Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S3 Setup [HD] - page 10. (Read 137369 times)

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1318
Technical Analyst/Trader
Thanks Dogie! First-time miner here and got up and running in minutes using your guide. Only delay was a thin plastic coating on my paperclip keeping it from working on the PSU. Fixed it with a metal clip from my RC cars

Very familiar with the plastic paper clip covering.  I wasted approximately 6 hours [Along with a lot of hair pulled out] because of those damn things.  LOL   Grin

By the way, I thought I would share my progress on my new mining closet built downstairs and offer details about the firmware updates and the advantages of getting your rig to the January 09, 2015 update to be able to under clock your S3 to make them more power efficient and to enjoy a much faster interface.  I updated 13 S3+'s and 5 S3's with approximately 4 hard resets required during the whole process of updating them all.

I was up until 8:00am this morning [All nighter!] installing the new fan, setting up the rack, PDU's, PSU's with PCI-e cords and rigs.  I still have more rigs to bring over into the new closet.  I'm waiting on a couple more 240 VOLT/30 AMP outlets to arrive from Amazon tomorrow so I can add another PDU.  Then I will be able to bring my router, switch and other rigs into the new closet.  I have to leave the door with grilles open at the moment to allow the 15 feet ethernet cords to reach from the switch to the rigs in the new closet.  I will be very happy to get those outlets in the mail so I can get that switch inside the closet to close the door with grilles.

Pictures of what I've done in the transition over to the new closet thus far [I will clean up the wiring with zip ties once all of the rigs are moved inside the new closet]:

Still working on it.  Please don't mind the mess.  I went ahead and pulled a spare 10/2 just in case.  That's the orange wire you see hanging down at the moment.  It will all be cleaned up after taxes.

Don't be fooled... The fan is not held up by zip ties [lol].  The next picture shows the clips holding it in place.  The entire fan is resting inside the circle I cut in the wood with a jig saw.  The clips are holding the fan in place while it rests on the wood.  I found there was no need to screw a bolt through the black hanger into the joist above.  The fan rests perfectly on the wood while it is pushed through to the outside approximately 6 inches to where the handle rests against the wood.  So I decided to attach the handle to the wood to hold the fan in place.

The reason I have more wood to the left of the fan is to allow space to mount my power outlets, etc.  I will mount the outlets in place later.  I was tired last night!

You see the clip I have on the handle in this picture to hold the fan in place.  I have to put some 3 inch wide aluminum duct tape around this fan to seal in the quarter inch gap around it.  This will keep out bugs that may want to come in.

The next two pictures show you how I hanged the IBM 2880W PSU's with tie wraps to keep them off of the SP20's.  

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Thanks Dogie! First-time miner here and got up and running in minutes using your guide. Only delay was a thin plastic coating on my paperclip keeping it from working on the PSU. Fixed it with a metal clip from my RC cars

No problem, damn those acrylic'ed paper clips Tongue
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000
. I happened to sabotage the beeper on the board on antminer s3. assuming that the beeper will stop working and everything else will be fine ... but that was not the case .. looks like it is not mining at all now .

Does anyone know the model number of the beeper that is being used .. so that I can buy one and solder it back .

I guess any similar size buzzer will work.
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
Thanks for the beep reduction idea.  My wife says your a smart guy and also thanks you.

Cheers - usukan

I like the guide.   I did a small how to on reducing the beep.

Simple easy low cost and fully reversible.

feel free to use the photos.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/a-few-photos-of-how-to-make-the-s-3-beep-less-annoying-701338
legendary
dogiecoin.com
#dogie
1 psu has 2 PCI-E conectors and i have connected 1 PCI-E to blade A from 1st psu and connected 1 PCI-E to blade B from 2nd psu. another 2 sockets from miner in empty only

Connect 2 PCI-E from 1st PSU to blade A and 2 PCI-E from 2nd PSU to blade B.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
#dogie
1 psu has 2 PCI-E conectors and i have connected 1 PCI-E to blade A from 1st psu and connected 1 PCI-E to blade B from 2nd psu. another 2 sockets from miner in empty only
legendary
dogiecoin.com
#dogie

i have 2X Corsair 450W psu.

for model please visit this link : http://www.corsair.com/en-in/vs-seriestm-vs450-450-watt-power-supply

Was it just one connector or one set of connectors that was too hot? If you're running 2x PSUs per S3 then there is no reason it should be getting hot at all.
#dogie

i have 2X Corsair 450W psu.

for model please visit this link : http://www.corsair.com/en-in/vs-seriestm-vs450-450-watt-power-supply
#rpandassociates i am runing antminer s3 with 2X 450W psu = 900W to 1 miner
legendary
dogiecoin.com
hello sir,
i have antminer s3, and i have corsair 450w psu 2 piece. it running smoothly until yesterday, today i have checked the miner. the PCI-E cable's neck was too hot to touch. what is problem with that.? plz help me

visit this link, i have posted photo of where my psu cable is hot.
http://imgur.com/6OjaFmH

What is the exact model of the PSU you were using? Your english is fine.
Activity: 174
Merit: 100
a 450w PSU is kinda small for the S3 I would think your maxing that out for sure
hello sir,
i have antminer s3, and i have corsair 450w psu 2 piece. it running smoothly until yesterday, today i have checked the miner. the PCI-E cable's neck was too hot to touch. what is problem with that.? plz help me

visit this link, i have posted photo of where my psu cable is hot.
http://imgur.com/6OjaFmH

sorry for bad english

thank you
legendary
dogiecoin.com
i just stumbled onto this support thread, perhaps a bit late it seems. i have quite a few S3's nearly all purchased directly from bitmain. they have worked without issues for many months. just yesterday one starting beeping for no reason, so i powered it off and on. now it is stuck with the two lights on (green and amber). no amount of pushing or holding the reset button does anything to get me back into it. i do believe it was running 24 Oct as all the rest (about 20) also have this same firmware. am i dead in the water or is there some other hitherto unknown miracle cure for my predicament? thanks to all for your time and considerate reply. cheers! ;-)

i read on another thread, a user named Pautado claimed that "For MY s3 the best firmware is 10/24 it is the one that gets me higher hashrates and the most stable. And yes, I know about the not working reset button and I really don't care about it... If anything goes wrong I can always flash it by serial/jtag..."

how would one go about doing the above as he suggests? thanks again...

And this case is exactly WHY these people making misinformed decisions and trying to convert others are dangerous. Always listen to the manufacturers / experts, its like antivaxing....

Anyway, the thing is if you're not already comfortable with serial/jtag flashing then its not going to be cost efficient to learn. If you PM BitmainWarranty, they'll sort you out with a return for the controller and reflash it for you. There may be a small (reasonable) fee if the unit is out of warranty, but its worth your time if you are in the US as they can turn you around quick. Remember to include your Bitmain order number and a description of your problem [you can just quote this].
Activity: 6
i just stumbled onto this support thread, perhaps a bit late it seems. i have quite a few S3's nearly all purchased directly from bitmain. they have worked without issues for many months. just yesterday one starting beeping for no reason, so i powered it off and on. now it is stuck with the two lights on (green and amber). no amount of pushing or holding the reset button does anything to get me back into it. i do believe it was running 24 Oct as all the rest (about 20) also have this same firmware. am i dead in the water or is there some other hitherto unknown miracle cure for my predicament? thanks to all for your time and considerate reply. cheers! ;-)

i read on another thread, a user named Pautado claimed that "For MY s3 the best firmware is 10/24 it is the one that gets me higher hashrates and the most stable. And yes, I know about the not working reset button and I really don't care about it... If anything goes wrong I can always flash it by serial/jtag..."

how would one go about doing the above as he suggests? thanks again...
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Thanks for your answer!!!

My system shows in Status\Overview:

Hostname              antMiner
Model                    TP-Link TL-WR743N/ND v2
Firmware Version    OpenWrt Barrier Breaker r38031 / LuCI Trunk (svn-r9909)
Kernel Version        3.10.12

And the file I used to update firmware was [antMiner_S320141013.bin] I believe. This one was 10/13. Should I retry the next up?

Mayitzu

Go up to 20141219, its a critical update. Download is here.

Dogie... Ok different topic. I have 60 S3+ units running the previous firmware. Im having no issues. Why upgrade if they are hashing as expected?

Strato

Pre 12/19 the reset button's functionality is broken. I'm not sure at what point that problem occurred so if you have extremely old firmware [august??] you won't have that bug. Its very important to fix it as if you get network locked out etc, the controller is as good as bricked.

You'll also get a cgminer update if you're coming from a much older version. [12/19 is very similar to 10/24 but with fixed reset button.]
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1010
HALO Coin Project Lead - Mod @ r/PaintingTheTape

And the file I used to update firmware was [antMiner_S320141013.bin] I believe. This one was 10/13. Should I retry the next up?

Mayitzu

Dogie... Ok different topic. I have 60 S3+ units running the previous firmware. Im having no issues. Why upgrade if they are hashing as expected?

Strato
legendary
dogiecoin.com

Mayitzu

Activity: 5
Anyone knows if the last two firmwares are faulty/buggy? Why would they fail to hash to 200+ GHs (overclocked)? Is there a way to make the latest firmware work? I noticed, while I had it that the GUI was faster, not that I really miss a lot though.

The last few revisions were attempting to support one version of S3 PCBs better, which unfortunately may do weird things on earlier S3s. There is no particular reason if you feel you're stable on any firmware after 12/19.

Also, I'd like to try multipool mining with GHash but the "-scrypt -o stratum+tcp://multi.ghash.io:3333" entry in the GUI does not work. Is SHA256 and SCRYPT at the same time possible in the S3? Any opinions or experiences with this? Should I not bother?

From your perspective no. From a network perspective, yada yada decentralisaiton yada yada. Some will argue that large pools are not good for the economy, but regardless of who it is, there will always be a biggest pool.

Excuse my ignorance. I'm totally new to this!   Roll Eyes
(threat: more questions coming in the near future... Smiley)

No problem, you're questions are valid and better than most newbies.

Hostname              antMiner
Model                    TP-Link TL-WR743N/ND v2
Kernel Version        3.10.12

Mayitzu
Activity: 5
Also, I'd like to try multipool mining with GHash but the "-scrypt -o stratum+tcp://multi.ghash.io:3333" entry in the GUI does not work. Is SHA256 and SCRYPT at the same time possible in the S3? Any opinions or experiences with this? Should I not bother?
All ant miners are sha256 only.  They were going to release a scrypt unit back in December but that fell through, presumably due to the low value of scrypt coins currently.

That explains why it wouldn't work. I thought it was the mix of both.
Thanks for clarifying!

-Mayitzu
Pages:
Jump to: