Pages:
Author

Topic: FBI U.S. Marshals Auction Prices Leaked! (Bullish) - page 4. (Read 10913 times)

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
That's true but why would you want that many btc at once? Spending spree at overstock?

If you want to hoard that many buy them slowly over a few weeks time and pay no markup over spot.
It should be obvious why BlackRock / Pantera Capital would want to buy "verifiably clean" bitcoins.
DannyElfman's assertion that "Since bitcoin is fungible any coins are just as good as any other coins" is misguided.
What happens when BlackRock "the world’s largest asset manager" with more than $4.32 Trillion US dollars under management pushes the issue, and Wall Street Investors demand "verifiably clean" bitcoins?
Who wants to be associated with "criminal activities" and "terrorists" using unqualified coins? Smiley
Wake up and smell the coffee man Wink

I won't really care what happens to Bitcoin at that point because I will have moved on to another crypto-currency.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1001
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf
I dont buy it. The numbers are too round and too high
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
i remember there was some guy who wanted to "mark" good bitcoins and kind of cause a fork.. well, i don't see that really happening with the cooperation of the government, since the US marshals sold silk road coins.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Well I watched the press conference video
From that all I know is that he outbid the other bidders so I guess two ways to approach it
1. Ask what other people bid for that lost
2. Get him to spill the beans  Cool
Activity: 148
Merit: 100
That's true but why would you want that many btc at once? Spending spree at overstock?

If you want to hoard that many buy them slowly over a few weeks time and pay no markup over spot.
It should be obvious why BlackRock / Pantera Capital would want to buy "verifiably clean" bitcoins.
DannyElfman's assertion that "Since bitcoin is fungible any coins are just as good as any other coins" is misguided.
What happens when BlackRock "the world’s largest asset manager" with more than $4.32 Trillion US dollars under management pushes the issue, and Wall Street Investors demand "verifiably clean" bitcoins?
Who wants to be associated with "criminal activities" and "terrorists" using unqualified coins? Smiley
Wake up and smell the coffee man Wink
Activity: 406

If there is any markup at all to these coins he could have saved money by buying them slowly at multiple exchanges with not much more time than they waited for the bid date. The only reason to bid at all is to either get screwed or buy below spot.

These are now 100% Clean Bitcoins in the eyes of US - almost like a new minted bitcoin that you just mined - no future questions at all.
Since bitcoin is fungible any coins are just as good as any other coins. The only exception would be freshly "minted" (mined) coins that have not matured yet. 
legendary

If there is any markup at all to these coins he could have saved money by buying them slowly at multiple exchanges with not much more time than they waited for the bid date. The only reason to bid at all is to either get screwed or buy below spot.

These are now 100% Clean Bitcoins in the eyes of US - almost like a new minted bitcoin that you just mined - no future questions at all.

Who cares what the government thinks and we don't have blacklisting so it doesn't matter.
legendary
I understand there are a lot of fees involved when buying that many Bitcoins, but $274 worth of fees per Bitcoin? Huh

That would mean they paid $39,549,708 over market value.....

It doesn't make any sense. I expected them to go higher than market value due to fees of buying that much Bitcoin, but $274 per Bitcoin is a little much.

I could of bought them that many Bitcoins and only taken a $100 per Bitcoin cut ($14,434,200.)  Wink

I guess you need to take into account of how buying this much Bitcoin would affect the market, but damn that seems like a lot.

No, actually you can't, if I gave you $20m right now and ask you to return me 32000 BTC in a week, you can't do it on open exchange without pushing the price up to $800-$900 level.

There's a ton of reasons, for example there's currently several ETN trying to launch on wall street, and all of them will need a ton of BTC reserves on hand to start their operations. Or maybe just some rich guy thinking BTC price will explode in the coming weeks and trying to get in as soon as possible, and he might be right (or wrong).

legendary
Merit: 1003
I understand there are a lot of fees involved when buying that many Bitcoins, but $274 worth of fees per Bitcoin? Huh

It doesn't make any sense. I expected them to go higher than market value due to fees of buying that much Bitcoin, but $274 per Bitcoin is a little much.

I could of bought them that many Bitcoins and only taken a $100 per Bitcoin cut ($14,434,200.)  Wink

I guess you need to take into account of how buying this much Bitcoin would affect the market, but damn that seems like a lot.

No, actually you can't, if I gave you $20m right now and ask you to return me 32000 BTC in a week, you can't do it on open exchange without pushing the price up to $800-$900 level.

There's a ton of reasons, for example there's currently several ETN trying to launch on wall street, and all of them will need a ton of BTC reserves on hand to start their operations. Or maybe just some rich guy thinking BTC price will explode in the coming weeks and trying to get in as soon as possible, and he might be right (or wrong).
legendary
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
Yep if the spread is market less 9 % that means that at minimum its above that price if not at market or a premium
Still a few outcomes on this one either way I hope that we find out instead of being left to wait in the dark for a month or two
Sooner is better ^_^
Activity: 406
Second market have already said that some of their bids were market value -10%

So they went for at least market value -9% on that day which was $570 - $51.3 = approx $520

At an absolute minimum.

$520 is the minimum this bidder bid, and for them to be 1% over the next highest bidder on every block seems unlikely, but that remains the absolute minimum they could have paid.

Which is good news for us. They won't be dumping them on the market looking to make an immediate profit.
Activity: 271
Merit: 101
Second market have already said that some of their bids were market value -10%

So they went for at least market value -9% on that day which was $570 - $51.3 = approx $520

At an absolute minimum.

$520 is the minimum this bidder bid, and for them to be 1% over the next highest bidder on every block seems unlikely, but that remains the absolute minimum they could have paid.
Activity: 742
Merit: 502
Circa 2010

Yeah, given that Bitstamp itself deals with 17,000+ BTC a day, it shouldn't be too hard to buy a thousand a day at market price over the course of the month. Given that your giving your details to the government anyway with the US marshal's auction, I don't see how that would be much different than giving the necessary documentation to an exchange for AML/KYC purposes. Unless of course you don't trust the exchange...
legendary

legendary
Merit: 1003

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust

Activity: 12
Merit: 0
I think these numbers may have been leaked as a red herring...
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
If the winning bid is $800 and the next highest bid is $500, the winner didn't do a good evaluation of the competition.
But we will not know the bidding pattern unless the feds make some additional disclosures.
Activity: 176
Merit: 101
Cryptographic money will be the bedrock in time.
I agree that the information presented is likely dubious, but I would NOT be surprised if someone was bidding in the 700-800$ range. Institutional investors that would like a serious stake in bitcoin would dramatically increase the price on any current exchange anyway. It would take a long time to amass 30,000 BTC incrementally without affecting the price in a large way. They would have known they needed to bid high in order to get these coins in that large of a block.

They need to get in now. Institutional investors are seeing the writing on the wall and they want in. How to "get in big" is another question which is difficult to answer for the vast majority of them.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
its obvious that someone paid a lot over the market rate.. Im guessing it was between 8-900 dollars per coin, but could have been more (or less, lol)
Pages:
Jump to: