Pages:
Author

Topic: Health and Religion - page 8. (Read 210818 times)

legendary
Activity: 2688
Merit: 1468
December 02, 2019, 03:17:37 PM

Religion is a two-edged sword.  On one hand, it can stop people from committing heinous crimes and on the other, it facilitates, makes it easy to justify other heinous crimes.

Religion advocate forgiving and redemption no ?

Corruption and structural abuse in all of the major religions is just one aspect that I could not bear.

Religion is not about sticking to corrupt structures. All religions warn about the wolf in sheep clothe and corrupt structures.

Supernatural claims, scientific nonsense, outright contradictions, rejection of any progressive thought, the subjective, cultural context in the "holy" scriptures is something I could not accept as divine.

Science cannot explain everything either, but religion is not really about being dogmatic or against progress, on the contrary most religion have their own eschatology and hope for better future.

The universe was started most likely out of nothing via quantum fluctuations, the initial inflation was a result of non-symmetry in the matter-antimatter formation and destruction, and we are the result of it.

This doesnt explain much either.

Scientific ignorance of religious people is appalling.  Their schizophrenic, hypocritic rejection of science and acceptance of technology is
all the proof you need to know that people running this con job are ruthless, evil psychopaths who will do anything and say anything to separate fools from their money.

Lot of great scientist if not all were religious.

Any company that would offer a non-existing product, charge you in advance and would promise that the product works after you die would end up in court for fraud.

Its not a company, you know what jesus said about marchants in the temples etc.

The main function of religion is to instill fear, establish control and provide answers to ignorant people and stray them from killing each other.

Fear is a powerfull tool to influence people, but religion is not about fear normally its more about faith and hope.

Apparently it is not only about faith and hope. LOL.

https://metro.co.uk/video/this-bishop-thinks-make-penises-bigger-1370991/?ito=vjs-link

Meanwhile, scientists might have discovered a fifth, yet unknown force:
https://www.businessinsider.com/physicists-discovered-new-fifth-force-of-nature-dark-matter-problem-2019-11

Independent, experimental evidence is needed to confirm this discovery.

What has religion accomplished in the last 100 years?  Diddly-squat.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
December 02, 2019, 12:45:49 PM

I guess old af-newbie will never understand things like this, even if he is not a woman.

Cool

Interesting choice of scripture there.

af-newbie has stated he was deeply influenced by the overt and gross corruption he witnessed peddled by a nominally religious leader in his youth. Witnessing corruption and abuse he rejects religion prima facie.

This is understandable and an example of the tremendous harm that can results from violating the commandment of taking the name of God in vain aka committing evil in the name of God. Hypocrisy is incredibly destructive.

I once wandered away from Christianity but I never had anything like that kind of hurdle to overcome while finding my way back. The religious people I interacted with in my youth were to the best of my knowledge genuine and acting with goodwill.

My path back started with the realization of the practical necessity of Christianity. That sparked a later deeper introspection into the fundamentals.

The decline of Christianity is seriously damaging society, atheists acknowledge
https://thebl.com/us-news/the-decline-of-christianity-is-seriously-damaging-society-atheists-acknowledge.html

How the West was won – by Christianity
https://www.mercatornet.com/features/view/how-the-west-was-won-by-christianity/23109

Religion is a two-edged sword.  On one hand, it can stop people from committing heinous crimes and on the other, it facilitates, makes it easy to justify other heinous crimes.

Corruption and structural abuse in all of the major religions is just one aspect that I could not bear.

Supernatural claims, scientific nonsense, outright contradictions, rejection of any progressive thought, the subjective, cultural context in the "holy" scriptures is something I could not accept as divine.

Cell death is a non-reversible process.  When your DNA and RNA fragments, there is nothing that would reassemble them and rebuild each and every cell in your body to make you alive again.

A cracker and wine during your Sunday's mass cannot possibly turn into human flesh and blood. That is not chemically possible.

The universe was started most likely out of nothing via quantum fluctuations, the initial inflation was a result of non-symmetry in the matter-antimatter formation and destruction, and we are the result of it.

Scientific ignorance of religious people is appalling.  Their schizophrenic, hypocritic rejection of science and acceptance of technology is
all the proof you need to know that people running this con job are ruthless, evil psychopaths who will do anything and say anything to separate fools from their money.

Any company that would offer a non-existing product, charge you in advance and would promise that the product works after you die would end up in court for fraud.

The vast majority of the human population remains ignorant so I am afraid religions will be a necessary evil for few more generations to come.

The main function of religion is to instill fear, establish control and provide answers to ignorant people and stray them from killing each other.

Religion is only right when it is the Holy Spirit acting through the religious person. This makes the religion of your life to be wrong wherever you turn with it... except if you change, that is.

Cool
Activity: 322
Merit: 151
They're tactical
December 02, 2019, 11:46:21 AM

Religion advocate forgiving and redemption no ?

Religion is not about sticking to corrupt structures. All religions warn about the wolf in sheep clothe and corrupt structures.

Science cannot explain everything either, but religion is not really about being dogmatic or against progress, on the contrary most religion have their own eschatology and hope for better future.

This doesnt explain much either.

Lot of great scientist if not all were religious.

Its not a company, you know what jesus said about marchants in the temples etc.

Fear is a powerfull tool to influence people, but religion is not about fear normally its more about faith and hope.
Activity: 322
Merit: 151
They're tactical
December 02, 2019, 11:27:12 AM
On the other hand, in developed countries, the US, Canada, Japan, European countries the numbers fall and Atheism is on the rise.

It just proves my earlier point that religions will die eventually once people become more educated.

It show that religion is getting forgotten in developped country, but in the same time everything become ugly, with concrete bars, high ways, with opioïd crisis, school shooting, suicide rate in japan, there are more and more burn outs and lost people who dont even know why they wake up in the morning. There is not really much anything inspiring or beauriful that comes out of those society anymore that much.

I dont really see religion in opposition to progress, originally religion also bring some progress in society organisation, and were able to stand for certains values and change the system.

Historically in Occident the catholic mornarchy was very dogmatic and prevented society evolution but its not really for theological reasons deeply grounded in the bible either.
legendary
December 02, 2019, 10:55:58 AM

I guess old af-newbie will never understand things like this, even if he is not a woman.

Cool

af-newbie has stated he was deeply influenced by the overt and gross corruption he witnessed peddled by a nominally religious leader in his youth. Witnessing corruption and abuse he rejects religion prima facie.

This is understandable and an example of the tremendous harm that can results from violating the commandment of taking the name of God in vain aka committing evil in the name of God. Hypocrisy is incredibly destructive.

I once wandered away from Christianity but I never had anything like that kind of hurdle to overcome while finding my way back. The religious people I interacted with in my youth were to the best of my knowledge genuine and acting with goodwill.

My path back started with the realization of the practical necessity of Christianity. That sparked a later deeper introspection into the fundamentals.

https://thebl.com/us-news/the-decline-of-christianity-is-seriously-damaging-society-atheists-acknowledge.html

https://www.mercatornet.com/features/view/how-the-west-was-won-by-christianity/23109

Cell death is a non-reversible process.  When your DNA and RNA fragments, there is nothing that would reassemble them and rebuild each and every cell in your body to make you alive again.

A cracker and wine during your Sunday's mass cannot possibly turn into human flesh and blood. That is not chemically possible.

The vast majority of the human population remains ignorant so I am afraid religions will be a necessary evil for few more generations to come.

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1055
December 02, 2019, 09:35:27 AM

Cool

legendary
December 01, 2019, 11:52:54 PM
Join your local mensa society.  Mensa offers reliable tests to prospective members.

Ah Mensa.

I was a member back in my undergraduate days.

We were really organized and even managed to get enough people to start an official Mensa club at the university. That’s harder than it sounds when the admissions test excludes 98% of the population. I was the treasurer which in reality meant I managed the pizza money and picked up the pizza for the monthly meetings which were interesting.

I still remember my feelings of smugness when I got in. I was a shallower person back then and felt IQ to be much more important than I do now. Not sure how it’s done today but back then the official test was a timed paper and pencil exam with a proctor and you got the results via mail a while later.

Good memories overall but I let my membership expire after I graduated. I understand the appeal but am no longer a fan of it’s exclusionary nature centered as it is around an inherent biological variance.

What we do with the gifts we are given is much more important than the exact abundance and quantity of what we are born with. With the benefit of age I am now much more interested in groups that focus on the former not the latter.

It doesn't seem like you are losing your Mensa qualities at all.

----------

Solomon in the Bible, had 700 wives, and 300 concubines. Most Bible scholars will tell you that the reason why he had so many women, was because he was marrying into ruling families of the various nations, to make peace with them, and wisely rule the world. But there is something else...

Ecclesiastes 7:27,28:
27“Look,” says the Teacher, “this is what I have discovered:

“Adding one thing to another to discover the scheme of things—

28while I was still searching

but not finding—

I found one upright man among a thousand,

but not one upright woman among them all.”

This passage seems to bother women. They think that Solomon must have been some kind of masochistic woman-hater to write a proverb like this. And the idea of him having a thousand women seems to back it up.

What the women don't realize is that Solomon was talking about himself and his women, not about them or other women. But since they don't realize this, maybe Solomon WAS talking about women in general. Cheesy

Cool
legendary
December 01, 2019, 11:31:01 PM
Join your local mensa society.  Mensa offers reliable tests to prospective members.

Ah Mensa.

I was a member back in my undergraduate days.

We were really organized and even managed to get enough people to start an official Mensa club at the university. That’s harder than it sounds when the admissions test excludes 98% of the population. I was the treasurer which in reality meant I managed the pizza money and picked up the pizza for the monthly meetings which were interesting.

I still remember my feelings of smugness when I got in. I was a shallower person back then and felt IQ to be much more important than I do now. Not sure how it’s done today but back then the official test was a timed paper and pencil exam with a proctor and you got the results via mail a while later.

Good memories overall but I let my membership expire after I graduated. I understand the appeal but am no longer a fan of it’s exclusionary nature centered as it is around an inherent biological variance.

What we do with the gifts we are given is much more important than the exact abundance and quantity of what we are born with. With the benefit of age I am now much more interested in groups that focus on the former not the latter.
legendary
December 01, 2019, 11:08:20 PM
Can you suggest a reliable test for IQ?  Grin

I am not sure about being reliable, but you could try

http://test.mensa.no/

It should reliably measure IQ between 85-115.

If you score outside of this range, you will get a message saying that your IQ cannot be reliably measured by this test.

How did you do on the test?     Cool
legendary
December 01, 2019, 08:34:32 PM
Can you suggest a reliable test for IQ?  Grin

I am not sure about being reliable, but you could try

http://test.mensa.no/

It should reliably measure IQ between 85-115.

If you score outside of this range, you will get a message saying that your IQ cannot be reliably measured by this test.

Activity: 37
Merit: 0
December 01, 2019, 03:45:00 PM
legendary
October 29, 2019, 10:01:51 PM

The number of Atheists is not correct.  

There are more than 138 million Atheists in China alone.

Probably just a difference in counting methodology or limiting the definition of atheism to only hard atheism. It can make a large difference in the numbers for this kind of question. For example recently (2017), Pew found that only 3 percent of Americans say they are atheists. However the same study found that a much larger group — around 9 percent — said they do not believe in God or a universal spirit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2017/4/13/15258496/american-atheists-how-many

More like not counting methodology.

There were 61% of "convinced Atheists" in China in 2015 as per Gallup poll:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_China

That is a lot more than the reported 10+ million (3%) in the US.

According to global Win-Gallup International studies, in 2017, 9% of the global population was in the "convinced Atheist" category:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

That is more like 700 million, not 138 as reported in the article you posted.  I suspect the author of the article lowered the numbers not to cause panic among Christian readers.  

Christianity gets more followers in poor countries, where average IQ is low, the education system is of poor quality or non-existent,
countries in Africa, Latin America are good examples.

On the other hand, in developed countries, the US, Canada, Japan, European countries the numbers fall and Atheism is on the rise.

It just proves my earlier point that religions will die eventually once people become more educated.

Of course there are going to be large numbers of people in China that say they agree with the Chinese Government's party line. They want to live, and be relatively free from oppression. They don't know if the pollsters are secretly documenting their names and locations to hand over to government. They are playing it safe. Polls in China mean nothing.

Cool
legendary
October 29, 2019, 09:49:07 PM

Probably just a difference in counting methodology or limiting the definition of atheism to only hard atheism. It can make a large difference in the numbers for this kind of question. For example recently (2017), Pew found that only 3 percent of Americans say they are atheists. However the same study found that a much larger group — around 9 percent — said they do not believe in God or a universal spirit.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vox.com/platform/amp/science-and-health/2017/4/13/15258496/american-atheists-how-many

More like not counting methodology.

There were 61% of "convinced Atheists" in China in 2015 as per Gallup poll:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion_in_China

That is a lot more than the reported 10+ million (3%) in the US.

According to global Win-Gallup International studies, in 2017, 9% of the global population was in the "convinced Atheist" category:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism

That is more like 700 million, not 138 as reported in the article you posted.  I suspect the author of the article lowered the numbers not to cause panic among Christian readers.  

Christianity gets more followers in poor countries, where average IQ is low, the education system is of poor quality or non-existent,
countries in Africa, Latin America are good examples.

legendary
October 29, 2019, 09:10:33 PM

legendary
October 29, 2019, 03:58:30 PM

There are millions of Americans getting away from the religions of their parents and grandparents every year.  There are probably a few people doing exactly that as I type this post.
Ancient cults: 0
Science: 1

See you in the movies.

Not Quite

Christianity Booming, Atheism Declining around the World, Report Says
https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/christianity-booming-atheism-declining-around-the-world-report-says.html
Quote from: Michael Foust
The headlines might declare that Christianity is declining in the United States, but new research shows it’s growing faster than the population around the world – and atheism and agnosticism are on a gradual decline.

The 2019 Status of Global Christianity report shows there were 2.5 billion Christians in the world as of mid-2019 – a major increase from the 1.98 billion Christians in 2000 and more than double the number of Christians (1.2 billion) in 1970. Christianity is growing worldwide at a rate of 1.27 percent each year and outpacing population growth (1.20 percent) – and is booming in Africa (2.37 percent), Asia (2.79 percent) and Latin America (2.29 percent).

By comparison, there were 138 million atheists around the world in mid-2019 – slightly more than the 137 million in 2000 but less than the 165 million in 1970. Atheism’s annual growth (.04 percent) is less than that of the population, and the number of atheists worldwide is projected to decline to 132 million in 2025.

Agnosticism and those affiliated with the “nonreligionists” category also are on the descent, according to the report.

The Status of Global Christianity report is released by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.

A Pew Research Center study this month showed the percentage of American adults who call themselves Christian has declined the past decade, from 77 percent to 65 percent, while the percentage of U.S. adults who identify as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” has risen from 17 percent to 26 percent in that same span.

Globally, though, the data is opposite of the Pew data, according to the Status of Global Christianity report.

There were 716 million agnostics in the world as of mid-2019, but by 2025 that is projected to fall to 707 million. Nonreligionists numbered 854 million this year but are expected to fall to 839 million by 2025.

Much of Christianity’s growth is due to its surge in other continents. Africa (119 million) and Asia (160 million) each have more Christians than North America (100 million).

Among Christian traditions, evangelicalism (2.19 percent) and Pentecostalism/charismatic Christianity (2.26 percent) are growing faster than Protestantism (1.61 percent) and Roman Catholicism (1.02 percent).

Christianity: 1
Scientism: 0

The number of Atheists is not correct.  There are more than 138 million Atheists in China alone.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_atheism

It is fair to assume that the rest of the article is pure apologetics' bullshit.

About 16% of people are nonreligious
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irreligion
legendary
October 29, 2019, 03:31:46 PM

There are millions of Americans getting away from the religions of their parents and grandparents every year.  There are probably a few people doing exactly that as I type this post.

See you in the movies.

Not Quite

Christianity Booming, Atheism Declining around the World, Report Says
https://www.christianheadlines.com/contributors/michael-foust/christianity-booming-atheism-declining-around-the-world-report-says.html
Quote from: Michael Foust
The headlines might declare that Christianity is declining in the United States, but new research shows it’s growing faster than the population around the world – and atheism and agnosticism are on a gradual decline.

The 2019 Status of Global Christianity report shows there were 2.5 billion Christians in the world as of mid-2019 – a major increase from the 1.98 billion Christians in 2000 and more than double the number of Christians (1.2 billion) in 1970. Christianity is growing worldwide at a rate of 1.27 percent each year and outpacing population growth (1.20 percent) – and is booming in Africa (2.37 percent), Asia (2.79 percent) and Latin America (2.29 percent).

By comparison, there were 138 million atheists around the world in mid-2019 – slightly more than the 137 million in 2000 but less than the 165 million in 1970. Atheism’s annual growth (.04 percent) is less than that of the population, and the number of atheists worldwide is projected to decline to 132 million in 2025.

Agnosticism and those affiliated with the “nonreligionists” category also are on the descent, according to the report.

The Status of Global Christianity report is released by the Center for the Study of Global Christianity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary.

A Pew Research Center study this month showed the percentage of American adults who call themselves Christian has declined the past decade, from 77 percent to 65 percent, while the percentage of U.S. adults who identify as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” has risen from 17 percent to 26 percent in that same span.

Globally, though, the data is opposite of the Pew data, according to the Status of Global Christianity report.

There were 716 million agnostics in the world as of mid-2019, but by 2025 that is projected to fall to 707 million. Nonreligionists numbered 854 million this year but are expected to fall to 839 million by 2025.

Much of Christianity’s growth is due to its surge in other continents. Africa (119 million) and Asia (160 million) each have more Christians than North America (100 million).

Among Christian traditions, evangelicalism (2.19 percent) and Pentecostalism/charismatic Christianity (2.26 percent) are growing faster than Protestantism (1.61 percent) and Roman Catholicism (1.02 percent).

Christianity: 1
Scientism: 0
legendary
October 29, 2019, 03:10:53 PM

There isn't any "without religion." Nobody can get away from religion. ...

There are millions of Americans getting away from the religions of their parents and grandparents every year.  There are probably a few people doing exactly that as I type this post.

https://www.beliefnet.com/news/why-are-americans-turning-away-from-religion.aspx

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/atheism-fastest-growing-religion-us/598843/

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/6/4/18644764/church-religion-atheism-secularism

And what is going to happen in the next 20-30 years:

https://www.pewforum.org/2018/06/13/young-adults-around-the-world-are-less-religious-by-several-measures/

See you in the movies.

Your links don't say anything about people moving away from religion. All they talk about is people changing religion. Often people move away from a religion that has God in it simply because they don't understand how God pervades the whole of the universe, macro to micro. Where do they move? To a religion without a formal god... like atheism. But maybe Buddhism or Hinduism, where if there are gods, they are understood way less than God in Christianity or Allah in Islam.

Cool

So we are back to word definitions?  What is new?  Is English your second language?

https://www.google.com/search?q=religion

BTW, the articles say exactly that.  Americans are leaving religion in droves.

I use definitions from here - https://www.dictionary.com/browse/religion?s=t - because generally they are more complete.

Articles can say anything. If they say "religion" but don't say "formal religion" it's their problem. However, even if they say formal religion, everybody is formal in his life. So the articles need to be more specific. Why? Because by the nature of it, atheism is a formal religion. By the nature of it, science theory is a formal religion - because it has a bunch of believers when they all know it can be changed on a moment's notice.

In your atheism or whatever religion, you don't even realize that you are standing up as god by denying Him.

Cool
legendary
October 29, 2019, 02:21:59 PM

https://www.beliefnet.com/news/why-are-americans-turning-away-from-religion.aspx

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/09/atheism-fastest-growing-religion-us/598843/

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/6/4/18644764/church-religion-atheism-secularism

https://www.pewforum.org/2018/06/13/young-adults-around-the-world-are-less-religious-by-several-measures/

See you in the movies.

Your links don't say anything about people moving away from religion. All they talk about is people changing religion. Often people move away from a religion that has God in it simply because they don't understand how God pervades the whole of the universe, macro to micro. Where do they move? To a religion without a formal god... like atheism. But maybe Buddhism or Hinduism, where if there are gods, they are understood way less than God in Christianity or Allah in Islam.

Cool

So we are back to word definitions?  What is new?  Is English your second language?

https://www.google.com/search?q=religion

BTW, the articles say exactly that.  Americans are leaving religion in droves.
legendary
October 29, 2019, 01:52:31 PM

See you in the movies.

Cool
legendary
October 29, 2019, 01:25:13 PM

Why do I even bother?  I am guessing you don't know much except that Jesus is your king. LOL.

Oh, we know quite a bit about our origins, and nothing matches your fairy tale.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/28/world/human-origins-botswana-scn-trnd/index.html

You don't need logic to make your worldview coherent, magic and ancient myths is all you need.

Good luck.  I am done.  You 'win'.

That's a good question. Why do you bother? Knowing Jesus as my King places me way above you in knowledge. But since you can't get this into your head, why do you bother?

All that stuff that you suggest is knowledge about our origins - NOW GET THIS - when you look at the actual writings by the actual scientific investigators, they all say that they THINK that this is the way it is. You are basing your beliefs on the kinds of "knowledge" that has proven over and over in the past to be faulty. And they say it because they don't say that this is the way it was, rather they say that they think that this is the way it was.

I am, however, glad that you have a religion... even if it is that religion. It is a starting point for you. There is still chance that you will remember my and CoinCube's words when you are so low that you want to commit suicide. And maybe, just maybe, you will wake up to salvation.

Cool

Maybe because I care about people, and because I care about what is actually true.  Take care, my friend.

“With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil - that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

See you in the movies.
Pages:
Jump to: