Pages:
Author

Topic: Gauging interest in a S5+ / 3xS7 specific power supply breakout board - page 4. (Read 9702 times)

donator
Activity: 1055
Merit: 1020
I need 10 of these J4bberwock! Let me know.
fhh
legendary
Activity: 1206
Merit: 1000
What's the actual time table?
legendary
Activity: 1876

I would be interested in this also....

subscribed!
Activity: 700
Merit: 501
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=905210.msg

If you get a package coming to the US please put me on the list.
Nothing like flashing lights to excite me.

I want the deluxe model, all options possible, and definitely the fan shroud.

I have a stack of these supplies for backups. I need the board and the side plates.
Activity: 687
Merit: 511
Quick question - are you going to have a pin-header on it to turn it off/on?  With the PDU's I have, I don't think they can turn on/off two ports at the same time, there's a slight delay so it would be much better to be able to setup a relay to do that.
Activity: 840
I just shared this on the S7 thread.  I hope you don't mind.  I think it's a great idea.  If you had rather I did not share it, I will take it down upon request.

Thanks, I hope I won't get too many orders because of you, there are only 24 hours a day where I live  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
I just shared this on the S7 thread.  I hope you don't mind.  I think it's a great idea.  If you had rather I did not share it, I will take it down upon request.
Will it work with only 1x DPS-2000 BB ? (I only need 2000W)
I only have one S7 coming my way and I want to undervolt it.

Yes, but you'll need to connect it to one specific slot, and you'll lose the benefit of the side plate for easier cooling.
Activity: 190
Merit: 100
Will it work with only 1x DPS-2000 BB ? (I only need 2000W)
I only have one S7 coming my way and I want to undervolt it.
Regarding the sideplates, I believe almost everybody will take them, but they will be offered as options, as well as the small voltmeter. Once the voltage is set on one PSU, you  can use the same for the next PSU, so there is no real need to charge you one for each breakout board unless you like to see the LEDs.

Is there an easy way to display the amp draw instead of voltage?  The bling of LED's on them all isn't that compelling, but if I could see a live amp draw from each, that would be something I'd buy for each one...  Just slap a ACS712 on there and you're in business!  Smiley

Sideplates with M3 threads (nutserts or similar) to attach both PSUs together and make the 120mm fans installation easier: 2 screws to remove from the PSUs, attach the plate, screw the fans, "et voila".

Expected price: $55.
Maximum size of first batch will be 150 boards.

Looks great! A few suggestions, if they don't make fabrication unreasonable:

First:

(From this presentation - slides 6 through 12 are the meat.)

Second:
The DPS-2000BBs cool better if they're spaced ~0.5cm apart and parallel - the ventilation holes
occupy a more favorable part of the fan disc and the flow between the units exposes a decent
area of hot metal and lowers the static pressure...

Really looking forward to this!

Thanks for the tech data.
I'll have the sideplates laser cut or something similar, so using optimized holes won't be an issue.

Regarding the spacing, I'll anyway have 5mm to 6mm between the plate and the PSUs because of the standoffs and some clearance for the M3 threads used for mounting the fans.
It wasn't on purpose for a better cooling according to your second remark, but it's good to know that it will help.
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009
After a little bit of cheating (opening the PSU to adjust the voltage down to 11.8v), I'm now able to output 11.18v with external adjustment.

So, final design should be able to do from 11.2v to 13.0v to cover all the voltages supported by the BM1385 chips (0.60v to 0.71v) if you open the PSU and trim one potentiometer that is easy to access.
Without opening the PSU, the lowest voltage will be 0.6v below the original voltage of your PSU, and max voltage will be 1.2v over the original voltage.

I'll test load the PSU at both output voltages with some S5s during 1 or 2 days before I send a design for manufacturing the PCB.

Id be willing to pay the extra bucks for the ability to control voltage this board will out last my S7 into future projects all of which id love the options to over or undervolt at my discretion if that can be an option id be all for it
E
Activity: 234
Merit: 100

Sideplates with M3 threads (nutserts or similar) to attach both PSUs together and make the 120mm fans installation easier: 2 screws to remove from the PSUs, attach the plate, screw the fans, "et voila".

Expected price: $55.
Maximum size of first batch will be 150 boards.

Looks great! A few suggestions, if they don't make fabrication unreasonable:

First:

(From this presentation - slides 6 through 12 are the meat.)

Second:
The DPS-2000BBs cool better if they're spaced ~0.5cm apart and parallel - the ventilation holes
occupy a more favorable part of the fan disc and the flow between the units exposes a decent
area of hot metal and lowers the static pressure...

Really looking forward to this!
After a little bit of cheating (opening the PSU to adjust the voltage down to 11.8v), I'm now able to output 11.18v with external adjustment.

So, final design should be able to do from 11.2v to 13.0v to cover all the voltages supported by the BM1385 chips (0.60v to 0.71v) if you open the PSU and trim one potentiometer that is easy to access.
Without opening the PSU, the lowest voltage will be 0.6v below the original voltage of your PSU, and max voltage will be 1.2v over the original voltage.

I'll test load the PSU at both output voltages with some S5s during 1 or 2 days before I send a design for manufacturing the PCB.
Update on the voltage regulation:
I managed to go down to 11.58v, the extra cost will be around $4, I'm not sure it's worth it for the small gain we'll have in efficiency.
Below 11.58v doesn't seem possible via external adjustment.

On the S7, we'll power the chips with 0.64v instead of 0.67v, so efficiency would be close to 0.22W/GH instead of 0.25W/GH

Overvolting the S7, assuming you can provide sufficient cooling should offer the following results:
12.9v input, 0.30W/GH, 5,65TH (1700w at the wall)

Undervolting at 11.6v input should give something like this:
0.22W/GH, 3.7TH, (840W at the wall)

Obviously, Bitmain won't offer any support if we overvolt/undervolt the S7.
Activity: 261
Merit: 250
I'll be testing undervolting the PSU below 11.8v this afternoon.

Regarding the sideplates, I believe almost everybody will take them, but they will be offered as options, as well as the small voltmeter. Once the voltage is set on one PSU, you  can use the same for the next PSU, so there is no real need to charge you one for each breakout board unless you like to see the LEDs.
There will be a header to easily plug/unplug the voltmeter.

J4bberwock, you are the man!  No matter what people are trying to do, you offer a perfect solution for them, thank you very much!!
I'll be testing undervolting the PSU below 11.8v this afternoon.

Regarding the sideplates, I believe almost everybody will take them, but they will be offered as options, as well as the small voltmeter. Once the voltage is set on one PSU, you  can use the same for the next PSU, so there is no real need to charge you one for each breakout board unless you like to see the LEDs.
There will be a header to easily plug/unplug the voltmeter.
Activity: 261
Merit: 250
Sideplates are critical to me - since these PSU's don't have fans in them, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want the side plates, and I doubt they would effect shipping in a substantial way.  Plus then you're going to end up having to hack some sort of fan option anyway, so why not have a nice clean option from the get go.

Air shipping metal plates across the planet tends to be somewhat wasteful when a simple zip tie does the job.  But, I don't know the exact price for the plates with shipping, which is why I was simply asking for the 2 pricing options.  Once we know the price, we could make an informed decision.

If I zip tie the 2 fans or mount the fans to the plates it is about the same amount of work.  So, if it costs much more for the plates (with shipping), personally I would pass.  Like I said, I love the idea of them, but they might not be necessary if the added expense is high enough it can't be justified.

P.S.  Thanks for the foam link, that looks like a decent place.
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009
i would be interested in 2 or 3 of these once you have everything finalized let me know
Sideplates are critical to me - since these PSU's don't have fans in them, I can't imagine why you wouldn't want the side plates, and I doubt they would effect shipping in a substantial way.  Plus then you're going to end up having to hack some sort of fan option anyway, so why not have a nice clean option from the get go.
Pages:
Jump to: