Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 212. (Read 597425 times)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0
@ aysyr & Gridcoin -  thanks for the replies.

This may be a face-palm moment but I don't have any GRC in my wallet. For some reason  I thought the beacon would loop the payment back on itself and so not require a balance. Please can you/someone send me enough GRC to get started  Roll Eyes

GG6XHgjJYmzaSxAeRTeRRhC1g3Smgk1QDh

If this fixes the issue 'll add a post to the 'How to CPU mine' thread as I think the current explanations miss this out.

I have Gridcoin v1.1.5.7-g71-prod

Thanks for your help!
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
P2P The Planet!
yeah great idea,

Lets start posting: http://www.reddit.com/r/gridcoin/
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Anyone want to start a Reddit presence for Gridcoins? Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
I think slowly but surely Gridcoin is starting to grow.

This really seems like a unique coin, hope it gets the attention it deserves.
Activity: 6
This really seems like a unique coin, hope it gets the attention it deserves.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Thank you to all the people who joined the Gridcoin Boinc team in the past few days,

We are now ranked: 5,505 out of 99,779 thanks to you guys.  Cool

On our way to that number 1 spot  Tongue

Another reminder if you haven't yet done so:

"To join a team, all you have to do is log into the project’s website with the credentials you used when adding it to your BOINC client, find the Team page, search for Gridcoin, and join! Be aware that not every project may support teams."

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Bingo,

I Think I understand why beacons are not sent out for certain CPU miners, since I encrypted my wallet I have this problem.

Rob, can that be the cause? Solutions?

Thx
Groten,
I really don't know yet; We're scrambling to release the Linux version by this weekend, so why don't you experiment with the new version we just released, delete your debug file, read the log and see what the error is; if it's still not working, try going to a non-encrypted wallet until we find a workaround, but definitely please keep up informed.

Thanks,
Grid
Another Noob here. I've been trying to get CPU mining working all week but have yet to get the client to send out the beacon to get me on the list of CPU miners.  I've followed AndrewP's tutorial (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/) and read pretty much every post on this and other forums to try to figure this out for myself but seemingly have got nowhere. My Boinc utilization is 60% and Avg daily credits=204.

Gridcoin.conf file is:
server=1
rpcuser=gridcoinrpc
rpcpassword=GG6XHgjJYmzaSxAeRTeRRhC1g3Smgk1QDh
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
cpumining=true
UpdatingLeaderboard=false
UpdatedLeaderboard=23/01/2014 19:54:01
Project1=107958
Project3=491999
Project5=1012899
boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\

cgminer.conf is (not sure if I even need to set this for CPU mining):
"pools" : [
 {
   "url" : "127.0.0.1:9332",
   "user" : "gridcoinrpc",
   "pass" : "GG6XHgjJYmzaSxAeRTeRRhC1g3Smgk1QDh"
 }
]

CPU = Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B970 @ 2.30GHz
Project console - malaria control, Milkyway@home and Rosetta@home all have positive credits.
I've changed the wallet address receiving label to 'Default'

To date I've 'received' 6 unconfirmed transactions of either 0.00000167 or 0.00000267 GRC but I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with mining and I haven't mined these.

IS there something really obvious that I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm completely stuck!  Huh Grin

Hmmm, everything looks right; and when you go into Projects, the number to the right is positive?  Do you have  > 1 grc in your balance?  If not I can send you some.

We just released a new version with beacon logging, so try downloading that also and erase your debug file before you run it; it should say something within an hour as to why your beacon isn't going out.

Grid
I had similar problems these past few days. Found 5 blocks in the past 36 hours again, but only got rewarded ~100GRC.
I still don't know how this Wallet hour work. If I am not lucky and no other blocks are found during the same wallet hour in the past 36 hrs, will I eventually get the payment of 100~ GRC for each block found (My BOINC utilization is 90% all the time)?
Most of the users know this but I reiterate : You still do have to find one block before you are in the integrated pool list.

Wallet hour:  You should be paid multiple times during your wallet hour; one share every time another poolminer finds a block in your wallet hour.  It is possible to have an 'unlucky day' when users don't find many blocks in your wallet hour but it should average out.  You can audit this by checking the boinchash for found blocks during the unixtimestamp range of your wallet hour for the previous day.

Grid
PS I have one poolminer running and received 4 payments last night - I believe they were 80grc each ; fyi.

New Version Available:
7.7.8/71/1.1.5.8: Upgrade from RPC: Yes

* Dc7D: Discovered when a user changes GRC addresses during the leaderboard lookback period their credits are
counted twice and skew the leaderboard position; Fixed.
* When a new user is not yet in the leaderboard, scrypt sleep is set at 50%.
* CPUMining: Added Leaderboard factor to cpumining calculation to smooth out the cpumined credits per standard net factor.
* Added logging in debug.txt for sending beacons; may show the reason beacon did not get transmitted
* Removed logging from debug causing large debug files.  Please delete your debug.txt file if it is large.
* Retry failed CPUMiner API verifications.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
To expand on what deerough said:

It seems that sometimes the running processes of BOINC as well as BOINC itself is the root of this issue. So a possible solution before rebooting as well is closing Gridcoin, killing BOINC and all associated processes (including processes spawned by the projects - i.e. vina, wcg, etc), and then restarting BOINC and Gridcoin.
Activity: 25
I want to post an update for #1 issue.  A simple reboot of my system seemed to work.  Once I did this and fired up Gridcoin qt again my cpu processing power immediately bounce back up to 100%.

i am trying to be an early adopter.  i have a few questions. first of all, i am mining 2 gpus solo with a 12 thread processor.  my average daily credits is 2700 and i have 11 threads devoted to boinc.  my boinc processing power won't go above 65 points.  this has been 100 fairly consistently until i decided to take a few days off with my rig.  i have not had syncing issues so long as i kept up with all the updates and addnodes.  my questions are these:

1. what can cause this to stay at only 65?

2. can someone please explain the scrypt sleep?  does this mean when my sleep is on that my hashing is doing nothing? 

3. does closing the mining console have to hide command prompts? i have other things running in command prompt sometimes and these get hidden as well.  it would be helpful if the mining console only hid process that it started. 

thanks, and good work so far. 

1. How long were you running Gridcoin before you took a break for a few days? The 100% is made up of two things - 50% utilization which you probably have and 50% is total average daily credits which builds up 2-4 weeks. So maybe that few days break brought your average daily credits down.

2. Rob answered this question previously.

3. Try putting closeconhost=false into your gridcoin.con file to prevent it from hiding cmd prompts.

And thanks to you as well.  I will try the setting.  I am sure my average daily credits were at 2,700 still, and all i need is 1,000 for the first 50% gridcoin credit.  The second portion was supposed to be based on the CPU processing power.  I have a six (12 thread) machine and was devoting 10 processing threads to BOINC and left 2 threads for my GPUS and user-interface.  This at one time easily made up the other 50% gridcoin credit, so i was at 100% and getting the full 150 block reward.  I took a break for a few days and now once i started back up, after running for 5 hours.  My total gridcoin credit was only 65%.  Again, my boinc avg daily credit was 2,700.  so 10 cpu threads only accounted for 15 additional %?  As proof, if I pause BOINC processing, my gridcoin credit drops back to 50%.
Nthuse,

What version of Gridcoin do you have? You check it by clicking on the tab Help > About Gridcoin and it should be something like v1.1.5.x. I know the earlier version of the CPU mining was having issues sending out beacons. IIRC versions 1.1.5.6 and later should work so maybe/hopefully that's the issue.
You're talking about CPU mining and not GPU mining right? The link below has instructions on getting started on it.

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

If that's what you were talking about then you can ignore/close the "Mining Console" window. You need at least 0.5 GRC to get started though so if you don't have any GRC yet post your address and hopefully someone here will send you a couple.

Newb here. Can someone tell me how to do CPU mining? Boinc is open and doing work, but nothing's happening in the gridcoin mining console. I read the instructions on the gridcoin website, but I'm still confused. Do I have to integrate/configure a separate mining program even though the gridcoin wallet comes bundled with a mining console now?
Thanks in advance for your help!  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Wow that is a nice looking chart. Smiley
Activity: 124
Merit: 100
Thank you to all the people who joined the Gridcoin Boinc team in the past few days,

"To join a team, all you have to do is log into the project’s website with the credentials you used when adding it to your BOINC client, find the Team page, search for Gridcoin, and join! Be aware that not every project may support teams."

excellent
Activity: 644
Merit: 500
P2P The Planet!

Activity: 16
Another Noob here. I've been trying to get CPU mining working all week but have yet to get the client to send out the beacon to get me on the list of CPU miners.  I've followed AndrewP's tutorial (https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/) and read pretty much every post on this and other forums to try to figure this out for myself but seemingly have got nowhere. My Boinc utilization is 60% and Avg daily credits=204.

Gridcoin.conf file is:
server=1
rpcuser=gridcoinrpc
rpcpassword=GG6XHgjJYmzaSxAeRTeRRhC1g3Smgk1QDh
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcport=9332
cpumining=true
UpdatingLeaderboard=false
UpdatedLeaderboard=23/01/2014 19:54:01
Project1=107958
Project3=491999
Project5=1012899
boincappfolder=C:\Program Files\Boinc\

cgminer.conf is (not sure if I even need to set this for CPU mining):
"pools" : [
 {
   "url" : "127.0.0.1:9332",
   "user" : "gridcoinrpc",
   "pass" : "GG6XHgjJYmzaSxAeRTeRRhC1g3Smgk1QDh"
 }
]

CPU = Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B970 @ 2.30GHz
Project console - malaria control, Milkyway@home and Rosetta@home all have positive credits.
I've changed the wallet address receiving label to 'Default'

To date I've 'received' 6 unconfirmed transactions of either 0.00000167 or 0.00000267 GRC but I'm pretty sure they have nothing to do with mining and I haven't mined these.

IS there something really obvious that I'm missing? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm completely stuck!  Huh Grin
Activity: 13
Bingo,

I Think I understand why beacons are not sent out for certain CPU miners, since I encrypted my wallet I have this problem.

Rob, can that be the cause? Solutions?

Thx
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
the number near any project (es: rosetta@home) is the number of daily credits of that project, is it correct?

and this lines:
1)"Total Daily CPU Payments to your GRC Address" : "45.0800",
2)"Amount Earned" : "32.1302",

what do they mean?

my opinion:
1)my payout if i keep mining until the end of the day?
2)what i've jet gained?

is it correct?

Jump to: