Pages:
Author

Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist - page 75. (Read 205816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Former Republican National Committee Chairman Robert Steele: Rand Paul is most dangerous man in politics right now to break left-right paradigm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_ix1EKybQI
7 minute segment on MSNBC yesterday where the former RNC chair says his piece on Rand Paul.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
looks just like its going to be the same old family names bush vs Clinton.

Please don't say that, I get sick just thinking about it.  That is not a step in the right direction and not only that but it insures we will continue on the path of destruction and will have more of the same problems that got us where we are today.  Only things are much worse these days so the effects of bad politics will be catastrophic in many ways.

Didn't say it was a good thing and in fact I agree with you but I bet you that's how its going to end up anyway.

Bush 3 vs Queen Clinton would be a disaster which I do not want to watch. It is vital that we have better choices.
Like Al Gore  Cheesy   .....kidding
Activity: 76
Merit: 10

Please don't say that, I get sick just thinking about it.  That is not a step in the right direction and not only that but it insures we will continue on the path of destruction and will have more of the same problems that got us where we are today.  Only things are much worse these days so the effects of bad politics will be catastrophic in many ways.

Didn't say it was a good thing and in fact I agree with you but I bet you that's how its going to end up anyway.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!

Please don't say that, I get sick just thinking about it.  That is not a step in the right direction and not only that but it insures we will continue on the path of destruction and will have more of the same problems that got us where we are today.  Only things are much worse these days so the effects of bad politics will be catastrophic in many ways.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
republican candidates are dropping like flies, and we're not even close to starting the primaries just yet.

http://www.vice.com/read/rick-perry-hired-a-lawyer-who-once-tried-to-turn-him-in-to-the-fbi-717
legendary
Rand Paul’s race moment

By BURGESS EVERETT |

Sen. Rand Paul is staking out new ground: He’s the Republican who can talk race and police brutality.

In an op-ed for Time magazine Thursday on the events in Ferguson, Missouri, Paul (R-Ky.) took on race, militarized police and why “it is impossible for African-Americans not to feel like their government is particularly targeting them.”

The potential 2016 presidential contender is fond of telling the GOP that it needs to appeal beyond its mostly white base if it wants to be competitive in national races — pushing for sentencing reforms and speaking to traditionally black audiences. But his efforts to make inroads with new GOP constituencies haven’t always gone smoothly.

The tension in the St. Louis suburbs, however, could mark a turning point for Paul.

The senator’s lengthy, provocative and personal op-ed went further than any other Republican in acknowledging pervasive racial divisions in the U.S.

“Anyone who thinks that race does not still, even if inadvertently, skew the application of criminal justice in this country is just not paying close enough attention,” he wrote.

Republicans have a long way to go toward building support among African-Americans and other minorities. But politicians from both parties often struggle to talk about race — and Paul is winning applause from unlikely places for his willingness to confront the issue.

More...http://www.politico.com/story/2014/08/rand-pauls-race-moment-110040.html

MSNBC host: Rand Paul breaks the mold of Republicans who never question law enforcement
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1goXKsBcHs ~3 min clip

Once again, Rand knows how to get media attention.
i find it funny that ted cruz is even in the running. i thought, if anything, the republican base would stick closely to the constitution, and you can't become president of the U.S. unless you are born in the united states. also, he's a clown.

also concerning huckabee, who seems to have a strong following even though he doesn't seem to have interest in running: getting his endorsement would probably go a long way for rand.
legendary

Is the Senate on a summer break? I haven't been watching the daily news much lately?
His father used to do pro bono baby deliveries back before Gov't intervention helped make medical care costs soar to unbelievable heights.
Yes, they are on summer break and he should be in South Carolina today and tomorrow if I heard it right. Then, he's off to Guatemala to perform 3 days worth of eye surgeries Saturday morning.

Rand Paul heading to Guatemala to do eye surgeries

WASHINGTON — Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., is just back from barnstorming Iowa, home of the earliest presidential caucus, and he’s heading next to eat barbecue in South Carolina, the first voting state in Dixie and a critical stop for Republicans who aspire to the White House.

In between, though, Paul is going about as far from the beaten political track as possible, the central highlands of Guatemala.

An ophthalmologist with a medical degree from Duke University, Paul is joining a medical mission to do eye surgeries in Guatemala as Congress continues its August break. The trip comes as Paul tries to differentiate himself from other Republican contenders, including efforts at reach out to minority groups and Silicon Valley.

Paul said he “doesn’t know” what the political implications of the trip might be, only that his work as a physician was his first passion and he doesn’t want to stop.

“It’s just something I kind of miss in my life, and I want to be able to give back,” Paul said in an interview.

Paul leaves for Guatemala early Saturday morning and will do surgeries in the small city of Salama from Monday through Wednesday.

More...http://www.kentucky.com/2014/08/13/3378532/rand-paul-heading-to-guatemala.html?sp=/99/322/

Interestingly,
Paul’s three days of surgeries are going to be well documented. About 17 members of the press are going to accompany Paul, said Michael Yei, outreach manager for the Moran Eye Center. He said the list includes Fox News Channel host Greta Van Susteren and her crew, the Christian Broadcasting Network, the Washington Post, the National Review and the conservative website Breitbart News.
Grin
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
           Aug '14May '14Feb '14Jul '13
Cruz           16%   15%   13%   8%
Paul           15%   11%   15%   18%
Huckabee   14%   11%   11%   n/a
Bush           12%   14%   12%   11%
Christie   12%   14%   10%   13%
Palin           11%   12%   13%   14%
Walker   7%   4%   4%   n/a
Ryan           6%   4%   4%   9%
Rubio           5%   3%   6%   9%
SE/NS*   4%   12%   12%   19%

Palin is almost definitely not running this time. So I'll ignore her. Other than Rand Paul, the only other candidate with significant support is Chris Christie. Alaska is definitely interesting.
legendary
Dr. and Sen. Rand Paul performs pro bono eye surgery in Lousiville, KY recently.

Also, 2 of the largest local news stations covered his surgeries and mentioned his upcoming trip to do the same in Guatemala in a week or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CqN4amn-A

Is the Senate on a summer break? I haven't been watching the daily news much lately?
His father used to do pro bono baby deliveries back before Gov't intervention helped make medical care costs soar to unbelievable heights.
legendary
Dr. and Sen. Rand Paul performs pro bono eye surgery in Lousiville, KY recently.

Also, 2 of the largest local news stations covered his surgeries and mentioned his upcoming trip to do the same in Guatemala in a week or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CqN4amn-A
legendary
PPP 2016 GOP Poll - Alaska (Aug '14)
Alaska
July 31-August 3, 2014
337 Republican primary voters
+/-5.3%

Aug '14May '14Feb '14Jul '13
Cruz           16%   15%   13%   8%
Paul           15%   11%   15%   18%
Huckabee   14%   11%   11%   n/a
Bush           12%   14%   12%   11%
Christie   12%   14%   10%   13%
Palin           11%   12%   13%   14%
Walker   7%   4%   4%   n/a
Ryan           6%   4%   4%   9%
Rubio           5%   3%   6%   9%
SE/NS*   4%   12%   12%   19%
http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2014/08/alaskans-remain-down-on-palin.html
Paul/Cruz/Palin 42%
Christie/Bush/Bubio not so much

Almost meaningless, I know.
legendary
By unleashing her inner hawk, is Hillary helping Rand Paul?

Anyone think Hillary will update her face come 2016?
For a while it seemed as if Hillary Clinton had learned her lesson and caged her inner hawk. After all, she would have won the Democratic presidential nomination—and likely the general election—in 2008 if she had voted against the Iraq war.

Instead Clinton, a liberal interventionist like her husband, voted in favor of invading Iraq. Barack Obama opposed the war, albeit from the safety of the Illinois state legislature. The rest was history.

In an illuminating interview with The Atlantic’s Jeffrey Goldberg, Hillary lets the hawk out of the cage. She blames the chaos unfolding in Iraq not on the war she voted for but on the Obama administration’s failure to intervene more heavily in Syria, such as by arming the rebels.

“The failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad—there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle—the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled,” Clinton told Goldberg.
But it’s worth noting that her overall framing of the threat posed by radical Islam differs little from the neoconservatives and their liberal hawk little buddies. When the former advocates war, the latter usually goes along for the ride.
Many Americans, particularly independents and swing voters, are war-weary. They will want an alternative to Clinton’s foreign policy.
Might this alternative come from the Republican Party? The potential presidential candidate best situated to take advantage of Hillary’s hawkish turn is Rand Paul.
Paul will be positioned to be the anti-Hillary: anti-Obamacare, anti-big government and relatively antiwar. In a Republican primary, being anti-Hillary is not a bad thing.

The senator from Kentucky may be able to demonstrate that Clinton’s politics and foreign policy are indeed yesterday’s news.

More...http://rare.us/story/by-unleashing-her-inner-hawk-is-hillary-helping-rand-paul/
legendary
Rand Paul Would Forgo Using Executive Orders as President

U.S. Senator Rand Paul speaks with students at the Village Learning Center at Midwest Church of Christ in west Louisville.

Republican U.S. Senator Rand Paul said Tuesday that if he is elected to the White House, he would only use his executive authority to revoke previous presidential orders.

Kentucky’s junior senator, who is gearing up for a 2016 presidential run, made the comments at a luncheon for the Louisville chamber of commerce, where he addressed a range of topics, from local issues to world affairs.

Asked directly if he would issue executive orders as president, Paul said the only circumstance would be to overturn the ones made by his predecessors.

“Only to undo executive orders. There’s thousands of them that can be undone,” said Paul. “And I would use executive orders to undo executives orders that have encroached on our jurisprudence, our ability to defend ourselves, the right to a trial, all of those I would undo through executive order.”

More...http://wfpl.org/post/rand-paul-would-forgo-using-executive-orders-president
legendary
Rand Paul Comments on Military Strikes in Iraq[/b

Paul spoke to several from the Campbellsville Chamber of Commerce about a number of issues including the situation in Iraq.

"I have mixed feelings about it. I'm not saying I'm completely opposed to helping with arms or maybe even bombing, but I am concerned that ISIS is big and powerful because we protected them in Syria for a year. Do you know who also hates ISIS and who is bombing them? Assad, the Syrian government. So a year ago, the same people who want to bomb ISIS wanted to bomb Syria last year. Syria and ISIS are on opposite sides of the war. We're now bombing both sides of one war that has spread into another country," said Paul.

More...http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/Sen-Rand-Paul-Responds-to-Flip-Flopping-Criticism-270818741.html

Time to bring the troops home, and defend our country!
"We're now bombing both sides of one war that has spread into another country," said Paul.
^^^When Rand explains things that clearly you really see how he can be a great candidate.
True, you don't have to show your hand like his dad did/does regarding foreign policy and allow people to outright dismiss you or allow the media to demagogue you. Just let the facts speak for themselves w/o giving a one-sided radical statement. It's the chamber of commerce republicans that he needs to not be actively against him like they were his old man. Thread the needle when needed.
legendary

Paul spoke to several from the Campbellsville Chamber of Commerce about a number of issues including the situation in Iraq.

"I have mixed feelings about it. I'm not saying I'm completely opposed to helping with arms or maybe even bombing, but I am concerned that ISIS is big and powerful because we protected them in Syria for a year. Do you know who also hates ISIS and who is bombing them? Assad, the Syrian government. So a year ago, the same people who want to bomb ISIS wanted to bomb Syria last year. Syria and ISIS are on opposite sides of the war. We're now bombing both sides of one war that has spread into another country," said Paul.

More...http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/Sen-Rand-Paul-Responds-to-Flip-Flopping-Criticism-270818741.html

Time to bring the troops home, and defend our country!
"We're now bombing both sides of one war that has spread into another country," said Paul.
^^^When Rand explains things that clearly you really see how he can be a great candidate.
legendary

And another one that focuses mostly on his alleged missteps

The glare of Iowa’s bright lights this week shows Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has work to do if he wants to win the GOP nomination.

The likely 2016 contender spent the first half of the week barnstorming the Hawkeye State, traveling 800 miles to meet with the divergent tribes that make up the state’s Republican base.

But while Iowa Republicans give him credit for reaching out to voters outside his natural base, they say he needs to polish his message after a series of missteps that drew local and national attention.
Paul spent much of his week trying to explain his view on Israeli foreign aid, at first claiming he’d never supported cutting it — which he has, repeatedly — before walking back those remarks

More...http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/214768-paul-faces-tough-road-to-2016
I really don't see Paul as a serious contender for the 2016 GOP nomination. I don't think he is well known enough throughout the Conservative base to win the nomination. With the exception of Huckabee I think he is the least well known person on this list.

if there is any lesson to take away from 2012 for the GOP, moderate republicans should be endorsed. romney had to prove how "deeply conservative" he was during the primaries, and then when the presidential elections came rolling around, he had to prove how much of a centrist he is. too much crazy shit is said by the a "normal" extremist republican that it just kills all their chances of winning. maybe being an extremist is beneficial when you are trying to pander to the base, but it comes back to bite you in the ass after the primaries are done.

do you really think independents would vote for michell bachman, rick santorum, or rick perry?
legendary
I really don't see Paul as a serious contender for the 2016 GOP nomination. I don't think he is well known enough throughout the Conservative base to win the nomination. With the exception of Huckabee I think he is the least well known person on this list.

His massive filibuster was a huge mainstream, headline story. Also, you would be amazed by how many Americans (outside of Florida) have never even heard of Jeb Bush.  Cheesy
In the primaries a modest % of highly committed people can make a substantial impact.
Pages:
Jump to: