Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 9. (Read 213440 times)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Dear Guys,

first, good work in this thread. Since 2 Month i have the same problem like forgot details of my passphrase.
I try to write my own modified code for generating a password list with ruby and use this list with john the ripper.

i used 2 sentence from the Book "Lord of the Rings" and copy & paste to the passphrase of my wallet and/or i forgot simply to mark some character of the right or left side...

much thank to you guys, i solved this 5min ago Cheesy It was a space character and some line breaks!!!! god, this takes nerves    

martin  Smiley    

Shall we prepare an Elven wordlist for the next time? Cheesy
Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Dear Guys,

first, good work in this thread. Since 2 Month i have the same problem like forgot details of my passphrase.
I try to write my own modified code for generating a password list with ruby and use this list with john the ripper.

i used 2 sentence from the Book "Lord of the Rings" and copy & paste to the passphrase of my wallet and/or i forgot simply to mark some character of the right or left side...

much thank to you guys, i solved this 5min ago Cheesy It was a space character and some line breaks!!!! god, this takes nerves    

martin  Smiley    
Activity: 56
Merit: 1
4-7 digits ranging from 4-8 would be implemented as follows:

Code:
%4,7[4-8]
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
Yes, it'll work with Litecoin-Qt wallets too, thanks to the fact that they use the same wallet container (BerkeleyDB) and mkey formats. I updated the docs.

Thanks for the script but i had no luck Sad could you possibly help me with making it generate 4-7 digits all ranging between 4-8?
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
this works on a ltc wallet as well? Also thanks for the help Smiley

Yes, it'll work with Litecoin-Qt wallets too, thanks to the fact that they use the same wallet container (BerkeleyDB) and mkey formats. I updated the docs.
this works on a ltc wallet as well? Also thanks for the help Smiley
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
I need the script to generate a password that must contain  6 and 7 within the parameters already set, if someone could help me modify the script that would be great Cheesy
i.e: it would generate
PASSWORD63427
PASSWORD364734

If nobody has offered up a modified ruby script yet, I can offer a python script instead...

Instructions: download the scripts from here: btcrecover download. These are Python scripts, so you also need to install Python, instructions are here: Installation requirements for Bitcoin-qt wallets. You just need Python, the other two libraries are optional for Bitcoin-qt.

Just to make sure that I understand, you need something that:
  • Always starts with PASSWORD
  • Ends with between 3 and 6 digits
  • Of those digits, must contain at least one 6 and one 7 (and possibly more)
If that's correct, then create a file with Notepad named exactly "btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt" that contains this:

Code:
#--pause --wallet wallet.dat --autosave progress.sav

# Starts with PASSWORD (required)
+ ^PASSWORD

# Has at least one 6, one 7, and one other digit (required)
+ 6
+ 7
+ %d

# Has up to three other digits (not required)
%d
%d
%d

After unzipping the btcrecover scripts, place the btcrecover-tokens-auto.txt file and a copy of your wallet.dat into the same folder as btcrecover.py and double-click btcrecover.py.

Of course, it's in your best interest to be paranoid: you may want to do all this inside a VM that has no Internet connection, or you may want to unplug your Internet connection while the script is running. If you're really paranoid, you can also take a look at this: extract-mkey README.

Good luck!
I need the script to generate a password that must contain  6 and 7 within the parameters already set, if someone could help me modify the script that would be great Cheesy
i.e: it would generate
PASSWORD63427
PASSWORD364734

It would always contain 6,7 within the numbers and have the ability to have 6 and 7 more than once

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby

middle = "PASSWORD"           # The known part in the middle
min_right = 3                  # The minimum number of chars on the left
max_right = 6                  # The maximum number of chars on the left
max_total = 6                 # The max total unknowns
chars = '456789'.chars.to_a # Possible chars to choose from
#chars << '\\'                 # ... plus backslash
#chars << "'"                  # ... plus single quote

def test(phrase)
  print phrase, "\t"
  system("./litecoind", "walletpassphrase", phrase, "20")
  case $?.exitstatus
  when 0
    puts "Found it! #{phrase}"
    exit 0
  when 127
    puts "bitcoind not found in current dir"
    exit 1
  when nil
    puts "Aborting"
    exit 1
  end
end

(1..max_total).each do |length|
  chars.repeated_permutation(length) do |str|
    max_offset = [max_right, length].min
    (min_right..max_offset).each do |offset|
      right = str.join[0,offset]
      left = str.join[offset,99] || ""
      test(middle + right)
    end
  end
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1029
Thanks a lot for the help people. I contacted revalin, and the guy who broken OPs password.

Basically not cracking this password isn't an option for me :|
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

It happened to my mom too which makes it worse Sad I didn't want to take responsibility for them. She made a super long complicated password, wrote it down, and a year later we come back to look at it and it has 2 symbols that are either a "t" or an "r" a symbol that is either a "6" or a "b" a third symbol which is either a "1" a "I" or a "l" and an "!" which might be ".'"

Ugh

You're welcome to try my new script (but you'd probably be the first to do so... Revalin is well trusted, and it's easy to see that his scripts aren't doing anything unexpected. Although my script is also viewable as just a text file, unless you're a Python programmer you'd be trusting me at least a little, some dude on the net you've never met...)

Anyways, if you'd like to try it, download the scripts from here: btcrecover download. These are Python scripts, so you also need to install Python, instructions are here: Installation requirements for Bitcoin-qt wallets. You just need Python, the other two libraries are optional for Bitcoin-qt.

Once the scripts file is unzipped, you'll need three files in the same folder as the btcrecover.py script: the wallet.dat file, a file (created with Notepad) named "token.txt" that just contains the password as best as you can tell, and another (Notepad) file that lists out which letters to try swapping for which others called "typos.txt" which should look something like this:

Code:
r t
6 b
1Il 1Il
! .

This just means that wherever there's an 'r' in the original password, try it with both the original 'r' but also with a 't' instead, and so on (there's a space between those two letters in that file). Actually it might be better to do this:

Code:
tr tr
6b 6b
1Il 1Il
!. !.

That way every 't' and every 'r' in the original is tried both as-is and swapped, and every '1', 'I', and 'l' is tried as-is and swapped with the other possibilities on the right, etc.

Then you need open a command prompt and try something like this:

Code:
cd c:\Downloads\btcrecover-directory
c:\Python27\python btcrecover.py --wallet wallet.dat --tokenlist token.txt --typos-map typos.txt --typos-capslock --typos-swap --typos-delete --typos 3

I added on three other types of checks (--typos-capslock --typos-swap --typos-delete); you can keep them, get rid of them if you don't think they'd help, or add other ones (complete list of different typos is here: different types of typos). Finally, that last option (--typos 3) is how many typos, at most, to try in any single guess. The higher it is, and the more of those different types of typos you add, the longer it will take...

Good luck.
Activity: 150
Merit: 100
Just try the original ruby script from Revalin. It substitudes, deletes and adds characters to the passpharase you remember.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.942017

To search faster delete all characters you don't need from "characters ="
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com
22.1 btc

I have tried 64 combinations. I need some password cracking software to push the boat a bit further out.

That is quite some stash there. Well I'd do it by hand until I was sure i tryed everything. But there are some guys here that can do it with scrypts, you may need to contact them so that they can setup the python scrypts for you!
legendary
22.1 btc

I have tried 64 combinations. I need some password cracking software to push the boat a bit further out.
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
snip

The fact that it's so easy to lose your money is a significant hindrance to adoption.  If we can't come up with a better way to solve this problem then Bitcoin will be stuck in a niche: it's too difficult for most people to handle.  You call yourself FiatKiller...  If that's really your goal then this isn't just a big deal, it's the whole game.  Even if you're just an investor then widespread utility and public confidence will give you far more benefit than you'll see from a small reduction in the money supply.

I haven't heard back from the OP but I hope he recovered his wallet.  Otherwise he's just another statistic, and that's not good for any of us.

My mom is in the same position as OP. Mine are safely in cold storage/paper wallet. Wanted to do the same for my mom who bought a long time ago, but we can't move them from her QT because the password she wrote down is ambiguous. Some things looks like they could be 1s or ls or Is etc. Hope you respond to my PM asking for help.

Thanks

try some quick and dirty things:

activate capslock and enter the password.
switch to another keyboard layout and enter the password (en -> de for example)

Thank you. I did try this to no avail. I wish bitcoin-qt had an option to "show password" as many people have said.

Hmm. For exactely this reason, I am only using Keepass 2 and copy paste everything directly out of the database. So this can never happen again. Must be so horrible to have this happen to oneself Sad

It happened to my mom too which makes it worse Sad I didn't want to take responsibility for them. She made a super long complicated password, wrote it down, and a year later we come back to look at it and it has 2 symbols that are either a "t" or an "r" a symbol that is either a "6" or a "b" a third symbol which is either a "1" a "I" or a "l" and an "!" which might be ".'"

Ugh

Well so there shoudln't be so many combinations. 1000 maybe (if everything else is correct). How much funds were in the database?
legendary
snip

The fact that it's so easy to lose your money is a significant hindrance to adoption.  If we can't come up with a better way to solve this problem then Bitcoin will be stuck in a niche: it's too difficult for most people to handle.  You call yourself FiatKiller...  If that's really your goal then this isn't just a big deal, it's the whole game.  Even if you're just an investor then widespread utility and public confidence will give you far more benefit than you'll see from a small reduction in the money supply.

I haven't heard back from the OP but I hope he recovered his wallet.  Otherwise he's just another statistic, and that's not good for any of us.

My mom is in the same position as OP. Mine are safely in cold storage/paper wallet. Wanted to do the same for my mom who bought a long time ago, but we can't move them from her QT because the password she wrote down is ambiguous. Some things looks like they could be 1s or ls or Is etc. Hope you respond to my PM asking for help.

Thanks

Thank you. I did try this to no avail. I wish bitcoin-qt had an option to "show password" as many people have said.

Hmm. For exactely this reason, I am only using Keepass 2 and copy paste everything directly out of the database. So this can never happen again. Must be so horrible to have this happen to oneself Sad

Ugh
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
snip

Thanks

legendary
snip

Thanks

legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
snip

Thanks

legendary
snip

Thanks
legendary
^^^^^is this legit? I am in the exact same situation as OP. Offered money to various people that helped the OP in this thread as I want to get these BTC back for my mom.
Pages:
Jump to: