Pages:
Author

Topic: [GLBSE] [Stochastically.com] - Dividend Returns - updated 12 times a day. - page 7. (Read 20535 times)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100
...  I will be adding a monthly dividend payout at the end of this month.  I am looking forward to the API.  If it does not come out soon I may write something that will just take the twitter feed and do this automatically for me.  I have never looked at the Twitter feed before, and doing it now I don't see any notification of dividends.  I only see trades, but I will keep an eye on it.

You'd be better off with beautifulsoup or similar to screenscrape until the api comes out, which was supposed to have been by now. Dividends are not recorded in the twitter feed - might be worth getting nefario to add.

There is also an IRC feed on #bitcoin-assets-trades which lists in the format,  

[22:24:07] <+`MBot> [ GLBSE ] [ TRADE ] [ FPGA-EU ] [ 2 @ 0.36 = 0.720000 BTC ]
[22:24:45] <+`MBot> [ GLBSE ] [ TRADE ] [ PUREMINING ] [ 2 @ 0.37 = 0.740000 BTC ]

#bitcoin-assets also has chat in it about glbse and mpex, along with the ability to get volume information with the command !ticker .

marked
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

Nice work stochastic. I hope this could calm down some pricing craziness of certain assets in the GLBSE in the long run.

One suggestion though: is it more appropriate to calculate the dividend returns with (dividend of last week)/(average price of last week)? It could prevent someone from manipulating the result by putting a fake ask wall, say, 1-2 hours before you post each week's report.

I don't think my weekly reports has that much of an impact on prices.  There has only been 1307 views in 3 weeks, or maybe that is a lot but I don't know.  I really just report them because I do it myself anyway and I wanted to see what the market wants for weekly returns.

I wanted the weekly dividend report to give an estimated return in dividends for the next week based on what they could get at that moment.  I could add the previous weeks low, high, and weighted mean.  I really don't believe in fake bid/ask walls are well manipulation tools unless they are naked.  If someone puts up an ask with the purpose of manipulating the dividend rate (which would essentially increase the dividend percentage on my tables), then it is entirely possible that someone can purchase those contracts and get the assets at that price with the estimated dividend rate.

I hope that people don't just look at the dividend return percentage and make a bid.  That would be crazy.  For one, future dividends are not dependent on past dividends.  The next week's dividends can be due to mining difficulty, competency of the asset manager, earnings changes, or equipment failure.  Also, the price may change.  What someone could do with this table is to take the weekly total dividend that I report and find the estimated dividend return on the ask price at the time they are thinking of buying.

Over time we can also see what is the rate of change in the dividend amounts over the weeks.  Which assets are declining and which are rising.  With the mining stocks we can look at the change in dividend rate and the difficulty level.

In the future I hope with the API that this kind of information can be reported in real time like it is done with other financial assets.

Wow I didn't expect such a long and detailed reply. Smiley

I could add the previous weeks low, high, and weighted mean.

That would be great. Thanks for your answer.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500

Nice work stochastic. I hope this could calm down some pricing craziness of certain assets in the GLBSE in the long run.

One suggestion though: is it more appropriate to calculate the dividend returns with (dividend of last week)/(average price of last week)? It could prevent someone from manipulating the result by putting a fake ask wall, say, 1-2 hours before you post each week's report.

I don't think my weekly reports has that much of an impact on prices.  There has only been 1307 views in 3 weeks, or maybe that is a lot but I don't know.  I really just report them because I do it myself anyway and I wanted to see what the market wants for weekly returns.

I wanted the weekly dividend report to give an estimated return in dividends for the next week based on what they could get at that moment.  I could add the previous weeks low, high, and weighted mean.  I really don't believe in fake bid/ask walls are well manipulation tools unless they are naked.  If someone puts up an ask with the purpose of manipulating the dividend rate (which would essentially increase the dividend percentage on my tables), then it is entirely possible that someone can purchase those contracts and get the assets at that price with the estimated dividend rate.

I hope that people don't just look at the dividend return percentage and make a bid.  That would be crazy.  For one, future dividends are not dependent on past dividends.  The next week's dividends can be due to mining difficulty, competency of the asset manager, earnings changes, or equipment failure.  Also, the price may change.  What someone could do with this table is to take the weekly total dividend that I report and find the estimated dividend return on the ask price at the time they are thinking of buying.

Over time we can also see what is the rate of change in the dividend amounts over the weeks.  Which assets are declining and which are rising.  With the mining stocks we can look at the change in dividend rate and the difficulty level.

In the future I hope with the API that this kind of information can be reported in real time like it is done with other financial assets.
donator
Activity: 848
Merit: 1005

Does anyone know any information about the assets MATH or FPGA-EU?  I have searched the forums but have not found any information regarding them.

did that include the glbse forums at https://glbse.com/forum/index.php

I'm currently locked out until I get a password reset, but I also did a hunt around for these earlier this week and couldn't find anything.

marked

Yes I did, but in their search nothing comes up for these.  I added FPGA-EU because it seems to have weekly dividends.  MATH payed out a dividend but I am not sure if it is weekly.  I will be adding a monthly dividend payout at the end of this month.  I am looking forward to the API.  If it does not come out soon I may write something that will just take the twitter feed and do this automatically for me.  I have never looked at the Twitter feed before, and doing it now I don't see any notification of dividends.  I only see trades, but I will keep an eye on it.
Activity: 168
Merit: 100
Does anyone know any information about the assets MATH or FPGA-EU?  I have searched the forums but have not found any information regarding them.

did that include the glbse forums at https://glbse.com/forum/index.php

I'm currently locked out until I get a password reset, but I also did a hunt around for these earlier this week and couldn't find anything.

marked
vip
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
AKA: gigavps
Assets was not the best word I could have used. I meant ownership in hardware.

When someone buys my stock they get part ownership of real hardware and the cash from that hardware if we ever sell it. So not only do they get dividends but they get real goods as well.

I know you have real hardware but the people who buy your bonds to not get part ownership of it.

I sold stock in a mining company and you sold bonds. Both are fine, just hard to have side by side.

Thanks.

Thank you for clarifying your thoughts.
vip
Yes, we pay for electricity first. We are a mining company not a bond. We have real assets as well Smiley   Hard to really compare these side by side.

I would agree with Goat that his investment compared to mine might be hard to compare or would at least require a more in depth comparison.

Goat, I am not sure what you mean with the statement "We have real assets".
legendary
Activity: 2618
Merit: 1006
TyGrr reinvests 50% of its dividends back into new hardware adding value to the company. Can this be reflected in its dividend payments?

Thanks.

So your payout is effective 45% pps (including 5% fee, excluding elect. costs)?

47.5% goes into dividends. 47.5% goes into the bank for new hardware. 5% goes to me.
What about electricity? This means you pay even less than 47.5% PPS as dividend, right?
Activity: 714
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
TyGrr reinvests 50% of its dividends back into new hardware adding value to the company. Can this be reflected in its dividend payments?

Thanks.

47.5% goes into dividends. 47.5% goes into the bank for new hardware. 5% goes to me.

Thanks, I will reflect that in the other thread.
Activity: 714
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

Thanks.

Sorry, but I'm having hard time following what are you paying. You claimed 100%pps at the begining in the other thread, yet your contracts states 5% fee + electricity costs. I didn't see any mention of expansion.

Congratulations on creating a mess.

Thanks.

No, that is why I added the disclaimer for people to search the forums for specific retained earnings.  I was thinking of putting a Mhash/current price column and/or a total weekly gross/net earnings column but unlike the dividend payment any financial reporting is really just taken on faith and trust.

I think GLBSE should have some standard reporting ability so that evaluation and comparison of securities is easier, but the number of securities that are issued is still low and I don't see why people can't take the time to read all information regarding these securities.
vip
The apples to apples comparison is how much money is given back to asset holders.

Hm, I guess in the end that's a perfectly valid way to look at it too. Cash-flow only investment as it were.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/perpetualbond.asp
Activity: 756
Merit: 522
The apples to apples comparison is how much money is given back to asset holders.

Hm, I guess in the end that's a perfectly valid way to look at it too. Cash-flow only investment as it were.
Can a mod move this to the new Securities subforum?

Why?

From the description:
Topics about exchange sites which deal in securities should go in the top-level Marketplace section.

The OP is not about GLBSE, it is about dividends of securities on GLBSE.  It follows
This section is for topics about individual Bitcoin bonds, stocks, etc
legendary

Why?

From the description:
Topics about exchange sites which deal in securities should go in the top-level Marketplace section.
The problem could be that to some degree we're comparing apples with oranges, a company retaining 90% of earnings and paying 1 BTC in dividends would appear significantly worse from an ROI perspective than another retaining but 10% of earnings and paying 2 BTC in dividends. However, on a fair-basis comparison the first made 10 BTC and the second ~2.22.
Still the first returned 1 BTC and the other 2 BTC - this IS significatly worse from a ROI perspective! It's called "ROI" after all, not "company growth factor". If people want to invest in companies that make great profits but keep them, that's possible too. This chart is called "GLBSE Dividend Returns" though, so a (potentially made up) earnings figure that cannot be checked anywhere and that won't be returned toshare holders is something that is not useful in this context imho.

It is pretty simple to search the forums to see the what percentage the company is holding and how much is being paid to shareholders.  That is why I put that disclaimer there so that people would know this.  I don't recommend anyone to just look at this chart and purchase or sell assets based on the information.  This table is a good starting point to investigate and see why there are differences between the assets.  I have read through each listing enough I have most of them memorized.  Also they can change if there is a motion and I don't want to miss a motion and have false information.

As for companies that retain earnings for future, that takes a lot of trust in a company to allow them to hold a percentage of the earnings.  There are some companies that don't really report their earnings or expenses publicly.  There are some that report everything.  Also some of the assets are bonds and some are shares.

The apples to apples comparison is how much money is given back to asset holders.  Unless the company has some way to increase asset holder value, only then should they retain earnings.  I would suggest that most of the price appreciation of assets on GLBSE is due to a continuous dividend payout to asset holders and not some intrinsic value of the assets.  Until there is better financial disclosure and accounting from these companies I would say 100% dividend returns is the way to go.
legendary
The problem could be that to some degree we're comparing apples with oranges, a company retaining 90% of earnings and paying 1 BTC in dividends would appear significantly worse from an ROI perspective than another retaining but 10% of earnings and paying 2 BTC in dividends. However, on a fair-basis comparison the first made 10 BTC and the second ~2.22.
Still the first returned 1 BTC and the other 2 BTC - this IS significatly worse from a ROI perspective! It's called "ROI" after all, not "company growth factor". If people want to invest in companies that make great profits but keep them, that's possible too. This chart is called "GLBSE Dividend Returns" though, so a (potentially made up) earnings figure that cannot be checked anywhere and that won't be returned toshare holders is something that is not useful in this context imho.
Pages:
Jump to: