Pages:
Author

Topic: How long till the end of the USDollar? - page 7. (Read 7709 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 20, 2013, 04:53:08 PM
being a depreciating asset means people are not willing to spend their money, and instead hoard it.. why? because it keeps increasing in value. for a currency to be a true one, it needs to encourage free spending.

Understand two things:

1. Nobody hordes till they die (and if they do, they probably needed to die)
2. The market adapts because people adapt

There is nothing stopping you from spending Bitcoin, except in the case of things you really don't want or need which sounds like more of a solution to me than anything.  Is Bitcoin bad for a debt-based economy?  Absolutely!  Does anyone really like our debt-based economy?  Only the few who don't work for a living.

1. that still doesn't lead anyone with knowledge to think that BTC will be the standard world currency. of course people are spending their BTC, but if the world economy is doing well.. people will have to invest. and BTC's inherent deflationary nature means that there'd be less people willing to invest; so how could people switch over to BTC as the standard currency?
2. how does this really prove anything? that's just a broad statement.

people are and will be spending bitcoin, and i never argued against that.. but you need to have a healthy level of encouragement to "spend" in order to keep the economy going.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
November 20, 2013, 04:49:23 PM
being a depreciating asset means people are not willing to spend their money, and instead hoard it.. why? because it keeps increasing in value. for a currency to be a true one, it needs to encourage free spending.

Understand two things:

1. Nobody hordes till they die (and if they do, they probably needed to die)
2. The market adapts because people adapt

There is nothing stopping you from spending Bitcoin, except in the case of things you really don't want or need which sounds like more of a solution to me than anything.  Is Bitcoin bad for a debt-based economy?  Absolutely!  Does anyone really like our debt-based economy?  Only the few who don't work for a living.

this is what happened in rome when the empire decided to dilute their currency (they melted gold and mixed it with bronze, making the coins less pure). people, instead of spending their best assets, horded them and used the cheaper metals.while this didn't exactly cause their downfall, it was a stage that contributed to it.

thinking that BTC will become the main world currency one day is just a pipe dream.

You say that like it's a bad thing the Roman empire fell.
November 20, 2013, 04:42:22 PM
USD will not fall until  USA falls
No. USD will fall when the USA makes the switch to Bitcoin as its official currency. With it the banking cartel will fall and the world will be a better place.

sorry, but this is just a wild BTC-lensed dream. BTC is a deflationary quasi currency. it cannot be used as a standard for currency for this reason.

Considering that the US is currently trillions of dollars in debt, I would think 5 years, ot 50 years, or 500 years.  It would depend on how the government is handling things.

nearly every major government is printing out unprecedented amounts of paper notes. see here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/liamhalligan/8484530/Americas-reckless-money-printing-could-put-the-world-back-into-crisis.html

I support what your point is but the stuff you said doesn't make any sense xD
I don't see how overprinting is related to Bitcoin not replacing the dollar?

this is what happened in rome when the empire decided to dilute their currency (they melted gold and mixed it with bronze, making the coins less pure). people, instead of spending their best assets, horded them and used the cheaper metals.while this didn't exactly cause their downfall, it was a stage that contributed to it.

thinking that BTC will become the main world currency one day is just a pipe dream.
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
November 20, 2013, 04:19:03 PM
No. USD will fall when the USA makes the switch to Bitcoin as its official currency. With it the banking cartel will fall and the world will be a better place.

sorry, but this is just a wild BTC-lensed dream. BTC is a deflationary quasi currency. it cannot be used as a standard for currency for this reason.

Considering that the US is currently trillions of dollars in debt, I would think 5 years, ot 50 years, or 500 years.  It would depend on how the government is handling things.

nearly every major government is printing out unprecedented amounts of paper notes. see here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/liamhalligan/8484530/Americas-reckless-money-printing-could-put-the-world-back-into-crisis.html

I support what your point is but the stuff you said doesn't make any sense xD
I don't see how overprinting is related to Bitcoin not replacing the dollar?
November 18, 2013, 07:29:40 PM

legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1029
November 18, 2013, 06:50:33 PM
Considering that the US is currently trillions of dollars in debt, I would think 5 years, ot 50 years, or 500 years.  It would depend on how the government is handling things.
November 18, 2013, 04:59:24 PM

wow, that's an interesting possibility (altough very very unlikely Cheesy)
but don't you think there would be new Bitcoin banks?  Grin
Activity: 938
Merit: 500
https://youengine.io/
November 18, 2013, 08:25:53 AM
USD will not fall until  USA falls
November 18, 2013, 07:04:15 AM
I can't find never in the poll, everyone is so pessimistic about USD?

Fiat currencies have never lasted through history before, why is the USD special?  Because you use it?

The thing that makes the dollar special is that the US government taxes are paid in Dollars.  As long as the USA exists as a wealthy nation of over 300 million people, the dollar will be a valuable currency. 

That doesn't make the dollar special, that makes the dollar like every single fiat currency to have ever existed.

What makes the USD special?

nothing, but it doesn't make him go away, USD will not fall until  USA falls, almost everything today is paid in dollars especially online.
until terrorists take down the US, USD will  prevail Cheesy
legendary
November 18, 2013, 04:41:06 AM

Fiat currencies have never lasted through history before, why is the USD special?  Because you use it?

The thing that makes the dollar special is that the US government taxes are paid in Dollars.  As long as the USA exists as a wealthy nation of over 300 million people, the dollar will be a valuable currency. 

That doesn't make the dollar special, that makes the dollar like every single fiat currency to have ever existed.

What makes the USD special?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1001
November 18, 2013, 04:28:56 AM

Activity: 326
November 18, 2013, 03:47:18 AM
It will never end...
legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
November 18, 2013, 01:27:11 AM
I'll just repeat myself again here. US debt is so high that they can't even pay the interest on their loans. This means the debt will keep increasing endlessly until the chinese get sick of seeing their money disappear, at which point the dollar will go belly up.

That is simply not true.  The US has never missed an interest payment.   The interest is about $54 per month per person is the US.  Not that this is a good thing, but the amount of interest is not going to kill the US dollar quickly.  With some pretty simple (but not politically simple) budget cuts the deficit could be closed. 

In the long term it is not sustainable. 
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
November 17, 2013, 11:44:14 PM
Never

Dollar cant collapse, just inflate.

This
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
November 17, 2013, 08:52:30 PM
It's hard to tell but I would say around 5-10 years
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
November 17, 2013, 08:25:39 PM
Wow, lots of doomsayers.  I sure hope it lasts more than 8 years.
Why? All fiat currencies have to die.
Zombie currencies do exist, though.  Mostly operated by vampires.

Not even vampries can stay away from gold Grin
Yep.

But so far I have not seen any of the walking dead coming after bitcoins.
legendary
November 17, 2013, 07:56:11 PM

Not even vampries can stay away from gold Grin
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
November 17, 2013, 05:31:50 PM

Activity: 938
https://youengine.io/
November 17, 2013, 10:20:23 AM
Never, USD is a strong currency....
Bitcoin is orders of magnitude stronger. Darwin will tell you how this will play out.
Activity: 574
freedomainradio.com
November 17, 2013, 09:59:06 AM
A less than 1 year option should be added to the poll  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: