Pages:
Author

Topic: Global Financial Crisis scenarios - page 2. (Read 15898 times)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
November 02, 2014, 12:53:40 AM
A full blown Ebola epidemic in the US or Europe would send the price of bitcoin skyrocketing. Not that i am rooting for it in any way shape or form but its a very interesting situation that i am keeping my eye on.

I don't see an Ebola epidemic happening, especially in the US.
Ebola isn't that contagious. Smiley
Ebola can only be transmitted in a small number of ways (only via bodily fluids) however it is very well possible to transmit it when you do not know for sure that you have it, or that you have been exposed to it.

EDIT: It is likely that even a small ebola scare will cause economic devastation throughout the country as people will be afraid to even go outside. I am sure that TX is not doing well economically
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018
October 28, 2014, 01:07:54 PM
A full blown Ebola epidemic in the US or Europe would send the price of bitcoin skyrocketing. Not that i am rooting for it in any way shape or form but its a very interesting situation that i am keeping my eye on.

It is exactly why it doesn't seem too worrying at the moment : Contagious patients seem to give Ebola only to a handful of people in a week because it is not contagious by touch or saliva

It could spread in France and other big crisis are around the corner with ISIS, terrorism, Ukrain and unpredictable events; the USD will soon crash when Yellen will inflate it to death to save the treasury and pensions
Activity: 675
Merit: 500
October 28, 2014, 11:58:59 AM

Activity: 154
Merit: 100
October 27, 2014, 04:18:45 PM
It's disappointing to read that what we need to learn in economics is the interaction of finance and economics. I feel like any history professor can give us those answers. We knew those answers 50 years ago when their affects were regulated somehow.Now economics needs to understand the impact of income inequality. That is what makes a financial crisis into a great depression or a great recession.
Activity: 448
October 18, 2014, 12:57:09 PM
War can actually result in bitcoin supply coming down as well, with a lot of private keys getting lost...

Agreed. Who would think about their coins if their families are being slaughtered.

And their wallets gets rocketed. I wonder how many wallets wil gets lost because of people dieing from Ebola.

LOL.. Is that Ebola thing really serious? What do you think? Will this ebola thing will end the world? Come on..
It will probably not end the world however if it is not controlled then it could have a serious impact on the world. There have been several scares throughout the US and Europe when someone has gotten sick in a public place.

To date it does not appear that economic activity has been stifled as a result of people being scared to catch Ebola, however it is a real possibility that people will start to stay at home if they are afraid they will get sick
October 17, 2014, 11:25:45 PM
War can actually result in bitcoin supply coming down as well, with a lot of private keys getting lost...

Agreed. Who would think about their coins if their families are being slaughtered.

And their wallets gets rocketed. I wonder how many wallets wil gets lost because of people dieing from Ebola.

LOL.. Is that Ebola thing really serious? What do you think? Will this ebola thing will end the world? Come on..

Ebola is a slow killer. If you have sufficient number of bitcoins, you can always transfer it out.
If you die because a safe falls on you, then your bitcoins may be lost for ever. Cheesy

But would you think of Bitcoins while you are dieing?  Will they let you go to have access to computer once they will see you have Ebola? 
I am sure some will transfer their coins, but many will not.

Yes, people do think of their loved ones when they are dieing. They would like to transfer their property to their loved ones. It is a natural tendency.  Smiley
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
October 17, 2014, 05:01:32 PM

Ebola is a slow killer. If you have sufficient number of bitcoins, you can always transfer it out.
If you die because a safe falls on you, then your bitcoins may be lost for ever. Cheesy

But would you think of Bitcoins while you are dieing?  Will they let you go to have access to computer once they will see you have Ebola? 
I am sure some will transfer their coins, but many will not.
October 17, 2014, 12:45:14 PM

Activity: 24
Merit: 0
October 17, 2014, 02:38:51 AM

Activity: 280
October 17, 2014, 12:30:28 AM
This scenario is actually since the beginning of SDH made ​​to those interested will monopolize the world economy, people are making this scenario must have substantial funds, so it can make a great scenario for the world economy, the world economy is controlled by a very powerful man, capable of monopolize the world money supply and regulate the wealth of individuals and the state ...  Cool
legendary
October 16, 2014, 05:42:03 PM

Instability and government oppression should show Bitcoin like a solution thus increasing adoption

There are 2 possible scenareos:

1) People THAT KNOW (they need to first know about it...) about Bitcoin, put their wealth into Bitcoin hoping it doesnt crash

2) People put their wealth into gold, hoping it doesnt crash

Thats the only legit ways to store your wealth.

Google, Oil and other ressources companies or building a business could be other ways to invest your wealth
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028
October 16, 2014, 07:23:25 AM

Instability and government oppression should show Bitcoin like a solution thus increasing adoption

There are 2 possible scenareos:

1) People THAT KNOW (they need to first know about it...) about Bitcoin, put their wealth into Bitcoin hoping it doesnt crash

2) People put their wealth into gold, hoping it doesnt crash

Thats the only legit ways to store your wealth.
legendary
October 16, 2014, 02:42:25 AM

Activity: 84
★Bitin.io★ - Instant Exchange
October 15, 2014, 11:14:46 AM

Activity: 81
♔ of ♥
October 13, 2014, 09:23:48 AM

legendary
October 13, 2014, 07:48:07 AM
Hard to say which way bitcoin will go.

Remember, during the last crisis, even gold and oil went down quite a bit.

Gold has been going up during the years leading to the house crisis, what was a bit surprising to some was to see the USD going up as well

What do you mean by the USD going up - the USD index, i.e. dollar going up against other major currencies?

Yes

So, as long as USDX is not going down, treasuries are ok (i.e. the debt can keep on growing) as well as the U.S. economy, right?
Hypothetically. This could mean everyone is killing their currency faster than the USA.

However, countries with the exchange rate being lowered are now at an advantage. As they export goods, they can pay their employees more, and 80% of the time the purchasing power of the currency stays the same, unless something REALLY goes to crap.

If they start paying their employees more, that would cause inflation, and the purchasing power of the currency will not stay the same, especially if this process takes on (future expectations on inflation would invariably kick in).

If your currency is depreciating, you may export more nominally but what about in value?
If your currency is depreciating, the inputs you use to produce your product are going to increase in price (nominally) so you will have to increase your price
Your employees are going to need increased wages since the prices are going to go up in the country, if they don't, the fact that the currency depreciated is bad for the employees thus for most people
The prices of foreign goods will have gone up while, all else being equal, the price of domestically produced goods will stay the same. The result is that domestic goods will have an advantage over foreign goods

Prices of foreign goods will have gone up so it is bad for the consumers and for companies that need to buy a lot of foreign goods to produce their goods

The price of foreign goods will go up as well and even if they have an advantage over foreign goods domestic companies may sell more but will only get more nominally not in value or very marginally; they will need to increase their salaries to upset the higher cost of living and they will pay more taxes
When the price of goods made in other countries goes up, it makes the goods produced domestically more competitive so more domestic goods will be sold, helping the local economy. 

-Do you read what I wrote? You will sell more but you will receive more in a devaluated currency so you may not receive more in VALUE

1/Let's say you used to sell 100USD and 100USD=100Euro
2/now you devaluate the USD and 100USD=80euros
3/ Yousell 120USD but 120USD=96EURO so you actually make less in value

-Companies will need to increase their salaries to upset the higher cost of living because of higher taxes and higher cost of raw material and importations

-Companies will pay more taxes
Activity: 568
Smoke weed everyday!
October 12, 2014, 08:57:05 AM

Gold has been going up during the years leading to the house crisis, what was a bit surprising to some was to see the USD going up as well

What do you mean by the USD going up - the USD index, i.e. dollar going up against other major currencies?

Yes

So, as long as USDX is not going down, treasuries are ok (i.e. the debt can keep on growing) as well as the U.S. economy, right?
Hypothetically. This could mean everyone is killing their currency faster than the USA.

However, countries with the exchange rate being lowered are now at an advantage. As they export goods, they can pay their employees more, and 80% of the time the purchasing power of the currency stays the same, unless something REALLY goes to crap.

If they start paying their employees more, that would cause inflation, and the purchasing power of the currency will not stay the same, especially if this process takes on (future expectations on inflation would invariably kick in).

If your currency is depreciating, you may export more nominally but what about in value?
If your currency is depreciating, the inputs you use to produce your product are going to increase in price (nominally) so you will have to increase your price
Your employees are going to need increased wages since the prices are going to go up in the country, if they don't, the fact that the currency depreciated is bad for the employees thus for most people
The prices of foreign goods will have gone up while, all else being equal, the price of domestically produced goods will stay the same. The result is that domestic goods will have an advantage over foreign goods

Prices of foreign goods will have gone up so it is bad for the consumers and for companies that need to buy a lot of foreign goods to produce their goods

The price of foreign goods will go up as well and even if they have an advantage over foreign goods domestic companies may sell more but will only get more nominally not in value or very marginally; they will need to increase their salaries to upset the higher cost of living and they will pay more taxes
When the price of goods made in other countries goes up, it makes the goods produced domestically more competitive so more domestic goods will be sold, helping the local economy. 
legendary
October 11, 2014, 05:42:32 PM

Yes

legendary
Activity: 906
Merit: 1002
October 11, 2014, 03:30:51 PM

Yes

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
October 11, 2014, 04:21:26 AM

You just have to see how much China has benefited from having an undervalued currency.
Pages:
Jump to: