Pages:
Author

Topic: Fifth alt coin thread last four got too big. - page 11. (Read 47180 times)

legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
yeah auto switching will kill off any small  hash rate hot coin  it is why  auto-switching sucks it is also why some pool owners punish you big time for switching.

Is it better to just mine one coin, e.g. Zcash, than to constantly switch to whatever coin is the hottest at that point?  I've tried autoswitching software and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but i didn't trust it and didn't run it for more than a day or so.

Complex question the less you know the easier it is to simply mine zec at nicehash .

The assumption for that is you have nvidia 1080 or nvidia 1080 ti.

Have the zec auto convert to btc.  Don't change a thing for a week or two. This helps you see your true profit.

Once you know what zec pays if you have multi rigs you can try 1 rig on zec 1 rig on another coin.

Compare the two rigs earnings.

I have four coins maybe five I shift. But I always mine some zec at nicehash and use it' as a baseline to decide to shift or r not shift.
Activity: 77
Merit: 0
yeah auto switching will kill off any small  hash rate hot coin  it is why  auto-switching sucks it is also why some pool owners punish you big time for switching.

Is it better to just mine one coin, e.g. Zcash, than to constantly switch to whatever coin is the hottest at that point?  I've tried autoswitching software and it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, but i didn't trust it and didn't run it for more than a day or so.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
Running new drivers on all of my rigs now. I squeezed out about 32mhs between the 3 rigs. That's basically like adding a card.
@gabry and @phil - thank you for all the input. I fell for the move this morning.

With the new drivers on my windows boxes I shlold just stick to eth
legendary
@phil - thank you I appreciate your response. So if diff has increased perhaps whattomine did not reflect that increase in their calcs?

One thing that you will learn over time is that most of the mining calculator sites will sporadically show a non-major coin rise to the top of the profit chart.  However, unless you can start mining that coin very quickly after it jumps to the top, you are likely to "miss the boat". The main reason for this is that a lot of miners are using auto-swtiching, which means the second that EXP or other coin hits #1, you have a mass amount of rigs switching over to mine it.  In your case, given that most of the global hashrate on ETHash is mining ETH or ETC, as soon as a big chunk of that hashrate moves over to mine EXP, the diff starts to go through the roof.  Net effect is that very soon, its profitability will drop back down into the weeds again. When I first started mining, I saw this a lot and was tempted to swtich, but after I realized what I described above, i pretty much ignored it.. unless of course if a mid-level coin were to rise significantly in price and stay up there for a while, but that simply hasn't happened, at least this year, since ETH has pretty much been at the top the entire time (at least for RX cards).

Activity: 600
Merit: 261
@phil - thank you I appreciate your response. So if diff has increased perhaps whattomine did not reflect that increase in their calcs?

One thing that you will learn over time is that most of the mining calculator sites will sporadically show a non-major coin rise to the top of the profit chart.  However, unless you can start mining that coin very quickly after it jumps to the top, you are likely to "miss the boat". The main reason for this is that a lot of miners are using auto-swtiching, which means the second that EXP or other coin hits #1, you have a mass amount of rigs switching over to mine it.  In your case, given that most of the global hashrate on ETHash is mining ETH or ETC, as soon as a big chunk of that hashrate moves over to mine EXP, the diff starts to go through the roof.  Net effect is that very soon, its profitability will drop back down into the weeds again. When I first started mining, I saw this a lot and was tempted to swtich, but after I realized what I described above, i pretty much ignored it.. unless of course if a mid-level coin were to rise significantly in price and stay up there for a while, but that simply hasn't happened, at least this year, since ETH has pretty much been at the top the entire time (at least for RX cards).
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

Were you looking at the "last 24 hours" figure or the "current" figure?

Also, WhatToMine DOES seem to lag behind a little on the "current" figure on a lot of coins - though it's usually a matter of minutes, not hours.

In conjunction with whattomine and browsing here in Phil's thread :-)

I usually track... yimp.org and zpool.ca too, for new coin listing.

If a new coin is listed there.... that means demand for the coin for mining exist, and its worthwhile for pool owners to set them up.

In addition, I track rumblings in bitcointalk esp devs like tpruvot, sp_, w0lf etc

These devs usually will offer to write for a fee (or free to use) ..... enhance forks for ccminer, sgminer etc to mine these new coins.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Were you looking at the "last 24 hours" figure or the "current" figure?

Also, WhatToMine DOES seem to lag behind a little on the "current" figure on a lot of coins - though it's usually a matter of minutes, not hours.

Activity: 747
Merit: 502
Did anyone face the cuda error before? my gtx 1080 always cuts off at some point mining either skein or zec giving a cuda error, i'm also having a gtx 1060 mine on claymore and once the 1080 gives this cuda error claymore keepa showing NVML error cannot get temprature, the 1060 works fine though, i tried the 1080 on claymore and it didn't give that error, only EWBF and CCminers give it. I tried changing the drivers but nothing was benefited, any thoughts?

try setting the 1080 via  msi afterburner

tdp 70
core +50
 ram -500
fan manual 75%

assuming you are on  windows mining zec
I'm mining skein with alexis miner, does that make any difference?

The card is not over heating at all its at 58-64°C Its not over clocked alot (i just tried your settings) hopefully they would work, if not i may try re installing my windows.
legendary
Thanks phil. Looks like I jumped the gun will Let it cook for some time to see how it averages out

keep an eye on this stat  on the bottom left last 50 blocks.  try and figure out how many  it should do in an hour.

a fast check i get 20 an hour
so if you  figure that is correct  and the pool does 20 an hour  for days on end  you  should get correct numbers.

https://dwarfpool.com/exp
Thanks phil. Looks like I jumped the gun will Let it cook for some time to see how it averages out
legendary

one of many reasons.

bad luck  maybe dwarfpool normally makes   1 block an hour  and has been ice cold making 1 block  every 3 hours

I can list other reasons.
Short term  judgements  do not mean much with luck.
1 month  of earning ⅓ of what you should earn  would mean the pool is fucked up.

but 1 day  is not enough time to tell.

ccminer -q -a groestl -o stratum+tcp://erebor.dwarfpool.com:3345 -u FjKmKbx3Dh4wso8vzg5W4vpEHf8N1FAx6K.1  -p 1 --failover-only -o "stratum+tcp://moria.dwarfpool.com:3345" -u FjKmKbx3Dh4wso8vzg5W4vpEHf8N1FAx6K.1 -p 1

FjKmKbx3Dh4wso8vzg5W4vpEHf8N1FAx6K
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
On another note, has anyone installed the cuda 9 beta? Any difference?
legendary
Probably a newbie move but I switched over to EXP this morning. According to "whattomine" I should be earning .337 exp an hour.

I'm on dwarfpool and only earring about .12 exp per hour , which is signaficsntly less than I was expecting.

Would I have better luck on other pools ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Well  dwarfpool  could be unlucky today.

or the diff jumped up

diff has increased a lot
Probably a newbie move but I switched over to EXP this morning. According to "whattomine" I should be earning .337 exp an hour.

I'm on dwarfpool and only earring about .12 exp per hour , which is signaficsntly less than I was expecting.

Would I have better luck on other pools ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Question to owners of hashing powder on Hashnest - can you login into your account?

One of their servers was "compromised" - so access to account (at least mine) is blocked

I have 108 x S9 online at antpool..... and now I am locked out.
They are forcing everyone to change passwords and redo the 2FA.
But I have tried to change passwords but error in password -- I think I did put in the right passwords though....
Hmmmm.... count to 10 and take a deep breath.

There was a notice:
============
Security Notice

Dear user

Because of account security threats detected, we recommend you reset your credential information.

Because one of our old server has been compromised, part of important account security information has been leaked (includes: properly encrypted password, user email, user phone, etc). Even through the encryption is very strong, we still strongly recommend you change your account password AND google auth.

As for now, a thorough investigation and evaluation was carried out, the core service systems have been checked carefully one by one, no more threat was found. Your account is still safe after this update.

Any other accounts use the same password should also be updated.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
=======

Well that sucks.

and it is a lot of money to not have control of.

109 x 13500 = 1,471,500 gh at 0.00006345 =

93.3666 btc x 4109 = 383,643 usd

Lets us know how this works out.

I was able to recover my small holdings by using a second mac mini I checked

passport.bitmain.com

Thanks Phil for the insights... the BTC farms are the main revenue generator for my group's mining operations.

This farm at Antpool are all S9 v1 miners - early batch - very finicky and lots of babysitting, part of the mining operations I manage for my group.

Worst case scenario... we will switch to our backup pool, f2pool tonight.

Only consolation is the S9s are on PPS+ mining (PPS with TX sharing) so we can move to f2pool continue mining without the pain of moving out of PPLNS.

There is another 155 x A721s farm but that mining at KANO land.

NOTE: the passport site is completely down now with error 502 - the S9s are still mining though from cgminer console.
legendary
Did anyone face the cuda error before? my gtx 1080 always cuts off at some point mining either skein or zec giving a cuda error, i'm also having a gtx 1060 mine on claymore and once the 1080 gives this cuda error claymore keepa showing NVML error cannot get temprature, the 1060 works fine though, i tried the 1080 on claymore and it didn't give that error, only EWBF and CCminers give it. I tried changing the drivers but nothing was benefited, any thoughts?

try setting the 1080 via  msi afterburner

tdp 70
core +50
 ram -500
fan manual 75%

assuming you are on  windows mining zec
Activity: 747
Merit: 502
legendary
Question to owners of hashing powder on Hashnest - can you login into your account?

One of their servers was "compromised" - so access to account (at least mine) is blocked

I have 108 x S9 online at antpool..... and now I am locked out.
They are forcing everyone to change passwords and redo the 2FA.
But I have tried to change passwords but error in password -- I think I did put in the right passwords though....
Hmmmm.... count to 10 and take a deep breath.

There was a notice:
============
Security Notice

Dear user

Because of account security threats detected, we recommend you reset your credential information.

Because one of our old server has been compromised, part of important account security information has been leaked (includes: properly encrypted password, user email, user phone, etc). Even through the encryption is very strong, we still strongly recommend you change your account password AND google auth.

As for now, a thorough investigation and evaluation was carried out, the core service systems have been checked carefully one by one, no more threat was found. Your account is still safe after this update.

Any other accounts use the same password should also be updated.

We apologize for the inconvenience.
=======

Well that sucks.

and it is a lot of money to not have control of.

109 x 13500 = 1,471,500 gh at 0.00006345 =

93.3666 btc x 4109 = 383,643 usd

Lets us know how this works out.

I was able to recover my small holdings by using a second mac mini I checked

passport.bitmain.com

Pages:
Jump to: