Pages:
Author

Topic: How do we get the women on board? - page 15. (Read 38423 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 251
July 28, 2011, 10:09:08 PM
If women want to buy shoes, purses, jewelry, makeup etc... Then let them. I'm not arguing women aren't different from men; They are like day and night when it comes to purchase patterns.
Men don't give a shit about purses and makeup, and women don't give a shit about electrical stuff or hardware.

I find myself unfortunate to love ALL that stuff.  I got as excited at the $189 5870 at NewEgg as I did when I found out that Dillard's started carrying MAC cosmetics (Lip Glass ftw!!) lol that just means that I'm always going to be one broke mouse.

Sure, but you don't represent the average female online consumer, who will likely guess Nvidia is some type of eyeliner.
Of all the products I've sold on forums and sites like alibaba/ebay, women would only order or locally pick up things like open box Prada shoes at a discount. I've sold computer stuff to a female customer maybe once or twice, and those were basic ethernet cables to an old lady.

It would be a big waste of cash to market GPUs or anything related to mining to that demographic

If only online retailers like Zalando that cater to mid-high range female clothing and shoes would accept BTC as a payment method, the popularity among bitcoin would skyrocket, largely due to word of mouth and positive image due to assurement from a big seller.

You never know about fashion designers either, their personalities are one in a million, some like Ralph Lauren might be quirky enough to consider payments in bitcoin after reading the concept.
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 28, 2011, 09:29:03 PM
Guys dig technology more than girls. Once Bitcoin is more about currency and less about technology then we'll see more women using it.

speak for yourself. Cheesy
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
July 28, 2011, 09:24:09 PM
Maybe I should start a BTC to Sephora Gift Card service...

Cheers,
Kermee
Activity: 321
Merit: 250
Firstbits: 1gyzhw
July 28, 2011, 09:21:58 PM
Guys dig technology more than girls. Once Bitcoin is more about currency and less about technology then we'll see more women using it.
Activity: 182
July 28, 2011, 08:58:05 PM
Atleast the ladies that are reppin us are smoking hawt
Activity: 126
July 28, 2011, 08:55:57 PM
As one of the women Wink, I'd suggest building the bitcoin marketplace so that there's something to spend these shiny new bitcoins on.  I've now got some bitcoins, and am looking around.  There are a few places to spend bitcoins, but the marketplace is still primitive.  When it isn't primitive any more, *then* you'll get a few orders of magnitude more people (men and women) participating.

Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 28, 2011, 08:32:11 PM
12?
really now...

tits or get the **** hahahah
j/k

I love all women.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
July 28, 2011, 08:16:35 PM
Tough to believe over 6 percent women in the poll.

There are no name brand clothing, handbag or shoe companies accepting bitcoin.  Smiley
Activity: 182
July 28, 2011, 08:14:01 PM
I would so love that if my girlfriend started mining (in her apartment)!
Activity: 406
July 28, 2011, 08:09:30 PM
Suggestion: Let every miner/minester (not to generalise into male/female stereotypes) say to his/her spouse/partner/fiancee:
"Hey, listen up! I opened a bitcoin account for you (i.e. address) and I will put half of what I earn with mining on it. It's free for you to use in any online bitcoin shop!"
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Side-stepping the matrix | Bit by bit
July 28, 2011, 08:04:44 PM
As a woman and an avid bitcoin user, I do take exception to the casual assumption that Libertarian ideology or the obvious advantages of bitcoins for internet purchases do no appeal to women.  

Of course part of the problem is that bitcoin adherents at the moment are almost exclusively part of the tech industry in some way and that industry is (for whatever reason) largely dominated by men, so of course men hear about bitcoins and are involved first.  That does not by any means suggest that women interested in tech or even libertarian women cannot and do not find something of value in the currency (witness the ladies who have commented on this thread).    

One thing that would help with mainstream appeal, which is what OP appears to actually be addressing, rather than women specifically, would be a larger range of items that people can actual buy with Bitcoins.  Even at Bitcoin Harbor, we find that the most common items for sale are tech products, though we have been reaching out to a variety of merchants in the community.    

Also I feel that the explanations of bitcoins out in the internet tend to be too tech heavy.  The average consumer doesn't care about mining, cryptography or even avoiding government scrutiny.  They want to know how to get bitcoins, how to spend them and how not to get them stolen.  Until newbies to bitcoins can find that information in a non-threatening and easy to understand way, it's always going to be difficult to sell.  

Christine
+1
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
July 28, 2011, 07:35:29 PM
no link in your sig... what store is it from? you look hot by the way.

also... i must be *really* out of touch with women's fashion these days... never heard of this:

Thanks!  The shirts are available at http://www.SquareWear.biz.  Lip Glass is this lip gloss that goes on super thick and fills in all the little lines and cracks in your lips so that it looks like they're coated with lacquer.  Think Britney Spears' lips at the beginning of uh.. damn what was that one video where she's dressed up as a school girl??  I never was a big Britney fan, oh well.  Anyway, yeah it gives your lips a really glossy wet look.  Only thing is, your hair will stick to it like crazy, which is about the only drawback.  That and the $15 per tube cost.
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
July 28, 2011, 07:31:47 PM
hah, awesome shirt! nice job with that, mousepotato.

Thanks!  I can't take full credit though.  I just made the base PSD and Gabriel Beal did the rest.
Activity: 812
July 28, 2011, 07:29:04 PM
Me rockin a shirt I helped design.

no link in your sig... what store is it from? you look hot by the way.

also... i must be *really* out of touch with women's fashion these days... never heard of this:

Lip Glass ftw!!
Seal Cub Clubbing Club
July 28, 2011, 07:27:58 PM
If women want to buy shoes, purses, jewelry, makeup etc... Then let them. I'm not arguing women aren't different from men; They are like day and night when it comes to purchase patterns.
Men don't give a shit about purses and makeup, and women don't give a shit about electrical stuff or hardware.

I find myself unfortunate to love ALL that stuff.  I got as excited at the $189 5870 at NewEgg as I did when I found out that Dillard's started carrying MAC cosmetics (Lip Glass ftw!!) lol that just means that I'm always going to be one broke mouse.
Activity: 812
July 28, 2011, 07:22:56 PM
Whether you're a guy or a girl at this point in the game is largely irrelevant IMHO.

some guys being more largely irrelevant than others Cheesy
Activity: 309
July 28, 2011, 07:17:04 PM
Me rockin a shirt I helped design.  I'm an avid Bitcoin miner, hardware enthusiast, and mediocre as hell Starcraft2 player and even worse MW2 player.  And yeah I love shopping Tongue

hah, awesome shirt! nice job with that, mousepotato.
Activity: 34
Merit: 0
July 28, 2011, 07:21:29 PM
As a woman and an avid bitcoin user, I do take exception to the casual assumption that Libertarian ideology or the obvious advantages of bitcoins for internet purchases do no appeal to women.  

Of course part of the problem is that bitcoin adherents at the moment are almost exclusively part of the tech industry in some way and that industry is (for whatever reason) largely dominated by men, so of course men hear about bitcoins and are involved first.  That does not by any means suggest that women interested in tech or even libertarian women cannot and do not find something of value in the currency (witness the ladies who have commented on this thread).    

One thing that would help with mainstream appeal, which is what OP appears to actually be addressing, rather than women specifically, would be a larger range of items that people can actual buy with Bitcoins.  Even at Bitcoin Harbor, we find that the most common items for sale are tech products, though we have been reaching out to a variety of merchants in the community.    

Also I feel that the explanations of bitcoins out in the internet tend to be too tech heavy.  The average consumer doesn't care about mining, cryptography or even avoiding government scrutiny.  They want to know how to get bitcoins, how to spend them and how not to get them stolen.  Until newbies to bitcoins can find that information in a non-threatening and easy to understand way, it's always going to be difficult to sell.  

Christine
legendary
Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002
July 28, 2011, 06:57:55 PM
thanks - I changed it in the op.

no! no need to deposit anything that's the beauty of it.

you simply can implement it on the merchant checkout and it will give the customer the total in BTC and the address where to send it to with an graphic step by step guide.

As a customer you only need to be able to handle your client or online wallet - everything else will be shown to you step by step!

You see, where's the customer going to get her wallet full of bitcoin? You want to teach the average person (nevermind woman) how to put together a $1K rig and mine for 1 month to buy that US$30 item? Wink

Or ask them to go through the whole mess of buying from an exchange?

That's what I mean by an extra step. We're missing that easy step from cash already in the bank to bitcoin payment for the average person. Like I said, Paypal could had been a good partner and make it easy for the average person to buy bitcoin. But since they see bitcoin as a threat and has unacceptable chargeback policies for the nature of bitcoin...

we're close:  http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=31181.0
Activity: 252
July 28, 2011, 06:51:02 PM
If they hold any water, yes.

Too many people today are brainwashed by "political correctness".

Stereotypes can be profited from due to some reasons you listed (grain of truth, etc)

Sell female-oriented products with easily obtainable bitcoins and you're in for a massive market.

From a business persp., nobody should care  'why' they opt for those products as long as they have money to pay for it.
I for one don't care whether the revenue comes from someone with a dick or someone without. I don't care about the evolutionary psychology behind it.

The only relevant thing is they have enough money to pay for something marketable with bitcoins, which makes women an untapped market worth a lot of money.
If bitcoins were easier to obtain than Paypal funds or credit card payments, ordinary women would use BTC every day.
Pages:
Jump to: