Pages:
Author

Topic: How do we get the women on board? - page 18. (Read 38423 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 502
July 27, 2011, 10:39:04 PM
Women in general(the girly girl type, hehe) will only see bitcoins as something thats practical once they can buy their favourite makeup,shoes,toiletries etc. with bitcoins and preferably at a little less than with cash.

ps. whats with selection sex as other , do we have real trolls in here? Tongue
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
July 27, 2011, 10:30:02 PM
OHhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait a second. this could be BAD. I just realized something.
Women return things constantly.

Say Woman buys shoes for 10BTC, Woman returns shoes, Woman wants 10BTC back.
Meanwhile BTC went up, after hearing about Woman using BTC.

Woman, fights till death over it.
Activity: 98
I'm Crazy about Bitcoin, trading Quartz for BTC
July 27, 2011, 10:24:33 PM
I have shiny objects for bitcoin, Women usually like them... Smiley
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
July 27, 2011, 10:21:11 PM
Just like I mentioned earlier:

make http://www.zalando.com accept Bitcoin exclusively

and the Bitcoin economy will get a boost 10 times the way it had in its best times so far.

(chicks all over Europe get crazy about that online shop - it's like Amazon for women!!!)
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
July 27, 2011, 10:13:40 PM
As a self-diagnosed sufferer of Asperger's syndrome who posts on forums about cryptocurrencies and has misogynistic tendencies due to my inability to view women as anything other than a two dimensional caricature based on modern media, I consider myself to be a professional on women.

Like the others in the thread, I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

I also agree that are too dumb and not selfish enough to grasp perfect idealogies like libertarianism, so here are my suggestions about how to get more women involved in Bitcoins:

Rename wallet.dat to purse.dat, maybe CoCoPurse.dat, women love purses!

Replace long Bitcoin addresses with short dictionary words, like "dog", or "house", or "sexinthecity". Women might be able to work with short words

I know what you are saying, but when I asked my wife that question "how to get more women to use bitcoin", the first thing out of her mouth was, "Sell stuff women want, shoes and purses!".  So there you have it.  Straight from the mouth of a (non-geek) woman.
July 27, 2011, 10:13:19 PM
Several people have suggested clothing, shoes, handbags etc...

A perfect match exists. It's called etsy.com

They are a site for handmade and vintage stuff. Most of the merchants are some girl or guy working out of their residence.

I have no idea whether or not or how one could convince etsy.com to accept bitcoins, but if it meant increasing sales, I think most any of those merchants would go for it.

I think it works like ebay in that they pay some money to etsy per sale, so given etsy's terms, I'm not sure if they'd ever be able to do it through etsy itself or if they'd want to sneak around etsy and make a deal through some other channel.

It's not just clothes and purses and shoes. They have a nice selection of hand made glass uh tobacco pipes. And other cool stuff.

there really isn't a face-palm pic on the internet good enough for this thread.

This thread so embarass... Embarrassed

Etsy could be perfect for more smart women here, it's exactly what bitcoin needs, but it would only really work well for bitcoin if Etsy was bitcoin only.
However if someone could convince Etsy to become an exchange or even just allow sellers to accept bitcoin, that could be a big plus.
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
July 27, 2011, 09:42:08 PM
As I write this, there are currently more "other" than female in the poll.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
July 27, 2011, 09:37:22 PM
btc4shoes.com

haha this made me picture some guy selling his last pair of boots just to get his hands on some btc.
Activity: 126
Merit: 100
July 27, 2011, 09:32:00 PM
I am the Bitcoin Queen! Bitches...

Maria.

not so fast.....

You want to get women on board give them some Bitcoins to spend.  If your wife or gf can't find something to buy they will work on converting retailers to accept Bitcoin.  This will both expand the Bitcoin merchant base and stimulate the Bitcoin economy.
Activity: 832
July 27, 2011, 09:10:11 PM
I am the Bitcoin Queen! Bitches...

Maria.
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
July 27, 2011, 08:46:40 PM
Several people have suggested clothing, shoes, handbags etc...

A perfect match exists. It's called etsy.com

They are a site for handmade and vintage stuff. Most of the merchants are some girl or guy working out of their residence.

I have no idea whether or not or how one could convince etsy.com to accept bitcoins, but if it meant increasing sales, I think most any of those merchants would go for it.

I think it works like ebay in that they pay some money to etsy per sale, so given etsy's terms, I'm not sure if they'd ever be able to do it through etsy itself or if they'd want to sneak around etsy and make a deal through some other channel.

It's not just clothes and purses and shoes. They have a nice selection of hand made glass uh tobacco pipes. And other cool stuff.

there really isn't a face-palm pic on the internet good enough for this thread.

This thread so embarass... Embarrassed
July 27, 2011, 07:07:42 PM
can any of you imagine what they use for passwords.
here is a hint:

"imadirtylittleslut"

and then they smirk everytime they type it. XD

We will have to insist they use more intricately thought provoking passwords.
That password is NSFW.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251
July 27, 2011, 07:02:53 PM
Quote from: JeffK
I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

Nothing which is fringe has support among women. Women tend to concentrate in averages in everything. Female bitcoin users are of above average intelligence, capable of understanding concepts like cryptography and hence rare.

Bitcoin will gain the support of women when it's not 'unknown', 'new' or 'scary'.
That is, when you can use it to buy coffee at starbucks or pay your groceries.

Or when your grandmother can use a swipe-card to buy medicine by bitcoin in a physical pharmacy.

I don't particularly care whether it's evolutionary biology, hormone levels or brain differences, but that's reality.
I'm only interested in profiting from reality rather than judging or profiling people with no gain. Since most women behave this way it must be natural behavior.

So while it might be entertaining to make fun of their pettiness, conformity or general lack of 'guts', there is nothing to be gained from hating them. If those traits have survived for millions of years in the DNA chain then there must be *some* benefit to them.

Women with internet access have money just as men do. Which means tapping into an uncharted market (female e-currency users) can potentially yield huge profits if done and marketed right.
Emphasizing the safety aspects of bitcoins. The fact you could use a mobile phone to send money to your kids, friends, relatives, etc.
Being able to pay for everyday, but also finer products and services women use. Definitely start with something like women's handbags or brand shoes. Jewelry. Cosmetics. Yes that's shallow but that's what women like in general, the end.
Activity: 280
July 27, 2011, 07:02:50 PM
As a self-diagnosed sufferer of Asperger's syndrome who posts on forums about cryptocurrencies and has misogynistic tendencies due to my inability to view women as anything other than a two dimensional caricature based on modern media, I consider myself to be a professional on women.

Like the others in the thread, I believe all women are superficial and care only about shiny objects, clothing, other material goods, and things with matching colors.

I also agree that are too dumb and not selfish enough to grasp perfect idealogies like libertarianism, so here are my suggestions about how to get more women involved in Bitcoins:

Replace long Bitcoin addresses with short dictionary words, like "dog", or "house", or "sexinthecity". Women might be able to work with short words

you are a fucking genius! of course the addresses should be even shorter. bringing us to... namecoins!
Activity: 350
Merit: 251
July 27, 2011, 06:59:50 PM
100 private keys is probably NOT the way to go. It is complicated, and ugly (it could be an option but not standard(
Proposal: One private key should be standard. It should not be in hex, bas64, or anything else ugly. One thing that could work would be a sort of dictionary encoding, where every 20 bits or whatever is mapped to a word. The word in the dictionary would have to be carefully selected to be positive, or at least neutral. If this is chosen, there should be a "generate new address", so that people could click until they found one they were satisfied with.

I completely agree with the direction of your original post, and most of the ideas you present.

Regarding the idea of using a dictionary to map receiving addresses to words, it seems quite clever, maybe along the lines of how the Amazon payphrases are constructed.  For fun I tried implementing this using a spell check dictionary of about 500,000 mixed English words, with punctuated words removed.  My address:

1samr7UZxtC6MEAFHqr1h3Kq453xJJbe4

translated to:

Chaplinesque-stuccoworker-prevail-unadduced-gola-focalisation-fettlings-undependent-kulkarni-Canadian

The dictionary I used is broad and isn't limited to the emotional connotations you're looking for.  Creating such a dictionary will take a lot of people more than 10 minutes, and would be shorter, potentially requiring more words per address.  But whatever dictionary is selected, the choice would bind us to the locality that dictionary comes from, i.e. it would make bitcoin American-English centric.

So, is this any more palatable?

I do not think i could remember all that. although i like hiding things, so i could hide all of them papers and put a number on each word. the number would construct a large number i have memorized and is important to me. so you would need to know where all the words are, and the number to put them in order.
Activity: 350
I never hashed for this...
July 27, 2011, 06:55:02 PM

Activity: 140
Merit: 430
Firstbits: 1samr7
July 27, 2011, 06:49:58 PM
100 private keys is probably NOT the way to go. It is complicated, and ugly (it could be an option but not standard(
Proposal: One private key should be standard. It should not be in hex, bas64, or anything else ugly. One thing that could work would be a sort of dictionary encoding, where every 20 bits or whatever is mapped to a word. The word in the dictionary would have to be carefully selected to be positive, or at least neutral. If this is chosen, there should be a "generate new address", so that people could click until they found one they were satisfied with.

I completely agree with the direction of your original post, and most of the ideas you present.

Regarding the idea of using a dictionary to map receiving addresses to words, it seems quite clever, maybe along the lines of how the Amazon payphrases are constructed.  For fun I tried implementing this using a spell check dictionary of about 500,000 mixed English words, with punctuated words removed.  My address:

1samr7UZxtC6MEAFHqr1h3Kq453xJJbe4

translated to:

Chaplinesque-stuccoworker-prevail-unadduced-gola-focalisation-fettlings-undependent-kulkarni-Canadian

The dictionary I used is broad and isn't limited to the emotional connotations you're looking for.  Creating such a dictionary will take a lot of people more than 10 minutes, and would be shorter, potentially requiring more words per address.  But whatever dictionary is selected, the choice would bind us to the locality that dictionary comes from, i.e. it would make bitcoin American-English centric.

So, is this any more palatable?
Activity: 28
Merit: 0
July 27, 2011, 06:36:35 PM
My FPGA miner has a matching blue heatsink.
Now that's some dirty talk....tell me more! Cheesy

There are at least two women on this forum! One got a nice bitcoin tattoo and i saw another one that bought a bitcoin t-shirt and posted pictures! Please don't scare them away.
Activity: 280
July 27, 2011, 06:32:40 PM
I am working on accepting bitcoins at my wife's boutique:

http://www.heidijosboutique.com

Unfortunately I set up the shop before taking Bitcoin into consideration so it will require some modification.

Nicely done & professional site.  If you added BTC's as a form of payment, I'd think it'd be the first on-line "Boutique"-style store that accepted BTC...

I can see the potential female customer now asking her significant other...

"But honey... It's only ฿8.92857143... Pretty PLEASE?!"

Wink

Sounds so much more inexpensive than $125.00 USD throwing in the psychological aspect of it...

Cheers,
Kermee

The decimals HAVE to go. They are everything that is wrong with bitcoin as it is now
Activity: 520
Merit: 253
July 27, 2011, 06:28:23 PM
My fiancee (yes, a woman) is working out the details of a somewhat more stylish bitcoin clothing line than the standard "white text on black shirt" we geeks seem so fond of and plans on offering the whole line for BTC.

Looking forward to this -- I'm a heterosexual guy and a geek who cares about his looks. (My FPGA miner has a matching blue heatsink.)
Pages:
Jump to: