Pages:
Author

Topic: Foundation Devices 'Passport Batch 2' hardware wallet review - page 2. (Read 1942 times)

Activity: 44
Merit: 22
I'm torn between this wallet, cold card and Jade.

Do they ship discreetly? And if I read correctly passports are shipped UPS with tracking. correct?

Thank you
Activity: 882
Merit: 5811
not your keys, not your coins!
@n0nce must be premium when you are holding it in your hands? The technical details are already discussed in depth so yeah it has got one more vote for sure.
It does feel 'premium', indeed. It's quite heavy (both versions) since they have a piece of structural casing made out of cast metal on the inside. The shell (front and back) seems from rather good, durable plastic as well and due to open-source hardware, it should be possible to even 3D print replacement parts in the future.

I've wanted to try that from the day I got it, but just never got around to doing it.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
This is by far way better version of hardware wallet. It looks so much premium as compared to my ledger. Now I’m feeling so down as compared to what I have and what is on the market.
I initially wanted to say that even if you wanted to purchase it, it might be difficult for you. I am assuming you are Russian and many companies have stopped shipping to Russia and Ukraine due to the current situation. Foundation Passport is manufactured and assembled in USA, but they have a few resellers around the world. I was actually surprised to see that a Russian company is part of their reseller network. If you really want the wallet, here is one way to get it:

CrypToro
https://cryptoro.ru

All the other resellers are here:
https://foundationdevices.com/resellers/
Activity: 1092
Merit: 227
This is by far way better version of hardware wallet. It looks so much premium as compared to my ledger. Now I’m feeling so down as compared to what I have and what is on the market. Honestly you can have first impression from the packaging and how a product is delivered to your doorsteps. Just scrolled through all the gallery posted by n0nce and I’m so impressed with how they made this product. It looks very lavish product by its appearance. Moreover, it has color screen man that’s even better than most of the Back LED type of screens. What  I mean is, it gives entirely modernist feeling. @n0nce must be premium when you are holding it in your hands? The technical details are already discussed in depth so yeah it has got one more vote for sure.
If memory serves correct, earlier versions of the passport2 firmware did default to a bigger QR code size .....

Anyhow, since the whole QR recognition code in general has been changed and optimized a lot, I do agree that defaulting back to a smaller number of larger-sized QR codes makes sense.
Sorry for misleading you on this matter.

Default remains large-sized QR code, i.e the smallest square I have mentioned in my previous post is selected on default.

Probably in my previous attempts to pair via QR I have touched somehow that joystick-button in the course of feeding data to WEB camera and thus changed the size of QR patterns.

Now I'm very cautious  as to  that button in  the course of pairing.

Corrected my previous post. Sorry once more.
No need to apologize, it's just very good to know, thanks for checking back on that!
Activity: 644
Merit: 1092

If memory serves correct, earlier versions of the passport2 firmware did default to a bigger QR code size .....

Anyhow, since the whole QR recognition code in general has been changed and optimized a lot, I do agree that defaulting back to a smaller number of larger-sized QR codes makes sense.

Sorry for misleading you on this matter.

Default remains large-sized QR code, i.e the smallest square I have mentioned in my previous post is selected on default.

Probably in my previous attempts to pair via QR I have touched somehow that joystick-button in the course of feeding data to WEB camera and thus changed the size of QR patterns.

Now I'm very cautious  as to  that button in  the course of pairing.

Corrected my previous post. Sorry once more.
That's a great tip! However, I do believe that most users will probably not be that savy regarding knowing it and it would be better to make it available to everyone, straight when the QR codes appears. Perhaps with your tip the developers could figure out what is making the application get slower in that particular menu? Or you're just using the menu correctly and every user has to select a square (I don't own a Passport).
If memory serves correct, earlier versions of the passport2 firmware did default to a bigger QR code size (requiring scanning fewer codes to transmit the same amount of data).
But those early versions had issues with recognition speed, ironically, since the device wasn't picking up QR codes fast enough so it had to cycle through them multiple times to gather all the data.

At least this was the case when scanning QR codes with Passport. I'm not sure whether scanning from the Passport screen had any issues.

[Or you're just using the menu correctly and every user has to select a square (I don't own a Passport).

Exactly, there is no need for special menu.

User should select correct square.

Perhaps  their official docs should be more detailed on that when describing how to pair device with the use of animated QR.

All three squares are very small. I noticed them only today and figured out what they are for.

Probably the default should be the smallest one.

UPD. The smallest one is default.
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 2830

Of course, pairing needs a bit more time, since there is much more data to transmit (much more than addresses or PSBTs).

Ha, I've got how to pair Passport via animated QR with a speed of light.

When animated code is shown on Passport display the latter exposes to view  three small squares  located at bottom of the screen  just in the center between left and right arrows. One should use  joystick-button and choose the smallest square. That results in increased QR patterns which are readily perceived  by Web camera. With this trickery I managed to pair Passport with Sparrow in less than 10 secs.

Piece of cake!
That's a great tip! However, I do believe that most users will probably not be that savy regarding knowing it and it would be better to make it available to everyone, straight when the QR codes appears. Perhaps with your tip the developers could figure out what is making the application get slower in that particular menu? Or you're just using the menu correctly and every user has to select a square (I don't own a Passport).

Of course, pairing needs a bit more time, since there is much more data to transmit (much more than addresses or PSBTs).

Ha, I've got how to pair Passport via animated QR with a speed of light.

When animated code is shown on Passport display the latter exposes to view  three small squares  located at bottom of the screen  just in the center between left and right arrows. One should use  joystick-button and choose the smallest square. That results in increased QR patterns which are readily perceived  by Web camera. With this trickery I managed to pair Passport with Sparrow in less than 10 secs.

Piece of cake!
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 2830
but I'd be interested to hear whether PSBTs are transferred fairly quickly.

The  PSBTs  are a bit slower than a light.  Wink  Moved all my stash from ledger nano s+ to Passport 2.
And it seems that the latest price reduction combined with the Ledger fiasco did wonders for stocking out some suppliers in the EU[1]:
Never expected this to happen. Contacted @Blockstream and @FOUNDATIONdvcs last night to restock ASAP.  Around 01.30 the website went down, came back online at 11.00. We’re very sorry for that. We just delivered almost every signing device we had in stock to the post office. 🙏 🧵
Keep up the nice work @foundationdvcs and @zherbert!

[1]https://nitter.it/BitcoinBrabant/status/1658837864724013063
but I'd be interested to hear whether PSBTs are transferred fairly quickly.

The  PSBTs  are a bit slower than a light.  Wink  Moved all my stash from ledger nano s+ to Passport 2.
Activity: 9
Merit: 42
Damn, really cool review!

We just recently chatted with these guys about Peach. 🍑

I'll be sure to pass on the link to this thread as well.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0PRWM4A2HklUh0yQwZGv9D

Quote from: foundationdevices
If you’ve been hearing the hype around Peach Bitcoin or simply starting to look into acquiring Bitcoin via a P2P exchange, today’s episode is for you! We’ll be diving into why Peach exists, how it’s different from the other P2P exchanges out there, and answering all your questions.
Interesting; I just installed it on my Founders Edition and it recognizes addresses as soon as the QR code enters the camera field of view. I've yet to try that firmware version on the Batch 2.
Yeah, it recognizes addresses quickly, but I was talking of initial pairing when app reads animated QR from Passport screen.
I just tried it on mine again and it took about half a minute to a minute. I don't think that computer hardware performance has anything to do with it, since the laptop I tried it on is weaker than yours.

Honestly, pairing is something you will do very rarely, so using a microSD card is fine, too, but I'd be interested to hear whether PSBTs are transferred fairly quickly. If not, you may have to open a support case with Foundation.
Over the last months of updates, the recognition speed became faster and faster with every release.

You just move between them using the device's arrow keys / keypad (left and right). Smiley

Oh, didn't realize that.

Interesting; I just installed it on my Founders Edition and it recognizes addresses as soon as the QR code enters the camera field of view. I've yet to try that firmware version on the Batch 2.

Yeah, it recognizes addresses quickly, but I was talking of initial pairing when app reads animated QR from Passport screen.

My Sparrow runs on relatively fastCore i7-7700 HQ, 16 Gb Ram and  today only forth attempt to pair it with Passport via animated QR has succeeded. But my hands were tired to hold Passport around  4-5  minutes in front of camera to get to the end. I can only imagine how it would be at say signing transaction.  

Probably do it via SD card less secure but at the same time more effortless.
I would honestly recommend you to ask these questions in the official Foundation Devices Passport thread, now that it exists.
Sorry for bothering you.
In my eyes you are a one to whom I may trust largely because of your experience and every your response has a value for me.
As a matter of fact my decision to have  Passport was due to your reviews.
Sorry if that came across wrong; it's not bothering me and I appreciate your words. Smiley It's just that I watch both threads anyway and if you expect a reponse by Foundation, the other thread may be better suited.

Regarding pairing: are you running the latest firmware?
Yes, The latest one, 2.1.0

[3] Where did you create those accounts?

What wallets do when you 'create new accounts' is just calculating the deterministic wallet at the next (or chosen) index and displaying its addresses (and balances). Nothing is actually 'created' in that sense, think of it more as 'displaying' a certain (hidden) account.

I understand that.  I was asking about moving between those  "(hidden) account's.  Say my primary is .../0' Then there is an option to create  .../1'  Suppose I have created that one. How to move between .../0'  and ../1' ? Only via software?
You just move between them using the device's arrow keys / keypad (left and right). Smiley
Depending on the wallet software, you may need to pair each 'account' individually (using the 'Connect Wallet' menu entry on Passport) or it may support multiple accounts in a concise user interface.

https://docs.foundationdevices.com/passport/account
I would honestly recommend you to ask these questions in the official Foundation Devices Passport thread, now that it exists.

Sorry for bothering you.
In my eyes you are a one to whom I may trust largely because of your experience and every your response has a value for me.
As a matter of fact my decision to have  Passport was due to your reviews.

Yes, The latest one, 2.1.0

[3] Where did you create those accounts?

What wallets do when you 'create new accounts' is just calculating the deterministic wallet at the next (or chosen) index and displaying its addresses (and balances). Nothing is actually 'created' in that sense, think of it more as 'displaying' a certain (hidden) account.

I understand that.  I was asking about moving between those  "(hidden) account's.  Say my primary is .../0' Then there is an option to create  .../1'  Suppose I have created that one. How to move between .../0'  and ../1' ? Only via software?

~

[1] As far as I know, yes. There is not much more that one may want to delete. The main difference from a fresh, new Passport is that you don't get the original 'walkthrough' again with the supply chain validation and whatnot. To the best of my knowledge, this is intentional to give users the ability to tell whether their Passport had been set up and reset before, or whether it comes untouched from the factory.
[2] I don't think the SD backups contain BIP-39 passphrases.
[3] Where did you create those accounts? Are you talking about an imported seed? I'd highly advise against importing a seed and recommend creating a new one, on-device and transfering funds on-chain.
If you still decide to import a seed which has different funded accounts (derivation paths) on it, they will reappear by 'creating' them on Passport again.
[4] I don't think nested SegWit is supported.

A few questions:

1)  What does "Erase Passport" do, erases SEED, nothing else?

2) As I got it if I setup my password and do after that backup on microSD the relevant encrypted 7-zip file will hold solely the SEED but not SEED+password, is this correct?

3) If I create a few accounts how can I move between them on Passport?

4) On default Passport creates accounts with native Segwit addrs. How account with nested Sefwit addrs can be created?

P.S.Pairing device  with 3rd parties  wallets via animated QR is still pain in the ass. I have tried it with both Spectre and Sparrow and neither  attempt succeeded. Pairing via micro SD works as it should be.
copper member
Activity: 72
Merit: 225

Thank you for the kind welcome!

Excited to better support our users (both current and potential) here on Bitcoin Talk, this will be a priority for us moving forward and we'll be monitoring the key threads around Foundation devices.

Expect to see software releases dropped here at the same time as publishing to Github, and any important company news etc. around Passport (+ future devices/products in their own threads!)

Welcome to Bitcointalk! Very awesome that you decided to join the original bitcoin community and I feel that this will only benefit your company and reputation!

Your devices are very promising and have a lot of great features. They somehow look a little bit like an old phone, which I can not decide if it is a good thing or a bad thing Smiley Is there a specific reason for that design choice?

The main reason is to make it a much more approachable and familiar device to people new to Bitcoin hardware wallets than the other options out there. We want people to pick it up and immediately understand the basics of typing, navigation, etc. through familiarity with old cell phones.

Very much an intentional design choice  Smiley

Sharing this from the official Passport thread as it's a massive new update and wanted to be sure everyone saw it! If you're not following that thread yet, you can do so here:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/foundation-passport-official-thread-5441422

The latest version of Passport firmware, v2.1.0, has been released!

Please note that this is our largest release in some time and also brings Founder's Edition up to date with Batch 2 devices, unifying our firmware. As this is such a large update, we'd love for you all to test it as much as you can before we announce it more widely.

Highlights of this release:

- Backporting v2.1.0 firmware to Founder’s Edition
- Sending to Taproot addresses
- A new Key Manager Extension for BIP 85 and Nostr key support and export
- BIP 85 SeedQR exports

For the full release notes, browse Github or read our blog post below:

https://foundationdevices.com/2023/05/passport-version-2-1-0-is-now-live/

NOTE: Since we are now releasing both firmware files from the same repo, the file naming has changed slightly. "Batch 2" devices use the same naming scheme for firmware as before:

Code:
v2.1.0-passport.bin

but Founder's Edition is now named explicitly to avoid confusion:

Code:
v2.1.0-founders-passport.bin
Pages:
Jump to: