Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Dogie's Comprehensive Bitmain Antminer S3 Setup [HD] - page 12. (Read 137425 times)

Activity: 174
Merit: 100
Yes first cpl days had to burn the chinese stink off of it Smiley The C1 eminated a plastic tubing smell for a cpl days.
The fan speeds are fine. Run alot slower than mine but I live in florida and my ambient room temp is 74 F now and runs 78F in the summer

My S3's run anywhere from 42-45C and my fans run 2100-2600

They are as loud as my desktop running full throttle, but not as loud as a vacuum cleaner Smiley

Activity: 110
Merit: 10
who are you asking? my fan speed was somewhere on 2000 i think, i stopped after 15min and this was like 4 days ago so i have forgotten. When you start the miner the first time did it have a stinky smell coming from it almost industrial/warm metal and oil?
And when i start it and it is not mining that fan speed sound is nice.
Lower the room temp the fans wont run as fast there by will run quieter.
Make sure the miners are clean Smiley 4mos of running and i had to blow out the dust bunnies they were driving temps up.

I drool over this idea http://www.grcooling.com/ they would be silent

I wonder if anyone has tried to submerse a antminer yet Smiley

The C1 is liquid cooled its a bit quieter. But the above link man that would be sooo sweet
I was also thinking of oil, look @ this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrJreUX3TCk.

my miner is new so there is probably no dust, and room temp is 18 celcius.
Lower the room temp the fans wont run as fast there by will run quieter.
Make sure the miners are clean Smiley 4mos of running and i had to blow out the dust bunnies they were driving temps up.

I drool over this idea http://www.grcooling.com/ they would be silent

I wonder if anyone has tried to submerse a antminer yet Smiley

The C1 is liquid cooled its a bit quieter. But the above link man that would be sooo sweet
Hello!
Anyone have any experience making the S3 a lot more quiet. Do i need to buy better fans? like noctua or other quiet fans?
I can not have this Tornado running in my apartment.

Thanks

The S3 is relatively quiet compared to most miners. Because of that there hasn't been much work done in silencing them, and most things you do to interfere with the fans will just make the other one spin faster.
waow quiet compared to most miners... yeah they probably are, but not quiet they sounds more than my vacuum cleaner the stock fans are probably quite sheep and not quiet. I have used my quiet usb miners so this was horrific!
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
Hello!
Anyone have any experience making the S3 a lot more quiet. Do i need to buy better fans? like noctua or other quiet fans?

Thanks

The S3 is relatively quiet compared to most miners. Because of that there hasn't been much work done in silencing them, and most things you do to interfere with the fans will just make the other one spin faster.
Hello!

Thanks
My S3 wast the last batch before S3+ (was kind of pissed after i bought it 3 days later they released the S3+)
The rest are S3+
And one C1 batch 2

Next aquisition is a S5
Not very impressed with the C1 it wanders all over the place as far as hash rate is concerned its up its down its all around like a damn roller coaster Smiley fluctuates from 800-1008 GHs
My S3's once fired up hum along at a steady rate. Probably a C1 firmware issue. Since the C1 has S3+ boards I would of expected more stability out of it.

legendary
dogiecoin.com
I wish bitmain would do a better job testing and comparing before releasing their firmware, or atleast provide more adequate instructions regarding firmware and how to roll back if necessary, that last firmware really was horrible with HW errors. And then problematic to rollback to a previous version from.

The unfortunate problem with the S3 is that there are so many hardware revisions that it makes developing / testing a unifying firmware very difficult. It might work perfect on 95% of models but then have a critical bug in one of the more niche revisions that makes it look 'untested'.

They should send dogie a S3 and S3+ for testing purposes Smiley As well as hire him as a consultant for writing their manuals and firmware descriptions-instructions-troubleshooting.
I think I will email them and tell them so.

They have hired me, although I only have translation checking control of manuals and don't have any control over firmware. They also did send an S3 [original S3, 3rd unit ever made] but I sold months before I knew I was going to brought onboard Tongue

At a minimum bitmain should date the firmware files on their site.

Firmwares are named as dates as YYYYMMDD, so 20141024 is 24th October 2014.
Thanks Dogie I have learned my lesson, the hard way as usual "If it aint broke dont try to fix it Smiley"

I wish bitmain would do a better job testing and comparing before releasing their firmware, or atleast provide more adequate instructions regarding firmware and how to roll back if necessary, that last firmware really was horrible with HW errors. And then problematic to rollback to a previous version from.

They should send dogie a S3 and S3+ for testing purposes Smiley As well as hire him as a consultant for writing their manuals and firmware descriptions-instructions-troubleshooting.
I think I will email them and tell them so.

He saved me from RMA my C1 to them and also from chewing them out when their firmware fails Smiley

At a minimum bitmain should date the firmware files on their site.
legendary
dogiecoin.com
Hey dogie so I had a big run around today after upgrading to the newest s3 firmware ugh miserable amount of HW errors, and real pain to downgrade to previous versions, finally figured it out and am currently using that 10/24 hardware which i found a link of yours to get it Smiley once again you are awesome. But figured i would post here and ask what is the best firmware to be using

20141219 has had unanimously good feedback, and is based off the already strong 20141024 firmware but also fixes the reset button. There isn't really a reason to upgrade if everything is stable and working as it should. I don't have an S3 so I can't recommend firmwares from testing.
Hey dogie so I had a big run around today after upgrading to the newest s3 firmware ugh miserable amount of HW errors, and real pain to downgrade to previous versions, finally figured it out and am currently using that 10/24 hardware which i found a link of yours to get it Smiley once again you are awesome. But figured i would post here and ask what is the best firmware to be using

antMiner_S320150109.bin is a No good HW filled firmware since i got back to antMiner_S320141219 stable 505Ghs+ at 250mhz 0 HW errors

Why was antMiner_S320141219 removed from the bitmain site?

And what do you suggest is the best firmware to use?
came you specify filename versus date because they dont list them by date Smiley

Heres what happend to me this may help others
I upgraded to antMiner_S320150109.bin
Had high HW rate like 52 in 5 mins Normally I go for 24+hrs and only get like 6 HW and the hashrate was affected by 25-50GHS less
I tried (uncheking save settings) and reverting to
antMiner_S320141013.bin and others and kept getting this weird warning about xml page error and to set volatge and shutdown then restart however it would not let me access the configuration page to do so.
I tried all firmwares on bitmains site same error over and over and over.

So I found that 10/24 link dogie posted in another page
I reinstalled the latest firmware that caused the error antMiner_S320150109.bin
I set the Freq to default
I set voltage to 0720
unchecked the save settings
Save & Apply
Reboot via PSU switch
Installed the 10/24 firmware antMiner_S320141219
Reset to DHCp
set freq to 250mhz didnt touch voltage
and now I am back to my normal 505+GHS 0 HW errors Smiley

I dont think i will be upgrading firmware again unless dogie confirms its good stuff Smiley Let me know Dogie and what version of cgminer is this 10/24 using?
Why was it pulled from the bitmain site?
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I'm reading back and forth about using 2 PCI-E's for stock, but 4 would be better. Looking for some guidance on how to power two S3's. Please let me know which PSUs and how arranged.

All Corsair PSU's-
3x CX500M, 2x CX600, 3x CX750W, 1x HX750W, 1x HX850W

Thanks a million dogie (and anyone else!)

For 2 S3s, a single CX750M will do.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
I'm reading back and forth about using 2 PCI-E's for stock, but 4 would be better. Looking for some guidance on how to power two S3's. Please let me know which PSUs and how arranged.

All Corsair PSU's-
3x CX500M, 2x CX600, 3x CX750W, 1x HX750W, 1x HX850W

Thanks a million dogie (and anyone else!)
Wow 992 HW errors for 1 day of running @ 225MhzThat seems extremly high to me.

I run mine @250mhz ( 503GHs avg. ) and only get about 5-7 HW errors a day

my S3+s do even better

All my S3's are the late batches though I think batch 8 and up. I ordered what was suppose to be 2x S3+'s on ebay for $350 shipped He was asking more i made a best offer. Then the guy sent me S3's instead. One of them had like 10k HW errors in 24hrs the other had 6k in same time. Since he advertised them as S3+'s and sent me S3's ebay sided with me and allowed me to return them to him. I am assuming they were earlier batches seems the earlier batches have some issues with high HW's I tried everything short f tearing them down and repasting to get them to run right. I tried different PSU's from my other miners. Putting them on dedicated power lines and still kept getting crazy HW rates. I am so glad i was able to send them back.

That guy should of never tried that , atleast not with me. I have both S3's and S3+'s and know the difference. I also know high HW errors are indicative of bad chips. When i tried to push the ones he sent beyond 218mhz Started lighting up X's. I figured he probably cooked them and he figured because i was paying less he would send me the worst ones. Scumbag Smiley

Once I realized they were duds I went back to the listing and examined the pics closely and noticed that he had the exhaust from some S3's blowing into the intake of others.. these units he sent me were probably those others.

Some people Smiley
legendary
dogiecoin.com
I have seen this question before but could not find a clear answer, all of s3's have 0 in the best share spot, my s2 is fine my s1's are fine. Can anyone shed any light on this, I am running the latest firmware, and have ample power supplies, the units appear to be mining fine too. All the s3's show the same as image below. Thanks in advance for any help!
Semp3rfi

Anybody???

CK said that the firmware is bugged if the difficulty set is 2n. That is, Bitmain's version. You can test it yourself by setting an odd difficulty.
FSI
Activity: 5
Merit: 0
Did you enter the correct mining information? I am getting plenty for "Getworks" and other stats...Maybe try connecting to another mining source to see if your number increases...

I've noticed in the s3 bitmain manual - their image of this screen also contains a zero for bestshare, but only after running for 36mins....you have only been running for 2 hours....mine is from 1 day+

Here is my s3, so you can compare...

http://i.imgur.com/mwQTL6e.png
Activity: 2
I have seen this question before but could not find a clear answer, all of s3's have 0 in the best share spot, my s2 is fine my s1's are fine. Can anyone shed any light on this, I am running the latest firmware, and have ample power supplies, the units appear to be mining fine too. All the s3's show the same as image below. Thanks in advance for any help!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t31.0-8/10911242_850502424972402_8900200065514325384_o.jpg

Semp3rfi

Anybody???
FSI
Activity: 5
Thanks Dogie!! will give it a try...

Yup, that was the problem...The latest firmware mentions the issue....Thanks again Dogie!!

antMiner_S320150109.bin
1. fix bug of negative temperature
2. fix power mistake adjustment.
3. disable VDD adjustment function.
MD5: 3E77FC58E4CF9F6C27810C8154C8B0F9
Pages:
Jump to: