Pages:
Author

Topic: How long till the end of the USDollar? - page 9. (Read 7709 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
November 16, 2013, 04:01:38 AM
It's really not much different than Bitcoin other than the lack of auditing and privacy protection. The value in the US Dollar comes from the ease of use and infrastructure behind it. Just as Bitcoins are "created out of thin air" from mining and processing transactions.

are you saying that bitcoin is not that much different from USD other than the lack of auditing and privacy protection? how do paper notes lack privacy protection? and only a finite number of BTC can be created, at least in theory.. the USD can, and it is debased by the day.. it has no store of value. that's a monumental difference.
legendary
Activity: 2006
Merit: 1028
Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!
November 16, 2013, 03:55:43 AM
It's really not much different than Bitcoin other than the lack of auditing and privacy protection. The value in the US Dollar comes from the ease of use and infrastructure behind it. Just as Bitcoins are "created out of thin air" from mining and processing transactions.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
November 16, 2013, 01:02:53 AM
i don't know but our economy is currently going through a liquidity trap.. oddly enough, the value of our currency is only inflating at 2%. it's bad news because it reflects low confidence from the private sector.. and it seems like a viscous cycle. no one is willing to invest because they don't think the economy is going to improve.. and part of that reason is because our fed just continues pumping federal note after federal note.

i just learned about all of this, and i'm in no way an expert.. but to my novice eyes, printing out A LOT of money and having your currency not "inflate enough" (ie: people taking out loans) just ends up pulling a slingshot back farther and farther.. for one explosive event.
Yeah, in the technical economic lingo this is called 'latent inflation'.  The effect of printed money is always delayed.  The 'stable case' is where economic growth more or less matches pace with the rate of printing. 

That we never will return to.
Activity: 434
November 16, 2013, 12:43:03 AM
i don't know but our economy is currently going through a liquidity trap.. oddly enough, the value of our currency is only inflating at 2%. it's bad news because it reflects low confidence from the private sector.. and it seems like a viscous cycle. no one is willing to invest because they don't think the economy is going to improve.. and part of that reason is because our fed just continues pumping federal note after federal note.

i just learned about all of this, and i'm in no way an expert.. but to my novice eyes, printing out A LOT of money and having your currency not "inflate enough" (ie: people taking out loans) just ends up pulling a slingshot back farther and farther.. for one explosive event.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
November 15, 2013, 11:15:30 PM
Activity: 280
November 15, 2013, 11:09:30 PM
I think we need some longer options in the poll...
Activity: 490
Merit: 500
November 15, 2013, 11:07:44 PM
Not anytime soon

At least another 15 to 20 years in its present form..
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1042
Death to enemies!
November 15, 2013, 11:03:59 PM
Government issued currency including dollar is not going away in foreseeable future. Just like paper fiat complemented coins Bitcoin will complement coins and paper money. But Bitcoin is better and will force gold standard to return.

My answer - dollar is not going away anytime soon. Yes the economics can collapse and dollar can get devalued like ruble did but it still is a dollar.
Activity: 255
November 15, 2013, 11:03:38 PM
Never, USD is a strong currency....
Activity: 280
November 15, 2013, 10:45:31 PM
Im thinking around 10 years, maybe less, maybe more. Hard to tell because it depends on how the US government handles the current situations and how many and the quality of the alternatives that form as replacements.
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
November 15, 2013, 10:39:45 PM
Just choose what you feel.
Pages:
Jump to: