Pages:
Author

Topic: Ethereum: 2nd gen cryptocurrency with contract programming, "dagger" hashing - page 24. (Read 84312 times)

Activity: 441
Merit: 250

Charles said: "If someone codes a Proof of Stake sub-currency then people can use Ether to buy that sub-currency." <- BTC could be used to buy in with the POS currency as well. In which way is the POS currency in this example tight to Ethereum? How do the contracts come in play here?

This is because a new currency is instantiated through a contract on the ethereum blockchain if i am not mistaken. The details of some contract implementations are in the whitepaper.
What exactly does "instantiated" mean? What advantages do you have from it as a POS developer? In which way can you use the Ethereum base layer here?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004
how bout if it's not roi within X years as promise, Y% of the invested coins shall be returned to the donators.

Well there is always big risk connected to big roi expectations.
But if the math above is right, it won´t be a big business to invest in etherium, more to use the features and/or invest in them if it will be possible.

Yeah, seems like a competitor to eMu, people are going to get killed on the IPO price, I see people selling at 10x lower in a few months.
Activity: 46
Merit: 0

Charles said: "If someone codes a Proof of Stake sub-currency then people can use Ether to buy that sub-currency." <- BTC could be used to buy in with the POS currency as well. In which way is the POS currency in this example tight to Ethereum? How do the contracts come in play here?

This is because a new currency is instantiated through a contract on the ethereum blockchain if i am not mistaken. The details of some contract implementations are in the whitepaper.
Activity: 441
What exactly is the business model of Ethereum? Is it to require DACs that build upon Ethereum to have ether transaction fees in addition to the DAC's own transaction fees? Charles answered it this way "Services launched on ethereum are fee regulated and thus require Ether to function" Not yet super clear to me... 

Also: Will the acquired amount in of btc be announced before the IOU is over?

Vitalik, you addressed distribution but not the economic model relevant for ROI. Others have said it this way:

It appears investors get 0.25 of all ether which is halved after one year to 0.125 of all ether due to first year ether inflation.  If ether increases 8 times in value in bitcoin terms, we make 0% ROI. 

If adoption of ether takes more than 12 months for it to increase 8 fold in bitcoin terms then ROI is negative in year one.

Over five years, ether depreciates by 50% again to 0.625. So, hopefully over that five year period, ether gains in value by more than double in bitcoin terms or if calculated from inception, greater than 16 times in bitcoin terms.

In fiat terms, if bitcoin increases in value by say 20 times fiat in 2014, then ether will need to increase by 160 times! for ether to break even in year 1.

Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Someone would have to be holding 60x as many ether coins as they do Bitcoins, to be holding the same percent of the pie.

.0001 is an absolutely insane starting price for a coin that will eventually have 1 trillion in circulation.
Activity: 784
Merit: 500
how bout if it's not roi within X years as promise, Y% of the invested coins shall be returned to the donators.

Well there is always big risk connected to big roi expectations.
But if the math above is right, it won´t be a big business to invest in etherium, more to use the features and/or invest in them if it will be possible.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002
Bitcoin is new, makes sense to hodl.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

i am very very curious about this project.

if i use a quadcore porcessor and cpu mine this will it be profitable?

i would really like to know what to invest in to get the best results in mining.
k99
Activity: 346
Merit: 255
Manfred Karrer
Trolls focus on distribution model and are instant experts...  Huh
Distribution is an economic topic and knowing how to code doesn't signalize an economic ability.

When one use the worlds profit and fairness in the same paragraph either he is full of shit (most CEOs) or doesn't fully understand what he is talking about (almost everybody else in society).
Welcome to my ignore list, Mr. genius.
Activity: 149
Ethereum
Thanks Vitalik for participating in the thread.

I've posted an Open Letter to the Foundation which I hope you'll have time to take a look at: http://www.ursium.com/open-letter-ethereum-foundation/

Activity: 266
Help and Love one another ♥
(not wishing to spam, 'just informing I edited my post #139.
A long post about PoB, clarifying confusion about it. For those interested. Slightly off topic.)
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
But I still have not find any answer yet for one of the most critical questions for me:
How does Ethereum protect itself from an 51% attack in the bootstrapping phase?

Here is my idea for ur consideration - http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/1v78zi/protection_against_51_attack_in_bootstrapping/ceq456q
legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
Trolls focus on distribution model and are instant experts...  Huh
Distribution is an economic topic and knowing how to code doesn't signalize an economic ability.

When one use the worlds profit and fairness in the same paragraph either he is full of shit (most CEOs) or doesn't fully understand what he is talking about (almost everybody else in society).
Activity: 215
Shamantastic!

...Thanks a lot tacotime for making the thread and representing us. I actually did just formalize the PoS algorithm I had briefly sketched out this morning: http://blog.ethereum.org/?p=39/slasher-a-punitive-proof-of-stake-algorithm...

Slasher looks terrific!
TacoTime gets a shoutout and thanks!
Trolls focus on distribution model and are instant experts...  Huh
Vitalik, hope to be sending code for testnet as soon as it is up for public beta.

Good work all around, can't wait.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction
What's the expected ROI for early investors?

I mean the total market will have 1 trillion! coins and the early investors cant dump them for years?

Correct me if I am wrong, just want to clarify my perspective!

Overall a great innovation.
It appears investors get 0.25 of all ether which is halved after one year to 0.125 of all ether due to first year ether inflation.  If ether increases 8 times in value in bitcoin terms, we make 0% ROI.  

If adoption of ether takes more than 12 months for it to increase 8 fold in bitcoin terms then ROI is negative in year one.

Over five years, ether depreciates by 50% again to 0.625. So, hopefully over that five year period, ether gains in value by more than double in bitcoin terms or if calculated from inception, greater than 16 times in bitcoin terms.

In fiat terms, if bitcoin increases in value by say 20 times fiat in 2014, then ether will need to increase by 160 times! for ether to break even in year 1.

Who will invest then? The ROI seems much worse than eMunie
legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
Are devs some kind of hippies?

I guess the answer is no since they take 12,5% of every bitcoins so they like money. But why are they treating other people money so badly?

So they worked hard for a good distribution model.
Well, guys I have an idea! Everybody give for free their BTC to the most people they can and the distribution of BTC will be awesome! Phew, that was hard but I think I come with an awesome distribution model.

Tip : money flow where it's treated best. Don't treat so badly your investor money.
k99
Activity: 346
Merit: 255
Manfred Karrer
"We believe that centralization and decentralization both have their value, and must be used at the appropriate times. Startups, in practice, generally have to be dictatorial. However, institutions that are at the base level of society should ideally not be controlled by anyone. To that end, the way that we are structuring both the organization and the issuance model is that we will have a large amount of influence at the beginning, but that influence will quickly decay over time as the years progress."

Thanks Vitalik for the posting. Looking forward for the brilliant project.

But I still have not find any answer yet for one of the most critical questions for me:
How does Ethereum protect itself from an 51% attack in the bootstrapping phase?

A political (non-economical) motivated attacker (Banks, State) could buy in cheap from day 1 with mining a huge portion, stay silent and use the >51% power when they want to break it down. Some altcoins have been killed in the bootstapping phase by such attacks (probably just by someone wanting to demonstrate that its possible).
I guess Ethereum is on the radar of people in charge of securing the states/banks power and those people will see the huge potential in it. So I guess the threat is much higher than with all those boring alt coins clones we have seen in the last months...

I described some ideas and possible solutions to the above proble here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/ethereum/comments/1v78zi/protection_against_51_attack_in_bootstrapping/
Activity: 140

I mean the total market will have 1 trillion! coins and the early investors cant dump them for years?

It appears investors get 0.25 of all ether which is halved after one year to 0.125 of all ether due to first year ether inflation.  If ether increases 8 times in value in bitcoin terms, we make 0% ROI.  

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1000
Reality is stranger than fiction

Activity: 266
Help and Love one another ♥
Thank you Vitalik for joining the topic.

I value your idea, and ultimately your project will be - and start - how you wish it to be.
However I am a bit sad you got influenced by LeoC without thinking twice about what he wrote.
About proof of burn, you two are just wrong.

Let's not mix everything.

First, as mentioned by LeoC, proof of burn is a non-starter for our use case, because PoB cannot be independent. That is to say, with PoB an Ethereum client would need to also have a Bitcoin blockchain and would be dependent on the Bitcoin blockchain for validity checking. I absolutely do not want to have external dependencies in Ethereum
You both are confuse.
PoB is not equal to XCP. Counterparty is only a project using PoB for it's XCP distribution.
While I fully agree XCP cannot be independent, that just doesn't apply to PoB by itself. It's a choice.
LeoC has a fixation on XCP and answered about XCP where I was talking purely about PoB.

Basic example:
You take Next, instead of having an IPO, you start with PoB as only way to get NXT.
You end with a cryptocurrency fully independent from all the other, relying only on PoS for security.
XCP is a metacoin. All metacoin are intrinsically dependent on another blockchain (whatever which one).
PoB is a method for wealth transfer and distribution in trustlessness. PoB is not a coin, even less a metacoin.

Absolutely nothing prevent Ethereum to use only PoB and remain 100% independent. It's a choice.
The reason PoB is a non-starter for most are completely other reason.
The main one are: money & 1-time all-coin-created model.

With regard to the "founders get some for free" factor, what people need to understand is that every currency, including BTC, QRK, MSC and Ripple, so far has privileged its founders in some fashion.
Not every currency. All except one. XCP.
I suppose the top1 reason that make dev disregarding PoB is that there is less quick/easy benefits for themselves & development instant$ reward/salary.
The main problem with PoB is that the dev, the betatester, the investor : EVERYONE is on the same level.
Some see that as a problem, some see it the opposite way, 'a much awaited change.
All have to risk destroying their money for a possible future gain.
The main problem with PoB compare to IPO is that you do not have the possibility of arbitrarily taking x% in order to reserve them for salaries or bounties.
In an over simplified way: dev works for free.
The only income they might get depend on the amount they burn, the work they provide, the success they help to give to their project, the community work toward this project, etc.
For work to be done:
- if bounties or salaries, it is from the dev pocket or from the community donation.
- otherwise it is for free. Dev, outside dev & everyone all helping each other to their level.

IPO & bounties/salaries are very capitalist-based. It's might be free speech (open source) but it's definitely not free beer. Only money matter.
With pure PoB, it's definitely closer to "free speech free beer".
The approach is completely different. It's another mind set. Another approach.

Suppose I'm a outside dev.
If dev chose IPO and made lots of money, sure as hell I wanna be paid for any work I give to help their project.
With pure PoB approach, I tell myself: wow the dev finance everything from the start with their own pocket.
Donation is optional, that make me want to give, at least a tiny little.
Working for free or very low immediate $reward? yes, I don't mind, it's fits my idea ideal.
I wish to support this project that's started on such awesome foundation.
It's a real communitarian project.

As Vitalik wrote "It is ultimately up to the community to decide whether or not this issuance model is valuable."
An issuance model can be more or less valuable.
But more than that, it's the idea that it represent that is valuable or not.
The Style - as I call it - has more or less value.
NXT crappy style of distribution (stopped without warning before end time leading on purpose to bad repartition) -> very bad style.
I deeply love the 100% PoS idea, but the style, the idea-reflected by NXTdev make that Next has absolutely no value to my eye.
It's in total contraction to my idea ideal, therefore I decided to never put money in it.
Missed a x27 train, whatever, at least I stay true to myself.
Of course the real end value is decided by the global community, not by a single individual.
It's up to every single one of you to make your own choice.
To support the idea or style that you prefer. In addition to risk, ROI, etc.

Of course having $25 millions for development will tend to make it move quicker.
It's the same analogy that microsoft vs GNU/Linux, all over again in a new context.
Do you wish to work for microsoft and be sure to be paid now?
Or do you wish to support the fundamental idea behind open source software?
Second option (PoB/no-boutie vs IPO/boutie) will very probably give you less money right now.
Yet imagine if a thousands dev choose the second option!
You can be pretty sure that on middle/long term, if the basic idea/project are good, everyone is gonna be awesomely rich.
The dev, the betatester, the burner, etc.
All on the same level: according to what you burn + the global work/pub/success.

I'm feed up writing about PoB. And most of those still reading are probably too.
So I'm gonna stop talking about PoB.
Just wished to make due correction and share my idea/ideal.
('can redirect people to this post in the future)

When you're putting BTC into a proof of burn, through the deflation effect you're effectively donating your money to large BTC early adopters.
You do not give them anything... Their BTC is not suddenly worth more. It's psychological.
At best it's stay as stable as now for them forever.
If Ethereum goal were really to remplace bitcoin, which actual capacities to do so: then Bitcoin ultimately will lose value compare to ether over time.
Not win. Scarcity alone doesn't fix any value.

Lot's of thing I wish to express about Ethereum itself. (this post was a bit off topic)
But it will be for another time.
I have a life outside this forum.

Anyway, best of luck to your project. Whatever it will concretely be at the end.
There is still space for communication with the community, and many possible amelioration.
Activity: 596
Merit: 500
Pages:
Jump to: