Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 8. (Read 213440 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 1
If you're just looking for a few missing characters in an otherwise exact password, it wouldn't be difficult to write a computer program that could try all possibilities. The program shouldn't take long at all to try them all and report back to you if any of them worked.

The program already exists: btcrecover. Use the
Code:
--typos-delete 
feature to test all deleted character possibilities.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
- snip -

The keyboard of my old computer was sometimes malfunctioning, e.g. letters that did not appear on the screen despite hitting them.

Could it have been, that one or two letters continuously were not hit, while I thought I typed them and therefore wrote down on paper another password then I typed?

- snip -

If however this is the case, bruteforcing it might help. But still, in my attempt to create a safe password I created a phrase of around 35 letters and numbers , so I am not sure how feasible it is to crack it...

- snip -

If you're just looking for a few missing characters in an otherwise exact password, it wouldn't be difficult to write a computer program that could try all possibilities. The program shouldn't take long at all to try them all and report back to you if any of them worked.
Activity: 99
Merit: 10
I have been thinking it over and over and I came up with an idea what could be the cause (there is a small chance it is like this, but I cannot rule it out).

The keyboard of my old computer was sometimes malfunctioning, e.g. letters that did not appear on the screen despite hitting them.

Could it have been, that one or two letters continuously were not hit, while I thought I typed them and therefore wrote down on paper another password then I typed?

That could explain something. The shitty thing is, I later destroyed my keyboard when I trew over a glass of water, so now trying to get that computer to work and retype the password there is not going to work.

If however this is the case, bruteforcing it might help. But still, in my attempt to create a safe password I created a phrase of around 35 letters and numbers , so I am not sure how feasible it is to crack it...

In the mean time, I will keep looking for solutions. Any insight or advice is highly appreciated!

Best,

Clochard
I reinstalled the entire Bitcoin client, removed the new wallet.dat, introduced the backed up wallet.dat and opened the client. I can see my transactions but I cannot see saldo (probably after synchronizing) and I can still not change my password.

How the hell is that possible??

I have 1000% sure the correct password, I copy it from notepad into the field and it keeps repeating me it is incorrect.

Is there any way that the file has become corrupted or the password has changed?

And if I would manage to restart my old computer, would I be able to open my wallet there? The last time I tried to open my wallet there I got a system error: corrupt database

Anyone here that can help me out? It starts to stress me Wink

Many thanks!!

Clochard
The problem is, again, that when I only remove the wallet.dat file and I insert the old wallet.dat backed up file, it still states the password is wrong.

When I am completely certain the password is correct...

I can't work out what is wrong then. Try using btcrecover https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover

If that doesn't work, your file has probably become corrupted and you will need an expert to have a look at it and see if it can be repaired.
The problem is, again, that when I only remove the wallet.dat file and I insert the old wallet.dat backed up file, it still states the password is wrong.

When I am completely certain the password is correct...
So, given that my old password is correct (which I am quite quite certain about), these would be the steps to follow?

1: Deinstalling current bitcoin client
2: Removing all data, blocks, and current wallet.dat
3: Downloading new Bitcoin client
4: Removing wallet.dat new bitcoin client
5: Inserting old wallet.dat in the folder where the new wallet.dat was located
6: Open command: "bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan"
7: Let the client rescan all the blocks and once it is finished, I should be able to make transfers with my old password

Am I correct here on these steps?

Best,

Clochard

No need to remove all data and blocks. Other than that those are the right steps.
So, given that my old password is correct (which I am quite quite certain about), these would be the steps to follow?

1: Deinstalling current bitcoin client
2: Removing all data, blocks, and current wallet.dat
3: Downloading new Bitcoin client
4: Removing wallet.dat new bitcoin client
5: Inserting old wallet.dat in the folder where the new wallet.dat was located
6: Open command: "bitcoin-qt.exe -rescan"
7: Let the client rescan all the blocks and once it is finished, I should be able to make transfers with my old password

Am I correct here on these steps?

Best,

Clochard
Thanks for the suggestion. However I already tried that and it did not work. It still said the password was incorrect.

This is really incredibly weird since I have used that password before before I got the 'system error: database corrupt' notification on my old pc. It always worked perfectly and I always had the paper in front of me (with the password) when I typed it.

And now it does not work anymore...

OK try installing a fresh copy of bitcoin-qt.
Thanks for the suggestion. However I already tried that and it did not work. It still said the password was incorrect.

This is really incredibly weird since I have used that password before before I got the 'system error: database corrupt' notification on my old pc. It always worked perfectly and I always had the paper in front of me (with the password) when I typed it.

And now it does not work anymore...
Of course I did not Wink The old wallet.dat file is still backed-up on several usb sticks and since no transactions have been done since installing the new wallet, I suppose they should still work.

So I should go for deinstalling Bitcoin client from my pc, delete the new wallet.dat file, download again bitcoin client, deleting that new wallet.dat file as well, putting the old wallet.dat file in that folder and open the bitcoin client?

If I do that, I suppose it will still ask for a password when I want to do a transfer, but this will be my old password isn't it?

And if I am not misstaken, the old password should work like it has always done.

Am I right in these assumptions?

Thanks!

Clochard

No need to deinstall the client. Just rename your new wallet as newwallet.dat  and move a backup old wallet named wallet.dat  into the folder. Restart bitcoin-qt and you should be able to use the old password to change the password on the wallet.
Of course I did not Wink The old wallet.dat file is still backed-up on several usb sticks and since no transactions have been done since installing the new wallet, I suppose they should still work.

So I should go for deinstalling Bitcoin client from my pc, delete the new wallet.dat file, download again bitcoin client, deleting that new wallet.dat file as well, putting the old wallet.dat file in that folder and open the bitcoin client?

If I do that, I suppose it will still ask for a password when I want to do a transfer, but this will be my old password isn't it?

And if I am not misstaken, the old password should work like it has always done.

Am I right in these assumptions?

Thanks!

Clochard
When I installed the new Bitcoin client however, I felt a bit insecure and put a new password on it. I typed it twice and wrote it down and I am pretty sure also this password is correct. The coins and transactions showed up however.

Did you delete the old wallet.dat file? If not, you can use it to get your coins back and you can set a "new new password"
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
Hey guys,

I have a new pc, my old one was not working anymore and I installed Bitcoin Client to restore my bitcoins from the wallet from the other computer. I made a back-up last year around December. The old wallet was encrypted with a password that I have used multiple times, I have written down and I am 100% is correct.

Edit: there is one thing I should also mention and I am not sure if it is related to this. The last time I tried to open my bitcoin client in the old computer I received a blockchain error: database corrupted.

I tried to send my Bitcoins today from my Bitcoin client to electrum, and it requested a password.

When I installed the new Bitcoin client however, I felt a bit insecure and put a new password on it. I typed it twice and wrote it down and I am pretty sure also this password is correct. The coins and transactions showed up however.

Today when I was going to transfer the coins, I was confused which password I had to use: the old one, or the new one? So I have tried them both multiple times, but the Bitcoin client keeps repeating that it is the wrong password.

What is happening here? Both passwords I am more than 100% certain about.

I have done already the following things:

- Changing the name of the wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and putting the old back-up wallet.dat in the same folder, restarting Bitcoin client and attempting to make a transfer. I put the password, but again wrong...
- Trying variations on the passwords, with capital letters, without, etc.

I could still try desintalling Bitcoin client from this pc, delete all folders including the wallet.dat, install Bitcoin client again and putting there the old wallet.dat, without encrypting the new wallet with a new password. I am not sure if this is supposed to work?

Are there any other options to solve this issue? Luckily, I have written down the password at the time I made it (and used it some times), so even if there is a typo somewhere it should be something very close to what I wrote.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Best,

Clochard

If your pretty sure you know the password you may be one character out, Upper/lower case, you should use Revalin's script. (https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.942017)
Hey guys,

I have a new pc, my old one was not working anymore and I installed Bitcoin Client to restore my bitcoins from the wallet from the other computer. I made a back-up last year around December. The old wallet was encrypted with a password that I have used multiple times, I have written down and I am 100% is correct.

Edit: there is one thing I should also mention and I am not sure if it is related to this. The last time I tried to open my bitcoin client in the old computer I received a blockchain error: database corrupted.

I tried to send my Bitcoins today from my Bitcoin client to electrum, and it requested a password.

Today when I was going to transfer the coins, I was confused which password I had to use: the old one, or the new one? So I have tried them both multiple times, but the Bitcoin client keeps repeating that it is the wrong password.

What is happening here? Both passwords I am more than 100% certain about.

I have done already the following things:

- Changing the name of the wallet.dat to wallet1.dat and putting the old back-up wallet.dat in the same folder, restarting Bitcoin client and attempting to make a transfer. I put the password, but again wrong...
- Trying variations on the passwords, with capital letters, without, etc.

I could still try desintalling Bitcoin client from this pc, delete all folders including the wallet.dat, install Bitcoin client again and putting there the old wallet.dat, without encrypting the new wallet with a new password. I am not sure if this is supposed to work?

Are there any other options to solve this issue? Luckily, I have written down the password at the time I made it (and used it some times), so even if there is a typo somewhere it should be something very close to what I wrote.

Feedback is highly appreciated!

Best,

Clochard
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice
is there any script to do random password ? or any .bat file that can try every letter,number,symbol for 8 char password ?

Do you remember anything about the passphrase at all, I may be able to help you. roughly how many characters long it was? what it started with? or ended with?

Regards,

MrF
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658
is there any script to do random password ? or any .bat file that can try every letter,number,symbol for 8 char password ?
It would be better if you could remember some things about the password that would reduce the number of possibilities you need to try.

• Is it all uppercase letters?
  • Is it all lowercase letters?
  • If only some of the letters are uppercase, do you remember how many?
  • If only some of the letters are uppercase, do you remember which ones? (first character, last character, only vowels, only consonants, etc)
  • Are there any numbers?
  • How many numbers?
  • Do you remember the position of the numbers?
  • Are there any symbols?
  • How many symbols?
  • Do you remember the position of the symbols?
  • Are there any real words (even misspelled ones)?

The more details you can remember about the password, the fewer possibilities that need to be attempted, and the more likely that a custom program can be written to help you.
Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub

No... there are just too many, sorry...

Even if we leave out all non-US-ASCII letters, there are about 95 characters to choose from. That comes out to 6.6 quadrillion password permutations. Let's say you bought 4 of these (assuming it's a real product, I frankly have no idea...) for about $25,000 (USD) total, hired a software engineer to write custom software to use them for password searching instead of mining (maybe another 25-50k ??), paid for electricity and cooling (another 15k or so), then it would probably take less than 6 months to try all of them. Or you could use your home PC with mostly off-the-shelf software and be done in perhaps just 200,000 years, take your pick....  Sad

edited to add: sorry if I came off as snarky... I should have tried actually being helpful instead, like DannyHamilton has graciously done.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
LION Devloper, Graphics Designer!
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
For everyone asking about Multibit: Sorry, I don't have time to write an interface for it right now.  If someone creates a command line or JSON-RPC API I can use to test a password I'll be happy to plug my script into it.

Here is the JSON-RPC for recovering Multibit passwords.
This in only for Multibit, i'm working on Armory as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71434563/rpc-service.jar
Pages:
Jump to: