Pages:
Author

Topic: FAQ: All About Unconfirmed 0 Confirmation Transaction Fee (READ before posting!) - page 8. (Read 158727 times)

Activity: 60
Merit: 10
I have a large transaction that appears to have been abandoned by the network, no confirmations in 5 hours. I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 and when I try to get the dependencies I get these error messages:

E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

I've already used the sudo command.

I can't wait a week because the transaction is to a temporary deposit address to CampBX that expires in 1 day, 9 hours. Any ideas? Any other ways to remedy this?
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
That makes the transaction bigger, which requires more fees, right?
Yes
legendary
Activity: 858
Merit: 1000
Does it require more fees when more transactions are behind it? I used to use faucets a lot, and I just sent a transaction, and it has a bunch of faucet transactions. That makes the transaction bigger, which requires more fees, right?
legendary
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431
  • Do nothing, it should confirm itself within a week.
A week? Seriously???
Within a week. I stated this because confirmation time varies wildly. Don't want people getting upset their transaction didn't get confirmed within the average confirmation time. Worst case scenario IMO is a 0 fee transaction that normally would require a fee. Last time I sent such a transaction, it was confirmed overnight.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1003
  • Do nothing, it should confirm itself within a week.
A week? Seriously???
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015
If you have a recent backup of your wallet, it would be easier to go back to that than to use pywallet. Just don't delete your "broken" wallet until you're sure you have all of your funds.
legendary
If you sent the transaction:
Why waiting? Afaik it's not necessary but I may be wrong.
You need to wait a few days for the transaction to drop from the memory pool. If you don't wait, the current implementation will treat it as an double spend attempt.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233
May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage
This should be sticked
If it is, I suggest adding the double-spending method to "If you sent the transaction"
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/guidedouble-spending-an-unconfirmed-transaction-made-with-a-third-party-client-231309

If you sent the transaction:
Why waiting? Afaik it's not necessary but I may be wrong.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
legendary
I have an unconfirmed transaction and/or it is confirming super slow. What should I do?
Be patient and wait. The transaction should confirm within 5 days. If it does not, tell the sender to resend with a fee. Do not ship goods without at least 1 confirmation. Please do not ask for help; it will not speed up confirmations.

Blockchain.info says it should be confirmed by now, but it is still not confirmed!
Blockchain.info's confirmation time is just a guess. Confirmation times may vary wildly, so do not be concerned when your confirmation time is long. Sit tight and your transaction will confirm.

How can I speed up confirmation in the future?
Use a wallet with dynamic fees (most do nowadays) and use the recommended fee set by the wallet. For fastest confirmations, always set dynamic fee to be the highest estimate.

How does Bitcoin's fee policy work?
Transaction fees are based on the size of the transaction. Sending to many recipients, or sending from a wallet that received "dust" transactions will increase transaction size. How much fee you pay matters as well; 0.001 btc/kb will confirm within the next block whereas 0.0001 may take several blocks. These policies are in place to prevent large blocks (bad for miners) and transaction spam (bad for everyone running a full node).

How do I resend a transaction?
Bitcoin-qt will rebroadcast unconfirmed transactions every 30 minutes or so. As long as the sender has his client open, the transaction will be rebroadcast.

How do I resend a transaction with extra fee?
For Bitcoin Core users:
  • Right click the transaction and choose "Abandon Transaction"
  • Send the coins again with a fee
Third party client users

How do I remove an unconfirmed transaction?
If you do not want to see the unconfirmed transaction, you can remove the transaction from your wallet. Once the transaction gets confirmed, it will reappear in your wallet.
Pages:
Jump to: