Pages:
Author

Topic: Experimenting with Jalapeno firmware... - page 29. (Read 62593 times)

donator
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.

I haven't done this... but when you click watch, the thread goes on your "watchlist" right? Most people (myself include) probably check the "new replies to your posts" all the time, but not the watchlist.

Anywho... one post closer to 500.  Roll Eyes
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
Was the copy protect bit set?  Could you download the firmware to save it?  (I assume AVRs have that just like PICs)

I have no idea since I wasn't using the correct software.

Current firmware theoretically tests the hardware error count and clocks accordingly when you're starting it up, so theoretically you should let it cool down before firing it up again for it to choose the higher rate Wink

I thought that since __DO_NOT_TUNE_CHIPS_FREQUENCY is set to 1 in std_defs.h, it wasn't going to tune the chips and use a static frequency setting. Unless the source code doesn't necessarily reflect what is being shipping right now. I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at the code so I could have missed something.
The firmware specifically distributed appears to be for the single - if you look at what defines are enabled - not the Jalapeno or 5GH or 7GH or whatever it's being called now, so I'm guessing that if you have one that changes clocks, you have firmware that differs from what was distributed. Nasser confirmed that it would clock according to error rate, so I'm assuming that's what's causing your different speeds. Stick it in the fridge.
Activity: 516
Merit: 500
Can you actually change between 5 GH/s and 7 GH/s on an upgraded unit?
Or will it always run on 7 GH/s.
Activity: 121
Merit: 100
Was the copy protect bit set?  Could you download the firmware to save it?  (I assume AVRs have that just like PICs)

I have no idea since I wasn't using the correct software.

Current firmware theoretically tests the hardware error count and clocks accordingly when you're starting it up, so theoretically you should let it cool down before firing it up again for it to choose the higher rate Wink

I thought that since __DO_NOT_TUNE_CHIPS_FREQUENCY is set to 1 in std_defs.h, it wasn't going to tune the chips and use a static frequency setting. Unless the source code doesn't necessarily reflect what is being shipping right now. I haven't spent a whole lot of time looking at the code so I could have missed something.
cp1
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
Stop using branwallets
June 17, 2013, 11:23:57 PM
Activity: 237
June 17, 2013, 11:19:45 PM
Im going to put mine in the fridge for a while before turning it back on.
June 17, 2013, 10:56:45 PM
I received my Jalapeno with the 2 GH/s upgrade two days ago. There might be a flaky engine in the chips because sometimes it will hash at 7.65 GH/s when I restart the miner, but mostly it runs at 7.4 GH/s. The difference is 250 MH/s, so it makes sense if one engine didn't initialize properly if the chips ran at 250 MHz.

I have noticed that there was a better chance of running at 7.65 GH/s when I let the unit cool.
-ck
legendary
Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631
Ruu \o/
June 17, 2013, 10:53:17 PM
I received my Jalapeno with the 2 GH/s upgrade two days ago. There might be a flaky engine in the chips because sometimes it will hash at 7.65 GH/s when I restart the miner, but mostly it runs at 7.4 GH/s. The difference is 250 MH/s, so it makes sense if one engine didn't initialize properly if the chips ran at 250 MHz.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1185
dogiecoin.com
June 17, 2013, 10:36:15 PM
Why do people post "watching" rather than pressing the watch button and watching? Ah yes, to increase post count.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1018
Buzz App - Spin wheel, farm rewards
June 17, 2013, 09:59:29 PM
Extra spicy?
legendary
Activity: 1015
Merit: 1000
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1006
Bitcoin / Crypto mining Hardware.
June 17, 2013, 09:51:35 PM
watching
June 17, 2013, 09:17:03 PM

With the recent release of the source code for the firmware, I decided to take a look at it and I installed Atmel Studio. The project loaded up and compiled fine.

I attempted to then access the firmware via JTAG. I didn't have the proper JTAG programmer, all I had was a old Xilinx DLC5 based parallel port cable that I made. I found an open source JTAG programming software (UrJTAG) and the microcontroller (AT32UC3A1256) was detected fine. The problem was that the microcontroller wasn't supported by the software, so I used a somewhat similar part and checked some of the instructions and they looked the same. But, I didn't check everything. I tried to read back the contents of the flash but what I got back was nothing (just a bunch of FFs). But, after that operation, it effectively bricked my jalapeno. It does not boot up anymore.

So, I ordered a proper programmer (AVR Dragon) that will work with AVR studio and the microcontroller. I'll let you guys know in about 2 days whether or not I get my jalapeno working again. And if it does work again, I can start tinkering with the firmware.
Pages:
Jump to: