Pages:
Author

Topic: GOP - Rand Paul's Presidential Highlight Reel w/ his Libertarian Twist - page 84. (Read 205816 times)

legendary
Activity: 1568
Merit: 1001
Shockingly, Rand Paul Could be the GOP Nominee and Trouble for the Dems.
Young male voters are drawn to Libertarian positions on social issues.
In 2008, Barack Obama was the candidate of change, first for Democrats and then the nation. For 2016, those same political stars, to be the agent of change, appear to be lining up behind Rand Paul, Kentucky’s Republican U.S. senator.

Yes, that Rand Paul, who is more accurately labeled as a shrink-the-government Libertarian and has a long history of questionable statements on race. Just as there are signs that Americans are not enthralled by Hillary Clinton’s likely return to the presidential fold (In June, it was Monica Lewinsky; in July, it’s her book), there are signs that Paul is pulling ahead of better-known Republican rivals.

It’s not just that Paul is the clear frontrunner in a new and credible national poll. He has supporters across every key GOP demographic by age and faction, from Tea Partiers to corporate America to the religious right. Younger men, who aren’t likely to vote for Clinton, find his "maverick" personality new and appealing. Similarly, the millennial generation is superficially embracing the Libertarian idea that the government should leave them alone to do as they please. Marijuana laws are one example.

“This guy can win the nomination,” pollster John Zogby said Friday, adding he did not have that view until he took a deeper look at a June 27-29 nationwide survey he conducted. Paul was not only in first place with 20 percent in a crowded field of 10, he had deeper support than “establishment” Republicans. New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and ex-Florida Jeb Bush each polled at 13 percent. Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker had 8 percent, while Florida Sen. Marco Rubio had 7 percent. Five others had even less support. Other national polls put Paul in the lead, but Zogby has him clearly out front.

More...http://www.alternet.org/tea-party-and-right/shockingly-rand-paul-could-be-gop-nominee-and-trouble-dems?paging=off¤t_page=1#bookmark
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
it's funny how mccain has been wrong with virtually everything, and yet he still acts like he's some sort of foreign affairs expert.
LOL, yep ole stiffy is always trotted out there as some respected voice, usually about foreign affairs, but he's nothing more than a cheerleader for the military industrial complex and more death and destruction. Hence, he's always loaded w/ money for reelection.

well, i'm glad we can agree about something. here is the clown singing "bomb bomb iran" while trying to get the GOP nomination. http://youtu.be/o-zoPgv_nYg?t=38s

i'm really, really glad he didn't win in 2008.. he is one of the most bellicose politicians we have today. he wouldn't flinch at the thought of sending our troops abroad.
legendary
it's funny how mccain has been wrong with virtually everything, and yet he still acts like he's some sort of foreign affairs expert.
LOL, yep ole stiffy is always trotted out there as some respected voice, usually about foreign affairs, but he's nothing more than a cheerleader for the military industrial complex and more death and destruction. Hence, he's always loaded w/ money for reelection.
Activity: 406
McCain: Paul a part of ‘Fortress America’ wing

By Martin Matishak - 07/13/14 10:03 AM EDT

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Sunday waded into a brewing foreign policy debate inside the Republican Party, saying Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) represents a more isolationist outlook.

Paul is “part of a wing of the party that has been there prior to World War I, that is a withdrawal to ‘Fortress America,’” McCain said on CNN’s "State of the Union."

McCain, who serves on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee with Paul, acknowledged the freshman senator has a “far different view than mine of the world.”

But, McCain said, he understood Paul’s appeal to Americans “weary of involvement” after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"So I'm not particularly interested in getting between Senator Paul and Governor Perry, but I do believe that the things we're seeing in the world today, in greater turmoil than at any time in my lifetime, is a direct result of an absence of American leadership," McCain said. "And we are paying a very, very heavy price now, and we will in the future, until we decide to understand that America is an essential role in maintaining peace and stability throughout the world, and that does not mean sending combat troops everywhere."

Read more...http://thehill.com/policy/defense/212078-mccain-paul-a-member-of-fortress-america-wing-of-gop

If McCain is coming out to criticize your policies you are doing it right. He is just another statist that tried to portray himself as some rebellious hero. 
oh man, if he gets the nomination i know where to put all my money in vegas for the 2016 election. it would be hilarious though, so i wouldn't mind it. half of his campaign will be defending his level of intelligence.

Much of what I know about Rick Perry is based on his horrible performance in the debates last time around. Since then, he has claimed he was recovering from surgery (on his back?) and that he was affected by prescription drugs during the debates.

Either way, he is the guy who said "I am actually for gun control: Use both hands" (to better control the gun) and that is pretty funny.  Smiley

the lack of sleep/prescription shit is probably just a coverup for his low intelligence. he's also had "stadium prayers" in houston. yeah, they go to stadiums and pray for an improved economy and rain (a lot of drought happening in texas. they have no idea why, even though science shows it's climate change).

he's also had plenty of shady deals in the past, where his friend "bought" him real estate in a developing area.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
oh man, if he gets the nomination i know where to put all my money in vegas for the 2016 election. it would be hilarious though, so i wouldn't mind it. half of his campaign will be defending his level of intelligence.

Much of what I know about Rick Perry is based on his horrible performance in the debates last time around. Since then, he has claimed he was recovering from surgery (on his back?) and that he was affected by prescription drugs during the debates.

Either way, he is the guy who said "I am actually for gun control: Use both hands" (to better control the gun) and that is pretty funny.  Smiley
legendary
McCain: Paul a part of ‘Fortress America’ wing

By Martin Matishak - 07/13/14 10:03 AM EDT

Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) on Sunday waded into a brewing foreign policy debate inside the Republican Party, saying Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) represents a more isolationist outlook.

Paul is “part of a wing of the party that has been there prior to World War I, that is a withdrawal to ‘Fortress America,’” McCain said on CNN’s "State of the Union."

McCain, who serves on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee with Paul, acknowledged the freshman senator has a “far different view than mine of the world.”

But, McCain said, he understood Paul’s appeal to Americans “weary of involvement” after the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"So I'm not particularly interested in getting between Senator Paul and Governor Perry, but I do believe that the things we're seeing in the world today, in greater turmoil than at any time in my lifetime, is a direct result of an absence of American leadership," McCain said. "And we are paying a very, very heavy price now, and we will in the future, until we decide to understand that America is an essential role in maintaining peace and stability throughout the world, and that does not mean sending combat troops everywhere."

Read more...http://thehill.com/policy/defense/212078-mccain-paul-a-member-of-fortress-america-wing-of-gop
legendary
rick perry must be one of the dumbest politicians in america (outside maybe michelle bachmann, or sarah palin when she was one)... why are we even giving his voice credence?
Well for one, he's likely to be a contender for the GOP nomination in 2016 and potentially one of the 'conservative or anti-establishment' alternatives to Rand Paul. Plus, pigeonholing Rand with lingo that was used against his dad further paints Rand in his dad's mold to anarchists that don't like his politicking messaging of the liberty message yet were cool w/ Ron for always telling the blatant truth w/o a muzzle at times. Backing up my first point, Perry as the TX Gov has been trying to be mr. big dick on this immigration thing and trying to capture the spotlight of the conservative heartland that is fed up w/ this whole ordeal. So, from a libertarian point of view in the GOP that is more accepting of libertarian populism, I'm keeping tabs on the frauds that they'll string out there and try to get one to stick to deprive Rand of as much grassroots conservative support as they can just like they strung out Perry, Cain, Bachmann, Gingrich, Santorum, etc in 2012 against Ron to be the anti-establishment choice against Romney.
rick perry must be one of the dumbest politicians in america (outside maybe michelle bachmann, or sarah palin when she was one)... why are we even giving his voice credence?
legendary
Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) slams Rand Paul's 'isolationist policies' in Washington Post op-ed

Rick Perry, a Republican, is governor of Texas.

As a veteran, and as a governor who has supported Texas National Guard deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, I can understand the emotions behind isolationism. Many people are tired of war, and the urge to pull back is a natural, human reaction. Unfortunately, we live in a world where isolationist policies would only endanger our national security even further.

That’s why it’s disheartening to hear fellow Republicans, such as Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), suggest that our nation should ignore what’s happening in Iraq. The main problem with this argument is that it means ignoring the profound threat that the group now calling itself the Islamic State poses to the United States and the world.

In the Islamic State, which came to prominence in Syria and now controls ample territory, weapons and cash in both that country and Iraq, the world is confronting an even more radicalized version of Islamic extremism than al-Qaeda. This group is well-trained, technologically sophisticated and adept at recruitment, with thousands of people with European passports fighting on its side, as well as some Americans.

This represents a real threat to our national security — to which Paul seems curiously blind — because any of these passport carriers can simply buy a plane ticket and show up in the United States without even a visa. It’s particularly chilling when you consider that one American has already carried out a suicide bombing and a terrorist-trained European allegedly killed four at the Jewish Museum in Brussels.

More...htxp://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/rick-perry-isolationist-policies-make-the-threat-of-terrorism-even-greater/2014/07/11/6dbfba4a-06f0-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html
hit pieces get no linkage

"Isolationism" is a propaganda/BS word. Rand is for peaceful trade with other nations, not 'isolation' from the world.
Yep, someone forgot to tell the likes of Perry that the term isolationism doesn't work like it did in the past. Now people are like, "So?'' But, your point is right.
legendary
Gov. Rick Perry (R-TX) slams Rand Paul's 'isolationist policies' in Washington Post op-ed

As a veteran, and as a governor who has supported Texas National Guard deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan, I can understand the emotions behind isolationism. Many people are tired of war, and the urge to pull back is a natural, human reaction. Unfortunately, we live in a world where isolationist policies would only endanger our national security even further.

That’s why it’s disheartening to hear fellow Republicans, such as Sen. Rand Paul (Ky.), suggest that our nation should ignore what’s happening in Iraq. The main problem with this argument is that it means ignoring the profound threat that the group now calling itself the Islamic State poses to the United States and the world.

In the Islamic State, which came to prominence in Syria and now controls ample territory, weapons and cash in both that country and Iraq, the world is confronting an even more radicalized version of Islamic extremism than al-Qaeda. This group is well-trained, technologically sophisticated and adept at recruitment, with thousands of people with European passports fighting on its side, as well as some Americans.

This represents a real threat to our national security — to which Paul seems curiously blind — because any of these passport carriers can simply buy a plane ticket and show up in the United States without even a visa. It’s particularly chilling when you consider that one American has already carried out a suicide bombing and a terrorist-trained European allegedly killed four at the Jewish Museum in Brussels.

More...htxp://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/rick-perry-isolationist-policies-make-the-threat-of-terrorism-even-greater/2014/07/11/6dbfba4a-06f0-11e4-bbf1-cc51275e7f8f_story.html

"Isolationism" is a propaganda/BS word. Rand is for peaceful trade with other nations, not 'isolation' from the world.
legendary

legendary
A Revealing Reading List
Rand Paul’s book recommendations.

This is a reflection upon the man by one of the neocons, ahem freedom conservatives as they now call themselves, over at Buckley/Kristol Central.
Rand Paul is a man of conviction. His reputation for acting on principle is the foundation on which he has begun to build the infrastructure of a presidential campaign. It is very difficult, however, for a man of conviction to adjust his image without compromising his reputation for integrity.

In the realm of foreign policy, Senator Paul faces the challenge of dispelling perceptions that he shares the isolationist tendencies of his father, former congressman Ron Paul of Texas. He wants to convince conservative voters that he has been mislabeled and misunderstood. His approach to foreign affairs has not changed, yet Senator Paul now presents his views as applications of Ronald Reagan’s firm but cautious approach to national security.

The Achilles’ heel of this rebranding effort has been Paul’s own candor. When speaking off the cuff, he has made observations that seem to reflect the worldview of President Reagan’s left-wing and isolationist critics. In that vein, Paul suggested that the United States provoked Japan before Pearl Harbor and that Dick Cheney supported the invasion of Iraq in order to make a profit for his former employer Halliburton.

Now there is the strange case of Paul’s reading list for students, which can be found on his official Senate website. The foreign policy section of the list consists entirely of works that blame the United States for the rise of Islamic extremism while offering solutions that verge on isolationism. Most of the books also express a sharp hostility toward Israel and toward those who believe that U.S. foreign policy should serve the cause of human freedom. Reagan, to put it mildly, was a friend of Israel and advocate of freedom.

Here's -> The List (partial)
The Road to Serfdom, Friedrich A. Hayek

The Conscience of a Conservative, Barry Goldwater

Human Action, Ludwig von Mises

Conceived in Liberty, Murray N. Rothbard

Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand

The Revolution: A Manifesto, Ron Paul

End the Fed, Ron Paul

A Foreign Policy of Freedom, Ron Paul

Meltdown: A Free-Market Look at Why the Stock Market Collapsed, the Economy Tanked, and Government Bailouts Will Make Things Worse, Thomas E. Woods Jr.
More...http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/revealing-reading-list_796396.html?nopager=1

Wink
legendary
Rand Paul op-ed: Give kids a second chance after drug crime
by Rand Paul
July 11, 2014

A friend of mine's brother was convicted of a felony for growing marijuana plants in his college dorm. Thirty years later he still can't vote and his felony record prevents him from getting a good job.

Because of his story and others like it, I introduced bipartisan legislation to restore federal voting rights for non-violent offenders upon release from prison.

This week, I introduced another piece of legislation with Senator Cory Booker to make some reforms to the criminal justice system that will help non-violent individuals reintegrate into society and secure employment.

Both of these bills will reform existing federal law to allow low-level offenders a second chance. These ideas will both allow the restoration of the right to vote and the opportunity to remove a permanent blot preventing employment for those released after non-violent punishment.

First, we should restore voting rights to non-violent ex-offenders upon release, so they can vote in federal elections. This is an issue that I feel strongly about.

This past February, I testified before the Kentucky Senate to urge a Kentucky constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to many ex-offenders upon release.

The war on drugs has disproportionately affected men and women of color; minorities are nearly four times more likely to be arrested for certain nonviolent drug offenses, like drug possession, even though surveys show that white Americans use drugs at the similar rate. This is a travesty.

More...http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2014/07/11/voting-rights-drugs-minorities-column/12404979/?AID=10709313&PID=6152037&SID=xdthvbqp44ut

+

Similar footage last night on MSNBC (left wing central channel) about Rand's Lead on this issue along side Sen. Cory Booker (D-NJ)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE9Qbo5QHac 5:38 min clip
legendary

They tried getting that law changed but believe it or not, democrats run the state house and they didn't go for it obviously. My guess is, Rand and co will know what kind of shot they have over the first handful of primaries or caucuses and if the steam is gathering they'll go for broke or otherwise pull out and stay in the Senate.

Oh yes...
Reading your reply just reminded me that Kentucky has a late primary compared to many other states, so it works out great (??) depending on the deadlines for filing, declaring, printing ballots, etc. At least there is hope that things can work out really well.  Smiley
legendary

Hey, does anyone know the answer to this?

Rand is a huge asset in the Senate. Is it true he will lose his seat if he enters the Pres race, since in Kentucky he cannot run in both races?
They tried getting that law changed but believe it or not, democrats run the state house and they didn't go for it obviously. My guess is, Rand and co will know what kind of shot they have over the first handful of primaries or caucuses and if the steam is gathering they'll go for broke or otherwise pull out and stay in the Senate.
legendary
i'm not sure we live in the same world.. take a look here http://www.nationalreview.com/article/347151/rand-paul-and-israel.

Have you ever read Rand's articles for the school paper in college? He is/was a genuine, radical fighter for individual liberty.
If the current system demands certain types of ass-kissing to have any chance of winning, then what do you expect to do....always lose?
Perhaps if he wins he can change the system, either way we face an "interesting" future full of many serious challenges.
legendary
Zogby national poll: Rand Paul 20%, Christie 13%, Bush 13%, Walker 8%, Rubio 7%

Rand Paul Leads the GOP Pack for 2016 -- And Not By a Little

by John Zogby
7/09/2014 @ 2:15PM

A new Zogby Analytics poll of likely Republican primary voters in 2016 shows Rand Paul starting to build a lead over better known – and more establishment – GOP figures. The poll of 282 likely and eligible voters in GOP presidential primaries was conducted June 27-29 and has a margin-of-sampling error of +/-6 percentage points.

In the poll, the junior Senator from Kentucky polls 20%, followed by “Establishment” candidates New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush with 13% each. In fourth place is Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker with 8%, then Florida Senator Marco Rubio 7%, Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindahl 4%, and New Mexico Governor Suzanna Martinez, Ohio Governor John Kasich, and South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley all with 1% each.

This is the first time a GOP candidate has reached 20% in a crowded field and the first time a Zogby poll has shown someone emerging a bit from the pack. Obviously it is too early to predict outcomes or draw lasting conclusion but here are some points to consider:
More...http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnzogby/2014/07/09/rand-paul-leads-the-gop-pack-for-2016-and-not-by-a-little/
Note that Cruz and Huck aren't in this one which they were when I pointed it out in the last one.

Too bad they only polled 282 people, because those are some awesome results.  Smiley

Hey, does anyone know the answer to this?

Rand is a huge asset in the Senate. Is it true he will lose his seat if he enters the Pres race, since in Kentucky he cannot run in both races?
Pages:
Jump to: