Pages:
Author

Topic: FAQ: All About Unconfirmed 0 Confirmation Transaction Fee (READ before posting!) - page 6. (Read 158727 times)

Activity: 560
Merit: 506
I prefer Zakir over Muhammed when mentioning me!
Hello!
Thanks! This post is really helpful! I was going to start a new topic but this post solved my answers. I found a site all about confirmation :- https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Confirmation . Maybe it will help some.  Smiley
Kindly,
        Muhammed Zakhir
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
I was just going to ask about this because I'm getting a lot of those type of messages in my error log as well transaction already spent? I just sent some money in exchange for paypal, and I don't want to come across as untrustworthy, I'm keeping in contact with the seller but I really want to know if there's some way to fix this? I feel really bad that this isn't work out faster or better for me and him but I have no idea why it's not working faster.

For reference I have the 64 bit bitcoin-qt and I'm on semi slow internet. It wasn't a large amount (about 50 bucks worth) so it really shouldn't take this long right? I sent it over an hour or so ago, it should have at least one confirmed but it's not.

Did you pay a fee?  What was the transaction?  (This should probably not be in the FAQ section though).
Activity: 140
Merit: 110
bitcoinnaire
I was just going to ask about this because I'm getting a lot of those type of messages in my error log as well transaction already spent? I just sent some money in exchange for paypal, and I don't want to come across as untrustworthy, I'm keeping in contact with the seller but I really want to know if there's some way to fix this? I feel really bad that this isn't work out faster or better for me and him but I have no idea why it's not working faster.

For reference I have the 64 bit bitcoin-qt and I'm on semi slow internet. It wasn't a large amount (about 50 bucks worth) so it really shouldn't take this long right? I sent it over an hour or so ago, it should have at least one confirmed but it's not.
Activity: 241
Merit: 250
What is transactions, how these works, how to buy bitcoin, how to earn?

Thanks

Start here: http://www.coindesk.com/information/

Then look up bitcoin on wikipedia
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
What is transactions, how these works, how to buy bitcoin, how to earn?

Thanks
Activity: 32
All set guys....blockchain was extremely slow today

Thanks
BgW
Activity: 32
Im having a small problem with the blockchain today. Its been close to 3 hours and no confirmations....even though my QT wallet says 11 confirmations. I paid the recommended fees and checked the propagation and shows network at 26% with about 700 nodes connected....so will this transaction go through or do I have to rebroadcast or reload backup wallet?

Thanks
Bgw
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr
I tought transactions are allmost instant and there is no fee. That was reasons i bolieved btc is better than plastic. Who get that Bitcoins from fees anyway?
Activity: 475
Merit: 254

How do I resend a transaction with extra fee?
Bitcoin-qt users:
Third party client users

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thing waiting 48-72 hours is sometimes not necessary.
If you send transaction with very low or no fees it will not propagate in the network very well. It might even get stuck after being announced to a few nodes. If you send coins again with the fee and use only the nodes that has not received your first low-fee transaction then you do not have to wait more than several minutes. Using only uninformed nodes should not be difficult as this will be majority of network (your low-fee transaction is stuck only on several nodes.)

I think you are right but i really want to know how to use nodes that has not received your first low-fee transaction because i sent 0.01btc from blockcain.info with 0 fee and it wasn't refunding those coins after 24hours so i decided to double-spend on my bitcoin qt 0.8.6 while it was synchronizing(about 20hours behind or so) and no active conections to the network i sent those coins and then i checked the tranasctions id on blockchain.info/tx and other blockchain explorers it sayed that tranasction dose not exist what could be wrong and why and why does this happens?

It is difficult to choose nodes manually. I think it is actually possible with some low-level approach. (Probing nodes by IP, accumulating more nodes addresses, requesting specific txids form nodes, connecting selectively to such nodes that do not know about previous transaction.) But I do not know if you have to modify and recompile your client or if it can be done by RPC calls. It is quite difficult both ways.
What I actually meant was not to try this manually, but hope that your low-fee transaction is either:
- too low fee and thus unpropagated and thus it is only matter of time and trying to double spend
- reasonable fee and thus well propagated and it is only matter of time when someone will include it
(so it should work automatically)

Unfortunately in this case, blockchain.info has some very well connected nodes and it sends transaction to big part of the network. So you can not double spend, because low-fee transaction is both of above :-/. Both well propagated (due to blockchain.info initial propagation is always well) and too low fee (that is why it does not propagate further and why it is not included by miner). When you try to double-spend, all nodes you connect to probably already know about prior low-fee transactions.

I think, you can only wait and if AFTER rescan you will not see your previous (unconfirmed) transaction, you have chance to double spend. Or maybe the transaction will get included in low-fee variant after all. But, again, you have to wait :-/.
Activity: 935
Merit: 1002

Bitcoin-qt users:
Third party client users

Correct me if I am wrong, but I thing waiting 48-72 hours is sometimes not necessary.
If you send transaction with very low or no fees it will not propagate in the network very well. It might even get stuck after being announced to a few nodes. If you send coins again with the fee and use only the nodes that has not received your first low-fee transaction then you do not have to wait more than several minutes. Using only uninformed nodes should not be difficult as this will be majority of network (your low-fee transaction is stuck only on several nodes.)

I think you are right but i really want to know how to use nodes that has not received your first low-fee transaction because i sent 0.01btc from blockcain.info with 0 fee and it wasn't refunding those coins after 24hours so i decided to double-spend on my bitcoin qt 0.8.6 while it was synchronizing(about 20hours behind or so) and no active conections to the network i sent those coins and then i checked the tranasctions id on blockchain.info/tx and other blockchain explorers it sayed that tranasction dose not exist what could be wrong and why and why does this happens?
Activity: 475
Merit: 254

Bitcoin-qt users:
Third party client users

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
I have the same problem as the guy above!
Activity: 190
Merit: 100

It would be nice if the receiver could have a chance to pay the fee when the sender didn't pay any fee. For example,
I could pay a fee of 0.0001 BTC and receive 0.00121 BTC. In the end I'd have 0.00111 BTC. Better than nothing.

Ben Davenport answered my question in the bitcoin-devel list:

"You can create a transaction which spends the output to yourself, attaching a fee to that transaction. In order for miners to grab the transaction fee on that transaction, they would have to also mine the original transaction. Likely, you'd have to do this by hand, but software could be written to simplify doing it. No protocol changes needed.

Ben"

This is good news. It's good to know the possibility exists. We just need it implemented in the software.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
Someone sent me a very small donation (0.00121 BTC) without paying fees. I don't know who sent it and I know this type of transaction are rejected by miners. Take a look at it below:

Even with a low probability of confirmation, I was hoping that after a few days it could be included in a block, but Blockchain.info simply removed it (I know
the sender sent from a Blockchain.info wallet, because he added a note):

https://blockchain.info/pt/tx/3cde47ee3979a46b36bd61bdb0caf9c11dea58ac99f17fb17b95728766de70e0

Does it mean this transaction has gone forever? I mean, what exactly happened to the bitcoins sent? Are they in limbo now?

Now my bitcoin-qt shows it as Unconfirmed. Should I delete manually this transaction from my wallet?

It would be nice if the receiver could have a chance to pay the fee when the sender didn't pay any fee. For example,
I could pay a fee of 0.0001 BTC and receive 0.00121 BTC. In the end I'd have 0.00111 BTC. Better than nothing.

legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
Does all this apply to just Bitcoin or does it apply to all wallets?   Because i tried to send a few payments using Doge wallet and a transaction fee was never applied to it now it wont show up on the doge block chain and has been sitting in wallet since last night showing unconfirmed   :Status: 0/unconfirmed
Date: 1/12/2014 12:01
To: DHdRCr6MsZDUKZ3AHm8ctq8Efv8XMpGoWW
Debit: -20500.00 DOGE
Net amount: -20500.00 DOGE
Transaction ID: 396b62c02fda41becd2814749d9cbb33957e83ab4da85d8a0973787e3730367e

any help would be awsome sucks losing 20k doges Sad
yes it does. however, each coin may have a different fee policy and/or block time. please take those variables into consideration.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1005
Not to be too repetitive, because this was suggested earlier in the thread, but this would be a good sticky. 
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
In answer all my questions, definately a good source for beginners. "Be patient and wait." Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1028
Well, to update, it took like 9 or 10 hours but it did show up.  It was odd because I had paid and fee and everything to speed it up.  But it was the first time I just didn't see ANYTHING in my wallet, even that it was unconfirmed.
This is likely the fault of the service not actually sending the payment until later, not delayed processing on the part of the Bitcoin network.
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Carpe Diem
Well, to update, it took like 9 or 10 hours but it did show up.  It was odd because I had paid and fee and everything to speed it up.  But it was the first time I just didn't see ANYTHING in my wallet, even that it was unconfirmed.
Pages:
Jump to: