Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 252. (Read 597344 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
All my wallet balances and transaction are way off with the new client. It is showing amounts on transactions that I have never done. Also the wallet is not showing anything mined after 12/5/2013. Very odd.

Merry X-mas everyone!

Just wanted to let Rob know I woke up this morning to find my client stalled again with the latest version.

My cgminer shows that it had a rejected block, three new blocks passed after that and then that is where the client stalled at, so it seems to be the same situation that someone else was having earlier.
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
Merry X-mas everyone!

Just wanted to let Rob know I woke up this morning to find my client stalled again with the latest version.

My cgminer shows that it had a rejected block, three new blocks passed after that and then that is where the client stalled at, so it seems to be the same situation that someone else was having earlier.
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
Merry Xmas all Cheesy
Activity: 130
Merit: 100
I've run into what appear to be some serious issues. The client appeared to have been restarting all night (the systray was still loaded with zombie icons)
I uninstalled, then installed the new version. Starting it, I received a critical error with the wallet regarding the db cursor.
Since the client would no longer start I removed all the files in the roaming directory again and got my backup wallet off my USB stick.

Now when I started the client it said 9 weeks out of date but then skipped synching. So the wallet no longer has an accessible balance.

First attempt indicated it might be forking, so I deleted the block chain and started again. The client appears to skip synching again.

Since I still have my wallet backup I'm not too worried about lost coins. Maybe just a little Tongue

Hopefully this is either an isolated or easily traced event.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
For me, The v1.1.4.5-g71-prod solves that problem.
Before that, my cgminer and guiminer kept being shut down.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
I have a problem since yesterday's upgrades: Cgminer keep being shutted down, i had to activate "ensure cgminer stays running unless paused or stopped in cgwatcher" option on CGWatcher to keep mining, but like that i can't finish blocks and my chance to mine succesfully dropped drastically.
Why gridcoin shut my external cgminer?

oh, and btw, merry Christmas mates!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
The new site design is amazing. Looks really good.

Web site upgraded:

http://www.gridcoin.us

Upgraded the block explorer to a new version of IIS.
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952
Grabbed the installer (it said 5.88). Ran OK, appears to be mining and "Up to date" showed 36908 on startup, now 36910. It terminated my other (ASIC) cgminer on startup. No problem, I'll restart it.

Edit: Update - after 13 hours it seems very stable and mining seems to be working. "Up to date" count is now 37208. No further interference with my BTC cgminer program that runs concurrently.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Web site upgraded:

http://www.gridcoin.us

Upgraded the block explorer to a new version of IIS.
Apparently we're not going to move past 36775, so I had to create a new version again:
  (This change worked in testnet; but obviously not going to work in prod).

I changed the checkpoint to block 36810, and now we're going to try something better; discard the orphan if it fails the boinc hash.

Please download the 1.1.4.5 Prod MSI or Upgrade.

Thanks,
Rob H.

Running 1.1.4.5 now. "Up to date" at 36842.

Edit: It didn't last. Got windows message Gridcoin-Qt has stopped working. Display showed "Up to date" at 36786(!).

Well after a couple more debug sessions in c++, I had to move it to 36850, and add a couple of preliminary checks to keep qt from crashing... I did make a couple of changes; if you have any problems with a crash; please upgrade to 5.87.

Finally, I see we moved past 36851; lets hope this is the last change.

Please grab the latest.

Rob H.

legendary
Apparently we're not going to move past 36775, so I had to create a new version again:

I changed the checkpoint to block 36810, and now we're going to try something better; discard the orphan if it fails the boinc hash.

Thanks,
Rob H.

Running 1.1.4.5 now. "Up to date" at 36842.

Edit: It didn't last. Got windows message Gridcoin-Qt has stopped working. Display showed "Up to date" at 36786(!).

Thanks,
Rob H.
Chainjoes.com
I can confirm that my external instance of cgminer is no longer crashing. I still get a bit of lag on intensity 13 with the internal miner so I'm scared to try my usual 18. For now I am using the external miner, I am gong to do some last minute Christmas shopping and when I return I will experiment with the higher intensity settings.

For now though, it does appear (at least to me) that the external miner crashes are over.
Chainjoes.com

Version 5.8.3 (1.1.4.4) is available for download:
You can type "upgrade" from the RPC for this version.

The following changes have been made:
1. We disabled the blockchain snapshot feature in hopes after block 36775 and a 51% majority upgrade the root sync issue will be fixed, and to alleviate the cgminer restart problem.
2. Fixed the communication with the cgminer API.
3. Added a CGMiner monitor checkbox, that will automatically restart the API if your mh/s drops to zero; it is checked once every 5 minutes.
4. Added a 25 second delay to initialize the miners so that the client can start quicker and smoother.
5. Fixed the close guiminer/close cgminer bug (IE we start the API once and only once, and monitor it once every 5 minutes).

Rob H.

PS - TribalBob-- The snapshot feature was the culprit for the Cgminer close problem; please try this version.  Also, the sluggishness bug "should" be fixed in this version; please update us.

We still have to wait for block 36775 to pass with 50% upgrading before we know for sure; lets cross our fingers.

Wow, that was quick! Good work Rob! The communication problem with the API being fixed should theoretically repair the sluggishness as well, correct...?

***Edit***

Wow, just realized you specifically mentioned that already, lol... Not sure how I missed it, sorry...
legendary
Also, my external cgminer is still crashing every 10 - 15 minutes even with "restartwallet=0" set.

Something similar has been happening to me. My separate instance of cgminer (mining BTC with USB ASICS) would shut down from time to time whenever I was also running the Gridcoin GPU miner. I recently noticed that when this happens, the Gridcoin mining module reports that the GPU MH/s rate has dropped to zero also. I'm now pretty sure that the Gridcoin miner stops first and takes the other instance of cgminer down with it. I can restart the Gridcoin miner with the Restart Miner button in the mining console. It always starts up at full speed but can be throttled back with repeated clicks of the Full Speed button.

Before using Gridcoin, I routinely ran two instances of cgminer, one for ASIC BTC mining and the other for scrypt LTC mining. They coexist without problems, so I'm pretty sure these problems originate with Gridcoin somehow.

Frequency of the crashes so far is from a couple of minutes to an hour apart. One lesson learned for me is to check the status of the Gridcoin miner whenever the other instance of cgminer crashes.

I see there is a new update to try, so I'll give it a shot.

Version 5.8.3 (1.1.4.4) is available for download:
You can type "upgrade" from the RPC for this version.

The following changes have been made:
1. We disabled the blockchain snapshot feature in hopes after block 36775 and a 51% majority upgrade the root sync issue will be fixed, and to alleviate the cgminer restart problem.
2. Fixed the communication with the cgminer API.
3. Added a CGMiner monitor checkbox, that will automatically restart the API if your mh/s drops to zero; it is checked once every 5 minutes.
4. Added a 25 second delay to initialize the miners so that the client can start quicker and smoother.
5. Fixed the close guiminer/close cgminer bug (IE we start the API once and only once, and monitor it once every 5 minutes).

Rob H.

PS - TribalBob-- The snapshot feature was the culprit for the Cgminer close problem; please try this version.  Also, the sluggishness bug "should" be fixed in this version; please update us.

We still have to wait for block 36775 to pass with 50% upgrading before we know for sure; lets cross our fingers.

Chainjoes.com
Also, my external cgminer is still crashing every 10 - 15 minutes even with "restartwallet=0" set.
Chainjoes.com
Ok, I'm not sure why, but my cgminer instance still causes my desktop to become very sluggish when I launch cgminer from inside the client... I will be working on troubleshooting this today...

***Edit***

Can you push the latest version of the source, thanks!

***Edit***

Ok, if I set the intensity lower (13) on the internal miner the sluggishness mostly goes away, but then I only get ~10Kh/s. I normally run cgminer on intensity of 18 with no problems.
Chainjoes.com
Reproduced:  You found it!  We are storing a mined stale block that does not validate the boinchash as an orphan; its propogating and getting stuck at the end of the blocks table.  The only workaround is to re-sync.  I think this is the whole problem.  I'll fix this and test now; will release a fix as soon as it is tested!

Thanks for finding this!

Rob H.

I am about 99% sure this will be the cause. Well done COINPRADER!
Chainjoes.com
I am trying to understand the BOINC projects panel in the client display. It seems to come preloaded with the names of five projects, a couple of which I sometimes use but have not been accepting tasks from in recent months. The WCG is not among them, and it happens to be the project I spend all my BOINC time on recently. Anyway, is this list customizable, and if so are there instructions for it somewhere that I have overlooked?

Please forgive my bumping this part of my earlier post. I'm still trying to make sense of the BOINC projects panel. I've found old tutorials, but they only show how to set up new BOINC project accounts (assuming that users are new to BOINC) and they refer only to project names hard-coded in the panel.

My situation differs somewhat. I've been using BOINC through BAM since 2009 and my projects were in place before I set up Gridcoin. I've found advice to add projects to the project panel but I've not found a way to do it. Also, the information I've seen advises replacing project IDs at each individual BOINC project home page with a Gridcoin payout addy. This seems onerous and would negate the advantage of dealing with BOINC projects through BAM. Does it really have to be like that or am I finding outdated advice?

In summary:

Is it necessary to use the project panel at all to mine Gridcoin and get credit for BOINC activity?

If so, is there an up-to-date tutorial link, especially one that shows how to enter pre-existing BOINC project data?

Is it really a requirement to enter a Gridcoin payout ID on each relevant BOINC project's home page? If so, explanation might make it a more palatable requirement.

Thanks - I'm getting there - I'm in the top 1% of BOINC users so I'd really like to help the Gridcoin effort.            Smiley

I should have linked this for you yesterday, sorry about that:

https://cryptocointalk.com/topic/1922-cpu-mining-tutorialtopic/

That link will explain what to do with the projects listed.

For the moment I believe those projects are the only ones which are eligible for the cpu mining pool but I think there are plans to add more.

For the time being, you can join just those projects or you can join other projects as well, it will not hurt your ability to solve blocks and get rewarded, but I think it may detract from your cpu mining earnings...
Jump to: