Pages:
Author

Topic: Gavin Threatens to Quit Bitcoin Development and Join Hearn's Fork - page 9. (Read 9870 times)

Activity: 686
Merit: 255
And nobody actually read his post.

This is the biggest amount of FUD I have seen in a long time.
-snip-

Please point to the place where "Gavin Threatens to Quit Bitcoin Development and Join Hearn's Fork"

In an endless effort to promote a ShitCoin named GoldCoin, OP is doing all these. Check his post history. I blocked his 2 previous FUD right after his post. But, this time I missed it. Undecided
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
and the Media do their work very well.

By exaggerating news and spreading false information to gain some revenue and for their "news" to appeal more interesting. Gavin can do whatever he wants to do, however, any bad move will also affect bitcoin because we know that Gavin Andresen serves as the "face of bitcoin". The media exaggerates this bad news and as a result, affects bitcoin in a way how it affects Gavin. I agree to Gavin's point that there should be some changes in the code, but not to the point that if ever his demands aren't met and he'll choose another fork that is not yet thoroughly reviewed, I'll call it quits.
legendary
Activity: 1778
Merit: 1042
#Free market
Well done Gavin, this is why bitcoin is the best thing that I have never seen in the last 20 years in the 'internet world'... basically the decentralization as liberty to do whatever you want.

A sort of anarchy... and the Media do their work very well.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
As always this is what scientific experiment is for and what was always intended for competing currencies. I don't see why we necessarily have to do it with Bitcoin as it is incredibly stable right now, an altcoin would actually be the perfect sort of experiment for this kind of thing. I still think that months ago we should have tried deliberately executing a 51% attack on the Bitcoin network when CEX.IO made their announcement but now we'll never know whether or not a 51% attack is even possible.

Research, Experiment, Test, absolutely all options, even just as we are we already have achieved more than central banks and politicians together have tried for a century, we can do even more now if we just set up currencies to test these new ideas on, unlike them we are actually trying to find solutions to the problems in our current currencies.
Activity: 924
This shit is really hitting the fan and falling into pieces everywhere
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010

Please point to the place where "Gavin Threatens to Quit Bitcoin Development and Join Hearn's Fork"

I wanted to add that too, the title is pure fud. Gavin is just describing what actions he is gonna take on development.  
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.

The media exaggerated things as usually. However he did state that he will try to influence everyone to come on board of Mike's Bitcoin-Xt project.
That's pretty much the same as leaving Bitcoin Core development.

However Gavin also forgot to consider all possible outcomes; one being that the majority does not agree on bigger blocks (although I don't see this outcome being that likely).
Activity: 209
Merit: 250
Bitcoin is King and no other altcoin will get that huge amount of adoptionrate within the next 20 years.

The first CRYPTOCOIN with Biggest comunity and market

What do other people think?

If we can't come to an agreement soon, then I'll ask for help
reviewing/submitting patches to Mike's Bitcoin-Xt project that implement a
big increase now that grows over time so we may never have to go through
all this rancor and debate again.

I'll then ask for help lobbying the merchant services and exchanges and
hosted wallet companies and other bitcoind-using-infrastructure companies
(and anybody who agrees with me that we need bigger blocks sooner rather
than later) to run Bitcoin-Xt instead of Bitcoin Core, and state that they
are running it. We'll be able to see uptake on the network by monitoring
client versions.

Perhaps by the time that happens there will be consensus bigger blocks are
needed sooner rather than later; if so, great! The early deployment will
just serve as early testing, and all of the software already deployed will
ready for bigger blocks.

But if there is still no consensus among developers but the "bigger blocks
now" movement is successful, I'll ask for help getting big miners to do the
same, and use the soft-fork block version voting mechanism to (hopefully)
get a majority and then a super-majority willing to produce bigger blocks.
The purpose of that process is to prove to any doubters that they'd better
start supporting bigger blocks or they'll be left behind, and to give them
a chance to upgrade before that happens.

Because if we can't come to consensus here, the ultimate authority for
determining consensus is what code the majority of merchants and exchanges
and miners are running.

--
--
Gavin Andresen

we must appreciate with her do
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas

What do other people think?

If we can't come to an agreement soon, then I'll ask for help
reviewing/submitting patches to Mike's Bitcoin-Xt project that implement a
big increase now that grows over time so we may never have to go through
all this rancor and debate again.

I'll then ask for help lobbying the merchant services and exchanges and
hosted wallet companies and other bitcoind-using-infrastructure companies
(and anybody who agrees with me that we need bigger blocks sooner rather
than later) to run Bitcoin-Xt instead of Bitcoin Core, and state that they
are running it. We'll be able to see uptake on the network by monitoring
client versions.

Perhaps by the time that happens there will be consensus bigger blocks are
needed sooner rather than later; if so, great! The early deployment will
just serve as early testing, and all of the software already deployed will
ready for bigger blocks.

But if there is still no consensus among developers but the "bigger blocks
now" movement is successful, I'll ask for help getting big miners to do the
same, and use the soft-fork block version voting mechanism to (hopefully)
get a majority and then a super-majority willing to produce bigger blocks.
The purpose of that process is to prove to any doubters that they'd better
start supporting bigger blocks or they'll be left behind, and to give them
a chance to upgrade before that happens.

Because if we can't come to consensus here, the ultimate authority for
determining consensus is what code the majority of merchants and exchanges
and miners are running.

--
--
Gavin Andresen

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
Wow, so a developer has so much centralized influence that that him moving away is gonna decide an outcome?

Bitcoin can't get more centralized than this.
This is only minor centralization. Someone has to actually code things, it can't magically work and repair itself. The project is open source; anyone can contribute hence the decentralization.

It's obvious that many will understand this news the wrong way. Gavin is one of the main faces behind Bitcoin, and some highly respect him. He has influence. This move is what could start tearing Bitcoin apart from within. If the network splits even to 50-50, we can start looking towards the end of the line.

Such a move will only weaken Bitcoin's credibility in the eyes of the public.   Undecided
Exactly. No good will come from this.
legendary
Activity: 1960
Merit: 1010
Bitcoin is King and no other altcoin will get that huge amount of adoptionrate within the next 20 years.
Activity: 12
Merit: 0
Wow, so a developer has so much centralized influence that that him moving away is gonna decide an outcome?

Looks like Bitcoin's semi-decentralization is over. Onto the full centralization road people.
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
This is rather interesting. This news almost makes it seem that the confidence of the bitcoin currency is tied to a software developer when this digital currency is touted to be independent of any central authority.
legendary
Activity: 3542
Merit: 1352
Cashback 15%
I don't see any problem when others create their own fork of bitcoin, but given that the well-known developer of bitcoin is threatening to leave the github version to support another fork is alarming. Though we know that even if Gavin supported this fork and the network stays on mining the current fork, still there will be doubts among the general public seeing that one of the prominent figures in bitcoin leaves for another project. This would only drag bitcoin not only in price but also in adoption as well.

-snip-
the only thing that i am concerned with is if gavin brutalizes the github by revoking membership and preventing coders from continuing on with the current bitcoin code, forcing people to use hearns fork

This will cause a massive outrage from the community and the network that may result to a great loss. If ever Gavin did this thing, I think no one will ever trust bitcoin and its concept anymore. If he wants something to change in the code, he should consult the community and other developers as well, because first and foremost, he doesn't own anything in bitcoin's code; he's just another developer too of this great code, but only more widely-known by the community and the world, but still the fact remains that he's a developer and not the owner of bitcoin.

EDIT: Fixed some grammatical errors and spelling.
Activity: 952
Merit: 513
After this, I don't think the community should support Gavin on anything.
Nobody has the right to threaten Bitcoin or it's community and that includes Gavin.

legendary
Activity: 1232
It is a bad thing that one person currently has so much influence on the bitcoin perception
 him leaving should not cause more than a small dip on the news, otherwise it has become to centralized around him.

The question is why is he leaving?
Opinions are divided on the blocksize limit. So it is not just one person who is branching out.
legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458
it doesnt matter what fork gavin wants to manage.. all that counts is what fork mining pools work on..

if all the pools stick with the current github version. then the hearn fork will just be a its own little crappy fork that will end up being an altcoin. the issue will then be that no one will want to trade real bitcoins for altbitcoins(hearns fork) as they wont be worth as much.

the only thing that i am concerned with is if gavin brutalizes the github by revoking membership and preventing coders from continuing on with the current bitcoin code, forcing people to use hearns fork

I dont think he will be forcing people.this could be a move from him so that people realize that he is importat for bitcoin community and then people will accept his fork proposal. Hearn fork is just another stupid altcoin fork, it serve bitcoin not better than any altcoin, much more like a copy of altcoin

i think its worth people looking at what other hidden lines of code hearn wants to impliment. as i dont think the hearn vs github is just about 20mb..
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1011
In Satoshi I Trust
it doesnt matter what fork gavin wants to manage.. all that counts is what fork mining pools work on..

if all the pools stick with the current github version. then the hearn fork will just be a its own little crappy fork that will end up being an altcoin. the issue will then be that no one will want to trade real bitcoins for altbitcoins(hearns fork) as they wont be worth as much.

I dont think he will be forcing people.this could be a move from him so that people realize that he is importat for bitcoin community and then people will accept his fork proposal. Hearn fork is just another stupid altcoin fork, it serve bitcoin not better than any altcoin, much more like a copy of altcoin

why dont we stay with bitcoin core and just raise the fucking blocksize limit?  Angry

like he wrote: "big increase now that grows over time so we may never have to go through all this rancor and debate again."

or isnt that possible with bitcoin core?
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1016

legendary
Activity: 4214
Merit: 4458

Pages:
Jump to: