Pages:
Author

Topic: GPU mining will die in 2018! - page 3. (Read 16858 times)

Activity: 2142
Merit: 353
Xtreme Monster
June 01, 2018, 02:33:31 AM
Hey Metroid could you PM me? I have a quick question, but it says that I can't message you because I'm a new member.

"User 'Laviborz' is a newbie, but your options are set such that you cannot receive PMs from newbies. Therefore, you cannot send PMs to newbies, either."

That is what it says when I tried to send you a PM.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
May 31, 2018, 11:44:53 PM
I think gpu mining will not die in the near future. not only there will  be new mineable coins in the future, but there are also many up-and-coming projects that will offer new ways of earning compensation for gpu computation. so I think we will not find it as dead in 2018.
Activity: 1120
Merit: 131
May 31, 2018, 05:26:05 PM
I heard that mining will die in 2016, then that it will die in 2017. Now I hear about 2018. Mining at the GPU is working and working.

If you could basically think of it, yeah, It might die, however turn of events could not be easily predicted, like coin developers decisions

ASIC and FPGA, they already exists a long time ago, its like a war of improvements

Lets see how it goes, same with coins

oh btw, seen some AI mining for gpu's  Smiley

I'm eager to see the price of Vega 20, I'm expecting a 100% computing power improvement (proto seems to show 70% according to the "leaked benchmark"), less power draw (150w says the rumor) + AI native instructions. Just hope it won't be overpriced...
Activity: 1
May 31, 2018, 04:37:08 PM
Hey Metroid could you PM me? I have a quick question, but it says that I can't message you because I'm a new member.
Activity: 1118
Merit: 541
May 05, 2018, 10:24:06 PM
why is chinese so dominating huh ?? from global games to crypto, they seem to be the benchmark for all the major products.
Is it because they have a lot of players Huh

Cultural differences. NA and EU investors that I have met are pretty risk adverse when it comes to mining hardware. The mentality of a chinese investor would make them more likely to drop the money and take the risk on the hardware. Once GMO starts building their 7nm asic that will change, the new dominant player will be japanese, not chinese.

Activity: 1008
Merit: 297
Grow with community
May 05, 2018, 12:10:16 PM
I heard that mining will die in 2016, then that it will die in 2017. Now I hear about 2018. Mining at the GPU is working and working.

If you could basically think of it, yeah, It might die, however turn of events could not be easily predicted, like coin developers decisions

ASIC and FPGA, they already exists a long time ago, its like a war of improvements

Lets see how it goes, same with coins

oh btw, seen some AI mining for gpu's  Smiley
Activity: 1190
Merit: 641
May 05, 2018, 09:19:24 AM
Xtreme Monster
May 05, 2018, 09:14:33 AM
It died in 2014 then resurrected in 2015, the way things are, unless other coin developers follow monero developers then it will cause what determines if gpu mining will die or not in the end is profitability like in 2014, right now unlike in 2014, there is still a light shining in the end of the tunnel, whether or not this light will keep shining, depends entirely on actions of coin developers.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
May 05, 2018, 08:56:23 AM
Either way that still doesn't mean GPU mining will die.

Pretty sure people will continue to mine as long as you can pull coins out of thin air with your GPU.

As for building a $5k rig and paying it off in a couple months, that is gone.

But all this means is that crypto is taking off and everyone wants in.
Xtreme Monster
May 04, 2018, 07:02:10 PM
Bitmain and its goons have been dropping bombs after bombs and they do not look tired at all, i guess what is next to their schedule, as far as I can tell by inside sources, they are researching on how to crack/take advantage of proof of stake chains already, amazing hehe, they are going for the kill and that is all because coin developers allow them to do it hehe
legendary
Activity: 4354
Merit: 3614
what is this "brake pedal" you speak of?
May 04, 2018, 06:50:06 PM
seems right now even "mining" cards are 95% stock video cards, just with no display connectors. everything else is the same except maybe the bios.

i wonder how far a REAL mining card could be stripped down if it didnt need to conform to the pcie spec physically and electrically.  only needs a 1x pcie connector, a few pcie power connectors, a GPU, memory and few glue chips and thats it. so it could be much less expensive, fit into smaller (non standard mining only) cases, reach higher rates (tweaked memory and timings and controllers, say 512 bits wide or something [if that can be done i gather memory bus is baked into the gpu, but maybe bank switching or something can be done]). twice the compute power in half the space. would be sweet.

just need someone to step up and order bare gpu dies and go to town.

steal posts much?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.33011620

seems right now even "mining" cards are 95% stock video cards, just with no display connectors. everything else is the same except maybe the bios.

i wonder how far a REAL mining card could be stripped down if it didnt need to conform to the pcie spec physically and electrically.  only needs a 1x pcie connector, a few pcie power connectors, a GPU, memory and few glue chips and thats it. so it could be much less expensive, fit into smaller (non standard mining only) cases, reach higher rates (tweaked memory and timings and controllers, say 512 bits wide or something [if that can be done i gather memory bus is baked into the gpu, but maybe bank switching or something can be done]). twice the compute power in half the space. would be sweet.

reported

EDIT: can a DT member paint him with some red trust please. looks like hes trying to meet a bounty post count.
Activity: 74
Merit: 10
May 04, 2018, 06:19:02 PM
Not sure what everyone is talking about?

I mine on my cellphone also and it pulls it at least $5 a day.

Then my watch, that is about another $2

Then you figure around $3 per card...

Not dying. Hopefully people keep selling and I keep buying.
Activity: 644
Merit: 24
May 03, 2018, 08:50:30 PM
With the bitmain antminers keeps dropping on it seems to be the case, at least for the GPUs mining !

LOL
Activity: 52
May 03, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
With the bitmain antminers keeps dropping on it seems to be the case, at least for the GPUs mining !
copper member
Activity: 56
May 03, 2018, 07:27:34 PM

Activity: 148
Merit: 5
May 03, 2018, 02:18:34 PM

if eth and zec developers don't block asics then you will still be able to mine monero with gpus which is a good thing.

It won't be a good thing, if the majority of the gpu hash power is on xmr. 

It's such an interesting dynamic... AMD dominates CN(v7). Nvidia's are in trouble... will be interesting to see how all this plays into global demand; may end up benefiting AMD.
Activity: 28
May 03, 2018, 01:16:41 PM
why is chinese so dominating huh ?? from global games to crypto, they seem to be the benchmark for all the major products.

High IQ population.
Activity: 168
May 03, 2018, 12:19:56 PM
legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1403
May 03, 2018, 11:54:48 AM
Now, it's time to die, the days of GPUs are ending
Activity: 644
Merit: 24
May 03, 2018, 11:01:55 AM

if eth and zec developers don't block asics then you will still be able to mine monero with gpus which is a good thing.

It won't be a good thing, if the majority of the gpu hash power is on xmr. 
Pages:
Jump to: