Pages:
Author

Topic: [ESHOP launched] Trezor: Bitcoin hardware wallet - page 10. (Read 965789 times)

staff
Activity: 3402
Merit: 6065
I want to understand how this Dry-run process works exactly. From the blog, I can see that you have to type the seed on the website which defeats the whole purpose of having a hardware wallet, and after checking my Trezor, apparently, there is some "advanced recovery" option. I've read the manual but I want to be sure, is that the option that I should go with to type the seed in the device?
Activity: 2828
Merit: 767
I was reading the last blog article Trezor made and at the bottom, they added an image where it says "23% off" and some coins which I believe they support. Tether logo was there, I'm pretty sure that they don't currently support it, at least not without using a third party service. Can anyone confirm that they'll support it in the future?
Blog post last September 21,

High Chances that they would really support Tether.

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1031
I was reading the last blog article Trezor made and at the bottom, they added an image where it says "23% off" and some coins which I believe they support. Tether logo was there, I'm pretty sure that they don't currently support it, at least not without using a third party service. Can anyone confirm that they'll support it in the future?
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071
No need to worry Carlton Banks. I have just asked TREZOR team on their Telegram channel if they are going to discontinue trezor-mcu once they port trezor-core to the TREZOR One and the answer is... no! It looks like you won't be forced to upgrade your firmware in order to receive security updates.

Nice, thanks for checking that out

It'd be good if they could make a feature out of this for Trezor users (whether the Trezor 1 or the Trezor T). Force the user to choose:

• Security focused: a minimal firmware with minimal features, written in C (i.e. the trezor-mcu firmware that Trezor 1 uses today)
  • Feature focused: a more flexible firmware with more features, written in C/Micro Python (i.e. the new firmware that Trezor T uses)

Downloading the firmware is something the user must do anyway when they first set up the device. Giving them that choice when they install the firmware shouldn't be too hard.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 3131
No need to worry Carlton Banks. I have just asked TREZOR team on their Telegram channel if they are going to discontinue trezor-mcu once they port trezor-core to the TREZOR One and the answer is... no! It looks like you won't be forced to upgrade your firmware in order to receive security updates.
legendary
I really doubt that they won't discontinue trezor-mcu. They have a limited number of developers.

It will be difficult to market the device as the most secure, if they do this.

However, since the code is open-source, someone might continue to update the older software.

Or someone might continue to update the older software, and also sell their own device. I'd support that company instead, if so. It'd be a shame, Trezor has been very well handled upto now, except the time when they tried to close the source code of course.
legendary
I hope SatoshiLabs aren't planning on discontinuing development of the basic firmware, some people want a hw wallet that concentrates on security. "Feature expansion" is the road to increased attack vectors, a security compromise

The biggest problem for them is developing two separate firmwares at the same time. They released their own blockexplorer - Blockbook which they are constantly updating with new features and it definitely takes a lot of their precious time. Actually, many people expect them to support as many coins as possible rather than worry about security. I really doubt that they won't discontinue trezor-mcu. They have a limited number of developers. However, since the code is open-source, someone might continue to update the older software.
legendary
Another great news is that TREZOR Core (software created and maintained for TREZOR T) is being ported to the TREZOR One. This means that this device will get a few new features and coins

do. not. want.

I hope SatoshiLabs aren't planning on discontinuing development of the basic firmware, some people want a hw wallet that concentrates on security. "Feature expansion" is the road to increased attack vectors, a security compromise

Edit: apparently, SatoshiLabs will maintain security updates for the trezor-mcu firmware: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.46772564

staff
Is it worth buying a Bitcoin hardware wallet if you own a small amount of BTC?

If you have plans to accumulate more in the future or hold them for the long term (you could also use a paper wallet in this case) then yes otherwise, just make sure your computer is clean and stick with Electrum.
copper member
Activity: 60
Merit: 3
Is it worth buying a Bitcoin hardware wallet if you own a small amount of BTC?
legendary
I have got new information which might be interesting for some of you.

1) Monero won't be available in the TREZOR web interface due to security measurements. You will have to download Monero wallet and sync it with the network. Currently, its blockchain weights about 45 GB which is still less than Bitcoin's. Monero support will come in the TREZOR model T 2.0.8 update which surely won't be released this month.

2) TREZOR has launched their own wiki where you can find the most important information about your device.

3) TREZOR One got a security update on 30th August. This update should not wipe your device but don't proceed unless you have your seed nearby. TREZOR Core is currently being ported to this model.
legendary
PayBis looks more suitable for fiat trading. Do you have any idea If it will be possible to trade to PayPal, PerfectMoney and the other methods they support as well?

Short answer: Currently, it is not possible.

I have just checked it with my TREZOR T and that is how the "Exchange" menu looks like.

As you can see on the picture above, you can exchange your BTC to BCH, BTG, DASH, DOGE, ETH, ETC, LTC, XMR, XRP, ZEC or buy some directly from the latest TREZOR beta wallet. Since it is available only in the beta release of the wallet, they might consider adding sell option in the future. It is worth to mention that TREZOR warns user that these are third party services which are not associated with them.

Also, Monero and some other coins will be supported in the upcoming TREZOR T software update. Some code changes need to be merged into Monero.
legendary
TREZOR has decided to cut the price of TREZOR One by 20 EUR. Shipping has also become cheaper! Another great news is that TREZOR Core (software created and maintained for TREZOR T) is being ported to the TREZOR One. This means that this device will get a few new features and coins (as long as the device's memory isn't a limitation).

PayBis looks more suitable for fiat trading. Do you have any idea If it will be possible to trade to PayPal, PerfectMoney and the other methods they support as well?

I asked your question on their Telegram channel and I still haven't got any reply. Let me test it tomorrow.
staff
TREZOR now supports exchanging cryptocurrencies directly in their beta wallet. Currently, no KYC is needed but it might be forced in the future. The following services are supported: changelly, coinmama, changenow, paybis, coins switch. It might be really useful for those who didn't know that there was such an alternative to exchanges.

Source: https://twitter.com/Trezor/status/1042439948115296257?s=19

legendary
TREZOR now supports exchanging cryptocurrencies directly in their beta wallet. Currently, no KYC is needed but it might be forced in the future. The following services are supported: changelly, coinmama, changenow, paybis, coins switch. It might be really useful for those who didn't know that there was such an alternative to exchanges.

Source: https://twitter.com/Trezor/status/1042439948115296257?s=19
Activity: 698
Merit: 274
Crypto Currency Exchange, IPTV, AWS
I'm very impressed by the advanced security features of TREZOR.
However I have just one question, just for better understanding.
To create hidden wallets, you need to use different passphrases, each up to 50 ASCII char long, making the wallet generated from the 24 seed words and selected passphrase, resulting into 25 seed words.
Now when it comes to recover your hidden wallets (let's say you just lost your device), the only way to recover your hidden wallet will be to use an other TREZOR device and only (due to the 25 seed words). Am I correct or can I use also other wallets like Electrum to recover?

It should be possible to recover using Electrum as well, while typing the seed tick the "extend with custom words":

Cool
Thanks!
I will give a try and let you know if any issues.
staff
To create hidden wallets, you need to use different passphrases, each up to 50 ASCII char long, making the wallet generated from the 24 seed words and selected passphrase, resulting into 25 seed words.
Now when it comes to recover your hidden wallets (let's say you just lost your device), the only way to recover your hidden wallet will be to use an other TREZOR device and only (due to the 25 seed words). Am I correct or can I use also other wallets like Electrum to recover?

It should be possible to recover using Electrum as well, while typing the seed tick the "extend with custom words":

Activity: 698
Merit: 274
Crypto Currency Exchange, IPTV, AWS
legendary
Activity: 2758
Merit: 6830
OMG! Really Here, just go buy yourself one already.
bit.ly/2L6pw2I

Nice hidden ref link.
4. No referral code (ref link) spam. [1]
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1024
Really good and useful development - I think things will go well, many will want to buy. What is the approximate value of the device and when the sale is planned. It is also interesting with what currencies it is planned to work. Is it possible to exchange different currencies using the device in the future - by the type of exchanger. Thank you for your reply .

OMG! Really Here, just go buy yourself one already.
bit.ly/2L6pw2I
Pages:
Jump to: