Pages:
Author

Topic: Fifth alt coin thread last four got too big. - page 10. (Read 47179 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
https://www.coindesk.com/take-two-bitcoin-miner-btcs-announces-new-merger-deal/

Phil - Spoondolies and BTCS? What miner did BTCS make? Do you recall?

Looks like worthy competition coming to Canaan and Bitmain.
Activity: 305
Merit: 148
Theranos Coin - IoT + micro-blood arrays = Moon!

Can the 1080ti go on beast mode with Monero and deliver better profits than ZEC?

1080ti isn't a particularly good Monero mining card. It's EFFICIENT, but the hashrate doesn't justify the price (a BIOS-modded RX 470 can almost match the hashrate at similar power usage).

Sweet spot there seems to be a modded good-overclocking RX 470/570 or some of the lower-end Pascal NVidia cards (or the GTX 750ti for low-cost rigs still does well at 250 hash/s or so on 50 watts or so power draw in my fairly limited testing that probably was NOT optimised).

Hell, no fancy bios mod required.  An XFX RX 470 with the 1625 strap copied upwards will get you 860+ hashes on Monero and draw not much power.
legendary
Activity: 2294
Merit: 1182
Now the money is free, and so the people will be
Sorry if this isnt appropriate for the thread, but you guys should get on the DeepOnion signature campaign...35 airdrops remain.  I'm just saying, this is the highest paying sig campaign ive ever been in.  Which is why you probably see it all over the forum.  So far my stack is worth maybe 1btc (of course price can change).  For a month.  Lots of rules though.  its an x11 coin I think, only airdrops and POW, then after POS.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Can the 1080ti go on beast mode with Monero and deliver better profits than ZEC?

1080ti isn't a particularly good Monero mining card. It's EFFICIENT, but the hashrate doesn't justify the price (a BIOS-modded RX 470 can almost match the hashrate at similar power usage).

Sweet spot there seems to be a modded good-overclocking RX 470/570 or some of the lower-end Pascal NVidia cards (or the GTX 750ti for low-cost rigs still does well at 250 hash/s or so on 50 watts or so power draw in my fairly limited testing that probably was NOT optimised).

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
I will add more 1080 ti's for the next three months

What kind of price are you gettting your 1080Ti's for?

Newegg usually has at least one card on sale at $699 (most commonly the Gigabyte Windforce model).

If you're running riser rigs, though, I'd recommend paying a little more for the Aorus as it's noticeably higher performance and cools a lot better.

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

if you are patience 675 to 725
Activity: 77
Merit: 0

legendary
Yeah, I'm pretty small time right now, so it looks like Nicehash might be a good way to go.  I've only got 1 - 1080, 1 - 1070 and 2 -1060s right now.  I have space for 2 more cards, but I can't find a good deal on any.  I'm still looking.
legendary
Is constantly switching coins based on What to mine, only usefull if you are selling the coins straight away? If you believe a certain coin will gain more value than others, doesn't it make sense to stick with one?

ETH rewards are low, but I stil and getting 3-4x my elec costs mining that and even more so if ETH eventually doubles over the next year to more.

I just see it as trading electricty for long term coin investment. Am I off in my thinking?

you are getting coins on the cheap

say 35 dollars in power for 100 dollars in coin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so  cash 40  dollars in coin   and hold 60 dollars

or cash 50 dollars in coin  and hold   50 dollars.

those numbers cover your power cost  and pay back the gear slowly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

most  people  don't understand  a correct defensive position when they are winning

they  would tend to  not   cash  40 or 50 of each 100.

they would cash  100 of each 100 losing the chance at coins going up.

or they cash 0 of each 100 and would hold all the coin  losing a lot if the coin crashes.

you are a certain winner  if you pay 35 in power for 100 in coin on day one  you are 65 dollars ahead

so  plan  on what to do with that 65 on that day.

After playing this for 5 years 2012 to 2017.  I have found  taking some of the profit not all of it and not letting it ride is the easiest mental stress release you can do.

This is why  I do not go nuts switching coins like mad.

legendary
Auto-switching doesn't work well currently as the altcoin market is in a fairly stagnant phase. So you end up switching all the time and earn less in the end.

Whattomine is an interesting animal, you have to learn to use it. The 24h-averages are a good guideline, but what I tend to do is identify two or three coins that are fairly profitable and then look at the one whose price is most depressed currently. Then I start to mine that one for a few days, until the next pump. Then I sell my production.

If you're more into short-term and look at current profit/difficulty output on whattomine, look at the top coins and select the one that has the highest difficulty INCREASE. Most of the time, the top spot are occupied by coins that have had a big difficulty drop. If you start mining one of those you've basically just missed the boat. Diff will only go up from there. Pick instead one that has had a big difficulty increase and mine it while it drops back again! Smiley

Thanks for the advice.  I am a few months into mining and just now starting to get away from the newbie stuff.

Lately, I've just been mining whatever is the top coin for me on whattomine.com.  I mine on miningpoohub.com to do the autoconversion for me to BTC (I'm most interested in BTC).  Today, ZClassic shot up to about $10.78 a day, with Zcash below it at $7.89 a day.  I started mining ZCL instead of ZEC because of that.  I'm not sure if this is the right move or not, but i'm trying it out.

chasing hot coins can be fun

https://new.nicehash.com/miner/16yLHLoeyuCLPMXkVpC3gyrRYvwRGwjKJr 5x 1080 ti's on zec

_______________________________________________________________________________ _
https://new.nicehash.com/miner/1JdC6Xg3ajT3rge3FgPNSYYFpmf53Vbtje  10x 1080ti's on  zec

plus some small miners on other coins on nicehash
_______________________________________________________________________________ _

####################################################
plus 1 1080 ti on

GroestlCoin

https://dwarfpool.com/grs/address?wallet=FjKmKbx3Dh4wso8vzg5W4vpEHf8N1FAx6K

#######################################################

the key is  constant profit

at the moment 50usd a day  for  about 75 kwatts a day    say 15 usd for my insane summer rates

and oct 1 the summer rates drop to 7.50 usd a day

so today 50 x 30 = 1500      15 x 30 = 450

1150 net.  
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Is constantly switching coins based on What to mine, only usefull if you are selling the coins straight away? If you believe a certain coin will gain more value than others, doesn't it make sense to stick with one?

ETH rewards are low, but I stil and getting 3-4x my elec costs mining that and even more so if ETH eventually doubles over the next year to more.

I just see it as trading electricty for long term coin investment. Am I off in my thinking?
Auto-switching doesn't work well currently as the altcoin market is in a fairly stagnant phase. So you end up switching all the time and earn less in the end.

Whattomine is an interesting animal, you have to learn to use it. The 24h-averages are a good guideline, but what I tend to do is identify two or three coins that are fairly profitable and then look at the one whose price is most depressed currently. Then I start to mine that one for a few days, until the next pump. Then I sell my production.

If you're more into short-term and look at current profit/difficulty output on whattomine, look at the top coins and select the one that has the highest difficulty INCREASE. Most of the time, the top spot are occupied by coins that have had a big difficulty drop. If you start mining one of those you've basically just missed the boat. Diff will only go up from there. Pick instead one that has had a big difficulty increase and mine it while it drops back again! Smiley

Thanks for the advice.  I am a few months into mining and just now starting to get away from the newbie stuff.

Lately, I've just been mining whatever is the top coin for me on whattomine.com.  I mine on miningpoohub.com to do the autoconversion for me to BTC (I'm most interested in BTC).  Today, ZClassic shot up to about $10.78 a day, with Zcash below it at $7.89 a day.  I started mining ZCL instead of ZEC because of that.  I'm not sure if this is the right move or not, but i'm trying it out.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

As good as any way to guess.

At the moment I am almost all zec. About three dollars a card which is fine for me.

Monero is up 70 bucks

Doesn't look like it.
On regular 1080's XMR mining currently seems to yield only approx 50-60% of ZEC mining.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

At the moment I am almost all zec. About three dollars a card which is fine for me.

Monero is up 70 bucks

legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 556

Complex question the less you know the easier it is to simply mine zec at nicehash .

The assumption for that is you have nvidia 1080 or nvidia 1080 ti.

Have the zec auto convert to btc.  Don't change a thing for a week or two. This helps you see your true profit.

Once you know what zec pays if you have multi rigs you can try 1 rig on zec 1 rig on another coin.

Compare the two rigs earnings.

I have four coins maybe five I shift. But I always mine some zec at nicehash and use it' as a baseline to decide to shift or r not shift.

I am a small time miner, only 1 rig with a mix of Nvidia 1060 - 1080 cards.  I don't mine at Nicehash anymore, and haven't for over a month.  I am currently mining Zcash at Miningpoolhub.com as that is whattomine.com has suggested will make the most for me.  I was mining SIGT at Suprnova.cc, but i have to convert that all myself at Cyptopia and that went down in price a bit to make Zcash more profitable.  I'm really only interested in Bitcoin right now and i will buy whatever other coin I want to HODL with that.

I did try algorithm switching with Miningpoolhub.com and Zpool.ca for a couple days, but I seemed to get get about $2 less, it's tough to calculate.
legendary
amazon has this one 740 - 37 = 703  I have a cc from amazon prime 5% discount

or two of these with 24 months to pay
 no interest 61 a month.  this is a way to get btc for paypal.  no money down as long as the 2 cards earn 3 bucks a day after power  they are worth the price.

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
Very interesting conversation about rx 470/480's & 1080ti's... when to sell, convert, etc.  Certainly I missed the $300+ sell window that Phil mentioned but seems 470 4GB are still going for between $250-$275 on ebay recently.  I actually just sold my 1 new 470 that I had been holding in case 1 of my 24 running crapped out... but figured with 5xx easier to get now as well as Vega starting to hit, I better sell it now. Got $350, which is 2x what I paid, so happy with that.

But, I have been thinking about the whole conversion/upgrade thing a lot since this is my first time in that game (not quite been mining 1 year). Originally, I was baffled (like a recent poster) because I just couldn't see the reasonable ROI in going with a 3 or 4 1080ti rig.  And, certainly, if you were new to mining and buying those 1080's straight up with cash as an initial investment, that would actually hold true as current ROI mining ZEC is about 240 days, which is certainly not great. 

However, for those with $ already invested in GPUs (assuming already ROI'd as in my case and probably anyone else who has been mining since beginning of 2017), you have to look at it a little differently.  If upgrading your GPUs, you need to factor in what you can get for selling your old ones.  So in my case, I am looking to start by upgrading 1 6x470 rig to either a 3 or 4 1080ti rig.  My assumptions are that I can get $250 per 470, so $1500 total.  I know Phil said ti's can be had for close to $700 or less but I only saw $750-$780 on newegg today, so I am figuring $750 for now. 

So, for a 3-card 1080ti rig, my investment would only be $750  ($2,250 for 3 ti's less $1,500 for the sold 470's).  Currently, a 3 1080ti rig nets a bit over $9/day mining ZEC, so your true days-to-ROI (all else being equal) would be about 80 days, which is clearly very reasonable. A 4x ti would take about 120 days because you are now $1,500 out of pocket, but still not bad, especially if you are bullish on the future of ZEC.

The other thing to consider in this is that ETH is on its last legs. Even before the rewards halving (when exactly is that supposed to be?), the daily increase in difficulty is killing profits, and once more Vega's hit the market, it's going to get even worse.  When I look at my profit charts right now, converting may not make sense at first glance since each 6x470 rig is pulling in $8.60/day profit and that 3x 1080ti rig would only be doing slightly better than that (~10%) on ZEC... AND I have to fork out the extra $750 for the 3rd ti... BUT... the mitigating factor in this is that ETH profitability is dropping MUCH faster than ZEC and one way or another, will almost assuredly be dead by end of year, of not before.  ZEC is still a relatively new coin so should still be reasonably profitable to mine for some time. So, it's more about future proofing and preparing for EOL of ETH in my mind.  Hopefully I can get 1 rig converted in the next month and see how it goes from there. I don't think 470's will be completely obsolete for a while as there are still other ETHash coins than ETH that are at least currently still profitable without the upcoming issues facing ETH.

Pages:
Jump to: