Pages:
Author

Topic: Gavin will visit the Council on Foreign Relations - page 9. (Read 54969 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
Quote from: CFR
Cryptocurrencies are likely here to stay, although they might look very different two decades from now.
And

Eager to maintain their current position, the large players may agree to self-regulate rather than decide to take a stand and risk a more heavy-handed response from the authorities. Such self-regulation could involve modifying the Bitcoin protocol to reduce anonymity.

This is what Gavin will be discussing. The question is what can the TPTB bring to the table for this type of cooperation, remember legislation can be "heavy-handed".  

I think offering this is more than enough, they can choose to participate at will. Starts 20 seconds in.

In fact Sarah Meiklejohn should be on the panel for security and law enforcement. Listening to her one understands Bitcoin is a godsend for law enforcement. The only regulation necessary is large players putting names KYC to public keys at the point of sale.

Have fun Gavin.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
One Week Server Time Till Gavin will visit the Council on Foreign Relations  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393
You lead and I'll watch you walk away.
question is: how did law enforcement get those private communications? was that legal? the complaint is basically an email dump.

I'm sure they got them from the Silk Road seized computers. They had a warrant so the info was legally obtained. I think a lot of the former SR users have a little anal probing in their future.

If the Feds can triangulate between SR and BitInstant...  Ouch!

Probably the garden variety junkies, tweakers, etc have nothing to worry about, but I'll wager that a lot folks higher up on the food chain utilized Shrem's services since in the earlier days (at least) he was one of the only games in town.

I personally think that the whole 'war on drugs' is a sham and a scam, but it is the case that the larger operators were not doing their thing out of the goodness of their hearts.  They were in it for the money, and the money was there because of the stupid drug laws.  If they end up paying the price, that is how the dice landed...and they voluntarily picked up the dice to have a role in the first place.  I'm not shedding a lot of tears for them personally.

The American drug war will go down in history as the greatest wastes of national wealth of any country that ever existed. You could say that Christians jailed Charlie in their war against anything they don't agree with today. Moralizing by the American government is a ridiculous farce considering how many women and children have been killed and raped in "police actions" and wars by the American military.

That said, I still believe if someone knowingly commits a crime they have no one to blame but themselves. If they don't get caught that's great but if they do I can't feel sorry for them. Charlie could have started his company in a country that's not controlled by a bunch of Christian nut jobs. The moralizing will continue as the American Gestapo will use the seized computers to go on a crusade against SR heretics across the country.
legendary
Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276
question is: how did law enforcement get those private communications? was that legal? the complaint is basically an email dump.

I'm sure they got them from the Silk Road seized computers. They had a warrant so the info was legally obtained. I think a lot of the former SR users have a little anal probing in their future.

If the Feds can triangulate between SR and BitInstant...  Ouch!

Probably the garden variety junkies, tweakers, etc have nothing to worry about, but I'll wager that a lot folks higher up on the food chain utilized Shrem's services since in the earlier days (at least) he was one of the only games in town.

I personally think that the whole 'war on drugs' is a sham and a scam, but it is the case that the larger operators were not doing their thing out of the goodness of their hearts.  They were in it for the money, and the money was there because of the stupid drug laws.  If they end up paying the price, that is how the dice landed...and they voluntarily picked up the dice to have a role in the first place.  I'm not shedding a lot of tears for them personally.

legendary

legendary
well, that's an interesting development. CFR invites Gavin and by pure chance, a foundation members gets arrested 1 week earlier. now we've learned something about conspiracies.

What? Who got arrested?

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-ceo-of-major-bitcoin-exchange-arrested-2014-1

Thanks for the link. That made me laugh so hard. I love the fact that the Winklevoss douches are caught up in this. haha
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
legendary
Now that meeting is going to be so much more interesting. I'm not quite sure what Shrem is accused of, but they seem to have used internal communications (congrats NSA).

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/about/board

Charlie Shrem
Vice Chairman

Currently serving as CEO and co-founder of BitInstant, one of the largest, earliest and well known alternative payment companies, Charlie used his position in both the old banking world and new alternative currency world to help pave the way for the Bitcoin economy to emerge in early 2011. Known in the Bitcoin and old hacker communities as 'Yankee', he is also founding member and current Vice Chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation. Along with Gareth Nelson, he found the need for a more secure, fast and convenient way of transferring funds between and within payment networks around the world and leads BitInstant through the complex compliance, licensing and regulations of the worldwide banking system

Wow, I didn't know that. I guess it's true that the US government is coming after Bitcoin. Their just going to come through the back door. You can't keep going to Washington and poking the beast without eventually getting attacked.
Activity: 152
Merit: 100
well, that's an interesting development. CFR invites Gavin and by pure chance, a foundation members gets arrested 1 week earlier. now we've learned something about conspiracies.

What? Who got arrested?

http://www.businessinsider.com/report-ceo-of-major-bitcoin-exchange-arrested-2014-1
Now that meeting is going to be so much more interesting. I'm not quite sure what Shrem is accused of, but they seem to have used internal communications (congrats NSA).

https://bitcoinfoundation.org/about/board

Charlie Shrem
Vice Chairman

Currently serving as CEO and co-founder of BitInstant, one of the largest, earliest and well known alternative payment companies, Charlie used his position in both the old banking world and new alternative currency world to help pave the way for the Bitcoin economy to emerge in early 2011. Known in the Bitcoin and old hacker communities as 'Yankee', he is also founding member and current Vice Chairman of the Bitcoin Foundation. Along with Gareth Nelson, he found the need for a more secure, fast and convenient way of transferring funds between and within payment networks around the world and leads BitInstant through the complex compliance, licensing and regulations of the worldwide banking system
legendary

What? Who got arrested?
legendary
the CFR are scumbags, we should settle on a code so you can clue us into what happened, eg. at the next conference bend over and rub your butt if you've been blackmailed to sabotage bitcoin.

actually I don't think they'll want to kill it, going by all their talk about the NWO in their own publications the corporate members probably love bitcoin, if they weren't behind it to begin with - at the very least they'll find it useful in their drug running and other criminal activity.

wait.. what's this about the Bitcoin Foundation collaborating with the Gates foundation and Brookings Institute?

they wouldn't give a shit about child exploitation, along with the list below Gates is also invested in Nestle who obtain cocoa through child slavery.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQvEX2Xait4

There is a very simple way to deal with this: Just use GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft Windows.

This quote was deleted I guess because the comment didn't save. Just another part of the problems happening with the forum lately I guess. Anyway, what does this have to do with Gavin going to CFR? All companies have weird connections. 
legendary
Activity: 1115
Merit: 1016
ASMR El Salvador
I am not getting paid by the CFR.

Do they pay you any expenses (like travel and accomodation) ?
legendary
Activity: 3920
Merit: 2349
Eadem mutata resurgo
In my honest opinion, he should accept and use that opportunity to invite them to join the open community of Bitcoin. Unconditional help is always needed.

Yes, if they are that interested, there is always work on the wikis and attending bitcoin meetups to be done ...
Activity: 238
In my honest opinion, he should accept and use that opportunity to invite them to join the open community of Bitcoin. Unconditional help is always needed.
Activity: 469
Merit: 253
Quote from: Coin_Master link=topic=412846.msg4724292#msg4724292
A much better example from Whitehouse chief economic advisor:
http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/24/austan_goolsbee-on-bitcoins-usefulness-hahahaha-rotfl/

Activity: 148
Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan Chase and the Council on Foreign Relations stated,

Quote from: Jamie Dimon
"They [Bitcoins] will eventually be made as a payment system to follow the same standards as the other payment systems and that will be probably be the end of them," he said.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jp-morgans-jamie-dimon-on-bitcoin-2014-1
This article you linked to is titled "Jamie Dimon Goes On The Attack On Bitcoin".
First they ignore you - Check! (6 years of silence)
Then they laugh at you - Check! (http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2013/11/bitcoin-is-the-segway-of-currency/281625/)
Then they attack you - Check!
Let's list some examples:
"Fed Banker Tries Criticizing Bitcoin"
http://bitcoinmagazine.com/9549/fed-banker-tries-criticizing-bitcoin-ends-perfectly-describing-fed/
Here Francois Velde of the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago criticizes Bitcoin.

"The SEC Shows Why Bitcoin Is Doomed"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-08/did-the-sec-just-validate-bitcoin-no-.html
Here Bloomberg takes the SEC's warning and twists it for their own political propaganda.

"Greenspan Says Bitcoin a Bubble Without Intrinsic Currency Value"
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-12-04/greenspan-says-bitcoin-a-bubble-without-intrinsic-currency-value.html
Here Alan Greenspan (former chairman of the Fed for 19 years) says "I do not understand where the backing of Bitcoin is coming from".
He does not understand?  No surprises really!

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/alan-greenspan-bitcoin-comment-reaction-2013-12
When asked by Trish Regan from Bloomberg "Is Bitcoin a bubble?" he responded "I guess so".
YOU GUESS SO??  Is that how you conduct business, by guessing?  It is no wonder the world was subjected to the 2008 Global Financial Crisis and World Economic Meltdown.  I guess you guessed wrong?  Sounds to me like you have no idea what you are talking about.  Perhaps you should not be offering advice Alan.

Well it is time to draw a line in the sand my friends.  The Old Guard is being challenged, and they don't like it.
Let me tell you something Mr Alan Greenspan, you better get used to it.
Activity: 686
Merit: 251
I'm investigating Crypto Projects
I'm usually pretty careful not to call people names.  Did I screw up?

I DO think there are lots of crazy conspiracy theories. I might even believe some of them myself, but that doesn't make me crazy (just "almost certainly wrong.").

RE: child exploitation:  Good example.  We all agree that child exploitation is BAD, right?

We might disagree about what (if anything) we should DO about it, but isn't it worth discussing whether or not there is something we MIGHT do about it?  For example, maybe offering mostly-anonymous bounties to reward anybody who gives information that leads to the arrest and conviction of people abusing children for profit or pleasure is a good idea.  Maybe those bounties could be paid in Bitcoin.

Maybe that is a terrible idea that will have awful consequences, but instead of rational discussion there's a knee-jerk GOVERNMENT BAD! that, in my humble opinion, is counter-productive to making the world a better place.

I don't like people assuming that they know what I'm thinking, or assume that because I'm willing to talk to people that I agree with those people, or assume that because I'm pragmatic about regulation I "want regulation."  For the record:  I'm mostly libertarian, I think we'd be just fine if we replaced 99.911% of regulations with voluntary, private, market-based solutions. But that ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Gavin short comment about government bad, if republic where regulation to regulate government then not bad, if the other way around then bad. I use to think people need to be regulated will I met a congressmen from Texas who explained how it should be. Trust me when I say something is wrong. Just be nice and buy us time most of the evil is financed by central banks I met Ben Still he understands that but he hasn't figured out the solution yet this community is closest to the solution if we don't get crushed somehow so stall be nice but know who you are dealing with the those who fear the people or those who the people fear (tyranny or liberty).

In any case I can't wait to read (or watch,listen) to the report. Good luck!
Activity: 115
Merit: 11
There is a very simple way to deal with this: Just use GNU/Linux instead of Microsoft Windows.

This kind of escapism serves you well when you don't have to interact with the whole Microsoft ecosystem and its dumb users at all, not many people can afford that.
Pages:
Jump to: