Pages:
Author

Topic: Face unlock on bitcoin wallet devices - page 5. (Read 604 times)

Activity: 966
Merit: 340
August 30, 2023, 03:22:01 AM
It is on this forum that I knew using fingerprint to unlock wallet device is not good, specifically mobile phones. We know already that we should not have too much bitcoin on a mobile wallet. Let us assume that you have little amount of bitcoin on a mobile bitcoin wallet like Electrum or Bluewallet but you still want security.

Fingerprint is not secure, what about face unlock?

Do we really need it? For me not necessary needed to have.

Since you just need to secure your wallet and for that nothing will happen to you. If you are afraid on your balance stored because you are participating on many investment or other risky actions then try to have separate device and have dummy wallet since from doing this I'm sure that you are much secured for any hackings or other more attacks.
Activity: 1643
Merit: 683
LoyceV on the road. Or couch.
August 30, 2023, 03:18:27 AM
You're talking about a little amount. In that case, I wouldn't use any additional security, just keep your phone (physically) secure.

If I lose my phone, that costs a lot more to replace than the small amount of Bitcoin on it.
Activity: 2310
Merit: 757
Bitcoin = Financial freedom
August 30, 2023, 03:10:31 AM
The fingerprint is not secure, what about face unlock?

Face lock is even less secure than the fingerprint, There are instances about facial recognition already proven that face ID can be fooled by pictures and even someone with facial similarities can access your device which is unlikely to happen with a fingerprint scanner because it's more complicated to tamper but still possible to replicate.

But I would say none of them are secure when it comes versus good a password like a combination of uppercase, lowercase, and special characters but definitely not a pin which is either four or 6 digits in most of the wallets.

In the worst-case scenario if someone tries to rob your Bitcoin wallet and they catch you so imagine accessing the wallet with biometrics is just simple they can touch your thumb or show it towards your face but if its a password they can't access it unless you spill.
Activity: 420
Merit: 263
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
August 30, 2023, 02:59:23 AM
Security features on a mobile Bitcoin wallet are integrated using the mobile device security features. IMO if you are using a good device like iPhone or Samsung Galaxy then face unlock or fingerprint scanner should not be an issue. As we know those two brands have the best security & safety feature. You still can add pin code with the finger print scanner to add an extra layer of security. I haven't seen any mobile wallet integrating face unlock feature yet. If you know such a mobile wallet then do share here.
staff
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6152
August 30, 2023, 02:58:33 AM
I remember making a topic about this a couple of years ago. I thought that the biometric lock was actually encrypting the wallet. Apparently it doesn't, it just protect the app on a UI level. Regardless, biometrics are probably  not the way to go by it. My advice here would be to just set a good password.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bluewallet-decrypt-storage-5215292
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
August 30, 2023, 02:52:20 AM
It is on this forum that I knew using fingerprint to unlock wallet device is not good, specifically mobile phones. We know already that we should not have too much bitcoin on a mobile wallet. Let us assume that you have little amount of bitcoin on a mobile bitcoin wallet like Electrum or Bluewallet but you still want security.

Fingerprint is not secure, what about face unlock?
Pages:
Jump to: