Pages:
Author

Topic: Fourth alt coin thread last three got oversized. - page 65. (Read 108819 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 100
Have a couple 1200w psu's coming from Sidehack and working on getting picopsu and riser rig package from Finsky. Found a good outlet for 1500w common slot psu's that will work with Sidehack breakout boards. Figure as long as I manage power then 1500w psu will handle 8x 1080 ti well. Am I wrong?

I don't see a single 1500 watt power supply handling more than about 5 1080 ti at one time reliably (6 if they are FE cards *maybe* but that's pushing the supply to the limit).
 You MIGHT be able to push it to 6 (aftermarket) or 7 (FE) with a fairly hefty lowered TDP limit on all the cards but keep in mind that the cards run at 100% TDP and normal BIOS voltage when the rig first boots up, for a few secs at least, 'till whatever you're using to SET the lowered TDP kicks in - definitely put a sleep of at least 10 and preferably 20-30 seconds on the first line of your "start up the miner .bat file" to give everything else time to get going and initiated.

1500 + 1200 should handle 8 comfortably - 1500 for 5 cards, 1200 for the other 3 cards + the rest of the system.

Don't believe the "1080 Ti is a 250 watt TDP card" information - a LOT of the aftermarket cards set the TDP quite a bit higher to give them the OVERHEAD to be able to set those high "factory overclocks", and even on GAMING loads (which don't load up a GPU nearly as consistantly as mining does) a lot of review sites quote some of the 1080 ti cards as being MEASURED at 290 watts or so usage.

listen to QuintLeo - I have 6 that's been connected to my killowatt for the past 3 days and the draw from the wall is 1310 watts - that's at 70% TDP so at 100%... good luck!
Activity: 238
Have a couple 1200w psu's coming from Sidehack and working on getting picopsu and riser rig package from Finsky. Found a good outlet for 1500w common slot psu's that will work with Sidehack breakout boards. Figure as long as I manage power then 1500w psu will handle 8x 1080 ti well. Am I wrong?

I don't see a single 1500 watt power supply handling more than about 5 1080 ti at one time reliably (6 if they are FE cards *maybe* but that's pushing the supply to the limit).
 You MIGHT be able to push it to 6 (aftermarket) or 7 (FE) with a fairly hefty lowered TDP limit on all the cards but keep in mind that the cards run at 100% TDP and normal BIOS voltage when the rig first boots up, for a few secs at least, 'till whatever you're using to SET the lowered TDP kicks in - definitely put a sleep of at least 10 and preferably 20-30 seconds on the first line of your "start up the miner .bat file" to give everything else time to get going and initiated.

1500 + 1200 should handle 8 comfortably - 1500 for 5 cards, 1200 for the other 3 cards + the rest of the system.

Don't believe the "1080 Ti is a 250 watt TDP card" information - a LOT of the aftermarket cards set the TDP quite a bit higher to give them the OVERHEAD to be able to set those high "factory overclocks", and even on GAMING loads (which don't load up a GPU nearly as consistantly as mining does) a lot of review sites quote some of the 1080 ti cards as being MEASURED at 290 watts or so usage.

you are right QuintLeo - 5 x 1080 rig is a challenge because I noticed power draw for high end 1080ti and it runs best at higher clocks by default power draw which is often around the 200-250w plus mark -- so if you have better and high end 1080ti and want to run beyond 5 cards -- you surely need a twin psu solution. I plan to use 1200w x 2 server psu with my 5 card rig setup.

Appreciate the info! Maybe should look into the 2k psu packages then.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----

you are right QuintLeo - 5 x 1080 rig is a challenge because I noticed power draw for high end 1080ti and it runs best at higher clocks by default power draw which is often around the 200-250w plus mark -- so if you have better and high end 1080ti and want to run beyond 5 cards -- you surely need a twin psu solution. I plan to use 1200w x 2 server psu with my 5 card rig setup.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

legendary
I'm guessing with vega coming out that they won't be putting out anymore 500s till the release?

Won't be any new RX 5xx models, but they BETTER get more cards shipping on the existing models!
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
I'm guessing with vega coming out that they won't be putting out anymore 500s till the release?
legendary
---- winter*juvia -----

I will be running a 5 x 1080ti format at about 1000w-1200w .... this would give me about 4.xx amps per rig
 and with 20amp per circuit, I can have 4 rigs per circuit.

Running 8-10-12 rigs in one mobo is quite a feat in terms of rig cage size, psu, heat movement and cabling.

Its so tempting though.... but I have too many horror stories in my RX 480, 470 ETH days...

My current gold standard for my RX470 ETH farm below.... undervolted, slightly overclocked 27-28MHs per GPU.

smOS RX, 6/0/powerstage=0 and 162-165MHs per rig at about 1000-1050watts using Platinum server PSU 1200w.

No more tangled cables, bulky PSUs etc.

Would want to do dual PSU in future but those server PSUs are sold out everywhere.

Why not spend a little more and run 8 per mobo with server psu and pico? Just curious as that is what I am thinking of doing.

well  6 and 8 per mobo   involves riser trust.

and on really big scale it is the way to go.

question is  what is really big scale.

other info a listing from me.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1936171.new#new

DAM! LOL Seems like you always sell right after I spend my btc! With ordering from Sidehack and Finsky am tapped out.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Why not spend a little more and run 8 per mobo with server psu and pico? Just curious as that is what I am thinking of doing.

well  6 and 8 per mobo   involves riser trust.

and on really big scale it is the way to go.

question is  what is really big scale.

other info a listing from me.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1936171.new#new
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Question for ya Phil. If heat and space were not issues, what rigs would you run?

endless 1080 ti's  2 on a board

2 of these mobo's

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2V0AHI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?

my setup  would be the aorus 1080 ti's

with evga 750 p2 psus.

and i5 6400 t cpus

riser free

a 120 gb ssd for each board

and a pair of 4gb ddr4 ram sticks 

racks on wheels https://www.webstaurantstore.com/regency-24-x-60-nsf-chrome-shelf-kit-with-64-posts-and-casters/460EC2460KTC.html

long room  high exhaust fans

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-1600-CFM-Power-Gable-Mount-Attic-Fan-EGV6/205924917

low passive intake vents.
Question for ya Phil. If heat and space were not issues, what rigs would you run?
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
No, I dont want to run them at 100% Phil.  Btw i did small benchmark on my 1080ti Aorus on digibyte-skein :

https://gyazo.com/c568b5b6aae68b51bf4b5c3ae780e0f6

X axis is power limit
At 70% power limit we're losing only 9% hashrate

I will buy risers with PCIe power connectors.
Thanks a lot guys!

954 @ 70%? what are your clock and mem settings at?

also what pool and program r u using, gui looks pretty cool!
settings from msi afterburner :
Core +175 (1860MHz @ 70% power limit), memory all the way down (4500MHz).  
I use nemos miner on MPH.

graph's are from microsoft excel

As for the cards, so far I have 2x 1080ti Aorus. 2 more Aoruses coming today (and new motherboard, cpu) , and 2 1080ti Asus Founders edition coming tomorrow. I will setup 4x1080ti today using 6->8 pin adapter and see how it works. You might be correct that 6x1080ti can be a little too much for 1600W PSU. I will slowly add cards and monitor power consumption.   
legendary
2 PSU would be a viable option - a pair of the EVGA G2 1000 has a total of 12 x 6+2 and 4 x 6 pin, would have to use a couple of 2xmolex-to-PCI-E 6-pin adapters for 2 of the risers I think, or dig up 2 spare "y" cables (the supply itself has 6 connectors for VGA power, but apparently has 4 single PCI-E 6+2 and 2 "Y" 6+2 and 6 cables).

EVGA G2 series all use the same cables, you CAN mix-and-match among them.

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
Hey guys. Firstly thank you for your input, all these posts helped me a lot.

Im building a 1080ti rig (i want 6x).
I bought an EVGA 1600W P2 PSU. It has 9x vga power slots so i thought it will be allright but it turned out it has only 8pin->6 + (6+2) pin VGA cables. My Aorus 1080ti's have 2x8 pin slots so i dont have correct cable. In such case they advise just to use separate power cables from PSU to power each 8pin port, but this way i will be limited to 4 cards ( 2cablesx4cards=8 , and i have just 9 vga slots).

What are my options ? Return at least some Aoruses and replace them with Founders edition? (it has 6+8 pin port like my vga cable)? Buy some third party cables? Maybe use some sort of adapter?

EVGA sells "cable kits" for their power supplies - fairly cheap and same or better quality as the cables they ship with the PS, and not REAL expensive.

TDP of the Aorus appears to be around 280 watts, per what I can find in reviews of it on the net, which would be about 225 out of the PCI-E connectors. Using a "Y" cable with 2 8-pin connectors on it should be OK, EVGA cables tend to have very few issues even loaded down with ASIC machines pushing the cables to 300+ watts per cable (and those are usually due to someone trying to push 300+ watts through a 6-pin connector, which is out of spec for the connector itself much less PCI-E specs or the cable limits).

250 watts would be a 1080 Ti Founders Edition or some of the aftermarket not-highly-overclocked varients - a LOT of the Gigabyte GTX 10xx series cards are "factory overclocked" quite high with a 10% or so higher TDP limit, and the AORUS series seems to ALL be that way.

I would NOT make the "go ahead and use the Y cables" recommendation with *some* brands of power supply, however, or some REALLY HIGH TDP GPU cards.

There are places that sell adapters to go from a pair of 6-pin PCI-E to a single 8-pin - but those shouldn't be needed in your case.

Another solution is to use 2 x PSUs, I have 2 x G2-EVGA-1300w running 7x RX470s on the Gaming M5 motherboard (7 x slots).

Although I dont have the 8pinx2 requirement for RX470s but this 2 x PSU solution will solve your problem.

For your case, maybe get a "small" PSU - maybe a 1000w EVGA-G2, put all mobo, cpu and 2 x GPUs on that.... and 4 x GPUs on the 1600w PSU.

You need the Add-on PSU adapter though to get the 2 PSUs working as 1 single big ass PSU.
legendary
Hey guys. Firstly thank you for your input, all these posts helped me a lot.

Im building a 1080ti rig (i want 6x).
I bought an EVGA 1600W P2 PSU. It has 9x vga power slots so i thought it will be allright but it turned out it has only 8pin->6 + (6+2) pin VGA cables. My Aorus 1080ti's have 2x8 pin slots so i dont have correct cable. In such case they advise just to use separate power cables from PSU to power each 8pin port, but this way i will be limited to 4 cards ( 2cablesx4cards=8 , and i have just 9 vga slots).

What are my options ? Return at least some Aoruses and replace them with Founders edition? (it has 6+8 pin port like my vga cable)? Buy some third party cables? Maybe use some sort of adapter?

EVGA sells "cable kits" for their power supplies - fairly cheap and same or better quality as the cables they ship with the PS, and not REAL expensive.

TDP of the Aorus appears to be around 280 watts, per what I can find in reviews of it on the net, which would be about 225 out of the PCI-E connectors. Using a "Y" cable with 2 8-pin connectors on it should be OK, EVGA cables tend to have very few issues even loaded down with ASIC machines pushing the cables to 300+ watts per cable (and those are usually due to someone trying to push 300+ watts through a 6-pin connector, which is out of spec for the connector itself much less PCI-E specs or the cable limits).

250 watts would be a 1080 Ti Founders Edition or some of the aftermarket not-highly-overclocked varients - a LOT of the Gigabyte GTX 10xx series cards are "factory overclocked" quite high with a 10% or so higher TDP limit, and the AORUS series seems to ALL be that way.

I would NOT make the "go ahead and use the Y cables" recommendation with *some* brands of power supply, however, or some REALLY HIGH TDP GPU cards.

One thing to watch closely though - 6 x Aorus at 100% ARE probably an overload for the power supply as a whole if you're pushing them hard, like most cryptocoins do. You MIGHT want to think seriously about runnning 5 of them, or going with 1 or 2 lower-level cards. Some of the reviews I saw were showing 290ish watt usage on GAMING loads at peak - mining some cryptocoins put MORE load and use MORE power on AVERAGE than most peak gaming loads can manage.

Make sure you check actual power consumption at the 4 and 5 card levels before you add the 6'th card.

There are places that sell adapters to go from a pair of 6-pin PCI-E to a single 8-pin - but those shouldn't be needed in your case.

legendary
---- winter*juvia -----
meanwhile....there is Claymore monitoring app with sms alert

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.19192507
Activity: 350
No, I dont want to run them at 100% Phil.  Btw i did small benchmark on my 1080ti Aorus on digibyte-skein :

https://gyazo.com/c568b5b6aae68b51bf4b5c3ae780e0f6

X axis is power limit
At 70% power limit we're losing only 9% hashrate

I will buy risers with PCIe power connectors.
Thanks a lot guys!

954 @ 70%? what are your clock and mem settings at?

also what pool and program r u using, gui looks pretty cool!
Pages:
Jump to: