Author

Topic: Gridcoin (GRC) - first coin utilizing BOINC - Official Thread - page 256. (Read 597344 times)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100
LOL, alternatively you could try just forwarding the listen port on your router (port 32760) which should also work.

What is the benefit of adding these nodes ?

And will the benefit work if i just portforward 32760 and do nothing else ?
Activity: 1288
Merit: 257
Chainjoes.com
The new version is available

I'm trying Gridcoin for the first time - stumbled onto this thread and was keen to try it out since I'm a regular user of both BOINC and crypto. I casually ran qt from the msi download and it instantly terminated the two command line instances of cgminer I was running at the time (one of 3.7.2 for LTC and one of 3.8.5 for BTC). Oops - not a good time to be casual.

I started over more carefully, but some 30 minutes into what I thought would be a routine run to update the blockchain I'm still seeing "No block source available" and "nine weeks behind" and "0 active connections to Gridcoin network". Is this delay normal? Am I  just spoiled by the relatively quick connections with LTC and BTC? Have I overlooked something obvious?

I'm using Win7 64, and I stopped all instances of cgminer (and BOINC) before the present run.

Thanks for any advice.

Try this in your gridcoin.conf (specifically the addnodes):
Code:
rpcuser=YourUsername
rpcpassword=YourPassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
server=1
poolmining=false
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27
addnode=66.187.94.194
addnode=76.74.177.224
addnode=84.125.196.167
addnode=71.233.139.62
addnode=72.92.48.105

Thanks - I'll check it out (suppressing twitches at direct addys). Gotta really pay attention now.        Smiley

LOL, alternatively you could try just forwarding the listen port on your router (port 32760) which should also work.
legendary
Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013
Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

I'm trying Gridcoin for the first time - stumbled onto this thread and was keen to try it out since I'm a regular user of both BOINC and crypto. I casually ran qt from the msi download and it instantly terminated the two command line instances of cgminer I was running at the time (one of 3.7.2 for LTC and one of 3.8.5 for BTC). Oops - not a good time to be casual.

I started over more carefully, but some 30 minutes into what I thought would be a routine run to update the blockchain I'm still seeing "No block source available" and "nine weeks behind" and "0 active connections to Gridcoin network". Is this delay normal? Am I  just spoiled by the relatively quick connections with LTC and BTC? Have I overlooked something obvious?

I'm using Win7 64, and I stopped all instances of cgminer (and BOINC) before the present run.

Thanks for any advice.

Code:
rpcuser=YourUsername
rpcpassword=YourPassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
server=1
poolmining=false
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27
addnode=66.187.94.194
addnode=76.74.177.224
addnode=84.125.196.167
addnode=71.233.139.62
addnode=72.92.48.105

Thanks - I'll check it out (suppressing twitches at direct addys). Gotta really pay attention now.        Smiley

Edit: your advice worked - thanks again. I found a few other issues afterwards but things generally seem to be working now. I'll try optimizing my 7970 next - it's pretty slow with the basic settings, and with the "Full Speed" button clicked it brings my Core i7 to its knees for the first time in its sheltered life - multi-second delays just to move the cursor across the screen. Fun to work on, actually.
Chainjoes.com

I started over more carefully, but some 30 minutes into what I thought would be a routine run to update the blockchain I'm still seeing "No block source available" and "nine weeks behind" and "0 active connections to Gridcoin network". Is this delay normal? Am I  just spoiled by the relatively quick connections with LTC and BTC? Have I overlooked something obvious?

Thanks for any advice.

Code:
rpcuser=YourUsername
rpcpassword=YourPassword
rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
server=1
poolmining=false
addnode=98.114.181.178
addnode=76.187.184.27
addnode=66.187.94.194
addnode=76.74.177.224
addnode=84.125.196.167
addnode=71.233.139.62
addnode=72.92.48.105
legendary

Thanks for any advice.

legendary

It seems that when I use the dll's/exe from my older version (2.10.4) it works just fine but if I copy the files from your version (3.1.0) or the latest version (3.8.5) it does not work... Strange...

But for now, I have it working with my older version of cgminer.

Support for scrypt mining stopped after cgminer version 3.7.2. Latest versions such as 3.8.5 are for BTC mining only.

Chainjoes.com
Hmmm, I can't seem to get the settings quite right, when I run cgminer from inside gridcoin I get a LOT more lag than what I am used to.

I will have to see if I can find a sample config file for the HD 5870 that I can use instead of trying to convert my command line options into a viable config file...

I will mess with that later, for now I am just going to use my cgminer externally...
Chainjoes.com
For now as a stopgap, find your working cgminer folder, and copy the .dll's and the .exe from there into cgminer0, but keep the cgm0 config file, and then it should start using the curl version that other exe likes Smiley

Good luck,
Rob H.

This might be a 64-bit or 32-bit issue;

It seems that when I use the dll's/exe from my older version (2.10.4) it works just fine but if I copy the files from your version (3.1.0) or the latest version (3.8.5) it does not work... Strange...

But for now, I have it working with my older version of cgminer.
Activity: 364
Merit: 252
Bob,
Try going to the command line and cd into the cgminer0 folder, and launch the cgminer.exe the way you normally do to isolate it, to see if its the cgminer settings or the cgminer.exe.
If that doesn't work, re-execute cgminer 10 times from the command line (there is a known bug that cgminer sometimes will not run the first time while compiling new video kernels).
Use the command:
cgminer -c cgm0
to re-execute 10 times (that launches it with the gridcoin cgm0 config file).
If that doesn't work, try to copy your cgminer.exe that does work into the cgminer0 folder, and try again, since that obviously works, once it is working, it should then work from Gridcoin.

Good luck,
Grid

Ok, I tried launching many times from command line, no dice.

I tried copying my cgminer.exe (which is from a different version) and got "missing libcurl-4.dll" error, copied libcurl-4.dll into the folder, re-launched and now get "--scrypt : unrecognized option".

I tried downloading the same version of cgminer used in Gridcoin (version 3.1.0) and tried copying over the exe from that version and get the exact same error as when I use the exe packaged with Gridcoin...
For now as a stopgap, find your working cgminer folder, and copy the .dll's and the .exe from there into cgminer0, but keep the cgm0 config file, and then it should start using the curl version that other exe likes Smiley

Good luck,
Rob H.

This might be a 64-bit or 32-bit issue;
Chainjoes.com
Bob,
Try going to the command line and cd into the cgminer0 folder, and launch the cgminer.exe the way you normally do to isolate it, to see if its the cgminer settings or the cgminer.exe.
If that doesn't work, re-execute cgminer 10 times from the command line (there is a known bug that cgminer sometimes will not run the first time while compiling new video kernels).
Use the command:
cgminer -c cgm0
If that doesn't work, try to copy your cgminer.exe that does work into the cgminer0 folder, and try again, since that obviously works, once it is working, it should then work from Gridcoin.

Good luck,
Grid

Ok, I tried launching many times from command line, no dice.

I tried copying my cgminer.exe (which is from a different version) and got "missing libcurl-4.dll" error, copied libcurl-4.dll into the folder, re-launched and now get "--scrypt : unrecognized option".

I tried downloading the same version of cgminer used in Gridcoin (version 3.1.0) and tried copying over the exe from that version and get the exact same error as when I use the exe packaged with Gridcoin...
I followed all the steps for the integrated cgminer but am getting this error:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event  "pools" : ["gpu-platform" : "0",
"device" : "0"
}

Usually I launch cgminer with:
Code:
cgminer --scrypt -o http://127.0.0.1:2703 -u MyUser -p MyPass --thread-concurrency 8000 -I 18 -g 1 -w 256 --gpu-engine 875 --gpu-memclock 1250 --gpu-fan 100

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Bob,
Use the command:
cgminer -c cgm0

Good luck,
Grid
Chainjoes.com
I followed all the steps for the integrated cgminer but am getting this error:
Code:
Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
  Application Name: cgminer.exe
  Application Version: 0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp: 517d4469
  Fault Module Name: cgminer.exe
  Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
  Fault Module Timestamp: 517d4469
  Exception Code: c0000005
  Exception Offset: 000266be
  OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
  Locale ID: 1033
  Additional Information 1: 0a9e
  Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3: 0a9e
  Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Here is my cgminer0.conf:
Code:
{
  "pools" : [
      {
          "url" : "http://127.0.0.1:2703/",
          "user" : "c4n10",
          "pass" : "1ritchchinobi"
  }
],
"api-listen" : true,
"api-port" : "4000",
"api-allow" : "W:127.0.0.1",
"intensity" : "18",
"vectors" : "1",
"worksize" : "256",
"kernel" : "scrypt",
"scrypt" : true,
"lookup-gap" : "2",
"thread-concurrency" : "8000",
"gpu-engine" : "875",
"gpu-memclock" : "1250",
"temp-cutoff" : "80",
"temp-overheat" : "70",
"temp-target" : "60",
"gpu-fan" : "100",
"gpu-threads" : "1",
"temp-hysteresis" : "3",
"gpu-platform" : "0",
"device" : "0"
}

Usually I launch cgminer with:
Code:
cgminer --scrypt -o http://127.0.0.1:2703 -u MyUser -p MyPass --thread-concurrency 8000 -I 18 -g 1 -w 256 --gpu-engine 875 --gpu-memclock 1250 --gpu-fan 100

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
maybe a good idea
The new version is available using the new port number:

Gridcoin 1.1.4.2 - 5.7.8 release notes:

1) Changed the global production node port for Gridcoin to 32760.
2) Changed the Testnet port to 32759.
3) To find a solution to support an integrated miner from an IT standpoint
and new user standpoint that will allow us to implement scrypt-sleep,
enable/disable gpus, change intensity, support multiple card platforms,
configure cards with thread concurrencies > 8192, we added support for CGMiner and the CGMiner API.

The CGMiner-api allows us to do all this and provides comm for GUI status updates.

Step by step instructions to configure CGMiner integrated with GridCoin:

(Note if you were running the beta version with gridcoinminer, bring up each instance and change the settings to
cgminers settings and re-save the records).
a. Launch gridcoin.  Click on the mining console.  Click on "Configuration".
b. You should see a list of available cards.  Select one of your GPU cards.
c. Check the Load Defaults dropdown to see if your card is available.  If it is, select
the item and the defaults will populate.  If not type in the values from guiminer.
Check Enabled if you would like that card to be enabled.
Click Save.
For each new card, we will create a cgminer directory in ~AppData\CgminerX\ (where X is the instance ID from 0-5).
Click 'Create CG Miner instance' and the program will copy the necessary cgminer files to the proper place and will
create a cgminer config file.
Yes, you may modify this "cgmX" file with additional settings such as
GPU overdriving, overclocking mem, fan settings etc.
One thing to note is gridcoin automatically enables the
API port in the configuration file starting with port 4000 (for device 0) for the local machine only (for security reasons).

If you are a power user and you overwrite the cgminer subdirectory with your own cgminer folder, you will
need to add these two settings back into your cgmX configuration file, otherwise Gridcoin will not communicate with cgminer.
Continue steps b-c until all cards are configured.
Close the Miner Settings window.
Click Restart Miner and allow time for cgminer to compile all of the kernels.
After this, you should be able to mine with the integrated cgminer-api inside gridcoin.

d. If gridcoin detects a guiminer folder, it will still attempt to use it and send focus to the guiminer tab.
e. If gridcoin detects "enabled" cgminer instances, focus will be sent there.
f. To disable guiminer, rename the folder to "guiminer_old" (or anything other than guiminer), and gridcoin will ignore it.
g. Gridcoin now has a command line interface in the mining module to send commands to cgminers api (for advanced users).
  Once mining, and your hashrates are above zero, you can type:
  summary 0 (where 0 is the cgminer instance id) and receive results; etc.
h. The Full Speed checkbox will allow you to toggle the CGMiner speed from 60% to 100%.
i. The Mining Enabled Checkbox will disable cgminer and re-enable cgminer.
j. Note: The Kh/S rates are cgminers "Mh/S Avg", and at this time we are not yet accessing the "Mh/S Current"
  so you may see a slow decline in hash rates when you make changes.  
  If you restart the miners, the changes will be isntant.

k. You may still use any scrypt compatible miner with Gridcoin as usual, and sleep is not implemented.

4.  Homogenized Reward Calculation :

The calculation was modified to put 50% weight on the "Boinc Avg Daily Credits" (as shown in the GUI) to
put more weight on the Berkeley PoW earned by projects.

50% of the weight goes to the processor/memory utilization under the old formula.
50% of the weight goes to the daily avg_credits accumulated over a 30 day period.

If your current avg_credits are above 3000, they are capped @ 3000 per day.
The credits are divided by 10 to arrive at a number between 0-300.  This number is then averaged into the utilization above to arrive at the 5-150 grc reward.
A few examples of the new calculation:

100% processor/memory used by boinc + 1000 avg daily credits = Boinc Utilization (100 +  100 (/2) = 100) = 150 grc  
100% proc/mem utilization by boinc + 500 avg daily credits = Boinc Utilization (100 + 50     (/2) = 75)  = 112.5 grc
50% proc/memory utilization by boinc + 1000 Avg Daily Credits = Boinc Utilization (50+100(/2)=75) = 112.5 grc
50% proc/memory utilization by boinc + 500 avg daily credits = Boinc Utilization (50+50)/2 = 50 = 75 grc.

5. HouseCleaning error is fixed.
6. Rebuild Block Chain button (from the beta version) still available.
7. Moved the Mh/S chart into the cgminer area.
8. Seed node updates: www.gridcoin.us has been updated to use port 32760.
a. If you are a seed node, please update your router passthrough port from 9778 to 32760.

9. For this update, please install from the gridcoin.msi from:
http://www.gridcoin.us/download/gridcoin.msi
(new files exist, therefore 'upgrade' will not work).
 As usual, unblock the download, save it, run as admin.
 If you discover the mining module is missing, relaunch the MSI and click repair (not likely).

All the best, and good luck!

Grid

PS - The bitcoin "in wallet message" is enabled; has not been tested; A supermajority must upgrade to this version before we can tell if it worked Smiley......

A user asked about uninstalling the old version first:
Please delete c:\program files (x86)\gridcoin\*.*
You may leave AppData files in place, no need to delete the blocks or database unless you have syncing issues in the future.

No need to change the port in the gridcoin.conf, this node port is compiled into the program.

Chainjoes.com
Soooo, should we be upgrading yet...?
legendary
Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020
I was diagnosed with brain parasite
I just wanted to let everyone know in advance.

In wallet messages, please, Jesus....
Chainjoes.com
90 minutes to global upgrade, right...?
Hi Bob,

45 more minutes and I'll put out a new version.

Thanks,
Grid

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up!
Hi Bob,

45 more minutes and I'll put out a new version.

Thanks,
Grid
Chainjoes.com
legendary
Activity: 1354
Merit: 1020
I was diagnosed with brain parasite
Make sure to join Team Gridcoin @ the world community grid. http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamInfo.do?teamId=BBNGDQS832

You can join directly from Boinc too.

We have already jumped a few thousand spots with all the recent influx of new people joining. The higher we go the better!

Join Today!

Bye bye RippleLabs...
Jump to: