Pages:
Author

Topic: [GUIDE] GridSeed 5-Chip USB, Blade & Black Miner Support/Tuning - page 5. (Read 308626 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 250
Not completely sure what your asking but if you are wondering if you can mine BTC and LTC (dual mode) with the voltmod the answer is NO. Do not even try...you will blow your miner.

Please forgive me for my english
 I am from Ukraine
 Litecoin complexity grows very quickly.
Will be considered favorably in dual mode.
Need to rewire the resistors 47 on 33kom
legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000
Who am Main in dual mode with voltmod?
What temperature device?

Not completely sure what your asking but if you are wondering if you can mine BTC and LTC (dual mode) with the voltmod the answer is NO. Do not even try...you will blow your miner.
Who am Main in dual mode with voltmod?
What temperature device?
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Any help??

I had 10 blades die. The fans still turn on, but no red lights or green lights.
GAW and GRIDSEED both said that they can't do anything, which seems ridiculous for almost $14,000 in hardware.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Pretty rare for 10 Blades to just up an die....perhaps something else is amiss?

I'd start with the power supply, test each blade with a known good PSU/hub/controller. Even if they did all die that kind of implicates the power supply, doesn't it?
Activity: 910
Merit: 501
Any help??

GAW and GRIDSEED both said that they can't do anything, which seems ridiculous for almost $14,000 in hardware.

Pretty rare for 10 Blades to just up an die....perhaps something else is amiss?
Activity: 10
Merit: 0
Any help??

Activity: 28
(Moved from the other Blade support thread)

Has anyone successfully replaced the fan on their Gridseed Blade with a quieter one? I did a bit of research, and the fan on the Blade seems to be a YY9225M12 (http://snowfancomcn.ztouch-make-hn-16221.shushang-z.cn/products_detail/&productId=225.html) which pushes about 90 CFM and operates at about 45dbA. The only 92mm alternatives I was able to find were some of the higher-power Delta fans and the Vantec Tornado, both of which operate at 90+ CFM, but also at 50-55dbA.

Of course, the question is whether the Blade really needs 90 CFM or whether Gridseed was just playing it safe. There are quieter fans at 80 CFM and much quieter fans at 43 CFM. And a few people have mentioned using a Noctua NF-B9, which is only about 31 CFM, but nobody's actually posted about whether the Noctua ran the Blade stably for any long period of time.

Anyway, if anyone's managed to quiet the Blade down without melting it, please post!

I still have fans on my 5 chips and they are way louder.  I think the fan size and the length of the connector cable (connector should match obviously) all need to worry about.  I put copper heatsinks ($4.00) and an old P4 fan (free) blowing down across the sets of heatsinks and "hot" areas of the cards (backside of the pcb) 
http://postimg.org/image/lh45dergt/

I ran a copper wire through the holes to make long legs, one is stuck in contact putty (for posters), the fan is taped at the back with aluminum tape.  It won't easily come off.  This did not help with HW errors, i still have one that gets a few each day compared to the other that maybe has one (pool switching causes more with them).

I made some labels for my gridseeds.  I had to use one blank one though, http://postimg.org/image/hc3rbn931/  forgive the dust.

The only mod that might quiet them down (bigger fan!)... in the mod section search for Gridseed Blade Widebody. 

Thanks for all the information! Yeah, maybe I have a particularly noisy fan--it's not as loud as the 5-chip fans but it has a really annoying whine.

Your setup is pretty sweet. How did you attach the heatsinks? Just the stock adhesive, or anything special? As far as the second fan goes, I wonder if it would work to position the blades horizontally and blow air across with one of these fans: http://amzn.com/B00080G0BK - I guess that would be kind of like what you've done, though the Pentium fan is probably a lot faster.

Thanks for the pointer to the widebody mod, too. Gonna check that out.

The heatsinks just are vga ones, 8 to pack with thermal tape already on them..got off ebay... took a long time to show up 3 weeks i think.
 I spent 2 hours setting up that table, underneath is a mess just cause the cables are a bit unequal length. but i wanted them to disappear into the blue antistatic mat.  I made those stickers.
Activity: 456

Has anyone successfully replaced the fan on their Gridseed Blade with a quieter one? I did a bit of research, and the fan on the Blade seems to be a YY9225M12 (http://snowfancomcn.ztouch-make-hn-16221.shushang-z.cn/products_detail/&productId=225.html) which pushes about 90 CFM and operates at about 45dbA. The only 92mm alternatives I was able to find were some of the higher-power Delta fans and the Vantec Tornado, both of which operate at 90+ CFM, but also at 50-55dbA.

Of course, the question is whether the Blade really needs 90 CFM or whether Gridseed was just playing it safe. There are quieter fans at 80 CFM and much quieter fans at 43 CFM. And a few people have mentioned using a Noctua NF-B9, which is only about 31 CFM, but nobody's actually posted about whether the Noctua ran the Blade stably for any long period of time.

Anyway, if anyone's managed to quiet the Blade down without melting it, please post!

I still have fans on my 5 chips and they are way louder.  I think the fan size and the length of the connector cable (connector should match obviously) all need to worry about.  I put copper heatsinks ($4.00) and an old P4 fan (free) blowing down across the sets of heatsinks and "hot" areas of the cards (backside of the pcb)  

I ran a copper wire through the holes to make long legs, one is stuck in contact putty (for posters), the fan is taped at the back with aluminum tape.  It won't easily come off.  This did not help with HW errors, i still have one that gets a few each day compared to the other that maybe has one (pool switching causes more with them).

I made some labels for my gridseeds.  I had to use one blank one though, http://postimg.org/image/hc3rbn931/  forgive the dust.

The only mod that might quiet them down (bigger fan!)... in the mod section search for Gridseed Blade Widebody. 

Thanks for all the information! Yeah, maybe I have a particularly noisy fan--it's not as loud as the 5-chip fans but it has a really annoying whine.

Your setup is pretty sweet. How did you attach the heatsinks? Just the stock adhesive, or anything special? As far as the second fan goes, I wonder if it would work to position the blades horizontally and blow air across with one of these fans: http://amzn.com/B00080G0BK - I guess that would be kind of like what you've done, though the Pentium fan is probably a lot faster.

Thanks for the pointer to the widebody mod, too. Gonna check that out.
Activity: 28

I still have fans on my 5 chips and they are way louder.  I think the fan size and the length of the connector cable (connector should match obviously) all need to worry about.  I put copper heatsinks ($4.00) and an old P4 fan (free) blowing down across the sets of heatsinks and "hot" areas of the cards (backside of the pcb)  

I ran a copper wire through the holes to make long legs, one is stuck in contact putty (for posters), the fan is taped at the back with aluminum tape.  It won't easily come off.  This did not help with HW errors, i still have one that gets a few each day compared to the other that maybe has one (pool switching causes more with them).

I made some labels for my gridseeds.  I had to use one blank one though, http://postimg.org/image/hc3rbn931/  forgive the dust.

Activity: 432
Merit: 254
anyone ever got to run gridseed p2pool with node? I used bfgminer 4.1.0, it is not visible in the statistics and in making the program a third column is 0 Mhash/s Sad
ps / what frequency chip is estimated that by default?
Activity: 805
When trying to connect to Miningrigrentals.com service, cpuminer-gc3355 returns a "Unable to Resolve host http(null)" error.  I can connect to any other pool just fine.  I have emailed Miningrigrentals tech support and they were unable to diagnose any problem on their end.  Sandor, any ideas?  I saw earlier in this thread someone had the same exact issue trying to connect to Miningrigrentals servers.  Any help is appreciated!
I also spoke to someone at miningrigrentals.com and after discussing the issue through a support, I gave him remote access to my mining rig to diagnose the problem.  He noted that there seems to be a bug in the CPUminer code that causes a connection issue.  He described it as such:

Yes, Indeed a bug in the software,
My guess it's
if (url != sctx->url) {
free(sctx->url);
sctx->url = strdup(url);
}
This changes the client.reconnect port we give you back to the original, that's why it keeps trying to connect to port 3333 which is the main port that tells you which port is yours.
I'm going to have to try and get a local proxy software made for people who are having issues, For now Ive manually set your port in your config.  us-west01.miningrigrentals.com:50195 you'll get a different port on us-east, it should pop up in the window if you look at it, close your window and relaunch after putting in the new address and port.

Changing my port to 50195 worked for me but I suspect this might be different for you.  The port may show up in your window when you get the connection error, if it does - try changing the port (3333) in your config to the one displayed in your CPUminer window to see if you can connect.    Not sure if this helps or if Sandor can have a look at it for his next version.  

Personally, I'm very happy with CPUminer so far.  It runs rock solid and the autotune feature is awesome for maxing out each individual miner's hashrate.  It's definitely the best out of the 3 main miners for Gridseeds available.  It'd just be nice if it had an API like BFGminer and CGminer so that I could monitor it remotely in Windows...

Good at least i'm not alone  Wink i have the same problem, i tried the windows version od cpuminer and also the Minera RPI flavor so 1.0d ( windows ) and 1.0e ( Linnux ) both do the same problem, i posted this in the minera thread and a dev from Miningrigrentals saw it and are going to look in to it., well see who fixes the problem first, them or Sandor . Cause really, let's face it, cpuminer is THE BEST.

Thanks surgexvb

That actually worked for me also. can now connect to MiningRigsRental.

Activity: 456

Activity: 805
When trying to connect to Miningrigrentals.com service, cpuminer-gc3355 returns a "Unable to Resolve host http(null)" error.  I can connect to any other pool just fine.  I have emailed Miningrigrentals tech support and they were unable to diagnose any problem on their end.  Sandor, any ideas?  I saw earlier in this thread someone had the same exact issue trying to connect to Miningrigrentals servers.  Any help is appreciated!
I also spoke to someone at miningrigrentals.com and after discussing the issue through a support, I gave him remote access to my mining rig to diagnose the problem.  He noted that there seems to be a bug in the CPUminer code that causes a connection issue.  He described it as such:

Yes, Indeed a bug in the software,
My guess it's
if (url != sctx->url) {
free(sctx->url);
sctx->url = strdup(url);
}
This changes the client.reconnect port we give you back to the original, that's why it keeps trying to connect to port 3333 which is the main port that tells you which port is yours.
I'm going to have to try and get a local proxy software made for people who are having issues, For now Ive manually set your port in your config.  us-west01.miningrigrentals.com:50195 you'll get a different port on us-east, it should pop up in the window if you look at it, close your window and relaunch after putting in the new address and port.

Changing my port to 50195 worked for me but I suspect this might be different for you.  The port may show up in your window when you get the connection error, if it does - try changing the port (3333) in your config to the one displayed in your CPUminer window to see if you can connect.    Not sure if this helps or if Sandor can have a look at it for his next version.  

Personally, I'm very happy with CPUminer so far.  It runs rock solid and the autotune feature is awesome for maxing out each individual miner's hashrate.  It's definitely the best out of the 3 main miners for Gridseeds available.  It'd just be nice if it had an API like BFGminer and CGminer so that I could monitor it remotely in Windows...

Good at least i'm not alone  Wink i have the same problem, i tried the windows version od cpuminer and also the Minera RPI flavor so 1.0d ( windows ) and 1.0e ( Linnux ) both do the same problem, i posted this in the minera thread and a dev from Miningrigrentals saw it and are going to look in to it., well see who fixes the problem first, them or Sandor . Cause really, let's face it, cpuminer is THE BEST.
I also wonder how does the difficulty to work.
Today found that the decrease in the speed Gridseed associated with an increase in temperature.
legendary
Activity: 1270
Merit: 1000
Here's a dumb question. When setting the difficulty, should it be based on the frequency of individual GridSeeds, or the total for a group of them?

For example if you have 10 GSDs that combined produce about 3.6 MH/s, do you set the difficulty based on 3.6 MH/s or 360 KH/s?

For the pools that allow you to set a difficulty, I've based it on the total for the rig, not the individual GSDs. Maybe I've been doing this wrong...

I dunno...don't think it matters much. I have run 21 Gridseeds as low as 50 and as high as 1028 difficulty for the group without much of a difference. Think rejects were a little lower at 512 vs 768 but did not spend too much time testing it out. I usually just let the pool auto adjust the diff to whatever it thinks is best. Too low and there is too much traffic/time wasted communicating between the pool and the miner that could be spent trying to solve blocks/shares. Too high and you could be wasting time trying to solve an old block/share.

I think the Gridseeds can handle high diff as long as you have enough of them. Others may have opposing opinions but this is my belief from mining with them for about 4-5 months.
legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
Here's a dumb question. When setting the difficulty, should it be based on the frequency of individual GridSeeds, or the total for a group of them?

For example if you have 10 GSDs that combined produce about 3.6 MH/s, do you set the difficulty based on 3.6 MH/s or 360 KH/s?

For the pools that allow you to set a difficulty, I've based it on the total for the rig, not the individual GSDs. Maybe I've been doing this wrong...
Activity: 378

HW errors come from both, either heat, or bad pool configuration (could also come from insufficient power supply, for example, or a misconfiguration in the miner software)

Your quantity of HW errors is nothing to worry about, I get the same from certain pools. Even with everything configured correctly, and mining in a good pool, I get a few HW errors every now and then.

looky wha happened.

ekk.

https://i.imgur.com/tmZlK05.jpg

They stopped sending shares? That's odd, haven't been having those kinds of problems for a long time.

Also, as wolfey2014 said, higher diff's, help Smiley

Yea, I dunno what happened. all hell broke lose, hw errors, not submitting shares "dead" etc.

I've done what Wolfey recommended. and upped my dif to 77.

Sounds like possible hardware issue... Check the modification made to it. Check USB power and connection. Check 12V power.
Could be a lemon unit.
Diff and freq adjustment shouldnt' harm the pod unless running it at 1200MHz caused it to overheat due to poor heat sink contact and or bad chips.
Good luck!
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

HW errors come from both, either heat, or bad pool configuration (could also come from insufficient power supply, for example, or a misconfiguration in the miner software)

Your quantity of HW errors is nothing to worry about, I get the same from certain pools. Even with everything configured correctly, and mining in a good pool, I get a few HW errors every now and then.

looky wha happened.

ekk.

They stopped sending shares? That's odd, haven't been having those kinds of problems for a long time.

Yea, I dunno what happened. all hell broke lose, hw errors, not submitting shares "dead" etc.

I've done what Wolfey recommended. and upped my dif to 77.

You can up it even more, without much problems, from what I've seen with these Gridseeds. Try hashing on 77 then, and report back Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

looky wha happened.

ekk.

Activity: 378
Where from does HW errors stem from? Pools? Heat?

My modded gridseeds were perfect but since I connected to http://manicminer.in/ I've been getting hit with hw errors. I think.

I have difficulty set to 52 on my worker, for 507Kh/s per seed, 5 gridseeds.

Does anyone have any suggestions or questions?

Edit:
Gridseeds are cold to touch, maybe little warm but not hot or anything.

Edit2:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/can-anybody-explain-hw-errors-to-me-like-i-am-a-five-year-old-640603

Edit3:
Maybe they should be face opposite of this direction? But in theory they should stay cooler this way?

I am just really worried now I got one seed that popped off 3 hw errors another one 2 hardware errors all in 5 hours.

Prior was HW error 5,2 and 3 in 5 hours yesterday when ambient room temp was 80f.

Hi, try setting driver frequency lower to like 1163.... You should see higher accepts and much lower HW errors.
You're overdriving your seed i.e. frequency set too high. Most seeds won't run very efficiently at 1200+MHz.
Also, try setting Diff' a bit higher. This helps calm HW errors too.
Good luck!
Wolfey2014
Pages:
Jump to: