Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 238. (Read 597386 times)

legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

Confirming the issue is fixed on the newest version by deleting "c:\programdata\boinc\gridcoin.dat" and restarting gridcoin

I can confirm this too (sorta).        Smiley

First a minor quibble - my pathname didn't use "C:" so the file to delete may or may not be on the C drive.

More interesting - I had not been getting the 50% problem until today, and this change did indeed fix it, but on restart I got a black screen briefly, presumably when the miner started, and a Windows message that the graphics driver (AMD Catalyst 13.9) had stopped working and recovered, followed by a message that the miner had encountered an error and Windows would close it. The Restart Miner button seemed to fix things, although the Full Speed checkbox toggle did not seem to work at first (a problem that had been fixed a while back, but may have returned).

All in all, everything seems to work again.

Nice catch on the 50% problem - that couldn't have been easy to find.

Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Shitcoin Maximalist
did you add the boinc install dir and data dir to gricoin.conf ?

I tried to give this a go last night. It took a while to get the client sync'd but figured that out eventually, then got BOINC installed and working ok.

When I try to run the QT again to try mining, however, it crashes on startup - every time. Any ideas?

Hmm no, didn't see this in the guide. How do I reference them in gridcoin.conf?

Thanks for your help.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
did you add the boinc install dir and data dir to gricoin.conf ?

I tried to give this a go last night. It took a while to get the client sync'd but figured that out eventually, then got BOINC installed and working ok.

When I try to run the QT again to try mining, however, it crashes on startup - every time. Any ideas?
Activity: 224
Shitcoin Maximalist

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

You don't mine at a lower difficulty, but you will receive a small piece of every block found.

The only requirement  is that you must find a block first to begin receiving payouts from the pool and you must find a block at least once every 100 blocks to stay in the pool or you will be removed from the pool until you find another block as the pool has a 100 block look-back period.

I'm not sure of the formula exactly, but basically the higher the difficulty the higher the look-back period is. 100 blocks is only about 4 hours's time and I know before when the difficulty was lower you only had to find a block once a day or so to stay in the pool. I think now it's more like one block every 2-4 days.

You'll have to wait for Rob to comment on the exact formula but basically unless you stop mining you shouldn't have to worry about staying in the pool once you're in and the pool also accounts for all the shares you submit while trying to get your first block. So for example it takes you 5 days to find a block and then you stop mining. You'll get small payments each time a pool miner finds a block for approximately the next 5 days and the total it adds up to should be about 150 GRC. At least that's how I understand it.
Yes the integrated pool is dynamic and works good; the lookback is now 8.2 days -- just do a "listminers" and the lookback is the 3rd row, in seconds.

Good luck,
Grid
Activity: 1666
Merit: 565
congratulation that hash rate of GRC now reach 70M.
It's hard to solomine now Undecided

how much hard? how much is your hashrate and how many blocks do you find at day?
legendary
If Gridcoin can implement a pay per share system that would be amazing.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250

You don't mine at a lower difficulty, but you will receive a small piece of every block found.

The only requirement  is that you must find a block first to begin receiving payouts from the pool and you must find a block at least once every 100 blocks to stay in the pool or you will be removed from the pool until you find another block as the pool has a 100 block look-back period.

I'm not sure of the formula exactly, but basically the higher the difficulty the higher the look-back period is. 100 blocks is only about 4 hours's time and I know before when the difficulty was lower you only had to find a block once a day or so to stay in the pool. I think now it's more like one block every 2-4 days.

You'll have to wait for Rob to comment on the exact formula but basically unless you stop mining you shouldn't have to worry about staying in the pool once you're in and the pool also accounts for all the shares you submit while trying to get your first block. So for example it takes you 5 days to find a block and then you stop mining. You'll get small payments each time a pool miner finds a block for approximately the next 5 days and the total it adds up to should be about 150 GRC. At least that's how I understand it.
legendary
Yes looks like difficulty is rising too. The days of easy Gridcoins are going away. Wink
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
NetworkHashPs:    78581872.00000.
now almost 80M in one hour.

LOL, what a coincidence, I just put up the guide an hour ago...
Activity: 124

If solo mining has become too hard for your hashrate, add the following line to your gridcoin.conf:
Code:
poolmining=true

and then continue as if you were solo mining, this will add you to gridcoin's internal pool system.

It's not stratum or anything like it(it doesn't splits the blocks for pool workers), so it dosn't make any sense  

NetworkHashPs:    78581872.00000.
now almost 80M in one hour.

If solo mining has become too hard for your hashrate, add the following line to your gridcoin.conf:
Code:
poolmining=true

and then continue as if you were solo mining, this will add you to gridcoin's internal pool system.

It's not stratum or anything like it(it doesn't splits the blocks for pool workers), so it dosn't make any sense  

Activity: 476

Code:
poolmining=true

Activity: 248

Slashka:  I'll be looking at the android e-mails from Leismith ASAP, please don't be discouraged; hopefully you two can create a new android repository asap.

Ok, Rob! Besides, I couldn't compile it Sad About repo. Will it be another one or a part of a official? Because I can create it in a second
Everyone please look over this guide and let me know if there's anything you feel is missing, unclear, etc...

Thanks!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4368640

Code:
poolmining=true

Activity: 406
I think we need a comprehensive instruction manual or some kind of video tutorial for the new people.

This is just way too difficult to set up.. i'm getting gray hairs already.
Agreed. Also we need "fan site kit" of Gridcoin — graphics and so on. Maybe it would be nice idea to appoint some bounties? This can force activity of community, what mean much for newly borned crypto currencies.
Activity: 476
Activity: 124
Just when I thought things were settling down; by checking the other forum I thought we were past the 50% problem.

I'm running 3 versions of boinc without a problem; old; newest and 7.0.0.64, (64 bit version), and I can't reproduce any problems with the newest version of gridcoin.

Have you tried deleting "c:\programdata\boinc\gridcoin.dat" and restarting gridcoin?
Have we tried removing some projects and testing Wcg + malaria?  Also press "Update" on the project?

I believe the only remaining issue may be a non-compatible stamp in the file above.  Please let me know.

Rob H.

Confirming the issue is fixed on the newest version by deleting "c:\programdata\boinc\gridcoin.dat" and restarting gridcoin

Excellent work Rob! Updating my guide...
Jump to: