Pages:
Author

Topic: Got my BFL Single today and I'm raffling it away for 0.5BTC! - page 8. (Read 29283 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet
You sorted the list by the SHA, not sure I like that. I had 2 purchases sperated by quite a bit of time, I like the idea of the tickets for those not being in 1 block and 2 blocks of numbers.

Phil

I sorted the list by email addresses actually. The SHA was after-the-fact.
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
You sorted the list by the SHA, not sure I like that. I had 2 purchases sperated by quite a bit of time, I like the idea of the tickets for those not being in 1 block and 2 blocks of numbers.

Phil

You do realize that it makes absolutely no difference statistically, right? Your odds of winning (or losing) are identical regardless of where or how your tickets are split within the total range.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

Phil
It's exactly random and the same number of chances regardless of where they end up in the list...   Huh 
Activity: 866
Merit: 1001

Phil
donator
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
...so I'd choose like two in the future whenever the spreadsheet is finished

Spreadsheet is finished.

Great, maybe we could agree on a block, like 171450, also a very round number in the future. Plenty of time to check the sheet until then.

Spreadsheet is finished.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ajtx05YrHtIydFpNdjFuQ0diUTkxV3ZTcnczb2RJN0E

The original, unhashed version (which includes invoices for verification at Bit-Pay has been sent to Theymos for records purposes and future scammer investigations, which I'm sure some sore loser will try to instigate at one point or another).

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but I converted all of the email addresses to lowercase (wtf@people using different casing in email addresses anyway) so keep that in mind when searching for your address. Since I've already received a dozen complaints that someone couldn't find their email address and I've had to hold their hand and show them how, I won't be responding to complaints of that nature in the future.
Activity: 714
Psi laju, karavani prolaze.

I would make it further out.  The further the block is out the more people who can review the list and possibly spot errors.  Would suck if there is an error in the list, someone wins and then people realize the error(s).  Do you have it stand, go again, etc.

I would say once list is published announce block # and make it 24 blocks out (~ 4 hours).

I support, at least 24. Makes a round number. 171460

donator

I guess I could wait one hour more too *sohardtowait*
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis

I would make it further out.  The further the block is out the more people who can review the list and possibly spot errors.  Would suck if there is an error in the list, someone wins and then people realize the error(s).  Do you have it stand, go again, etc.

I would say once list is published announce block # and make it 24 blocks out (~ 4 hours).
donator
Okay so what block number are we on right now?
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Sounds like a good method.

For totally transparency just two things are needed.

A) A final list which should sha-256 email address, the # of tickets (and to avoid confusion the ticket # range).

Example:
hash                                           tickets      ticket #s    
jkfjhasdklfhdfjkhfdjkdhsafjkdhfadjk    120           0-119
fh89r7efuisey78a6s78sdtyfuidfjhh     200          120 - 319
fh89r7efuisey7fjsjs978sdtyfuidfjhh    100          40260 - 40359

B) and the block # which will be used and then we just need to wait for that block.  It should be far enough out to allow people to check the list for errors before the block arrives.
Activity: 407
I also prefer this method.

So...

Where is the final list of hashed emails versus "tickets"?

And what block are we targeting for the "draw"?

I'm eager to win my BitForce! Wink lol
legendary
Activity: 922
Merit: 1003
For those that understand the modulo function, you see we must specify that the first raffle ticket number in our list is #0. We use the modulo function with hash of a future block that the organizer specifies to determine the winner:

(last-10-digits-of-block-hash) % (number-of-tickets) = winning ticket number

Excellent, I support this 100%

Agreed. This is a reasonable method.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
Maybe block # % # of entries? (I as well have no idea what is contained inside a block so I'm just throwing ideas into the wind lol)

You are about right. The modulo (%) is what I proposed (page 3). I gave Matthew and others who may do raffles the tools so they could prove their raffle is being run fairly for anybody that may question how the winner is picked.

For some technical information:

Each bitcoin block has a SHA256(SHA256()) hash that is the main "block hash", a hash of the contents of the block (even more technically, a hash of the merkle tree of the transactions in the block). Like the SHA256 hashes of the emails you submitted to the raffle, hashing the transaction block turns readable data into unpredictable random-looking output (it is unpredictable by design; if you could predict it's output, you could break Bitcoin and crack hashed passwords easily). This is actually the puzzle that mining uses; since the output of SHA256 is unpredictable, it is very hard to find a hash that looks like something you specify. Bitcoin's mining challenge is to find a block hash that starts with many zeroes, the more zeroes we want at the beginning of a 256-bit hash (the smaller the value), the more difficult it becomes to find one.

This hash of a block is our random number picker. We specify a future block, so we know the fix is not in - we want to know that a lottery operator isn't picking the ticket number of a friend of his. Since it is so hard to even find a block hash (it's worth 50BTC), trying to manipulate the blockchain so a hash of a particular block is a particular number is nigh impossible. Since it is in the future, nobody without a time machine could have known the winner. Since the blockchain is published for all to use and see, we know that there is only one answer.

We could use the whole block hash, but that's a biiiig number and would break your calculator and programming environment, so it is not practical for everybody to use and independently verify. I proposed the last 10 digits as more reasonable - that is still a huge random number (in hexadecimal) with a value that will be between 0 and 1,099,511,627,775. I think one million million is a pretty big number.

For those that understand the modulo function, you see we must specify that the first raffle ticket number in our list is #0. We use the modulo function on the hash of a specific future block (that the organizer designates beforehand) to determine the winner:

(last-10-digits-of-block-hash) % (number-of-tickets) = winning ticket number

(I'll let you google modulo function if you don't know what that is.)

By all entrants seeing the list of ticket numbers beforehand, and being able to see how the winning ticket number is picked, it is hard to say that the winner was chosen unfairly. Scammers have to go back to simply not shipping the prize and disappearing. Someone like bitpay may fill this final need, by acting as an escrow agent for prizes for future raffles.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005
in other news: there is no such thing as a free lunch
The Members of the good old Salvation Army might prove otherwise.  Grin
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/salvation-army-begins-free-lunch-program-in-dade-city/1214986
Paid for by donations, not free.
Activity: 327
we are legion
The Members of the good old Salvation Army might prove otherwise.  Grin
http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/salvation-army-begins-free-lunch-program-in-dade-city/1214986
Activity: 476
The first is by definition not flawed.
UPDATE: Talking to deepceleron about it right now. It's actually not that complicated, I'm just not familiar with the process.
Pages:
Jump to: