Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 31. (Read 213559 times)

legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
Just out of curiosity is there any theoretical way to put another password on a file before handing it off to someone yet still have them able to know if they've found the original?
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
Given what you just said, I would guess that you know all the words that are in the password.  Therefore, the issue is most likely capitalization and/or punctuation.  Especially punctuation and numbers, which can easily be mistyped, or accidentally double-capitalizing like "WAlrus".  Or maybe a spacebar was tapped twice, or you have a "teh" in there.

It sounds like there's a lot of BTC there, so I would first spend a couple hours trying slight variations of it.  A couple hours seems like a lot, but that's the price you pay for forgetting your password!  And it's worth it if it actually works, because then you don't have to risk giving the wallet to anyone else.  And it might be faster than downloading and figuring out how to use some poorly made software specifically designed for cracking Satoshi wallet passwords but it doesn't quite work right...

Activity: 882
Merit: 1006
the password is quite memorable, which is why im surprised i misrecorded it- it is very long but a unique phrase and i must have misentered it twice while confirming it as my password.

so yes, i have a good idea of what the password is close to, and i would love for a reputable, trustworthy member to help me brute force it.

i will pay well Smiley

thanks again all

Why not search and find a password cracker that will brute force it for you, starting with your *intended* password?

I'm not familiar with any particular piece of such software, but I'm sure it exists, and is likely found with relative ease given a diligent search.

Feel free to send your bounty my way though. Grin

You would still need powerful hardware in order to crack it within a reasonable amount of time
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
the password is quite memorable, which is why im surprised i misrecorded it- it is very long but a unique phrase and i must have misentered it twice while confirming it as my password.

so yes, i have a good idea of what the password is close to, and i would love for a reputable, trustworthy member to help me brute force it.

i will pay well Smiley

thanks again all

Why not search and find a password cracker that will brute force it for you, starting with your *intended* password?

I'm not familiar with any particular piece of such software, but I'm sure it exists, and is likely found with relative ease given a diligent search.

Feel free to send your bounty my way though. Grin
Activity: 14
Merit: 0

i will pay well Smiley

thanks again all
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
Given enough time, it can be found.  But the system is designed to make brute forcing the password slower...

RIGHT NOW write down anything you can remember about the password.  Length, characters, patterns that are probably in the password.  Not only might this jog your memory, but it could reduce the search time by a factor of 1,000,000, and could be the difference between figuring it out eventually, or not at all.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time to attempt this, but I know there are folks out there who would.  Just be aware that unless you are "buying a script" to run on your own system, you will most likely be giving your wallet to someone and there's no guarantee that you'll get anything back once they find the password.  In other words, I would only send the wallet to members with a reputation at stake.

(I mean, there's no guarantees with anyone on the forums, but at some point you have to trust someone if the alternative is losing the coins forever)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
Do you remember any part of your password?  How many characters was it?  Any other aspects, like all-lowercase, or made of several words, or was it just random?

If we can narrow it down some it might be possible to brute force it.
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
Apparently I misrecorded my encrypted wallet.dat password. As such, I have lost access to a large amount of Bitcoins.  I can't imagine there is any recourse for hacking apart my wallet.dat and recovering any private keys, but if there is, I'll make it worth your while.

If anyone has any solutions to a lost wallet password, please let me know- I'm offering a 50-100BTC bounty for helping me unlock my lost BTC as soon as possible.

Thanks all
ez1btc
Pages:
Jump to: