Pages:
Author

Topic: [GLBSE] Introducing: Bitcoin Syndicate, a new mining op trading publicly! - page 8. (Read 23317 times)

donator
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1001
Could you please give some pic? So happy to hear this.
Activity: 462
Merit: 250
there was a 5.1 btc mining reward that came in few days ago. was it already FPGA mined from the early days of 50:50?
I noticed that because usually the reward from p2pool blocks is .60-.80 and this looked like a regular pool payout

and congrats! I'll celebrate tonight : )

edit: I almost forgot to ask, how does the cabling look like finally? can be posted in the other forum. I just ask here while I'm logged in
Activity: 407
lol, ok that was a long drawn out battle... But the FPGA Rig is officially working at 6GHash/s...

Right now it's mining against GPUMax to get a bit of a bonus payout. Using Slush as a fallback.

We still have issues with P2Pool, and I want to give it several days to mine against a "normal" pool first, to ensure the hardware is in fact stable...

Once we have the stability confirmed, we'll look into moving the FPGAs over to P2Pool. But it may mean we have to wait for a software or bitstream update if P2Pool continues to be a problem with the FPGA rig.

Here's a pic of the mining rate at GPUMax to show the current hashrate:

Administrative overhead primarily. It all amounts to the same regardless, paying out monthly and doing spending/purchases monthly and so on is less admin overhead.
Also it goes along with the spirit of the investment (it's a longterm game, not a short term one). If you're investing in BTCSYN for the short term, you're doing it as part of day trading essentially, in which case you're trying to ride shifts in the stock values. The dividends are going to be small compared to the percentage return you expect from trading the stock. So anyone investing "long term" shouldn't mind if it takes 4 weeks to get their dividends instead of 1 week. (at least that was my reasoning when deciding to do it that way). If the shareholders convince me that the majority would prefer weekly, I'll raise a motion for it.

Make sense? Smiley
donator
why not a weekly dividend?      Smiley
Glad to have you aboard!

Things have been moving a bit slow last couple days, and we've had some technical difficulties. But you should be seeing some major jumps forward in the VERY near future Wink (as we get our FPGA rig online, and some of our technical issues get resolved).

Make sure to get registered on our private forum at forum.btcsyn.com and send me a PM with your share purchase transaction ID so I can grant you shareholder rights.
Activity: 267
I just wanted to drop a note and say this is the first investment I have made on GLBSE and am very excited to see where it goes, keep up the good work.
(with the exception of approximately 1.5Ghash of mining power from John, who should be coming online this week, due to the renovations of his house, you can see details on this in our forums at forum.btcsyn.com)

the referenced thread is here: http://forum.btcsyn.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40

Smiley any pics from the cabling progress?
As stated in the previous post. I'm working on getting our FPGA rig up now.

Unfortunately I injured my back (just a pulled muscle) yesterday so was only able to get a minimal amount of work done. I expect to be finishing it up tonight.

Once it's done it will bring 6+ GHash online. The remaining hashing power is online now (with the exception of approximately 1.5Ghash of mining power from John, who should be coming online this week, due to the renovations of his house, you can see details on this in our forums at forum.btcsyn.com)

Thanks!
donator
where is the promised 12G/s hashing power? will it be there in 12 hours?
Here are some more pics for you. The build is taking a little longer than I wanted, I hope to finish and have it fully operational tomorrow.

Ran into a few issues, one of which was the power supply failing. Had to go pick up a different PSU (went with a slighly more expensive model to give us some room to grow)
Also the Testing was becoming problematic with multiple miners on Windows. Apparently this is an issue with the driver, and Linux is expected to resolve the issue, so I moved onto the build and will finish testing on the actual host machine. May have also been related to the psu failing (was giving voltage dropouts on the 12V rail under load)

Anyway, things are rolling along now, so...

Here are some pics of the build along the way (a little more eye candy for you to look at):

A block of 4 being tested together:

My RepRap producing a prototype of the brackets to hold the cards:

The RepRap producing 4 brackets at once:

Getting ready to dry fit the parts in the wooden rackmount box:

Fans mounted, and cards on brackets (still dry fitting):

Close up of the rig so far:

Still left to do:
- Solder 2 more power leads (bundles of several power leads for several cards, back to either a molex, or a PCIE connector to distribute load on the ATX supply properly)
- Adjust the standoffs on the blocks (in this config with the dry fit there isn't enough room for 8 wide without causing airflow problems, if I reverse the standoffs there will be)
- Screw everything down
- Run all the wires and clean it all up
- Install the host OS (Linux) on the computer
- Mount it all up in the rack, and get mining!

I hope/expect to get done tomorrow. Worse case Tuesday if something holds me up tomorrow.
I've been involved in 3D Printing for some time. And I have access to a couple commercial grade printers (unfortunately the one in my lab at work is out of commission for repairs right now, and the other is a bit of a pain to get to for large print jobs), I also have a RepRap and an Ultimaker at home. The RepRap will be more than enough for this job though. It doesn't need super precision, just simple mounting "slots" for the cards to be vertical in the case. And some mounting brackets for 120mm fans to blow air past all the vertically mounted cards.

I'll show pics once I get them printed to explain better what I mean.

It's not the finished product. The plan is to have a custom rackmount case fabricated from steel. But that will come later. Right now I'll be using a wooden mock-up case which will be mounted in my rack taking up approximately 3U of space, and having room for (I believe) 36x Icarus boards. Then once we get a few more (24+) I'll get the custom case made so we can get it all prepped to move it to a professional datacenter at that point.

All that's way down the road though. For now it should be fairly impressive looking lol. And I'll definitely post pics of the build, as well as the finished rig.
good luck in your work and thanks for the update

... 3D Print the mounting brackets

I'm looking forward to the pictures of the finished syndicate tower
(I saw the pics of the testing rig after assembly before shipping, hope this rig will be proportionally impressive)
and also the 3D parts you'll print
I saw some prints and this technology fascinates me
roommate had access to commercial printers at the school where he led the 3D modelling lab
and the local hackerspace has rep-rap printers.
the quality and approach to printing are very different but they seem both to do the job.
No of course not. I'll be testing them in a controlled fashion, then this weekend firing up the cluster if I can get it assembled by then.

I have done most of the shopping, still need to pick up some more hardware for the cases, 3D Print the mounting brackets, and pick up some more USB hubs. I have the cooling fans, power supply, and hardware needed to mount that, and rig up the power adapters from ATX to the Icarus DC inputs.

I'll post pics once I get into building the cluster.
(...try them that is) lol

well, I did not want to suggest to plug them all in ... some testing and precaution was kinda expected (like don't fry them all at once if something goes horribly wrong ; )) aaand I was a bit suspicious if you did your part of the shopping (power adapters, usb hub) but was too shy to ask and just suggested if you'd try one of them. seeing it plugged in and up & running would solve all my doubts ; )
I do it by hand Smiley

(and I intend to!)

(...try them that is) lol
you have a script for cross posting or you do that by hand?

but more important hooray! 4 the cards
... and let's try them : )
Our Icarus FPGA Miners have arrived!

SUPER fast shipping from EMS to Canada. I was shocked actually.

The order, which was shipped on the 11th was delivered this morning!

First I'd like to say, FANTASTIC packaging job ngzhang! Very professionally and well packaged. Nicely done.

The package included each board wrapped in an oversized static bag, and sealed, and then 2 of those packages packed in a small box. Several of these boxes were then packed into a larger shipping box lined with bubble wrap.

In addition in one of the boxes there was 1 Icarus (since we had an odd number) along with the Xilinx platform cable and dev kit from ngzhang. (and I had suspected at first a "third party" platform cable, but in fact it's the original xilinx package).

In addition the box contained a healthy pile of power connectors/leads (I ordered these without the power bricks to cut down on shipping weight, and plan on powering the cluster from an ATX supply). And a big bundle of USB cables as well. Also several bags of assorted size brass standoffs was included as well.

I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed!

Unboxing photos attached below (sorry for the bad pics, they were taken on my cell)
I'll post more pics of the finished cluster once I have it up and running Smiley

I will be doing testing of the cards for the next day or two to confirm all is well. Then I'll begin building the cluster proper this weekend.

I expect to have it mining by the beginning of next week!

Thanks for the heads up Nefario!
Activity: 602
Merit: 512
GLBSE Support [email protected]
I'm just after getting back from London(gone since Tuesday),  charts.glbse.com is not showing any updates since the 12th.

For the moment, all the latest trades for GLBSE can be found on it's twitter feed here.

I'm contacting the operator of charts to find out what the story is.

Nefario
Pages:
Jump to: