Pages:
Author

Topic: [FRC] - Difficulty Adjustment fork SUCCESSFUL! - page 10. (Read 15849 times)

legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1011
How long it would take for difficulty to retarget from 1 to 1+ million or the opposite case?

Bitcoin Megastore, I'm getting around 10 days but there is no telling how that would play out without really testing it.

Every 9 blocks it can adjust as much as +/- 1.055x. That's approximately a doubling (or halving) every 117 blocks, or a factor of +/- 10x every 387 blocks. So 1 to 1e6 or vice versa would take about 2322 blocks, plus another day/144 blocks or so for it to stabilize (the filter is slightly under-damped, so it overshoots and then corrects; you can see that in the real results above). How that works out in real time is a different story, because obviously 1 block != 10min for most of the adjustment period. From 1 to 1e9 about 10 days sounds about right and I trust galambo to have calculated that correctly. In the other direction it'll take quite a bit longer, as at first ~19 years (!) will pass between blocks. Hard-fork is your only real option in that case.
Activity: 182
Merit: 10
The change in the OP is slightly confusing, if I updated my local client to 0.0.2-2 a couple of days ago, do I need to update again?

The download link points to a copy of 0.0.2-2, so it looks like nothing has changed except when an upgrade to 0.0.2-2 is mandatory.

It is confusing and for that I apologize. We took the exact same source code and changed the cutoff block to earlier (block #28336). The new binaries replaced the old binaries at the same URL. So download the binary again, and install it again overwriting the old files.

Lol, that's bound to cause some confusion Tongue

Hopefully it all turns out for the best
legendary
Activity: 905
Merit: 1011
The change in the OP is slightly confusing, if I updated my local client to 0.0.2-2 a couple of days ago, do I need to update again?

The download link points to a copy of 0.0.2-2, so it looks like nothing has changed except when an upgrade to 0.0.2-2 is mandatory.

It is confusing and for that I apologize. We took the exact same source code and changed the cutoff block to earlier (block #28336). The new binaries replaced the old binaries at the same URL. So download the binary again, and install it again overwriting the old files.
Activity: 966
Merit: 311
How long it would take for difficulty to retarget from 1 to 1+ million or the opposite case?

Bitcoin Megastore, I'm getting around 10 days but there is no telling how that would play out without really testing it.
Activity: 54
Merit: 0

Activity: 966
Merit: 311

Here's an example of how the filter works. This was produced in the process of testing the filter.

Have you ever seen a cryptocoin which achieves an appropriate difficulty in one day, starting from diff of 1?

That's what Freicoin does now.
Activity: 91
The fork has been moved forward to block #28336! Please read the OP.
how is this stickied?
...because it's an important announcement?
Just because you don't like the coin doesn't mean development stops.
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
www.bitcointrading.com
how is this stickied?
Activity: 158
Merit: 100

What is the point of upgrading your hardware if it makes the same amount of coin as before in a short time?

The incentive to protect the network via block reward is lost if you get the same result for more hardware.

This ungrade (downgrade would be generous) makes no sense.
Hi zerodrama,

but that's just the way it is... even for bitcoin: The amount of generated coins remains constant, and with global hashing power rising you need to invest to keep your share of generated coins constant.
With sha-256 this will soon force out less efficient hardware (for example GPUs regarding power consumption, then FPGAs until it may only be profitable with ASICs).
This will then put the formerly sha-256 mining GPUs onto scrypt chains like litecoin, and there it will become interesting... will litecoin value increase vs. bitcoin to compensate and stay profitable despite higher hashing power, or ...?

Think of it this way: Every normal factory will be forced once in a while to upgrade their factory machines - depending on market this may be once every few months or once every few decades.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
I find it disturbing that Bitcon devs do not react even a bit on problems many other cryptocoins ran into, like somehow Bitcoin is different and the same can't happen to it. Fools.
Once it happens, it will hurt a lot.

Why would the Bitcoin devs expect to see a rapid drop in hashing power like has hit a few alt coins? BTC certainly hasn't peaked, nor is it showing the slightest signs of doing so.

LOL anyone who wasn't able to see that FRC's design would have these implications of large chunks of time between diff adjustments due to huge influx of miners...is fail...just fail.

LOL anyone who wasn't able to see that BTC's design would have these implications of large chunks of time between diff adjustments due to huge influx of miners...is fail...just fail.

Um....Sure!
Not really sure of what your trying to say but cool.

Ah, joke. I see @_@

No, it is not a joke.

In your opinion, it can't happen that Bitcoin runs into the same problems all other coins which retarget once per week or so already ran into. At the time it is obvious the future of
Bitcoin is in less and less hands, people like you still think Bitcoin is strong. It can't happen that Chinese mafia or government knock on the ASICMiner doors and suggest offline mode
permanently, or some similar entities knock on doors of publicly known individuals running major Bitcoin pools and suggest the same. Even if that happens, all miners will switch to
solo mining or other pools and save the Bitcoin!

You better wake up before it is too late.

I agree with you, I just found your last post oddly confusing XD
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Sure hope it works, and well. Might be a nice solution to these terrible coin launches and the incoming ASICpocalypse

And it would be a good extra point in making Freicoin unique, apart from story and philosophy behind it that other coins lag :-)

Feathercoin has a hash attack, anti-wham bam thank you ma'am option in the works. And it's not trying to get rid of investment advantage like all the other coins seem to do.

Perfection is a disease.
Activity: 364
Merit: 250
Also note that due to some extensive research and simulation run by our developers maaku and galambo we thing FRC will after this new algorithm goes into place have the highest degree of 'fitness' (the match between difficulty and actual network hash rate) of any coin EVER.

What is the point of upgrading your hardware if it makes the same amount of coin as before in a short time?

The incentive to protect the network via block reward is lost if you get the same result for more hardware.

This ungrade (downgrade would be generous) makes no sense.
Sure hope it works, and well. Might be a nice solution to these terrible coin launches and the incoming ASICpocalypse

And it would be a good extra point in making Freicoin unique, apart from story and philosophy behind it that other coins lag :-)
Can't we just get along Tongue We all have our own opinions. Personally, I like the ideas behind the coin, and I'll give it my own support

When more ASICs (that mine SHA2560) are released, FRC will be destroyed by MEGA MINING of FRC.

Hang on to your precious FRC and be taxed on it with demurrage.  Tongue
I don't see that coming - if the algorithm is good, it will just increase difficulty accordingly getting block creation rate back to original rate within a short time.

When more ASICs (that mine SHA2560) are released, FRC will be destroyed by MEGA MINING of FRC.

Hang on to your precious FRC and be taxed on it with demurrage.  Tongue
I don't see that coming - if the algorithm is good, it will just increase difficulty accordingly getting block creation rate back to original rate within a short time.
Activity: 151
Let's just hope smoothie doesn't realize this is his last chance ever to make Bics FRC stash rot noticeably faster (spoiler: by pointing his mining-rig at Freicoin before the update block... )Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
@smoothie, stop trolling.

@Bik, don't feed the trolls Smiley

No.  Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
Can someone in simple terms explain to me what's going on?

A new difficulty adjustment algorithm is going live soon to better self-adjust for things like lots of ASICs mining when profitability is high, then jumping ship when profitability is low. Terracoin had a similar problem recently.

Which in turn is inflationary.
Pages:
Jump to: