Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 255. (Read 597344 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
Don't fear Crypto Exchanges go with honest well kn
DO people not realize that all of these coins are just used to get the makers more btc? Pretty soon there is going to be so many that it's going to crash the internet with millions of blockchains. This is how it goes I make new coin get about 500 million of them get some people to start mining get it up on an exchange sell all my coins for btc and make a nice profit in a few months when I have traded all my coins I will abandon my purpose for making the coin as the purpose will be fulfilled. I understand the reasoning behind new coins because the difficulty has gotten so hi on the ones that are worth anything people are desperately hoping a new coin will give them the chance at what they missed out on that's why I went to Betacoin 11gh doesn't get you much with btc so I thought I would give another one a chance.
Activity: 128
Ok so I tried using cgminer from the command line instead of integrated one , now that too got stuck !! even when I type "getmininginfo" in the console it does not accept "Enter" key after that !! same as cgminer running in command prompt !! both are unresponsive ... so this in all probability must be the new version which is causing this !!

Honestly I am just getting fed up of this whole stuff .... I have invested about close to a $1000 in getting new equipment ... and as far as I see it : as of now it is going to waste !!

I soo want this project to succeed but we eventually keep running into mundane issues which are causing major problems in the community !!

Please Rob H., do something about this (maybe hire more people ?) ... I ask you in all earnesty.
Hi,

I need help urgently please .... my guiminer just closes after a few minutes !!
This did not happen before.

What should I do ? Please help I have been trying to troubleshoot it for the past 12 hours !!

I've been having this issue as well.  Thought i got it fixed by having miner restart after every 20 min. but nope still does it.  Not sure why, only after latest update has it done it. 

Yes this required an urgent fix. Makes no sense keeping the computer on for such long periods and eventually ending up doing nothing - which is totally opposite to the idea of Gridcoin itself !!

@joeykrug how do you set it restart automatically ?
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Hi,

What should I do ? Please help I have been trying to troubleshoot it for the past 12 hours !!

I've been having this issue as well.  Thought i got it fixed by having miner restart after every 20 min. but nope still does it.  Not sure why, only after latest update has it done it. 
Hi,

Activity: 130
Yay! After repeated tries and a reboot I finally got sync'd.

I installed the new cudaminer a few minutes ago and it's a huge performance boost. Up to 150 kh/s from 106 kh/s.
Definitely worth grabbing if you haven't already.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1001
Great to have you on our team Coinprader. Smiley

Team joined!

Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

You can join directly from Boinc too.

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go the better!

Join Today!
I would but I haven't been able to sync with the old versions at all for days. I'll just tough it out until another version comes along.

I uninstalled then did the fresh install, went into my roaming folder and cleared out the old files except for my conf and wallet.
Now when it tries to sync it gets about 10 days away and then it says something about a block chain snapshot and starts syncing from 9 weeks all over again. It loops this repeatedly.

Any way to stop it?

edit: Is this because my slow internet takes 20 minutes or more to sync and the client thinks it has failed?

You can try this. Go back to the previous version you were using, let that sync, and then do a fresh install but don't delete the roaming folder files. When I upgraded I kept the old block and chainstate folders and it seems to be doing fine.
Activity: 150
Team joined!

Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

You can join directly from Boinc too.

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go the better!

Join Today!
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
I uninstalled then did the fresh install, went into my roaming folder and cleared out the old files except for my conf and wallet.
Now when it tries to sync it gets about 10 days away and then it says something about a block chain snapshot and starts syncing from 9 weeks all over again. It loops this repeatedly.

Any way to stop it?

edit: Is this because my slow internet takes 20 minutes or more to sync and the client thinks it has failed?

You can try this. Go back to the previous version you were using, let that sync, and then do a fresh install but don't delete the roaming folder files. When I upgraded I kept the old block and chainstate folders and it seems to be doing fine.

Any way to stop it?

Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Dear Rob,

I had been waiting and waiting for curecoin, came across gridcoin the other day and I love the idea and you guys seem like a competent dev team (while curecoin has been delayed months). So I started mining gridcoin and while you're bug fixing tonight, I noticed a bug. On my computer even though boinc CPU usage is over 90%. Gridcoin only says I'm using 50%. My mom wanted to mine gridcoin so I set it up on her computer too and she has the same bug. Have you heard of this happening before?  Otherwise, props, this idea of mining blocks while getting bonuses is a very interesting way of integrating boinc and dist. computing into the POW. Thank you!

This probably has to do with the most recent update in which 50% of the weighting goes to the daily avg_credits accumulated over a 30 day period.  I believe it should go up as you continue on BOINC for a few days.
Hi  Joe,
Yes, it's the new 50-50 weighting; you have to try to increase your boinc_avg_daily_credits.  I'm currently running world community grid, Docking@home, rosetta and malaria (known to be working well) but feel free to try other projects.

Good luck,
Rob H.

The latest client is available (1.1.4.3 - 5.7.9) http://www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin.msi

Please download the MSI and do not use upgrade; this change required a change to the actual updater itself.

Changes:
1) The gridcoin-qt client : Not guaranteed to solve the sync issue, but we are hoping this is the problem.  The code had a hardcoded max inbound connection limit that was too low; has been doubled.  Also, the megahash protector had a bug in it that might have causes the net thread to stop; fixed.  We also modified the code that talks to foreign peers, thinking that the way it was, it was too easy for the client to talk to peers on foreign ports; this has been decreased.  I did confirm we were receiving closed connections when we exceeded a certain limit and confirmed this one issue is fixed.
2) Added a second explorer.gridcoin.us node for better stability.  It is now live and they both update the same database.
3) Added a snapshot feature to gridcoin in case #1 fails.  The client will make a snapshot of the chainstate/blocks folder in it's snapshot directory only if it can confirm the best block is equal to the network best block and both are > 100.  If so, a backup is made.
4) If the client finds it is out of sync with the network after 20 minutes, and it has a good snapshot, it will automatically replace the blocks/chainstate and restart and resync (this avoids an entire rebuild of the blockchain).  Tested.
5) There is a second debuglog debug2.log written to help find if #4 ever gets used or if #1 is fixed.

Good luck,
Rob Halford

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000
Dear Rob,

I had been waiting and waiting for curecoin, came across gridcoin the other day and I love the idea and you guys seem like a competent dev team (while curecoin has been delayed months). So I started mining gridcoin and while you're bug fixing tonight, I noticed a bug. On my computer even though boinc CPU usage is over 90%. Gridcoin only says I'm using 50%. My mom wanted to mine gridcoin so I set it up on her computer too and she has the same bug. Have you heard of this happening before?  Otherwise, props, this idea of mining blocks while getting bonuses is a very interesting way of integrating boinc and dist. computing into the POW. Thank you!

This probably has to do with the most recent update in which 50% of the weighting goes to the daily avg_credits accumulated over a 30 day period.  I believe it should go up as you continue on BOINC for a few days.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Dear Rob,

I found the reason the explorer keeps stalling-- there is a limit of 4 connections hardcoded in the client, and each standalone cgminer (or guiminer) takes up 1.  If the threads aren't recycled quick enough, it receives a connection refused.  For one, I'm going to expand that to 16.  I also found some potential problems in the client (now that we know the port number has nothing to do with the problem).
I'm going to debug this for the rest of the night and will release a new version later tonight.

Rob H.
Oh thanks Rob H.,

So is there any advantage other than syncing ?

Btw I am having syncing issues .. block explorer is showing 35590 whereas my client is showing 35606 (more than block explorer !!). What should I do ?

Thanks

The block explorer has stalled, pay no attention to it for the moment...

Oh ok did not know about that. Thanks. I tried rebuilding the whole chain again and then the application just kept crashing ... this gets really annoying  Sad

I hope these issues get sorted faster .. this is almost becoming a full time thing due to syncing issues !!
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
Oh thanks Rob H.,

Btw I am having syncing issues .. block explorer is showing 35590 whereas my client is showing 35606 (more than block explorer !!). What should I do ?

Thanks

The block explorer has stalled, pay no attention to it for the moment...
Oh thanks Rob H.,

Thanks
LOL, alternatively you could try just forwarding the listen port on your router (port 32760) which should also work.

What is the benefit of adding these nodes ?

And will the benefit work if i just portforward 32760 and do nothing else ?
We do have a few seed volunteer nodes built in (seed.gridcoin.us) and that has been tested; so you should be able to sync without them, but it may help you if for some reason your client is not finding the network.

Grid
Jump to: