Pages:
Author

Topic: Gauging interest in a S5+ / 3xS7 specific power supply breakout board - page 5. (Read 9702 times)

Activity: 261
Merit: 250
So do you feel there is enough interest to do your first run, and if so, when do you think you'd do it?  I'm in need of some more power, so just trying to plan if I should hold out or pick something up now...

There is enough interest for a batch.
I'll order everything to make the first 150 boards.
Estimated shipping time for the first boards will be 5th-9th of october.

I'll confirm price with options in a few days once I have the reply for the side plates manufacturing.

I love the idea for the side plates, but I am not sure if the shipping costs will be worth it.  J4bberwock, if you could price the boards with and without the side plates that would be great.

This project is exactly what is needed for the S7, I am excited!!!

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
So do you feel there is enough interest to do your first run, and if so, when do you think you'd do it?  I'm in need of some more power, so just trying to plan if I should hold out or pick something up now...

There is enough interest for a batch.
I'll order everything to make the first 150 boards.
Estimated shipping time for the first boards will be 5th-9th of october.

I'll confirm price with options in a few days once I have the reply for the side plates manufacturing.
Activity: 687
Merit: 511
legendary
Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
this is clearly geared towards s7 so why add the 6pins connectors on the board?! just solder directly the wires.... also half crimping or whatever is called on the wires...
the monster will fit perfect between s7s on its side and ~5cm higher for good airflow

this is a good point - a version with a multiple terminals (possibly with their own secondary power switches) might be cheaper to build and the 1-ended wires (I sell these and also PCIe-PCIe in my sig *shamleess self promotion*) are about 10-15% cheaper

First trials with the parts I had in hands, I was able to get the PSU down to 11.78v (12.25v is my stock voltage).
More tests when I'll get a few parts delivered.

If you're getting some good undervolting, then up my quantity from 10 to 20.  Wink
First trials with the parts I had in hands, I was able to get the PSU down to 11.78v (12.25v is my stock voltage).
More tests when I'll get a few parts delivered.
see if this works in the sonotube or the vent pipe right above

I've bought a fair amount of acoustic foam and this is the best place I've found for buying it.  I literally just bought some to do some additional soundproofing.  Typically they're cheaper than the eBay sellers, and are consistent in quality (I believe they actually do the manufacturing on some if not all of the types):

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
this is clearly geared towards s7 so why add the 6pins connectors on the board?! just solder directly the wires.... also half crimping or whatever is called on the wires...
the monster will fit perfect between s7s on its side and ~5cm higher for good airflow
legendary
Activity: 1456
What is the price you will be having on PCI-E connectors?  Will you carry those?

Also will you be selling the PSU's and what price?

I'm just trying to gauge price to get whole package set up.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1009

I tested a similar idea with an S5+ 1/3.  I took a Block Erupter Cube Case (already has 120mm fan attachments) and added acoustic foam in three levels with V cuts on each level.  Looked like

|VVVV|
|VVVV|
|VVVV|
|       |

It was very effective at dampening the sound, and didnt effect temp more than 1C.  However, the foam is not designed to interact with that much heat.  The air becomes thick with offgassing from the foam ( its not worth potentially getting cancer IMO ).

J4bberwock I am interested in a breakout board.
I'm working on an undervolt solution, should have prototypes this month.

I'm completely out of stock on DPS2K boards, but can get PSUs reasonable if he doesn't have a lot of stock. Pretty smexy setup, J4bberwork. The fan plate is an especially good idea.
Thanks for the comments.
If the PSU allows it, having a -0.2 to -1.2v sent to the A1 or A2 pins (12v sense) should allow 10.5-12v regulation.

To explain to people who are curious to know how it works, some PSUs are "sensing" the voltage drop as close to the delivery point as possible.
Usually, it's a voltage drop because of the length (resistance) of tracks/wires, and the amount of current drawn.
The PSU adjusts the output voltage to compensate and sense +12v at the delivery point.

Some PSUs circuits are made in a way that only voltage drop are compensated, since in normal operation the voltage can't rise across the wires/tracks.
Some other will still respond to a voltage rise, and will drop the output voltage accordingly.

What we are doing is tricking the PSU so it believes that the voltage at the delivery point is lower than expected. The response for the PSU is to send higher voltage to compensate.
There is still an overvoltage protection, usually around 14.0v, and also and undervoltage protection.
Some PSUs will allow down to +9v output, some others will stop just below +12v.
legendary
Activity: 3346
Merit: 1858
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
I'm working on an undervolt solution, should have prototypes this month.

I'm completely out of stock on DPS2K boards, but can get PSUs reasonable if he doesn't have a lot of stock. Pretty smexy setup, J4bberwork. The fan plate is an especially good idea.
fhh
legendary
Activity: 1206
Want One for sure!
complete kit with cables fan holder and voltage regulation.
Maybe a second one

Edit
find a solution to lower voltage would be fantastic
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003
I've been working on something since april or may, it evolved with the S5+, and another time with the announcement of the S7.

Since pictures may speak better than words, here are some first shots of the prototype:

Tech specifications:

4 layers of copper, 2oz on each layer
4000w output with 2x DPS-2000 BB.
30x PCI-E connectors
On/off switch
Optional adjustable output voltage from 12v to 13.7v on the older DPS-2000 BB PSUs
Optional voltmeter if you want to adjust the output.

Sideplates with M3 threads (nutserts or similar) to attach both PSUs together and make the 120mm fans installation easier: 2 screws to remove from the PSUs, attach the plate, screw the fans, "et voila".

Expected price: $55.
Maximum size of first batch will be 150 boards.

I want order  4pcs

Optional adjustable output voltage from 12v to 13.7v on the older DPS-2000 BB PSUs

Would make a TON more sense to be able to adjust the voltage BELOW 12v, but I suspect that's a PS-based limitation?

What happens if one of the power supplies dies, will the entire thing gracefully shut down?  Is the DPS-2000BB platinum rated also?

I'd be in for at least 10...

The second PSU will trip in overcurrent protection if the load is too high for it, you'll have to reset the board (off/on).

same question as above!

does it work with other dpsxx00bb psu's?

do the load balance between them? or do you make some electronic modifications to the psu's
from what i know there is always a imbalance or something like that

The PSUs are load balanced, like when they are in the chassis of the server.
And it should work with the DPS1600BB and DPS2500BB, but I'm not sure about the voltage adjust on those ones.
I have a few 2500BB to check.
Activity: 287
Merit: 250
Global economic crisis? i hold my bitcoin..
nice 4k bracket board  Shocked
but hard to find dps-2000 in my country.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

Would make a TON more sense to be able to adjust the voltage BELOW 12v, but I suspect that's a PS-based limitation?
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
@Phil: why don't you try some ghetto ducting 2 or 3 12cm fans into 1?!?!?
my idea is move both fans that the s7 is coming with, on a duct at the front Grin
legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'

legendary
Activity: 4242
Merit: 8515
'The right to privacy matters'
yeah I have 2 s-7's on order.

I have 240 volt power.

I may want it.

boy if power went from 11 to 12.7   rather then 12 to 13.7 

as I suspect underclock may be better for some of us.

I am going to do various sound tests using. the items in the screen shots.  note the photos are lifted from ebay but I got some of it local for better prices.

the goal is 25db sound reduction

Pages:
Jump to: