Pages:
Author

Topic: FBI U.S. Marshals Auction Prices Leaked! (Bullish) - page 8. (Read 10913 times)

legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1130
Truth will out!
Maybe the offer of 900$ coming from Pandora can be made because of marketing purposes & some future intentions.
For example: that auction news are going to be posted in some important press resources and media so... being the one that won could be beneficial for Pantera or the one that present the best offer.

Now everything is leaked and [removed] information so we'll wait for an official confirmation.
Activity: 381
Merit: 250
haha the best comment:

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet!" - Thomas Jefferson
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
Hmm interesting, but I don't know how valid those numbers are. Seem odd.
legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Trolling thread to get all your hopes up. No real bidder will put in a bid at such organized numbers, and nearly all of them too. Btw can someone do a quick calculation on what the price would be if 30k btc were bought from the current market, assuming current price is $620?

30k * 620 = $18,600,000  ?
I think he was more asking what the cost would be if you bought up all the Bitcoins currently at market until you get to 30k BTC. At this point, there is only ~2k BTC visibly liquid on exchanges at around the $620-$630 price range. When I last checked, Bitstamp's orderbook was at ~7k BTC and the price stretched to ~$750 with a total orderbook value of around $4.7M. Using an extrapolative method (using a linear-logarithmic stretch fit), I got a value of ~$25.8M yielding an average value of ~$840.

Although upon first glance $900 seems quite ludicrous, with the available liquidity, 30k at $900 is actually less crazy than it seems.

As a note, if there are more entries available in Bitstamp's orderbook, this method could be made more exact. And if there is way more liquid coins than on Bitstamp, then the average price of my calculation should be significantly less.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000
If the prices is true, the FBI is big winner. On the other hand,it will push the price a lot.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003
They might bid $900, but it doesn't mean they will pay. It could just be a shill company driving up bids.
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1105
900 is wayyyyyyyy too much and cant be true.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1005
hI,
Actually when we will know the actual price of the BTC on this auction?
Are we even to know that or it will be only rumors about this?
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME
Yeah, so in a blind auction you're even more likely to bid $901 ... because what if some guy bid $900 too

Or a $100000.01 because well you know what if some guy bid $100000 too.

It's a blind auction. They bid what they think it's worth in relation to the amount of risk they want to take and their expectations of growth. If it's really 900 for all the blocks, it means they scoop up 30K in BTC at a price thats $300 less then the all-time high. Which is a great deal considering even at the all time high Pantera strongly believed they were only at the start of Bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2646
Merit: 1137
All paid signature campaigns should be banned.
It's like when you bid on eBay. No one bids $900 for anything except morons because if you expect it to go for around $900 someone will bid $901.23 and when you snipe $900 at the last second ebay automatically places their bid and you lose for $1.23
Are you even aware of the type of auction this was? It was a Dutch auction - all winners paid the price of the lowest winning bid. So, even if 1 bidder offered a crazy $10,000 per coin, they would not pay that much unless all other bidders were equally crazy.

Where do you get the info about Dutch auction?

I don't think it is a Dutch auction. I believe the proper term is "generalized second-price auction" a.k.a. "second item auction".
I know it is so much more fun to just make shit up and "have an opinion" but if you really want to know read this:

http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2014/bitcoins/faqs.pdf

And, if you are too damn lazy to read three whole pages of text:

7. How does the auction process work?

This is a sealed bid auction. You will not have the opportunity to view other bids. You will not
have the opportunity to change your bid once submitted.
legendary
Activity: 1623
Merit: 1608
Are you even aware of the type of auction this was? It was a Dutch auction - all winners paid the price of the lowest winning bid. So, even if 1 bidder offered a crazy $10,000 per coin, they would not pay that much unless all other bidders were equally crazy.

I don't think it is a Dutch auction. I believe the proper term is "generalized second-price auction" a.k.a. "second item auction".
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

I think he means a Dutch oven.

Similar but very different.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
This is just someone trolling.
Activity: 157
Merit: 100
900 ! lol

Yep 900 doesn't seem to make sense because if they only wanted 1 block, you would aim to bid in the middle.
It doesn't make sense for them to think that a $900 bid would be in the middle amongst the top bidders.

Activity: 260
Merit: 10
Trolling thread to get all your hopes up. No real bidder will put in a bid at such organized numbers, and nearly all of them too. Btw can someone do a quick calculation on what the price would be if 30k btc were bought from the current market, assuming current price is $620?

30k * 620 = $18,600,000  ?
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1005
I seriously doubt it.  While I have no overabundance of faith in the USMS given they are not going to release the results information at all:

10. What information about the auction process or results will the USMS release?

The USMS will contact the winning and losing bidders directly. The USMS will not publicly
release any information pertaining to the auction process or results.

From: http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2014/bitcoins/faqs.pdf

And have not even contacted the winning and loser bidders directly yet, I doubt OP's information.

The winners will have an incentive to push up the price of BTC by suggesting they paid a high price while the losers should downplay what the prices were.  Should be interesting.

it will be funny if only the winning bidders  know what the actual price is..    they can indeed make false statements about their bidding..  
although it would be bad for their reputation to do so..     still they can say whatever they want .  

this auction is  strange..  why all the secrecy...     why not let them bid against each other..    in the open..

Can someone quote rule 5? I can't copy it from my ipad. Oh never mind, it's still possible to submit multiple forms.
legendary
Activity: 812
Merit: 1002
Activity: 411
Merit: 250
I seriously doubt it.  While I have no overabundance of faith in the USMS given they are not going to release the results information at all:

10. What information about the auction process or results will the USMS release?

The USMS will contact the winning and losing bidders directly. The USMS will not publicly
release any information pertaining to the auction process or results.

From: http://www.usmarshals.gov/assets/2014/bitcoins/faqs.pdf

And have not even contacted the winning and loser bidders directly yet, I doubt OP's information.

The winners will have an incentive to push up the price of BTC by suggesting they paid a high price while the losers should downplay what the prices were.  Should be interesting.

it will be funny if only the winning bidders  know what the actual price is..    they can indeed make false statements about their bidding.. 
although it would be bad for their reputation to do so..     still they can say whatever they want . 

this auction is  strange..  why all the secrecy...     why not let them bid against each other..    in the open..
Pages:
Jump to: