Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Surviving the fork, or How to double your bitcoins (or save fiat) - page 2. (Read 9927 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
if XT wins, does this mean all the current alt coins that relies their chain security with merge mining with bitcoin core will loose substantial network hash and end up dying along with the bitcoin core.

so asap get out of the alts that have merge mining with bitcoin core if XT succeeds or can they merge mining with both core and XT?

i think right now the safest bet is ethereum, it came out just the right time for the shaken btc world, people will look into eth for hope that it will take over most of btc marketcap.

ps i have no eth, only have nxt.
I would think that all merge mined altcoins will still work with which ever BTC survives, maybe each such altcoin might need to hardfork too. not sure on the details, but i dont see this as any insoluble issue for merge mined alts
Activity: 910
Merit: 1003
a forced global upgrade across thousands of independent entities, in two weeks.

Yes, two weeks is rather short.  Two months would have been better.  I suspect that the 75% will be reached very quickly, or never.  I suppose that Mike was afraid of some PR counteroffensive that would convince many 8 MB adopters to switch back to 1 MB, if the grace period was too big.

After all how hard can it be to force everybody to adopt the new bitcoin, even though they dont agree with it?

Once 75% of the miners have agreed to switch to 8 MB, agreement is irrelevant.  The remaining miners and the major services will choose to switch before the 8 MB limit is enabled, even if they didn want to, otherwise they will lose money.  They will be aware of the event and capable of upgrading in time.

But even you agree that there will be an altcoin created out of this and that altcoin will have nontrivial value, probably more than LTC, certainly more than NMC.

No, I don't agree with that.  

Litecoin is a functioning coin, that non-experts can use as easily as bitcoin, with no confusion.  It has its own exchanges, a large user base, etc.. (It is even used by bitcoin arbitragers, I read somewhere, to quickly transfer value between exchanges, due to its shorter block period.)  

The "1 MB bitcoin", if it survives at all, will have a very long block period, a huge and growing backlog of unconfirmed transactions, practically no services and exchanges -- and very few people will know how to handle it.  

Indeed, if the 8 MB sizelimit prevails, its miners may find it worthy to put some of their hashpower to the task of jamming the 1 MB branch, to minimize confusion of clients who failed to upgrade, and to prevent its use for scams.
Activity: 404
Merit: 250
https://nxtforum.org/
if XT wins, does this mean all the current alt coins that relies their chain security with merge mining with bitcoin core will loose substantial network hash and end up dying along with the bitcoin core.

so asap get out of the alts that have merge mining with bitcoin core if XT succeeds or can they merge mining with both core and XT?

i think right now the safest bet is ethereum, it came out just the right time for the shaken btc world, people will look into eth for hope that it will take over most of btc marketcap.

ps i have no eth, only have nxt.
legendary
Quote from: jl777

I dont know the stats on the last bitcoin hardfork and how long it took for "everyone" to upgrade, but my guess is that it took a bit more than 10 minutes

James
Was the last fork as dramatic and full of emotion as this one?  Did it involve this much at stake?  This much accusation and handwringing about selling out to the fiat players?  I mean seriously... comparing THIS fork to one in the past is like comparing getting mad at your wife because she was flirting to how you would feel if you caught your wife in bed with someone.  LOTS more emotion being generated in this fork it seems to me.  Am I wrong?  Did as big a part of the community DIRECTLY THREATEN to intentionally split the chain forever?  C'mon.  Apples to Oranges.
So this makes it even more likely that holdouts will keep the losing chain alive for more than 2 weeks.

Absolutely!  Which takes me back to the reason I made the Cluster F#(sorry - I still say it is theory - although possibly I believe a little more after your explanation) is real - then I now understand that this creates a situation that bitcoins could end up flying across the Parallel Universe Rift occassionally, reeking havoc, causing bitcoins to be lost etc.   That was proposed as an earlier poster out as a "relative" rarity - but if this split LASTS, the longer it lasts, the bigger the chance for bitcoin loss - and speaking from a simply societal common sense macro picture standpoint - this is, again, a COMPLETE Cluster F#
If bitcoin was fully centralized and had a command structure where everybody had to obey, then maybe 2 weeks for a global update would be ok, though still on the edge of doable.

As it is, with the protocol design, the likely outcome is that the combined market cap will be split between the two variants as long as either has any chance of winning and even after a clear winner emerges, the remaining altcoin (be it original or XT) will still hang on for months

What I dont understand is why is this ultimatum sort of mechanism even existing?
Activity: 140
Merit: 101

I dont know the stats on the last bitcoin hardfork and how long it took for "everyone" to upgrade, but my guess is that it took a bit more than 10 minutes

James
Was the last fork as dramatic and full of emotion as this one?  Did it involve this much at stake?  This much accusation and handwringing about selling out to the fiat players?  I mean seriously... comparing THIS fork to one in the past is like comparing getting mad at your wife because she was flirting to how you would feel if you caught your wife in bed with someone.  LOTS more emotion being generated in this fork it seems to me.  Am I wrong?  Did as big a part of the community DIRECTLY THREATEN to intentionally split the chain forever?  C'mon.  Apples to Oranges.
So this makes it even more likely that holdouts will keep the losing chain alive for more than 2 weeks.

Absolutely!  Which takes me back to the reason I made the Cluster F#(sorry - I still say it is theory - although possibly I believe a little more after your explanation) is real - then I now understand that this creates a situation that bitcoins could end up flying across the Parallel Universe Rift occassionally, reeking havoc, causing bitcoins to be lost etc.   That was proposed as an earlier poster out as a "relative" rarity - but if this split LASTS, the longer it lasts, the bigger the chance for bitcoin loss - and speaking from a simply societal common sense macro picture standpoint - this is, again, a COMPLETE Cluster F#
G2M
Activity: 280
Activity: 616
legendary

James
legendary
Therefore, there will not be a functioning market for both versions; it would only cater for those clever hackers. Malicious hackers may be able to exploit the confusion of some ordinary clients to do double spends; but payment processors and exchanges will almost certainly deal with just one "bitcoin", the one with mining majority.  
instantly the moment of the fork?
across all vendors across the entire world?
what if they are sleeping?

The XT fork will not be a "stealth fork" (like the BIP66 caper).

Again: if and when the blockchain tags indicate that 75% of the miners are ready, there will be a 2 week period during which everyone running Core (or other incompatible software) will be warned of the event and urged to switch to XT (or any compatible software).  If and when that happen, you may be sure that all sensible exchanges and services will upgrade, together with the sensible miners among the other 25%.  Perhaps even Luke.  Perhaps even Mircea.

So, OK, there may be a few "rebel" exchanges left to cater for some thoroughly confused clients who did not upgrade, and the few "rebel" clients who refuse to consider bigger blocks and are willing to put up with 1 block every 2 hours...  But I still don't see any great opportunity there.

(After the 2 weeks period, there will still exist only one branch, and hence only one altcoin, until someone mines a block larger than 1 MB.  That may not take too long.  The average block size in early 2016 should still be 0.7 MB, but variable block spacings and empty blocks may create a backlog of more than 1 MB in the queue at some point.)

[/quote]
a forced global upgrade across thousands of independent entities, in two weeks.

No problem. Logistically this is a trivial matter of coordination. After all how hard can it be to force everybody to adopt the new bitcoin, even though they dont agree with it?

But even you agree that there will be an altcoin created out of this and that altcoin will have nontrivial value, probably more than LTC, certainly more than NMC. But what are a few millions of dollars when we are talking about a forced upgrade onto all the people that dont see the light.

James

James
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
http://fuk.io - check it out!
while not sure if this will work, the idea itself is great,

im sure there is some superb tech peopel who already have bots to do all this
Therefore, there will not be a functioning market for both versions; it would only cater for those clever hackers. Malicious hackers may be able to exploit the confusion of some ordinary clients to do double spends; but payment processors and exchanges will almost certainly deal with just one "bitcoin", the one with mining majority.  
[/quote]

The XT fork will not be a "stealth fork" (like the BIP66 caper).

Again: if and when the blockchain tags indicate that 75% of the miners are ready, there will be a 2 week period during which everyone running Core (or other incompatible software) will be warned of the event and urged to switch to XT (or any compatible software).  If and when that happen, you may be sure that all sensible exchanges and services will upgrade, together with the sensible miners among the other 25%.  Perhaps even Luke.  Perhaps even Mircea.

So, OK, there may be a few "rebel" exchanges left to cater for some thoroughly confused clients who did not upgrade, and the few "rebel" clients who refuse to consider bigger blocks and are willing to put up with 1 block every 2 hours...  But I still don't see any great opportunity there.

(After the 2 weeks period, there will still exist only one branch, and hence only one altcoin, until someone mines a block larger than 1 MB.  That may not take too long.  The average block size in early 2016 should still be 0.7 MB, but variable block spacings and empty blocks may create a backlog of more than 1 MB in the queue at some point.)
legendary
I feel like everyone has gone full retard with this one. There will not be 2 different usable, spendable, mineable coins.
not long term, no
but maybe for 20 minutes from zeroblock?
or maybe a few hours
or days?

how many vendors are there that deal with bitcoin?
how many timezones?
what if it happens on a weekend?

and how long will the losing coin be worth more than LTC?
more than NMC?

remember there are a ton of altcoins that still have value long after they are dead

James
legendary
Guys, the fork will NOT create two independently usable altcoins -- even if the blockchain splits into two branches that survive long enough to play with.  

Some clever bitcoin hackers may be able to create transactions that are valid on only one chosen branch.  However, most transactions issued by typical users will be executed in both chains;.  Thus they will not be able to "see" the two altcoins.  When one of those transactions, by accident, turns out to be valid for only one chain, the client will either not notice ever, or will get confused, and maybe end up with his wallet in an inconsistent state, maybe even lose coins.

Oh for crying out loud..... this is a complete and utter Cluster F#
when the majority of bitcoin core devs all work for the same profit based company, well it is not surprising that making profits for that company trumps other things

In my experience it is impossible to coordinate the actions of much more than half a dozen people, especially when they are all over the world, even when they all want to do the same thing.

So how on earth with thousands or hundreds of thousands of people all do the same thing at the same exact moment, especially when a significant minority is disagreeing

James
Activity: 392
the Cat-a-clysm.
I feel like everyone has gone full retard with this one. There will not be 2 different usable, spendable, mineable coins.
Guys, the fork will NOT create two independently usable altcoins -- even if the blockchain splits into two branches that survive long enough to play with.  

Some clever bitcoin hackers may be able to create transactions that are valid on only one chosen branch.  However, most transactions issued by typical users will be executed in both chains;.  Thus they will not be able to "see" the two altcoins.  When one of those transactions, by accident, turns out to be valid for only one chain, the client will either not notice ever, or will get confused, and maybe end up with his wallet in an inconsistent state, maybe even lose coins.

Oh for crying out loud..... this is a complete and utter Cluster F#
legendary

legendary
The old wisdom is don't fix it if it ain't broken. I guest majority of the miners will take a wait and see stance. Recent stress test already showed that even every block is above 1MB, the network still works well

That does not work when you are trying to revolutionize sectors ... we do not want to stay in the stone ages

Banks stayed in stone age for hundreds of years and that's the reason they become the master slaveholder. Value is all about stability and integrity

Aint that the truth.
Right now bitcoin is truly looking like amateur hour to the financial world.
And just when it could be getting a huge boost as a safe haven in the current increasing perception of a global meltdown.
Shame
and this raises the possibility that it is all an intentional thing...
to create the very real possibility of splitting the bitcoin
legendary
Activity: 576
Merit: 503
The old wisdom is don't fix it if it ain't broken. I guest majority of the miners will take a wait and see stance. Recent stress test already showed that even every block is above 1MB, the network still works well

That does not work when you are trying to revolutionize sectors ... we do not want to stay in the stone ages

Banks stayed in stone age for hundreds of years and that's the reason they become the master slaveholder. Value is all about stability and integrity

Aint that the truth.
Right now bitcoin is truly looking like amateur hour to the financial world.
And just when it could be getting a huge boost as a safe haven in the current increasing perception of a global meltdown.
Shame
Pages:
Jump to:
© 2020, Bitcointalksearch.org