Pages:
Author

Topic: [Guide] Surviving the fork, or How to double your bitcoins (or save fiat) - page 9. (Read 9916 times)

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
So basically, if I understand correctly, this is a hack that favours the miners.
And obviously, miners would be motivated to make a fork happen.

Am I correct?
Activity: 576
Merit: 503
Do we know what the big players are planning to do in the event of a fork?
For example is it sensible for an exchange to offer trading in both coins?
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009
The question in my mind is: how do you get coins on exactly one chain immediately after the first big block is mined?

You need to generate a lot of low-fee transactions that will be included into 1+ MiB blocks of XT but won't be included into the original Bitcoin. Once you get at least one such transaction confirmed in XT you need to generate a block with a contradicting transaction in Bitcoin. Only pool owners can do such the trick with high reliability. More info is available on http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/4942/what-is-a-finney-attack. Obviously, it's almost impossible to do that right after the first block.
legendary
Well, in that case that's an issue that has to be sorted out before the deadline.

Is there a proposal on how to prevent such attack?

No.
yep. i saw this written here before and it sounds correct to me. Love to hear anyone's dissenting facts or logic tho.

So far ... not much thought happening here.

The question in my mind is: how do you get coins on exactly one chain immediately after the first big block is mined?
Remember the coinbase coins can't be used until 100 blocks have passed. Anyone who can make this work sooner will spend their coins twice.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
It won't work.

If XT is adopted, XT wins, there's no other chain, or at least there's no other chain with value.

You may find someone that lived in a cave for the past year and scam them using the abandoned chain, but that's not something you'll want to brag about, I think...
It will work. That would be the case of reaching complete consensus with the economic majority.
AFAIK 75% (needed by XT) will cause a noticeable split, and thus this can be achieved. The guide is sound, and should work.
It won't work.

If XT is adopted, XT wins, there's no other chain, or at least there's no other chain with value.

You may find someone that lived in a cave for the past year and scam them using the abandoned chain, but that's not something you'll want to brag about, I think...

Since the losing chain value doesn't drop to $0 in 0 seconds, there's a chaotic time during which the op's scenario may unfold.
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031
Well, then a fork does not occur, no problem...

It will occur in this scenario and some miners will be mining Bitcoin while the others will be mining Bitcoin XT. Those who pick the right side will get increased income during some period of time.

Well, in that case that's an issue that has to be sorted out before the deadline.

Is there a proposal on how to prevent such attack?
Fork doesn't occur under those conditions.

People's choice will be clear and every service will update software in proper time if a fork does occur..

There is no way to know if a miner really supports Bitcoin XT or just pretends so to give a lesson to the tandem and to show that "one does not simply mess with the blockchain" and future attempts will fail too.

Wut?
If they say they vote for xt, a fork will occur.
Then they don't actually mine big blocks....
legendary

It will occur in this scenario and some miners will be mining Bitcoin while the others will be mining Bitcoin XT. Those who pick the right side will get increased income during some period of time.
legendary

People's choice will be clear and every service will update software in proper time if a fork does occur..

There is no way to know if a miner really supports Bitcoin XT or just pretends so to give a lesson to the tandem and to show that "one does not simply mess with the blockchain" and future attempts will fail too.

legendary

legendary
if you can double your bitcoin in any way i'm sure the price will tank to 50% of current price long before you can do anything

In this case a rational person will do as written in the guide to save as much money as possible.
legendary
if you can double your bitcoin in any way i'm sure the price will tank to 50% of current price long before you can do anything

It won't work.

what happen if both chain hold 50% of the network?, it's like having a bitcoin with half the network and a new altcoin that want to be bitcoin 2.0

legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

It won't work.

what happen if both chain hold 50% of the network? it's like having a bitcoin with half the network and a new altcoin that want to be bitcoin 2.0
legendary
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1000
It won't work.

XT win lose or draw will never have value, maybe price v USD but it'll never be anything of value.
legendary

This is very arguable, but I won't argue, let's stick to the topic without derailing it.
legendary
So, why doesn't someone send his coins to himself with the hopes of them being included in only one chain?

This may work too, but probability is very low because your first transaction will be kept in memory pool if not already included into a block. Good timing and extraordinary skills are required for such trick.
legendary
It won't work.

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502
... miners or guys who managed to get their transaction not included into the other chain.

Well, I doubt that there will be miners that will give your the coins they can take advantage of.
So, why doesn't someone send his coins to himself with the hopes of them being included in only one chain?
Pages:
Jump to: