Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 3. (Read 213440 times)

Activity: 582
Merit: 502
About five years ago I had in Bitcoin Wallet 12 BTC and I bought it $ 5 for each. I was keeping Encrypted password in Extrenal HD.
Then Extrenal HD crash and I lost password. I was using that time Dell Inspiration 1750 and weeks later crash Screen. I was calculating and not buy new Screen, but instead buy new computer. Dell was work if I hooked up extrenl screen. I bought new computer and Dell computer I put storage.
So, I have encrypted 16 numbers and letters lost password, but what I know is 10 password letters and numbers. 5 missing.
 Now I am at forum and try to put work brutal btcrecover, but at this point non working yet.
So I make offer.
If somebody help set up in my computer brutal btcrecover from A to B in WINDOWS, I WILL pay half bitcoin. If helping setup LINUX, I pay half bitcoin. If set up both  I will pay 1 bitcoin

Option 2
I sell Wallet.dat where is 12 BTC and all password information for 1 BTC or best offer.

Can I PM you?
uuh
Activity: 15
Merit: 0
About five years ago I had in Bitcoin Wallet 12 BTC and I bought it $ 5 for each. I was keeping Encrypted password in Extrenal HD.
Then Extrenal HD crash and I lost password. I was using that time Dell Inspiration 1750 and weeks later crash Screen. I was calculating and not buy new Screen, but instead buy new computer. Dell was work if I hooked up extrenl screen. I bought new computer and Dell computer I put storage.
So, I have encrypted 16 numbers and letters lost password, but what I know is 10 password letters and numbers. 5 missing.
 Now I am at forum and try to put work brutal btcrecover, but at this point non working yet.
So I make offer.
If somebody help set up in my computer brutal btcrecover from A to B in WINDOWS, I WILL pay half bitcoin. If helping setup LINUX, I pay half bitcoin. If set up both  I will pay 1 bitcoin

Option 2
I sell Wallet.dat where is 12 BTC and all password information for 1 BTC or best offer.
uuh
-snip-
I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing.

What exactly do you do? I did exacly like this tutorial say's

] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file

Do anybody knows where do download PyOpenCL Do we need Pythonxy ?
I also did downloads for Linux Ubuntu, Downloads go smootly, but in end, do anybody knows how do use Pyhton Terminal.
So, right now have problems on Windows and Linux.
I think if find and download windows  PyOpenCL, it will start and work and if find how give orders to Pyhton Terminal , it will work too. So, Anybody?Huh?

copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520
No I dont escrow anymore.
-snip-
I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing.

What exactly do you do?

Also I have problem with pyopencl download. In that Guide given web page  download , takes to Pytonxy download page and there have not the PyOpenCL download exe. So how and where to download?
I have TeamViewer and my E-Mail is: [email protected] . I am always at computer. IF somebody looks over TeamViewer what I do wrong? Please help!

Pythonxy is here now -> https://python-xy.github.io/downloads.html
uuh
What is the
1. btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt
2. tokens.txt

Cannot find btcrecover.py
I look every folder inside btcrecover-master.
No btcrecover.py
I understand inside btcrecover-master are Python script file called btcrecover.py,but cannot find it?
So where I put wallet.dat and I think tokens.txt
Very confused.

You need to create the token file for your case. Its explained here[1]. The wallet file and the token can be anywhere, but its easiest if they are just in the same folder with the btcrecover.py file.

If you download the .zip file from git and extract it the file is in the main folder. The same folder contains a TUTORIAL.md and a README.md.

I did it, but nothing starts. Nothing. Also I have problem with pyopencl download. In that Guide given web page  download , takes to Pytonxy download page and there have not the PyOpenCL download exe. So how and where to download?
I have TeamViewer and my E-Mail is: [email protected] . I am always at computer. IF somebody looks over TeamViewer what I do wrong? Please help!

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file
copper member
What is the
1. btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt
2. tokens.txt

Cannot find btcrecover.py
I look every folder inside btcrecover-master.
No btcrecover.py
I understand inside btcrecover-master are Python script file called btcrecover.py,but cannot find it?
So where I put wallet.dat and I think tokens.txt
Very confused.

You need to create the token file for your case. Its explained here[1]. The wallet file and the token can be anywhere, but its easiest if they are just in the same folder with the btcrecover.py file.

If you download the .zip file from git and extract it the file is in the main folder. The same folder contains a TUTORIAL.md and a README.md.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#the-token-file
copper member
-snip-
You can´t check 1600 passwords a second, sorry to dissapoint you.

Its not an estimate. Btcrecover[1] achives ~1.68kP/s on my GPU (GTX 970) vs. bitcoin core wallet files. I cant get it to work with UTF encoding, which slows it down significantly for certain passwords, but that might just be a problem on my end. The CPU (4th gen i5) does ~360kP/s vs. multibit key files (no GPU support) using the same set of tools. Things like the saber cluster[2] will rip weak passwords a new one and thats a "cheap" 1 year old cluster.

Most properly written encryption software will allow 1 per second if the iterations are set high. In your case, you may need the help of a professional. If you had a passphrase with a high bit rate you are going to have to remember a good portion of your password, and then a script can be written to attack it. Again though, if the encryption for the wallet was written propertly, you may only be able to try 1 password per second. I used a script written by someone else to crack my LUKS encryption password to a flashdrive. I knew what the pw was. just didn´t know what symbols I added to the beginning and end. I was able to incorporate the symbols I thought were used in the script and after several days i got it. however, i knew most of the passphrase. LUKS encryption only allows you to try 1 password per second because of high iterations.

Yes its possible to crank up the number of rounds to slow things down or even use a nested scheme of several encryption mechanisms like e.g. VeraCrypt or TrueCrypt, however most bitcoin wallets dont seem to use it to an extent that it slows attacks down to 1 try per second.

IIRC bitcoin core sets the number of rounds when creating the wallet for the first time. Its aiming at 1 attempt per second per core when it does it by itself. Its however possible to attack the wallet.dat directly or rather a certain string from it and not use core for it which can speed things up even on a CPU.

Just give btcrecover a try.

[1] https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover
[2] http://blog.cr.yp.to/20140602-saber.html
Activity: 51
-snip-
you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file.
-snip-

Its not as easy as you might think.

Lets say you have a good randomly generated password with 6 alphanumerical symbols [a-z,A-Z,0-9] and remember nothing about it. Thats 862 possible combinations. With 1600 passwords checked per second (its roughly what my GPU does on bitcoin core wallet files) it would take 1.9*1045 years to crack the password. Testing a few million passwords is no problem though, but you will have to remember a lot about your password to get there.

You can´t check 1600 passwords a second, sorry to dissapoint you. Most properly written encryption software will allow 1 per second if the iterations are set high. In your case, you may need the help of a professional. If you had a passphrase with a high bit rate you are going to have to remember a good portion of your password, and then a script can be written to attack it. Again though, if the encryption for the wallet was written propertly, you may only be able to try 1 password per second. I used a script written by someone else to crack my LUKS encryption password to a flashdrive. I knew what the pw was. just didn´t know what symbols I added to the beginning and end. I was able to incorporate the symbols I thought were used in the script and after several days i got it. however, i knew most of the passphrase. LUKS encryption only allows you to try 1 password per second because of high iterations.

The other option may be to try to do a forensic search to see if the password was cached somewhere? This is unlikely however, as good encryption software prevents this from happening.
copper member
-snip-
you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file.
-snip-

Its not as easy as you might think.

Lets say you have a good randomly generated password with 6 alphanumerical symbols [a-z,A-Z,0-9] and remember nothing about it. Thats 862 possible combinations. With 1600 passwords checked per second (its roughly what my GPU does on bitcoin core wallet files) it would take 1.9*1045 years to crack the password. Testing a few million passwords is no problem though, but you will have to remember a lot about your password to get there.
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 4193
Bitcoin wallets are protected with passwords for more security, you can even take a backup of your wallet in .dat format if you ever need it. But, a problem can arrive if you lost the password.
Hopefully,  you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file. This can save your wallet and your life actually, simple googling will get you many of these scripts.
But, it is recommended that you always remember your wallet password for being hassle free.
Definitely not the case if your password is secure enough. If you remember parts of your password, it would be easier to bruteforce as it can change less variables. If you don't remember your password and it gets easily bruteforced (when using a dictionary of commonly used passwords/bruteforcing randomly), you are better with no password. You can store your password in a more secure place.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Bitcoin wallets are protected with passwords for more security, you can even take a backup of your wallet in .dat format if you ever need it. But, a problem can arrive if you lost the password.
Hopefully,  you don't actually need to worry much as there are some scripts which you can perform on your PC which can take out the password from .dat file. This can save your wallet and your life actually, simple googling will get you many of these scripts.
But, it is recommended that you always remember your wallet password for being hassle free.
legendary
Activity: 1076
Merit: 1006
Canary in the crypto mine!
Need help for an altcoin *hyper* which is bitcoin core based i believe, i can pay for who unlocks the wallet, thanks!

Hi, did you unlocked your wallet yet?

I offered to help this user almost a month ago via PM and never received a response. From that, I guess they found a solution.
Activity: 582
Merit: 502
Need help for an altcoin *hyper* which is bitcoin core based i believe, i can pay for who unlocks the wallet, thanks!

Hi, did you unlocked your wallet yet?
legendary

PM'd  Smiley
legendary
Here, I whipped up something quick and dirty.  Just fill in your passphrase as close as you can remember, and make sure bitcoind is in the current dir.  It should print lots of "The wallet passphrase entered was incorrect" if it's working.

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby -w

passphrase = "oops"
characters = " !\"\#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~"

def test(phrase)
  print phrase, "\t"
  system("./bitcoind", "walletpassphrase", phrase, "20")
  case $?.exitstatus
  when 0
    puts "Found it!  #{phrase}"
    exit 0
  when 127
    puts "bitcoind not found in current dir"
    exit 1
  end
end

# transpose adjacent chars
(passphrase.length - 1).times do |i|
  testphrase = passphrase.dup
  testphrase[i] = passphrase[i+1]
  testphrase[i+1] = passphrase[i]
  test testphrase
end

# delete one char
passphrase.length.times do |i|
  testphrase = testphrase[0,i] + testphrase[(i+1)..-1]
  test testphrase
end

# substitutute one char
passphrase.length.times do |i|
  characters.chars.each do |c|
    testphrase[i] = c
    test testphrase
  end
end

# insert one char
(passphrase.length + 1).times do |i|
  characters.chars.each do |c|
    testphrase.insert(i, c)
    test testphrase
  end
end

puts "No luck."
exit 1

Good luck!

edit: This also requires a running bitcoind.
1. set "rpcpassword=somerandomcrap" in .bitcoin/bitcoin.conf
2. run "./bitcoind -daemon"
3. run "./bitcoind getinfo" until it starts returning data instead of errors
4. then run the script above.

Just wanted to add another THANK YOU to the list. Smiley Your script made it easy to regain access to a wallet.dat I had forgotten 1 of the characters in the password of.

Thank you so much for your work Revalin.
Activity: 240
Merit: 250
copper member
btchris, is there any btcrecover official thread yet, isn't?

I configured easily the GPU accelerated recovery over Windows 7 64bit. Nowadays I used as recommended all 32bit stuff, I will try the 64bit and Linux configuration later.

The setup is: Asrock H81 Pro BTC, Intel G3220, 2x 4GB RAM, 3x MSI R9 280X Twin Frozr with stock clocks.

Best results were with all combinations of --global-ws 32768, 65536 and --local-ws 64, 128, 256 averaging 11.25 kP/s. Pretty fast stuff.

Anyone have some other benchmarks to compare?

Did you test it against a bitcoin core wallet?

I got 1.65 kP/s with a single GeForce GTX 970 using --global-ws 65536 and --local-ws 1024, but somehow the password is not found, see screenshot below.

Activity: 28
How long does it take to generate a wordlist that will cover any combinations of 20 digits password?
Activity: 136
Apparently I misrecorded my encrypted wallet.dat password. As such, I have lost access to a large amount of Bitcoins.  I can't imagine there is any recourse for hacking apart my wallet.dat and recovering any private keys, but if there is, I'll make it worth your while.

If anyone has any solutions to a lost wallet password, please let me know- I'm offering a 50-100BTC bounty for helping me unlock my lost BTC as soon as possible.

Thanks all
ez1btc

I suggest you use Electrum Wallet for better future encryption, Even if you lost your wallet.dat , formatted your pc, But if you don't know the seed you won't get access to it
Activity: 200
https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover/blob/master/TUTORIAL.md#btcrecover-tutorial

It is better to keep the link here, incase someone needs in the future

I run the program around 8 hours to find out my password, i spent around 12 hours to prepare the wordlists and tokens

Basic Dos and C knowledge is enough

if i helped in any way 163hYNT9TRz3MvNfVAjKgrMp4KgamMRLjR
Pages:
Jump to: