Pages:
Author

Topic: How do we get the women on board? - page 16. (Read 38423 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
July 28, 2011, 06:47:28 PM
Think about it RATIONALLY -- why do stereotypes refuse to die? The one about women liking to shop? The one about software engineers being male?
Because they are repeated so often that people feel obligated to fit into the stereotype. People adjust to the stereotypes because they don't want to be "weird".
Activity: 182
July 28, 2011, 06:46:29 PM

They want shinies, they want fast transfers, they might won over by ideology, but probably not the ideology of libertarianism. They want to use the system that their favorite site uses, and they want to use the system their friends use. This by the way probably describes how mainstream males think too.

Way to stereotype, much! lol.

I'm a female who was actually drawn to bitcoin for the ideology of libertarianism. But yes, I also would like to see it used in my favorite sites, would like my friends to use it (though this wouldn't impede my own use of it if they didn't) and, yes, what I quoted from your initial post above pretty sums up over 90% of men as well.

To this end, while women will certainly play a role in getting bitcoin to go maistream, I think bitcoin needs more of an air of familiarity. Websites that have attractive, rather than just functional designs, would be a good start. More merchants selling more than just gadgets (though I do know a few female gadget fiends) - Bitcoin World Market will probably get a decent female following once bitcoin takes off as it sells beauty therapies, scented candles, gourmet and organic food items, chocolate... OK, now I'M stereotyping, cos I can easily live without chocolate. lol.

Incidently, BWM it will also probably get a really decent gay following. THAT's a fringe market that might be worth soliciting before the mainstream gets in on the act - particularly 30 something+, professional (whether in the arts, corporate or other business sectors), with no dependents.

Quite frankly, I think an air of exclusivity coupled with sophistication is what bitcoin needs. Bitcoin-only offers to special events, one-offs or limited editions that can only be purchased with btc... Basically, something that will make people have to buy bitcoins in order to take part in this special offer/event/promotion/exclusive service would be a good idea, something that makes them feel like trendsetters rather than geeks. This would be my idea, I guess, of the "shine" you mention women want.

There is an adult site that sells some "gadgets" that women might like for bitcoins.  Thats a start maybe. lol
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 28, 2011, 06:32:45 PM
I am the Bitcoin Queen! Bitches...

Maria.

and i thought you were sweet.
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
July 28, 2011, 06:12:59 PM
Me rockin a shirt I helped design.  I'm an avid Bitcoin miner, hardware enthusiast, and mediocre as hell Starcraft2 player and even worse MW2 player.  And yeah I love shopping Tongue

Activity: 392
Merit: 250
July 28, 2011, 04:48:31 PM
So in your mind, because one potentially false stereotype fails, most stereotypes can't be false?  Outside the US there are plenty of stereotypes about Americans - are all those true?

If they hold any water, yes.

Too many people today are brainwashed by "political correctness".

Think about it RATIONALLY -- why do stereotypes refuse to die? The one about women liking to shop? The one about software engineers being male? The one about "boy bands" having vapid lyrics? The one about sports fans not being deep-thinking philosophers? The one about Americans being smug, not learning other languages, and being materialistic and taking on too much debt? I could list dozens of them.
If they had no basis in reality, they would die quickly. But they have quite a basis in reality.

They're a shortcut to complete analysis, yes. But a shortcut that works MOST of the time, with few exceptions.

We make all kinds of assumptions all day, every day. You don't always have the time for a fair, objective, in-depth analysis of everything.

I'm sorry, but if were a hiring manager, and there were three people applying for a software engineering job, named Amanda Jones, Deshawn White, and Wolfgang Wattenburg, and I didn't have access to any information than their names, I'd probably do the "un-PC" thing and choose the German-sounding guy. True, he might be the one exception to the stereotype, and the female might be particularly good at programming -- but it's usually smart to go with the odds.

And remember -- the exception proves the rule. Just because you can show me a single female computer programmer will not cause me to throw my hands in the air and say, "You're right, there's no pattern. Programmers are male and female." No, you merely showed me an exception, which is remarkable because it's an exception to the rule.

Activity: 140
July 28, 2011, 03:57:03 PM
but there's a reason why stereotypes exist Wink
I thought that reason was ignorance?
Tell us why few women are here.
I did.

If women are equal to men in every way, then WHY aren't they represented equally on this forum?
I'm not sure what "equal to men in every way" means. 

He's right -- stereotypes exist because they're true 90% of the time. Plain and simple.
Including most racial stereotypes?
Seriously how do you determine 90%?  What sample did you use?  Was it well randomized?  What is the size of the population?
Congratulations, this is one of the reasons I think stereotypes exist.  People's brains want to see patterns and they suck at statistics.

If I started stereotyping Americans as people that like to drive their cars into trees, the stereotype would die pretty quickly because A) it's stupid B) it has no basis in reality.
So it wouldn't catch on.
So in your mind, because one potentially false stereotype fails, most stereotypes can't be false?  Outside the US there are plenty of stereotypes about Americans - are all those true?
Activity: 392
July 28, 2011, 03:38:16 PM

Oh, come on.

Tell us why few women are here. If women are equal to men in every way, then WHY aren't they represented equally on this forum?

Is the big bad European white male keeping them off forum.bitcoin.org?  I doubt it.

Obviously there are gender differences that go beyond "plumbing". To deny that is to deny reality.

He's right -- stereotypes exist because they're true 90% of the time. Plain and simple.

If I started stereotyping Americans as people that like to drive their cars into trees, the stereotype would die pretty quickly because A) it's stupid B) it has no basis in reality.
So it wouldn't catch on.
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 28, 2011, 02:24:58 PM
Yeah, we need someone to make a new site for money storage, bitcoin buying, etc like paypal (though PP rips people off and is being boycotted, hence why we need a new one).

I distrust regular banks and would prefer to be able to buy bitcoins with physical cash, but failing that it would be good to have a safe website to transfer money to for bitcoin purchases.

Also, attracting women shouldn't be too hard. A bitcoins-for-kitchen-appliances store should suffice.
Activity: 140
July 28, 2011, 02:16:45 PM
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
July 28, 2011, 01:05:21 PM
I'm going to say we shouldn't get the women onboard for now.

First impression makes a big difference and if the first few women decides the experience's awful, you can be sure the power of the Women's p2p network will pretty much give Bitcoin a stinking reputation that would take years to overcome.

There's nothing wrong with Bitcoin right now.  However, we lack the infrastructure to make online BTC transactions as seemless and user-friendly as using Paypal, let alone buying things at B&M shops.  I think one big piece of the puzzle we're missing is a Paypal-like entity to serve as a kind of escrow-slash-exchange which will encourage people to actually use their Bitcoins to buy things without fear of getting scammed. Add to that a secure, easy to use mobile app for POS transactions and we're almost "there".  That's it... so simple, but yet as with many other things in life, simple doesn't necessarily mean easy.

Whether you're a guy or a girl at this point in the game is largely irrelevant IMHO.
July 28, 2011, 12:13:04 PM
forum.bitcoin,
sometimes i seriously question your dedication to sparkle motion!
Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit
July 28, 2011, 11:45:41 AM
Here's an idea: maybe stop acting as though women are some completely alien thing, and then all but the bravest won't run screaming?
+1

Alas, this is how most insecure people deal with "otherness."
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
July 28, 2011, 11:13:32 AM
Johnny knows what the ladies like Cool Treat them right and the bitcoins will flow freely Wink

Hmm does that mean my idea of a secured intra-uterine bitcoin wallet for women and a corresponding 8 inch secure roll-on transaction key which communicate using low frequency physical waves wouldn't work?
Activity: 28
July 28, 2011, 10:28:17 AM
Johnny knows what the ladies like Cool Treat them right and the bitcoins will flow freely Wink
Activity: 308
July 28, 2011, 09:11:29 AM
Here's an idea: maybe stop acting as though women are some completely alien thing, and then all but the bravest won't run screaming?
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
July 28, 2011, 03:09:37 AM
Yeah, screw all that shoes/purse noise.  Just give me the ability to spend my Bitcoins at NewEgg or TigerDirect and I'm good.
Activity: 277
July 28, 2011, 01:18:11 AM
Women will hop on board when bitcoins can be held on a 2x2mm chip and embedded into anything. Then we can start putting them in fancy purses and high heels.

Then we will get to the really sexy part: when women get to kick you in the groin to finish a high-heel to jock-strap bitcoin embedded transaction! yeehaw!

July 28, 2011, 01:14:03 AM
lol nice story

i imagine it more like this:

boy shows girl a site with shoes/shiny objects (on 20 percent discount for btc or exclusively for btc).

girl: i want those shoes.

boy: ok, just polish your nails and I will get the discount for you.

girl: oh, you would do that, sweetie

boy: sure hon

girl gets in the next room to polish her nails. boy transfers creates a new mybitcoin account for his girlfriend and transfers 15 BTC (100 usd) to it. when she is done she comes back to the computer.

girl: so?

boy: so I set it up for you. Here is you new bitcoin account. If you wanna buy these shoes you just have to login to this site (like when you do online banking), click here and here and send the amount to this address. got it?

girl: oh, that's easy. thank you.

girl buys shoes for 20% less (and might forget to pay boy back) and is introduced to the bitcoin world.

the end Wink

girl: The bitcoin thing you setup for me the other day doesn't work anymore, it says I don't have enough money!

Warren Buffet / Bill Gates : No worries, I'll transfer more into your account anytime you need to buy more stuff, give it about 10 minutes.

Average Guy: erm, you have to put money into your eWallet

Girl: How do I do that?

Guy: ... 

Cheesy
Activity: 182
July 28, 2011, 01:01:55 AM
lol nice story

i imagine it more like this:

boy shows girl a site with shoes/shiny objects (on 20 percent discount for btc or exclusively for btc).

girl: i want those shoes.

boy: ok, just polish your nails and I will get the discount for you.

girl: oh, you would do that, sweetie

boy: sure hon

girl gets in the next room to polish her nails. boy transfers creates a new mybitcoin account for his girlfriend and transfers 15 BTC (100 usd) to it. when she is done she comes back to the computer.

girl: so?

boy: so I set it up for you. Here is you new bitcoin account. If you wanna buy these shoes you just have to login to this site (like when you do online banking), click here and here and send the amount to this address. got it?

girl: oh, that's easy. thank you.

girl buys shoes for 20% less (and might forget to pay boy back) and is introduced to the bitcoin world.

the end Wink
July 28, 2011, 12:59:40 AM
about motivation: read above

you need to offer things exclusively or at a significant discount for btc to get motivation.

otherwise no girls (ok, not many) for bitcoin in the foreseeable future.

merchants need to make a living as well. We cannot expect them to help promote bitcoin and take a loss just to overcome inherent infrastructure difficulties.

The bitcoin economy as it is, has to focus on the tech savvy market first. People who don't mind a bit of trouble to try things out. If they are bitching about problems, you can be sure the average joe is going to take it even worse. After ironing these issues out, the economy/ecology around bitcoin should had reached a critical mass to make it attractive for bigger corps to take an interest, who could invest in the necessary convenience features. Once that step is reached, the bitcoin usage avalanche should just about start.
Pages:
Jump to: