Pages:
Author

Topic: ETH price soaring. Are you going to move some BTC into ETH? - page 61. (Read 198796 times)

Activity: 236
Merit: 100
BTC price has skyrocket recently, if not I think ETH would be around $10 easily.

Segregated witness has just been pushed to github, it is great news for BTC. Once people realize scalability problems are solved for now (Andresen predicted a 200% to 300% improvement on the nerwork)  Grin.

This means BTC transactions can increase at least 2x. I believe this is the reason for the BTC spike and only a few know about this since it has been released a few days ago. You can read more about it here:

http://bravenewcoin.com/news/segregated-witness-has-been-released-tackling-bitcoins-transaction-limit/
legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1000
I've recently checked their dapps and there are a lot of new ones so things are moving along. To be honest I'm not impressed with many of you saying ETH bubble popped...it's still above $7-8 so I think it's doing quite ok. It's logical if you think about it because there haven't been much news lately at all, so that's even more impressive.

BTC price has skyrocket recently, if not I think ETH would be around $10 easily. I really don't know where both are going really, crypto is completely unpredictable. If I have to guess, Bitcoin will be close to $500 before the halving but a huge drop will come after that of right after China devalues and nothing happens. Eth will hang around $5-10 for many months but could really benefit if BTC doesn't go anywhere this year and blocksize issues remain unsolved.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
So now everybody know it is not about demand it is all about hype..

The Ethereum is useful. It can be used in smart contracts. No other coins can be that user at the present.

Wrong Bitbay offers it with their new wallet, so does Stellar.
But the concept/ idea is actually quite nice. Having users building apps etc.
Activity: 201

The Ethereum is useful. It can be used in smart contracts. No other coins can be that user at the present.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
Activity: 420
Merit: 250
What i can buy With ETH?
What concerns me greatly is that THIS is still the 64 satoshi question,
and my previous profiteering in ETH was strictly Najerian day-trading...

It looks like a lot of projects are in the process and if just a few of them becomes popular I'm sure more merchants will try to get access to the valuable currency.

http://dapps.ethercasts.com/
Activity: 1610
Merit: 372
What i can buy With ETH?
What concerns me greatly is that THIS is still the 64 satoshi question,
and my previous profiteering in ETH was strictly Najerian day-trading...
Activity: 252
Join The Blockchain Revolution In Logistics
its always the same thing  just example

Launche of ETH : We  Are creating a incredible coin, with a lot of anon features , great developers fair distribution ETC..

and the problems are always the same (i am telling this because the problems is realy always the same)

Find something usefull for the coin (not just make hype)

And the question is the same of 10 years ago

What i can buy With ETH?

well the only thing i kepp going with ETH is my new recently mining RIG

was nice to met you ETH bye bye Grin
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1035
it's going back to less than $1 ... but will take a loooong time to get there.

Agreed, just like most other alts... slow capitulation.

Greg had an excellent post why ETH doesn't make any sense...

On the pedantic points, I echo what tucenaber just said-- and I could not say it better.  (Also, see #bitcoin-wizards past logs for commentary about total languages. I also consider that a major useful point for languages for this kind of system).

People looking for "turing complete" smart contracts inside a public cryptocurrency network are deeply and fundamentally confused about what task is actually being performed by these systems.

It's akin to asking for "turing complete floor wax".   'What does that? I don't even.'

Smart contracts in a public ledger system are a predicate-- Bitcoin's creator understood this. They take input-- about the transaction, and perhaps the chain-- and they accept or reject the update to the system.   The network of thousands of nodes all around the world doesn't give a _darn_ about the particulars of the computation,  they care only that it was accepted.  The transaction is free to provide arbitrary side information to help it make its decision.

Deciding if an arbitrarily complex condition was met doesn't require a turing complete language or what not-- the verification of a is in P not NP.

In Bitcoin Script, we do use straight up 'computation' to answer these questions; because that is the simplest thing to do, and for trivial rule sets, acceptably efficient.  But when we think about complex rule-- having thousands and thousands of computers all around the world replicate the exact same computation becomes obviously ludicrous, it just doesn't scale.

Fortunately, we're not limited to the non-scalablity-- and non-privacy-- of making the public network repeat computation just to verify it.  All we have to do is reconize that computation wasn't what we were doing from the very beginning, verification was!

This immediately gives a number of radical improvements:

"The program is big and I don't want to have to put it in the blockchain in advance." ->  P2SH, hash of the program goes into the public key, the program itself ends up being side information.

"The program is big but we're only going to normally use one Nth of it-- the branches related to everything going right"  -> MAST, the program is decomposed into a tree of ORs ans the tree is merkelized. Only the taken OR branches ever need to be made public; most of the program is never published which saves capacity and improves confidentiality.

"The program is big, and there are fixed number of parties to the contract. They'll likely cooperate so long as the threat of the program execution exists."  -> Coinswap transformation; the entire contract stays outside of the blockchain entirely so long as the parties cooperate.

"The program is big, and there are fixed number of parties to the contract, and I don't care if everything just gets put back to the beginning if things fail." -> ZKCP; run _arbitrary_  programs, which _never_ hit the blockchain,  and are not limited by its expressive power (so long as it supports hash-locked transactions and refunds.)

"The program is kinda big, and we don't mind economic incentives for enforcement in the non-cooperative case"  -> challenge/response verification; someone says "I assert this contract accepts," and puts up a bond. If someone disagrees, they show up and put up a bond to say it doesn't. Now the first party has to prove it (e.g. but putting the contract on the chain) or they lose their bond to the second party, if they're successful they get the bond from the second party to pay the cost of revealing the contract.

"The program is too big for the chain, but I don't want to depend on economic incentives and I want my contract to be private." ->  ZKP smart contracts; PCP theorem proves that a program can be proved probabilisticly with no more data than log the size of its transcript.  SNARKS use strong cryptographic assumptions to get non-interactive proofs for arbitrary programs which are constant size (a few hundred bytes). Slowness of the prover (and in the case of snarks, trusted setup of the public key-- though for fixed sets of participants, this can be avoided) limit the usefulness today but the tech is maturing.

All of these radical improvements in scalablity, privacy, and flexibility show up when you realize that "turing complete" is the wrong tool, that what our systems do is verification, not computation.  This cognitive error confers no advantage, outside of marketing to people with a fuzzy idea of what smart contracts might be good for in the first place.

More powerful smart contracting in the world of Bitcoin will absolutely be a thing, I don't doubt. But the marketing blather around ethereum isn't power, it's a boat anchor-- a vector for consensus inconsistency and decentralization destroying resource exhaustion and incentives mismatches. Fortunately, the cognitive framework I've described here is well understood in the community of Bitcoin experts.

legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
it's going back to less than $1 ... but will take a loooong time to get there.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Immediate target: .0235

Well, it's close now: 0.0224, or about $9.65.

$9.33 actually ..and dropping ..still.

As of now, it's down further to <0.018 or about eight bucks. Hmmm...
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Altcoins don't ever really die; they just become irrelevant.  Most ETH support was from those looking to make quick profit from it; which seems to have passed along with all the super shills.  I don't think ETH is dead, just the profiteer bubble.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010
BTC to the moon is inevitable...
at this point ETH is just having some dead cat bounces and that is all there is.
don't try to see too much into it and even if you want to trade it make sure to get out before the dump happens again.
with the bitcoin price rising ETH will disappear soon.

I think the Etheruem is in the consolidation phase. After a few months, its price will rise above $20.

you can "think" that will happen and nothing will make me happier than to buy ETH again and dump at higher price to make more money easy.

but in a couple of months bitcoin will be all that matters in crypto market and all these alts will fade away specially an altcoin like ETH that has been shit-talking about bitcoin all these time and wanted to replace it.

others like LTC might rise with bitcoin but not alts like eth.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 278
at this point ETH is just having some dead cat bounces and that is all there is.
don't try to see too much into it and even if you want to trade it make sure to get out before the dump happens again.

I think the Etheruem is in the consolidation phase. After a few months, its price will rise above $20.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010
BTC to the moon is inevitable...
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
The Ethereum price is around 0.018 now, it is almost 50% of the all time high. If it drops further, I will buy some.
Activity: 201
ETH will strong to 0.03 Huh

At the moment, the price of Ethereum dropped to 0.019. It seems the correction will last several months.
Activity: 101
Merit: 10
where can we get an ethereum tee shirt ,  like the one vitalik wears.  I'd like to dress like the genius.
Activity: 252

It might go to 0.03 or 0.037 in the next few months. But in the next few weeks, it will be around 0.02.
Activity: 392
ドラゴンスピ
Pages:
Jump to: