Pages:
Author

Topic: Encrypted wallet.dat, lost password, any solutions? - page 10. (Read 213440 times)

Activity: 672
Merit: 504
a.k.a. gurnec on GitHub
So, I'm another guy who's lost his password...

Luckily, I'm using Armory and I printed out my paper backups.
Unluckily, I also lost my paper backups... Roll Eyes
Luckily, I happen to have a background in software, so I went about making my own Revalin-style script.
Unluckily, they didn't end up doing me any good.
Luckily (maybe for someone else, anyways) I have a touch of OCD, so I kept playing around with my script, adding more and more stuff to it. It ended up being a good learning experience.

Anyways, I'm at the point where it could be useful to someone else, so I've put it up on GitHub: https://github.com/gurnec/btcrecover. It's open source, written in Python so anyone can check it out and make sure it's not doing anything funky with your wallet file. There's a tutorial (link at the bottom of this post) to get you started.

I really do hope it ends up being useful to someone, it would at least make me feel a little bit better Smiley

btcrecover

btcrecover is an open source Bitcoin wallet password recovery tool. It is designed for the case where you already know most of your password, but need assistance in trying different possible combinations.

Features
  • Bitcoin wallet support for:
    • Armory
    • Bitcoin Core
    • MultiBit Classic
    • Electrum
  • Supported on Windows, Linux, and OS X
  • Options to help minimize the search space - the more you remember about your password, the less time it will take to find
  • Multithreaded searches, with user-selectable thread count
  • Wildcard expansion
  • Typo simulation
  • Progress bar and ETA display (at the command line)
  • Interrupt and Continue searches without losing progress
  • Optional autosave - continue searches even after inadvertent interruptions or crashes

Please see TUTORIAL.md for more information, including installation instructions and requirements.

Activity: 73
Merit: 10
I've wrote free lost password tools at  lostpassword.info  I think it'll be a good step towards people regaining access to their lost passwords. If it can help anyone, awesome!
u store wallet .dat in your server too ?
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
I've wrote free lost password tools at lostpassword.info I think it'll be a good step towards people regaining access to their lost passwords. If it can help anyone, awesome!
Activity: 95
/
What if i know most of the characters, which are either in the very beginning or in the middle, but missing 3-5 characters(certain letters, numbers, and symbols), that are mostly at the end but might have one or two at beginning?

Then you need something like this:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ruby

middle = "password"           # The known part in the middle
min_left = 0                  # The minimum number of chars on the left
max_left = 2                  # The maximum number of chars on the left
max_total = 5                 # The max total unknowns
chars = 'abcd1234'.chars.to_a # Possible chars to choose from
#chars << '\\'                 # ... plus backslash
#chars << "'"                  # ... plus single quote

def test(phrase)
  print phrase, "\t"
  system("./bitcoind", "walletpassphrase", phrase, "20")
  case $?.exitstatus
  when 0
    puts "Found it! #{phrase}"
    exit 0
  when 127
    puts "bitcoind not found in current dir"
    exit 1
  when nil
    puts "Aborting"
    exit 1
  end
end

(1..max_total).each do |length|
  chars.repeated_permutation(length) do |str|
    max_offset = [max_left, length].min
    (min_left..max_offset).each do |offset|
      left = str.join[0,offset]
      right = str.join[offset,99] || ""
      test(left + middle + right)
    end
  end
end

Fill in the part you know for middle= and put in the characters you want to try in chars= .  If you want a backslash or single-quote then remove the # at the start of those lines.

Try to keep the chars list small. The time required increases very rapidly as you add more: 10 characters = 8 hours; 20 characters = 11 days; 30 characters = 3 months.

Can I use this on Windows and with earthcoin
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
165YUuQUWhBz3d27iXKxRiazQnjEtJNG9g
I've gotten behind on things.  Let's catch up:

For everyone asking about Multibit: Sorry, I don't have time to write an interface for it right now.  If someone creates a command line or JSON-RPC API I can use to test a password I'll be happy to plug my script into it.

Dogecoin, other altcoins: Try using the newer Net::HTTP scripts.  They're more reliable and easier to plug into altcoin wallets.  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1768970

Everyone who's sent me PMs: Thanks for being patient.  I'll reply when I can.

I remember 6 in the password but cannot remember the rest, 16 in total..

10 characters is too many.  Details:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4401257

If you can narrow down the search we might be able to help.

I run pywallet and this is what I get
The wallet is encrypted but no passphrase is used

This means you ran pywallet without the --password option.  It does not mean the wallet has an empty passphrase.

Another question is, what it's needed to change if I want to search for every possible solution with a script without any starting point. Any hints where I can read up about this?

First read this:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4401257

The practical limit of brute force is 5-6 characters.  If you think your passphrase is that short I can write a script for you.

It's great for the rest of us because less coins means more value for the ones that are accessible. Think of it this way, they cannot sell those coins cheap, so it keeps the price higher.

The fact that it's so easy to lose your money is a significant hindrance to adoption.  If we can't come up with a better way to solve this problem then Bitcoin will be stuck in a niche: it's too difficult for most people to handle.  You call yourself FiatKiller...  If that's really your goal then this isn't just a big deal, it's the whole game.  Even if you're just an investor then widespread utility and public confidence will give you far more benefit than you'll see from a small reduction in the money supply.

I haven't heard back from the OP but I hope he recovered his wallet.  Otherwise he's just another statistic, and that's not good for any of us.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
Wouldn't lost bitcoin be one of the inherent faults with the bitcoin system? It seems inevitable that a huge percentage of bitcoin will eventually be locked/unusable as people continue to lose their wallets or passwords, etc. What happens when 25% or 50% of bitcoin is "lost"? Of course, maybe by then, we'll have already moved on to a "better" cryptocurrency.

It's great for the rest of us because less coins means more value for the ones that are accessible. Think of it this way, they cannot sell those coins cheap, so it keeps the price higher.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
I'm offering a 50-100BTC bounty for helping me unlock my lost BTC as soon as possible.
old times Smiley, quite big reward now

And the greatest thing was "Revalin" Did not collected that 50-100 BTC Reward. Very sad.
question is, if he really could collect it
because saying you will give smth for smth is long way from giving it really Smiley
Activity: 56
I'm offering a 50-100BTC bounty for helping me unlock my lost BTC as soon as possible.

And the greatest thing was "Revalin" Did not collected that 50-100 BTC Reward. Very sad.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
Activity: 546
hm
Wouldn't lost bitcoin be one of the inherent faults with the bitcoin system? It seems inevitable that a huge percentage of bitcoin will eventually be locked/unusable as people continue to lose their wallets or passwords, etc. What happens when 25% or 50% of bitcoin is "lost"? Of course, maybe by then, we'll have already moved on to a "better" cryptocurrency.

Why would this be a problem?

There is nothing magical about the number 2,099,999,997,690,000.

If there are only 1,574,999,998,267,500 units of currency (25% loss) or 1,049,999,998,845,000 units of currency (50% loss) remaining, bitcoin will still work just as well.

I wonder how many coins are already lost. Wasn't there a list of knows losses?
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 4658

Why would this be a problem?

There is nothing magical about the number 2,099,999,997,690,000.

If there are only 1,574,999,998,267,500 units of currency (25% loss) or 1,049,999,998,845,000 units of currency (50% loss) remaining, bitcoin will still work just as well.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com

Satoshi said this is no problem, as lost coins just count as microscopic donations to all other account holders.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
Activity: 546
hm
Hey, anyone with ideas? I made a wallet with a password 4 months ago. To be sure I always use this procedere: Make a password (two time type in) and then create a few addresses (pw every time). So now I forgot my password. I used it maybe 2 times after creation and I had no problem. It should be around 30 characters (I don't know for sure) but I am pretty sure about the first 20 characters.

How would you manage that problem? (I stored there 0.4btc)

thx (sorry, I can't offer any real bounty for that amount)
GS7
Activity: 1
Hey guys,

I wanted to share my recent experience for people having a lost Multibit password.  I am very new to this cryptocoin world.  Upon a friend's recommendation I got a Multibit wallet, encrypted it, and started mining.  Of course I made up a different type of password than I normally use for added security, and after 20 days of mining I went to cash out my 1 bitcoin and had forgotten the password.  Didn't write it down or store it anywhere... whoops!  After searching the net and these forums., it seems like the Multibit wallets are the hardest to hack with the scripts found in this thread (great for your security, bad if you forget your own info!).  I'm clueless at programming, and after doing the usual suggested things (going back to where you put the password in, going to relax and hope it comes to you, and trying to brute force it with things you think you might have put/errors you could have made/extra char's/spaces/caps/nearby character errors, etc.) I had pretty much written my coin off.  

I had read about a guy named Dave at www.walletrecoveryservices.com and figured sending him my wallet info was worth a shot, since the worst case scenario would be losing my coin, which I had already essentially managed to do anyway.  After a couple days Dave was able to break into my wallet using the info I thought I knew about the password.  He then took his 20% fee, as we had agreed upon, and sent me the password to recover the remaining balance of my coins.  He could have taken the entirety of the wallet but he was fair and honest in the transaction.  If you're out of options, losing 20% of your wallet is a lot better than losing 100%  I'm really grateful to Dave for getting my coin back so I figured I should let the community know about my experience.  If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Gary

Activity: 44
Okay, So I lost my LTC password a while ago, and have just now wanted to get it back because of price
I remember 6 in the password but cannot remember the rest, 16 in total..

Would anyone be able to help me solve this one?
CrackTheWallet eh?  Cheesy

Indeed, sounds familiar  Wink
Activity: 42
Lost my wallet password for dogecoin-qt, going to try downloading recoinvery now and see if that works.
Activity: 13
I want to share my experience. I also encrypt your my wallet and then could not find the password. All passwords that I have tried to enter did not fit. But today I made it! And this password I have tried many times! When I encrypt the wallet, I did it through TeamViewer. And I suspect that this program was the reason that the wallet did not accept passwords. It has some sort of problem with language switching. Today I again login through TeamViewer - language was English. I switch the language, but it is still English. And I began to enter passwords and wallet accepted password! Perhaps my post will help someone. Excuse me for my english.
Activity: 378
Merit: 250
here comes the newest issue i need a complete setup for 1 off maybe in multiple locations of the pass like say password could be oasswird or psddeotf or the other side

I know, but it's your only hope. Next time look at the keyboard and be very careful as you type. You might be able
to paste a password also, like type it in notepad first to confirm the typing and then copy & paste it in. I have not tried
that yet, so not sure it will take a paste. I just found out recently that remote logins often will not let you do that, even
though the asterisks appear. Took me two days to figure-out what the problem was.  lol
Activity: 68
here comes the newest issue i need a complete setup for 1 off maybe in multiple locations of the pass like say password could be oasswird or psddeotf or the other side and then the possibility for fat finger lol
Pages:
Jump to: