Pages:
Author

Topic: [Group buy #3] OPEN GRIDSEED miner BTC/PP/WU worldwide - page 2. (Read 11239 times)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Le sigh - thought I was getting part of my order today... but couldnt be held hostage inside the house due to the nice weather and since they are "signature required" looks like I lose another two days..
Activity: 17
Merit: 0
Is there any further update on the next 300 units? If the order still has a "pending" status I assume that it means it is being shipped with the second 300?

I got tracking for second 300 and they're going to be arriving monday or tuesday by DHL if your order is still pending that means you are in the second half of the 300 units.

Great news, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1058
The OGz Club
Is there any further update on the next 300 units? If the order still has a "pending" status I assume that it means it is being shipped with the second 300?

I got tracking for second 300 and they're going to be arriving monday or tuesday by DHL if your order is still pending that means you are in the second half of the 300 units.
Activity: 29
How do we know if we were in the first 300?  I am going on a business trip soon and I'm worried that I won't receive the units on time.
Units just came in only a hour ago you'll see tracking info tomorrow.

Updates on tracking info ?

First 300 were sent out I'm adding tracking info on all accounts on the store the remaining shipment is coming within the next 2-3 days.

Rgr that - thanks for the update.
legendary
The OGz Club

First 300 were sent out I'm adding tracking info on all accounts on the store the remaining shipment is coming within the next 2-3 days.

Thanks for the update. I sent you an email.
legendary
The OGz Club
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
Thanks for the update M.  Unfortunately the miner hardware market has taken a hit along with the btc price.  It's just bad luck that the market has corrected when we made this order.
legendary
The OGz Club
I put the SCRIPTA distro on my RasPi and got it preconfigured as much as I could, but I'm hearing there are issues with chaining large USB hubs together. In other words, if you need more than two hubs you might want to set up another Pi.

The Pi can only handle hubs 2 levels deep. As far as I can tell, the max number of ports at a given level is 7. So, if you have a single level 7 port hub, you can plug 7 into that, and have 49 miners on one Pi USB port. The Pi has 2 USB ports, so, in theory, you can put up to 98 miners on one Pi.

When USB 1.1 was released, and even 2.0, the maximum devices of 127 seemed laughable.  (Who would ever need more than 640KB of RAM?!)

I was never able to realize why someone would find it useful to have 127 slow devices connected in this way.  Since I can readily envision a large Gridseed farm, it amazes me this max is finally being realized in something useful besides research!

I will have the first half of the shipment arriving this monday. However the cords I ordered which originally I was not going to include but with the recent price cut shortly after my group buy closed I decided to include them to help compensate. I want everyone who ordered to know that my group buy did not profit me a single penny and has actually cost me a rather large sum of my own personal funds which is not including shipping costs. I am doing everything to make it right for you guys which is why I was able to offer such a cheap price prior to the price cut. I was not informed of the recent price cuts and feel slightly cheated myself.

If you would like your units shipped today without power cords send a email with your order ID # to [email protected] for in store credit redemption on the cost of the cords and a in store coupon as well on the few over stock units from refunds I have had to submit. My live chat will be online from now until about 1:30pm EST which I estimate is when they arrive so you will have to contact me before then.

My second half of the 300 ordered will be coming in by about thurs-friday as well. If I decide to do another group buy I have ironed out all the kinks and issues which caused delayed times with this group buy. I will be sending out each shipment in the order they were received.

My next thing regarding controllers for the raspberry PI. I will not be able to get any wholesale units in a reasonable time limit for the ones who have a free wibox in their order and do not need a RPI please contact me as I will offer reimbursement. The RPi will ship seperate from the gridseeds.

Activity: 26
I put the SCRIPTA distro on my RasPi and got it preconfigured as much as I could, but I'm hearing there are issues with chaining large USB hubs together. In other words, if you need more than two hubs you might want to set up another Pi.

The Pi can only handle hubs 2 levels deep. As far as I can tell, the max number of ports at a given level is 7. So, if you have a single level 7 port hub, you can plug 7 into that, and have 49 miners on one Pi USB port. The Pi has 2 USB ports, so, in theory, you can put up to 98 miners on one Pi.

When USB 1.1 was released, and even 2.0, the maximum devices of 127 seemed laughable.  (Who would ever need more than 640KB of RAM?!)

I was never able to realize why someone would find it useful to have 127 slow devices connected in this way.  Since I can readily envision a large Gridseed farm, it amazes me this max is finally being realized in something useful besides research!
2) Are the "cords" ordered power cords for the gridseeds?  Are these the 2.1mm barrel connectors to PCIe power connector for each GridSeed?
Scrypt only meaning the cord is 18awg?
This is more of an educated guesstimate, but after looking at the website in question, I think this has less to do with the gauge of the wiring and more to do with connectors and current limits. The issue is the cabling splits off - there's a 1:1 connection to PCIe power, then a splitter cable connects to that and branches off to multiple GridSeeds. The wiring involved should all be capable of handling the draw from a single unit (In mixed mode), but the issue arises because you've got four or five (or more!) units drawing a combined several hundred watts through a single PCIe connector and barrel plug. The PCIe isn't rated for that, the barrel plug sure as hell isn't rated for that, and the cable not being rated for that is actually probably the least of your worries.

You are correct that all components must support the VA; barrel plug, PCIe.

You are also correct my question was definitely poor.  I didn't put very much effort into the question so it was hard to answer.  I also didn't bother to checkout the product.   I was wondering the awg so I could reuse the plugs and directly wire to PSU rail.

I'll just document what I found out here for others. 

It looks like what may be received is:
1x PCIe to 3x barrel connectors
Depending on what the barrel and awg are rated to draw, it's *possible* it is enough to run in dual-mining.

If more than 3 gridseeds, a 1-to-4 barrel splitter may be provided.  Meaning it could support up to 12 Gridseeds per PCIe connector.
1x PCIe to 3x barrel connectors to 3x 1-to-4 barrel splitters = 12 potential barrels per PCIe power plug

A PSU providing a PCIe 3.0 power plug can support at least 300W, but this is distributed across 2 plugs, providing a max of about 150W per plug.  Supporting more than that is dependent on how much amperage can be provided by the PSU's 12V rail.  Each 6-pin connector supports ~150W (3 conductors @ 12V each, drawing a max of 4.16 amps each (or maybe it is 2 conductors @12V drawing 8A...)

Each Gridseed, without overclocking, draws 7W if Scrypt-mining, and 60W if SHA256-mining or dual-mining.

So each PCIe 3.0 connector should be connected to, at most, 2 Gridseeds, for reliable, safe operation in a dual or SHA256-mining rig.
These estimates, are usually conservative, so if you do *not* overclock, you may be OK for 3 Gridseeds in dual/SHA256 operation.

If scrypt-mining, components specified must support
7W (1 Gridseed): 1-to-4 barrel wire + barrel to GridSeed
28W (4 Gridseed): PCIe-to-3 wire + barrel split
84W (12 Gridseed): PCIe plug + wire back to PSU

If SHA256 or dual-mining
60W: "
240W: "
720W: "

Note that 4 Gridseeds far exceeds the PCIe spec, and if you connect 12 Gridseeds to dual-mine be sure to have a camera recording to capture what happens when you turn the system on.  Also, older PCIe revisions only supported 75W per connector in the spec, so be aware when connecting to older PSUs.  And know your PSU rail support.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100

Activity: 83
2) Are the "cords" ordered power cords for the gridseeds?  Are these the 2.1mm barrel connectors to PCIe power connector for each GridSeed?
This is more of an educated guesstimate, but after looking at the website in question, I think this has less to do with the gauge of the wiring and more to do with connectors and current limits. The issue is the cabling splits off - there's a 1:1 connection to PCIe power, then a splitter cable connects to that and branches off to multiple GridSeeds. The wiring involved should all be capable of handling the draw from a single unit (In mixed mode), but the issue arises because you've got four or five (or more!) units drawing a combined several hundred watts through a single PCIe connector and barrel plug. The PCIe isn't rated for that, the barrel plug sure as hell isn't rated for that, and the cable not being rated for that is actually probably the least of your worries.
The wiibox's would have been a delayed and I was informed that they are inefficient they will come with a SD card and RPI no case and power supply cord.

I ordered cords from bobsbitcoinsupply.com that will be included with the miners who didnt purchase single unit PSU. His cords will work in scrypt only mode.

Thank you Maidak!  My purchase was a lot of money (for me) so I really appreciate the extra effort you are putting forth and communicating it!

Two questions:

1) "no case and power supply cord" meaning no case, AND no RasPi power supply cord, right?

2) Are the "cords" ordered power cords for the gridseeds?  Are these the 2.1mm barrel connectors to PCIe power connector for each GridSeed?
Activity: 83
The wiibox's would have been a delayed and I was informed that they are inefficient they will come with a SD card and RPI no case and power supply cord.

I ordered cords from bobsbitcoinsupply.com that will be included with the miners who didnt purchase single unit PSU. His cords will work in scrypt only mode.
Fantastic, thanks.
legendary
The OGz Club
They had to ship in 2 seperate batches I'll see the first batch either fri-sat or monday then the second one the day after. I've been eagerly waiting myself to get these here asap.
As these are soon to arrive, can you please clarify exactly what we should expect? You've made a bunch of "I'm looking into...." statements, but no actual "This is what you're getting" statements.

I'm specifically wondering about:
1) Power connectors - you said you were looking at including barrel plug terminals
2) Controllers - Still getting the Wiibox, or getting RasbPis? If Rasbpis, what all are coming with them? (Powersupply, SD card, case, etc etc)

Activity: 9
Pages:
Jump to: