Pages:
Author

Topic: Fourth alt coin thread last three got oversized. - page 84. (Read 108819 times)

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Looking for some advice, I'm a little confused on how to best cool a farm of open air rigs on shelves.

With an open-air rig of non-reference GPUs, should I be pushing cool air over the rear of the rig and pulling hot air from the front where the GPUs are? Or is it the other way around?

fan >>> rig - gpu >>> fan >>>

@ talking dreams   xmr on the cpu and zec on the gpu    check your watts used  vs your hash rate

Wouldn't that take ages to get some decent return? I mean such a high difficult coins.

duh  I did not realize  you are talkingdreams Grin

Sorry just pick a worthless coin  and mine it  then hodl it.

So I would say mine cpu+gpu  hodl coin and hold it.  Maybe it goes up

So many don't get small scale mining on speculation.  I have been cpu mining hodl on XMR and scrape some off for quite a while without buying a thing.  I haven't bothered to run the numbers lately but, it's panned out fine as greater returns than converting lektrik.

I usually pick a shit coin 2 or 3 times a year and buy a few hundred in usd worth of it.  Say  buy something at 0.00000050 btc

list it at 0.00000500  and look at it every 75 days  lets say it went to 0.00000100  Id' sell it for the 0.00000100 and take a 2x profit,but

mining any shit coin on the cheap  getting a few hundred coins and listing at 10x the price can work too.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
Looking for some advice, I'm a little confused on how to best cool a farm of open air rigs on shelves.

With an open-air rig of non-reference GPUs, should I be pushing cool air over the rear of the rig and pulling hot air from the front where the GPUs are? Or is it the other way around?

@ talking dreams   xmr on the cpu and zec on the gpu    check your watts used  vs your hash rate

Wouldn't that take ages to get some decent return? I mean such a high difficult coins.

So many don't get small scale mining on speculation.  I have been cpu mining hodl on XMR and scrape some off for quite a while without buying a thing.  I haven't bothered to run the numbers lately but, it's panned out fine as greater returns than converting lektrik.
legendary

Ordered these; I will see what the problem is when I get them.

Not sure if you care but you can get the newer/better i3-7100 cheaper as it has a $10 off code Smiley

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117734&ignorebbr=1

he got the 6100 on purpose to duplicate my board setup.

If he gets it running it is a good board as it can do 2,3,4 cards and is m sized.

which mean a very small 4 card cool build is possible.

I want to showcase a four card riser build with a m-sized board.

the i3 6100 and i3 6100 t  are pretty cheap on ebay and amazon used.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Dual-Core-i3-6100T-CPU-Processor-3-20-GHz-SR2HE-/232324608693?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-I3-6100T-3-2GHz-6th-Generation-3Mb-Cache-Socket-1151-CPU-Processor-SR2HE-/352049983264?
Activity: 349
Merit: 250

Not sure if you care but you can get the newer/better i3-7100 cheaper as it has a $10 off code Smiley

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117734&ignorebbr=1
legendary

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Phil,

the biostar tb85 will work for sure; use the ASRock H81 PRO BTC or BIOSTAR TB85 image

if any of these mobos don't OC a card let me know and I will get one myself and provide a fully supported image for it.

biostar b150s1 ( try the ASRock H81 PRO BTC or BIOSTAR TB85 image )

biostar z170gt7 ( try the ASRock H81 PRO BTC or BIOSTAR TB85 image )  no go with z270 stick

gigabyte b250m-gaming 3 (  try the MSI Z270-A PRO image ) no go with z270 stick

gigabyte aorus z270 ( try the MSI Z270-A PRO image )

gigabyte ga270-hd3 ( try the MSI Z270-A PRO image )

Edit:  also v0014 is for USB keys only, it will NOT autoboot an SSD or HDD. 

IMO USB keys are easier to build and deploy plus are (usually) significantly cheaper.  If you use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDrive-16GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00S5V5PMY it is also fast enough to even use the GUI with ease.

I now use the lexar usb keys on all my rigs and have a stack of unused SSDs and M2s waiting to be made into a burst or storj or sia rig.

I get it to boot and it hangs right after first screen  with choices I let it go to 16.05 then it hangs

Which mobo is this; and what are all the other components of the rig?

I used a 1070 just 1 card.
I used a 32 gb sandisk usb 3  it works well for smos so I wrote over the 0014 version
I used the gigabyte b250m gaming 3 mobo

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145007

it can do up to 4 cards

I used an evga 750 p2 psu
1 stick of ddr4 ram 4gb

I used a monitor connected via  the nvidia and a usb mouse and a usb keyboard.

the screen came up

1 unbutu
2 advanced
3 memtest
4 memtest
5 win 10 dev

I waited it went to unbutu 16.04  and hung

this unit has an intel i3 6100 cpu

I will test with a new mobo and an intel i5 7500

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128966&cm_re=aorus_mobo-_-13-128-966-_-Produc

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

legendary

Activity: 89
Merit: 10
What alt coin is worth mining if you got a i7 and a 970 gtx?
Activity: 59
Merit: 0

Oooh, pretty Cheesy

What model MSI boards are those?
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1002
Mine Mine Mine
some pizza boxes arrived finally . . .

OP got yr msg, let me check on my current stock.

shipping to USA is fast, if you are free to post up some pix of them & see who else wants to join & do a group buy ? well if you have the time, shipping time is the same & sve on shipping too. it's entirely up to you.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
I already asked that question - but did not get a clear answer.

Is it possible to modify BIOS for 1080ti card using the same tools as for RX 480? Can be that BIOS flashed with the same tools as we are doing with RX 480?

No  but the guy to ask is wolf0  he is one of the flashing experts.

or ask elovip

I will check with Eliovp - thank you!
legendary
Phil,

the biostar tb85 will work for sure; use the ASRock H81 PRO BTC or BIOSTAR TB85 image

if any of these mobos don't OC a card let me know and I will get one myself and provide a fully supported image for it.

biostar z170gt7 ( try the ASRock H81 PRO BTC or BIOSTAR TB85 image )  no go with z270 stick

IMO USB keys are easier to build and deploy plus are (usually) significantly cheaper.  If you use this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lexar-JumpDrive-16GB-Flash-Drive/dp/B00S5V5PMY it is also fast enough to even use the GUI with ease.

I now use the lexar usb keys on all my rigs and have a stack of unused SSDs and M2s waiting to be made into a burst or storj or sia rig.

I get it to boot and it hangs right after first screen  with choices I let it go to 16.05 then it hangs

I used a 1070 just 1 card.
I used a 32 gb sandisk usb 3  it works well for smos so I wrote over the 0014 version
I used the gigabyte b250m gaming 3 mobo

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145007

it can do up to 4 cards

I used an evga 750 p2 psu
1 stick of ddr4 ram 4gb

I used a monitor connected via  the nvidia and a usb mouse and a usb keyboard.

the screen came up

1 unbutu
2 advanced
3 memtest
4 memtest
5 win 10 dev

I waited it went to unbutu 16.04  and hung

this unit has an intel i3 6100 cpu

I will test with a new mobo and an intel i5 7500

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128966&cm_re=aorus_mobo-_-13-128-966-_-Product

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009
Phil,

Just did a little testing with 2 x 1080 ti Founder Editions Smiley

Power limit - 80%
Core clock - default
Memory clock +800
Fan speed - 70%

Those settings land me around 1771 core / 11610 memory and 530W at the wall for ~36.7 Mh/s per card
This system is a Supermicro motherboard with dual Xeon 2670 CPU's and 128GB ram, so system power is pretty high.

ZEC and other coins give far better results at considerably less power
For instance I can get ~1050 sol/s for only 370W at the wall, which is ~4.2 sol/W

1050 sol / 370w with one card?

2 x 1080ti Founder Editions as low as they can go at 50% power efficiency Cheesy
You can do even better at the wall with a socket 1151 system, because I was using 2 x CPU's etc.
Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Is it possible to run amd And NVIDIA cards on the same rig ?

Yes - but in general the machine will end up being somewhat less stable than running a "pure" rig one way or the other.

Easy to do on Windows 7 or 10 (almost the ONLY think Windows does better than LINUX), can be done under LINUX but the installation of drivers is a bit more complicated.

So if I have a rig with 5x SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon R9 280X DirectX 12 100363VX-3L 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support TRI-X WITH BOOST (UEFI) Video Card

I want to add another card to this rig, I am planning to mine zcash with it --- I want to add the most effective card to this rig, what would everyone suggest?

Buy a kill-a-watt meter and see how much power you are pulling on the rig.

those cards pull heavy power.

Let us know the watts you use at the meter
Let us know the hashrate you have
Let us know your power cost.

I may suggest buy no more cards until you sell  off some of the r9 280x cards.
I would like to  give you correct advice.

If possible I'd like to keep those cards, with that in mind would it be possible to add another card and if so what?
Activity: 1414
Merit: 487
YouTube.com/VoskCoin
Just did a little testing with 2 x 1080 ti Founder Editions Smiley

Power limit - 80%
Core clock - default
Memory clock +800
Fan speed - 70%

Those settings land me around 1771 core / 11610 memory and 530W at the wall for ~36.7 Mh/s per card
This system is a Supermicro motherboard with dual Xeon 2670 CPU's and 128GB ram, so system power is pretty high.

ZEC and other coins give far better results at considerably less power
For instance I can get ~1050 sol/s for only 370W at the wall, which is ~4.2 sol/W

1050 sol / 370w with one card?
Activity: 434
Merit: 251
I just hooked up my 27.5Kw sub panel for mining.

Those wires are big!
legendary
I already asked that question - but did not get a clear answer.

Is it possible to modify BIOS for 1080ti card using the same tools as for RX 480? Can be that BIOS flashed with the same tools as we are doing with RX 480?

No  but the guy to ask is wolf0  he is one of the flashing experts.

or ask elovip
Pages:
Jump to: