Pages:
Author

Topic: Grin Observer - GRN/BTC - Price Movement and Discussion - page 51. (Read 19527 times)

Activity: 1190
Merit: 755
Homo Sapiens Bitcoinerthalensis
You dont think the Monero forum might have a certain bias do you?

What on earth makes you say that? Roll Eyes
On Grin live yesterday, the highlight was that French fucker, explaining how/what to mine. Wink
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174
Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist
You dont think the Monero forum might have a certain bias do you?

Starting to look like the window is the preferred option

I have my doubts about the long term prospects of Grin.

Those hybrid FPGA's already?

LOL, if Mimblewimble is so shitty, why is Fluffy Poni planning on using it on a sidechain?   Cheesy

I'm guessing that either an FPGA sort, or Nicehash support, or a private miner (or all three) already exists.
A private Nicehash tweak, would be the easiest of the three, whilst building on ASICS & FPGA's.

Monero maybe wants to support their ASIC resistance argument. Or not. Wink
Morning Grin lovers.

My concern is how much Grin to buy at the bottom.
I do love my BTC.
That said, Grin has contributed a little over 0.1BTC for roughly 10 days of mining (~$50 power costs).
Booya. I'm fucking rich.

#

Climb the stairs or jump out the window.

Em, lobby please dear Sir Grin
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 2174
Degenerate bull hatter & Bitcoin monotheist

Choose your own adventure.  Climb the stairs or jump out the window.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1827

Well, I believe the person that made the argument is mistaken that you can't implement mimblewimble with cold wallets. From my understanding, the sender and receiver can both have their private keys on air gapped computers and just need to relay the needed files to each other via other means, including carrier pigeon if they want. Then the sender just needs to send the tx via a hot node.

I believe you are correct. Smiley

My main concern with the coin at the moment is the inflation. 1 coin per second seems a bit much. Unfortunately, I am only mining this with 1 single 1070, so I don't even have a coin, yet.  Cry
legendary
Activity: 1819
Merit: 5547
Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser
Have you tried c31 Bob?
I still think it will be marginally more profitable for our hardware.

I would like to try C31, but AFAIK, no Windows support at present, and don't feel motivated enough to get that linux mining image configured on a USB stick.
legendary
Activity: 3780
Merit: 4842
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
From the Monero Speculation Thread:

I posted a brief Grin (MimbleWimble) versus Monero comparison on Reddit yesterday:

There are a few aspects on which one can compare Monero and Grin, I'll discuss several of them.

Privacy:

MimbleWimble is essentially Monero minus ring signatures. As a result, an active observer is able to draw a transaction graph and easily trace outputs.

Scaling:

MimbleWimble's scaling is often praised significantly. However, in comparison to a pruned Monero chain it is not significant in my opinion. In Monero, a pruned node has to basically retain the transaction output set plus the key images, whereas in Grin the node essentially prunes automatically and merely retains the unspent transaction output set. Note that, in Monero, an unspent transaction output set does not exist, because an observer cannot reasonably determine which outputs are spent.

Usability:

Grin is interactive, which, in a nutshell, means that both the sender and the recipient have to be online to properly send transaction. As a result, cold storage is, as far as I know, not viable currently.

Lastly, note that Tari, a MimbleWimble implementation, is planned to be added to Monero as side-chain.

LOL, if Mimblewimble is so shitty, why is Fluffy Poni planning on using it on a sidechain?   Cheesy

I don't think anyone is saying its shitty, there are just trade offs to different approaches. I'm sure grin will address the issues where it currently lacks as XMR is apparently adding it as a sidechain for Huh I'm not sure why actually. Smiley

Well, I believe the person that made the argument is mistaken that you can't implement mimblewimble with cold wallets. From my understanding, the sender and receiver can both have their private keys on air gapped computers and just need to relay the needed files to each other via other means, including carrier pigeon if they want. Then the sender just needs to send the tx via a hot node.

I believe you are correct. Smiley
legendary

I posted a brief Grin (MimbleWimble) versus Monero comparison on Reddit yesterday:

There are a few aspects on which one can compare Monero and Grin, I'll discuss several of them.

Privacy:

MimbleWimble is essentially Monero minus ring signatures. As a result, an active observer is able to draw a transaction graph and easily trace outputs.

Scaling:

MimbleWimble's scaling is often praised significantly. However, in comparison to a pruned Monero chain it is not significant in my opinion. In Monero, a pruned node has to basically retain the transaction output set plus the key images, whereas in Grin the node essentially prunes automatically and merely retains the unspent transaction output set. Note that, in Monero, an unspent transaction output set does not exist, because an observer cannot reasonably determine which outputs are spent.

Usability:

Grin is interactive, which, in a nutshell, means that both the sender and the recipient have to be online to properly send transaction. As a result, cold storage is, as far as I know, not viable currently.

Lastly, note that Tari, a MimbleWimble implementation, is planned to be added to Monero as side-chain.

LOL, if Mimblewimble is so shitty, why is Fluffy Poni planning on using it on a sidechain?   Cheesy

I don't think anyone is saying its shitty, there are just trade offs to different approaches. I'm sure grin will address the issues where it currently lacks as XMR is apparently adding it as a sidechain for Huh I'm not sure why actually. Smiley

legendary

Privacy:

Scaling:

Usability:

LOL, if Mimblewimble is so shitty, why is Fluffy Poni planning on using it on a sidechain?   Cheesy

legendary

Privacy:

Scaling:

Usability:

legendary
Activity: 1819
Merit: 5547
Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser
An Observation / Thought: Based on my mining experiences over the last 48 hours, with - seemingly - a dramatic rise in hash-rate and difficulty, coupled with it being an entirely new speculative asset, I don't see how the current >$10 valuation holds.

In my mind, this shit is worth closer to $0.25-$0.50 USD / GRIN.

Having said that, I'm hodling and continue to acquire what I can, at a trickle, via mining on a single GPU.

Had a silly idea to build myself a 2080ti rig, but, well... fuck it. I just don't want the noise and hassle at this stage of my life.
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 2780
Shitcoin Minimalist

Privacy:

Scaling:

Usability:

legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 1406
It's going to be tough to keep the price this high with the coins being minted as fast as they are.  Be an interesting watch over the next month to see if buying demand can keep up.
legendary

HAH, coinmarketcap recommends crypto.com to buy grin and in order to buy it there you must

You'll need:

An email address
    A phone number
    One identification document

LOL

You never know. Beta squared. Chinese Dev's do work 25h a day  Tongue
Need more samples.
legendary
Do not look to Monero for correlations as the original bytecoin miner was crippled and there was a mining cartel using a non crippled one and dumping.

Funny you should say that,

The flippening:
https://files.gitter.im/grin_community/Lobby/dQQL/telegram-cloud-file-1-806624875-56454--4390025447372503660.jpg

#

Have you tried c31 Bob?

Those hybrid FPGA's already?
Do not look to Monero for correlations as the original bytecoin miner was crippled and there was a mining cartel using a non crippled one and dumping.

Funny you should say that,

The flippening:
https://files.gitter.im/grin_community/Lobby/dQQL/telegram-cloud-file-1-806624875-56454--4390025447372503660.jpg

#

Have you tried c31 Bob?
legendary
I was looking at some Monero charts.
It seems that Monero ANN was on 25/04/2014, but CMC & Coingecko don't have any info before the 21/05/2014.
Either way, price data on the charts is one month after the genesis block.

That said,

Bullish.

Told you guys this'd be even better than HoweyCoins!

(But seriously, these prices are extremely unlikely to be long-term-stable IMO.)

That was my favorite coin launch bar none!
^. Actually the bottom so far - according to Coingecko - has been ~$2.31 on the 20th of this month.
Pages:
Jump to: