Pages:
Author

Topic: Garr255/Werner - Auction shilling - page 4. (Read 23084 times)

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
June 21, 2013, 07:22:14 PM
The forum admins here don't seem to care about the auction system here having any sort of validity.  But why is everyone missing the fact that not only was the Werner account shilling bids, he was also trolling others with it.  Maybe scamming and trolling are acceptable here???

The trolling aspect was covered pretty well in this thread.

Chronologically, a lot took place in that one before this scam accusation thread started.  This scam accusation thread only began a little after this point in the original thread:

Now, aside this BFL story, I never believed in sock-puppets accusations. (call me naive, yes)
I thought...what would be the real purpose of such account?
I mean, what the heck can I do with a new account and I can't do with the old one?

So now that I found that I was wrong...really Garr255, what is the purpose of this Werner account of yours?
I am just curious.

Looks like Garr has gone back and deleted at least one of the more egregious posts in that thread, if not more.  Hmm...

Had a post deleted also.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
June 21, 2013, 07:21:45 PM
The forum admins here don't seem to care about the auction system here having any sort of validity.  But why is everyone missing the fact that not only was the Werner account shilling bids, he was also trolling others with it.  Maybe scamming and trolling are acceptable here???

Chronologically, a lot took place in that one before this scam accusation thread started.  This scam accusation thread only began a little after this point in the original thread:

Now, aside this BFL story, I never believed in sock-puppets accusations. (call me naive, yes)
I mean, what the heck can I do with a new account and I can't do with the old one?

So now that I found that I was wrong...really Garr255, what is the purpose of this Werner account of yours?
I am just curious.

Looks like Garr has gone back and deleted at least one of the more egregious posts in that thread, if not more.  Hmm...

Jesus christ don't you have some dick to some dick to suck josh.  This thread is over 20 pages now and nothing has been acomplished.  Wait I take that back.  The only thing that's been acomplished is that someone fucked you at your own game. I don't feel any bit sorry for your pansy ass.  Also I'm very pleased I can say this without you throwing your dinky phallus power in my direction.  No order to cancel mother fucker LoL.

legendary
Activity: 1554
June 21, 2013, 07:21:00 PM
fyi, shill bidding is a felony in the United states, so there again, whether or not it was a real scam is subject to conjecture/opinion.

sources: My uncle runs an auction house in Little Rock, Arkansas.

It's also a felony to resist the government's violent thugs, and the US is fine with bombing innocent people, so I don't put much stock in the US's view on ethics.

Shall we nitpick your country and the way they handle shit?  I was going to mention that this comment shows zero leadership qualities.  Then I remembered you just own and run this fourm.  Not that I agree with everything my country does in it's shadowbox king maker realm. This was still an unneeded stab

I read it 20 times, and as try as i might, i just cant see what it means here and now. So in the absence of anything else meaningful, Im starting to think the same re qualities, with regret.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
June 21, 2013, 07:17:54 PM

I am just curious.

Which one are you referring to?  Quite a bit has been quoted since and may in fact be posted elsewhere.
legendary
Activity: 1260
June 21, 2013, 07:14:04 PM

I am just curious.

Activity: 351
June 21, 2013, 07:13:39 PM
Wow! what a thread. Today, on bitcointalk.org, I learned to always ask in an auction before posting a bid, if the OP, friend's of the OP, alts, sockpuppets, or his mother will be bidding on his auction before making a bid.

I'm going to take a shower now.
Activity: 574
June 21, 2013, 07:11:02 PM
fyi, shill bidding is a felony in the United states, so there again, whether or not it was a real scam is subject to conjecture/opinion.

It's also a felony to resist the government's violent thugs, and the US is fine with bombing innocent people, so I don't put much stock in the US's view on ethics.

Shall we nitpick your country and the way they handle shit?  I was going to mention that this comment shows zero leadership qualities.  Then I remembered you just own and run this fourm.  Not that I agree with everything my country does in it's shadowbox king maker realm. This was still an unneeded stab
legendary
Activity: 1789
Merit: 2535
Goonies never say die.
June 21, 2013, 06:42:37 PM
I feel like I really need to know a lot more about theymos's ideological views... although, I would hope we can put aside ideological views for the good of the bitcoin community?   Cool
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
June 21, 2013, 06:40:23 PM

But is there a reason that shilling and dupe accounts are not prohibited by the TOS? Is that an ideological choice?

It seems to me that you either promote fair dealing or you don't, and while I agree that auction shilling isn't anywhere near pirate level, felonious behavior, it certainly isn't fair dealing. You can't get a little bit pregnant.
I agree 100%.  In my opinion, a scammer is anyone who goes back on their word in any kind of trade or deal and is unable or refuses to compensate the victim in a manner acceptable to the victim.
Activity: 420
June 21, 2013, 06:35:53 PM

But is there a reason that shilling and dupe accounts are not prohibited by the TOS? Is that an ideological choice?

It seems to me that you either promote fair dealing or you don't, and while I agree that auction shilling isn't anywhere near pirate level, felonious behavior, it certainly isn't fair dealing. You can't get a little bit pregnant.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
June 21, 2013, 06:30:02 PM
TIL a person can be a scammer on bitcointalk without actually being labeled as one.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
June 21, 2013, 06:25:17 PM
[...]
The preceding ethical analysis is irrelevant to forum administration, though. Scammer tags are given, in general, to people who break explicit agreements.

...and those agreements better be air-tight, 'coz when socking & shilling are legitimized by not being specifically forbidden, best not assume anything  Roll Eyes

Activity: 714
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
June 21, 2013, 06:22:44 PM

Theymos is proud to have double standards.
Activity: 617
Merit: 559
June 21, 2013, 06:20:14 PM

Having an alt that artificially raises the bid price is similar to a secret reserve price in an auction. There's nothing inherently wrong with it

Garr255 never promised not to bid on his own auctions. He never even promised to honor the results of the auctions. Without contracts that say otherwise, auctions are only devices to assist in price negotiations.

Then these quotes should be stickied at the top of the auction page.  Better yet:

Bid here only to a maximum of what you are willing to spend.  Auctioneers may opt to artificially inflate the price using alternate accounts if necessary.  No one is putting a gun to your head to outbid said alternate accounts.  Shilling/sock-puppeting is condoned and expected behavior.  Bid accordingly.

I would request the above, if true, be stickied at the top of the auction page.

Well, it's true, we had confirmation from the forum admin.

So, +1 to the sticky.

What is the official stance on this? Is bidding on your own auctions using an alternative user account / personality acceptable auction behaviour? Yes, we all agree it is unethical behaviour, but is it condoned? I will not do this to other forum members however many other forum members will delight in the ability to swindle extra ฿ out of the community, consequence free.

This is evident by the litany of theft and crime that takes place in the community. More time is spent on trying to track down the broken pieces of deals and agreements than is spent driving the eco-system forward. I want to know if I will be competing with multiple personality accounts on future auctions, I think other honest forum members deserve to be made aware if this is an environment that will continue to allow this deceitful behaviour to prosper.

Lastly, the Trust system here holds no value. Anyone that has/is/will give Gar255 or any of his multiple personality accounts a positive rating may have done so under false pretences, as well as many other dishonest forum members who shill bid or performed other underhanded works under the guise of another forum account.

Long story short: This community must start to work together to protect itself from the wolves, which are closing in on the sheep as we speak.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
June 21, 2013, 06:09:11 PM

what ever, not gonna argue with you. Just to still make it known, I have gotten no contact from garr or any money

And if my understanding of forum policy is correct. You can expect Garr to get a scammer tag if you do not receive your 5 bitcoins.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
June 21, 2013, 06:07:59 PM

As I learned after Josh and Luke Jr. defrauded people who bet against BFL on betsofbitcoin: Actions qualifying as fraud do not necessarily and often do not qualify one for a 'scammer' tag here.

I guess I'm understanding that theymos' criteria for a 'scammer' tag is simply breach of an agreed upon explicit contract.

I think a big part of the problem here is the use of the word 'scammer'. That word holds many different connotations to different people. Clearly theymos wants this forum to operate independently of any established social norms. Which is interesting, but not too surprising considering his political views.

Theymos, you should perhaps consider changing the phrasing of the tag to something more specific. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of this drama relating to people arguing over things they think qualify for the tag could be avoided.
legendary
Activity: 1630
June 21, 2013, 06:01:39 PM

what ever, not gonna argue with you. Just to still make it known, I have gotten no contact from garr or any money
Activity: 541
June 21, 2013, 05:58:21 PM
Lol, too many threads to follow.  Lots of action to catch up on.  Will read that one next  Smiley
Activity: 728
June 21, 2013, 05:54:16 PM

Chronologically, a lot took place in that one before this scam accusation thread started.  This scam accusation thread only began a little after this point in the original thread:

I am just curious.

administrator
Activity: 5222
Merit: 13032
June 21, 2013, 05:50:13 PM

Pages:
Jump to: